PDA

View Full Version : First Tuesday in September

Blondie
September 3rd, 2013, 07:00 AM

Hello Folksies and Happy September

September is already in full swing, isn't it? I have moments when I forget what day, month it is. It isn't a senior moment; it is called blinking my eyes and saying "what the heckfire shoot" . . . in other words, I have never known a faster year than this. Already noticing the difference in how it is getting dark earlier in the evening.

Our holiday was quiet, I have been staying down at Mom's mostly. She is okay; just needing some Blondie time. She has occasional bouts with pseudo-gout and it has been flaring the past few days. The flare up has diminished and I came home just a few moments ago to kiss the big fella bye bye for the day. We have lost power three times in the past week. Last night was for a few hours. The rest of the time it has been like a huge power surge POP and then after a moment or two comes back on. It affects many homes in our "quadrant". Duke Power has told us they don't know what the problem is. Hubs says it is because our squirrels and birds are so well fed.

I did some hand work while at Mom's, nothing super duper phenomenal; it is just too dang hot for me to sit with a quilt in my lap, y'know? I prefer to quilt with my eyes through magazines lately. I even found some ancient Sewing with Nancy vhs tapes while down at Mom's. Mom adores Nancy the way we adore Jenny.

Off to crawl into my own bed for a few hours. Mom is such a bed hog.

Blessings, hugs, smiles to each one here.

mamaquilt
September 3rd, 2013, 07:21 AM
Hi Blondie,

Nice to hear from you. I'm having a little rest at the moment and go thru the emails on my PC. Here in Luxembourg we have the nicest September weather and I took the opportunity to clean all our windows. The downstairs ones are all done. Maybe when I hurry up I'll get the binding on the mystery sewn. I have to do it during daytime, as I can't see to well because of the black color.
Hope your Mom is doing fine. I'll have to check up on Dad's house as he's gone to Hamburg and Berlin with one my sisters. So that makes 3 houses for me to look after. Luckily we're not far away from each other.
Have a nice day all of you and keep smiling

HandsOffItsMine
September 3rd, 2013, 08:04 AM
Heck Firefire Shoot! September Already!!! Where the heck is this year going???

Blondie at least you got to snuggle with your Mama! :) I got to snuggle DH who has been dealing with sinuses, it's like sleeping with a bear. Even with a pillow over my head, I can hear the rumbling of his snoring. Add the thunder we've been having for the last two nights. Oy! I have two 70 pound suitcases under my eyes!!

Michèle, you are having wonderful weather...enjoy it. My folks are coming from Holland at the end of the week. My dad will be expecting Calif/Hawaii weather, HA! Not here in Atlanta, Matt told him September was his best bet for nice weather and not too much humidity. Well the forecast isn't looking to good. :( Think I better start looking for a beach town in Florida or just get in the car and head south east toward the nearest beach town hotel with a Vacancy sign for him. lol

Waiting for the plumber that was to show up on Thursday, the dumb office girl put it on her calendar but not on the technician's, so I waited Thursday for 3 hours for nothing. :( How do people like that keep their job and others who have been looking for jobs for years can't find one?!? She said, "Oh well, you can just have him come out on Tuesday right. No big deal." If I could have head slapped her through the phone, I would have! UGH *sigh*

Renate
September 3rd, 2013, 08:15 AM
A bright smile back to you all

Terri
September 3rd, 2013, 08:25 AM
Good morning to everyone! Blondie your posts really brighten my day, thank you so much for that.

Yes, it's September already. I have ANOTHER birthday approaching sooner than I would like, but it's better than the alternative. :D My mind tells me I'm not getting ready to be 52, but my old body tells me otherwise. :icon_confused: Looking forward to wonderful vacation in the mountains, Pigeon Forge/Sevierville area later in the month....combined celebration of my bday & our 33rd anniversary. Hard to believe it's been that long.

My Dad always told me that the older you get the faster time passes.....I certainly believe that now. The days, weeks & months just seem to run together. I once told him that I was just ready to get a rocking chair to sit on the porch & watch time go by!!

Everyone have a wonderful & blessed day!

Terri

Iris Girl
September 3rd, 2013, 08:39 AM
Morning all, gray and cloudy here today. Have work, then my neighbor and her sister have gracious volunteered to take me to get my machine back. I made them each a set of fall coasters as a small thank you. I am excited to have my machine back not that the workhorse is bad it just lacks my creature comforts I got spoiled with. Hope everyone has a good day and smile. Our 30th anniversary is coming up middle of the month. If my feet didn't bother me walking and standing I would still feel like I was in my 30's...

MRoy
September 3rd, 2013, 08:41 AM
Good morning! We had thunderstorms again late yesterday and overnight but they're supposed to be over for a day or two. I finished the tumbler baby quilt top yesterday. I have enough fabric left to make another one and I'm thinking about using the half-hexie for the next one. I need to get batting and backing fabric for both quilts now. These will be donation quilts through the quilt guild. Have a good day everyone!!

Bubby
September 3rd, 2013, 09:05 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

I was up until almost 3 am unable to sleep. It's going to be a long day. Jeff is off today so we will run to Rolla to buy some building materials for the new structure going up in our side yard. Mark my words, it will end up being larger than our house by the time it's done!

I dug out some completed quilt blocks to lay out for a guy quilt for Jeff. He can't believe these have been laying around all this time. It's a Double slice made from a rustic looking fabric line. Too much brown and green for me, but it will fit well into his guy room. I may work some baby corduroy into the border or binding for something different.

Blondie, good to see you back online. I hope Mom feels better today. Poor little thing, she goes from one misery to the next. We have a tenant with gout and let me tell you she's miserable when hers acts up. I feel so sorry for her. The docs here tell people with gout to eat cherries.

Everyone have a great Tuesday....where is this year going!

Monique
September 3rd, 2013, 09:09 AM
Good morning friends. What a weekend! With the fair going on, I had all the kids and dogs for the weekend. Two dogs that had to be kept separate. The little one thinks she is a big dog and does not like the big dog. Jersey was put out that I had to keep her out of the kitchen. Of course lots of grandma kisses were given to Maizyn. I picked up all my stuff from the fair yesterday and guess what I won. A QUILT! I had bought 24 tickets for a quilt draw for Victoria's Quilts and we won. A beautiful quilt it is. I will get a picture for you. Although they did tell my brother-in-law he had won. They got the brothers mixed up. I have sold the baby quilt. Three sisters have asked for this quilt and I know the third one is the one who will pay and actually come and pick it up. I have a meeting tonight that I forgot all about.

Today I need to get the floors washed after all the dog slobbers. So have a great day everyone.

MayinJerset
September 3rd, 2013, 09:44 AM
Miss Blondie, Happy to see you smiling face this morning, you always get us off to a good start with some good words and a cute cartoon.

Another rainy day, although yesterday the sun did come out a few times. DH grilled 3 big hamburgers and with DS#3 we had our End of Summer BBQ. Only other time DH grilled this year was on 4th of July when he made a few hot dogs. DH doesn't like to BBQ, garden or do anything outside except sit and read and take a nap.

September is here and we all seem to be getting in the Fall mood. Lots of quilty stuff coming up, my small quilt/book group meeting tonight, workshop at guild on Saturday and general meeting on Sunday. Need to finalize plans to attend friend's retreat in Lancaster PA area, Thursday the 19th to Sunday the 22nd. Need to finish my challenge quilt too. I usually arrive on Friday and leave Sunday morning but this year instead of going home we need to travel to MA for grandson's 13th Bday on Sunday. Trip from PA to MA will be about 7 hrs but we try to make all the kids Bdays. Should have thought to celebrate it when he was here this summer. He was kind of a slug this summer, either playing with computer or cell, eating or sleeping - hope this is just the teen age boy mode he's in.

Iris and Terri, getting older and realizing you can't do things or walk as far as you used to does take the fun out of doing stuff but Keep on Truckin' is my motto, I get there sooner or later - mostly later with a few stops along the way to rest.

Hey, Sun just popped out so maybe there is hope for a nice day today.

nyscpa2be
September 3rd, 2013, 09:57 AM
Good morning all. Except, there may not be enough coffee in the world for me this morning.

Last night, we got one hellacious thunderstorm. It was awful - over an hour long, started with a large red swath on the weather map, lots and lots of lightening, and wind. A friend of my mom had 2 trees fall on her house. I got to spend the evening in the bathroom with Tobey - its the only place he isn't barking like crazy.

After the storm, I started getting one really big headache. I think it was the major pressure change, as my other two triggers weren't present. So I had to take a migraine pill that costs $5 each - need to restock before I lose insurance. This morning, I'm very groggy and having trouble waking up.

Today might be a good day, or might not. I have a job interview at 3 - its at a temp agency, and I had to call for the interview, they never called me as the website said they would. Then they were supposed to email me forms to fill out before the interview - haven't gotten those yet, either.

I also put in an application at Joanns last night for a seasonal worker position - I hate to do that, as I should really be focusing on getting a career job that matches my MBA, not on any job, but since I have no job references, I'm really in a tough spot. Plus, this divorce is killing my credit score - another black mark in trying to get a job. Even worse, my MBA class almost all had internships, which is actually norm for MBA students not fully employed, and I didn't - I was too busy taking care of a disabled veteran who broke my heart - no time to add an internship to the mix. So really, all the combined negatives are just working against me, or so it seems, so I can't get a great job - I am the sole person keeping the 100% employment statistic away from my graduating class at college.

Lisapc
September 3rd, 2013, 09:59 AM
I had a quiet weekend for the most part. My Dad was Mr. Chatty when we brought Kora to them last night. We had to bring her home around 5 so that we could come home and get our Lil' Guy ready for early bed because of school this morning and my DD and Sil were at a cookout so my parents wanted some alone time with the GD's. They had the baby all afternoon by themselves. As soon as we walked in Lilyanna started jumping off of my mothers lap and screeching to get to me. She is so funny. I fed her some vanilla ice cream, a whole tablespoon and then called DD to tell her. She just laughed at me because the first thing I do when I am near the baby is ask if she has had some food and when I hear no I get to be the first one to give it to her. Her first tooth is peeking through and her little gums where bothering her so she deserved the cold ice cream.

We had a nice quiet day yesterday and today I am beat. I will do my best to play housewife and get into my sewing room by 2: pm.

I hope you all have a wonderful day full of laughter!

Mom23
September 3rd, 2013, 09:59 AM
Good Morning All,

On a personal level, the weekend was tough. I will just say I could use some prayers. I barely left the house so I did get some great sewing time in. When we were in Alaska I purchased two quilt kits, one of which I started and finished in less than 24 hours. It's amazing what a person can get accomplished when they are in a room, with the door closed, not talking to anyone! I will post pictures when I get it back for being quilted.

Tonight I'm going to take a class with a group of women from my quilt guild. For $10 we are going to be meeting every Tuesday evening and will be making the Irish Chain, Pink Lemonade, and Tennessee Waltz quilts. One of the items requested is June Taylor Shape Cut. I will have to go to the quilt store today to purchase one. I hope it's worth the money, I looked online and they are a little costly.

Blondie, you make my morning and thanks for the sunny outlook. Hope your mom gets better soon. You are such a good daughter and hopefully your kids are learning from the example you are setting in taking such good care of her.

Blessings to all,
Robin

pcbatiks
September 3rd, 2013, 10:15 AM
Good morning everyone..........

Myrna.........your tumbler quilt is too cute! Amy.......wishing the best on your job interview today!

Part of Sunday & Monday I worked on my Master's Degree in Amphibian Studies......spent time both days frogging! :D
Let's just say me and the Loop-de-loo's were fighting and the Loop-de-loo's won! After a broken needle and skipped stitches on Saturday & repeated attempts (worked great on my practice piece) my "inner quilter" kept telling me to "just walk away before you ruin the whole thing". So after one more try I decided to listen. Monday afternoon I came up with another plan.........regular straight machine stitching around random blocks in the background.........that seems to be working.......hope I can finish today.

Prayers to all who need them..........hope you have a great day!

Jean Sewing Machine
September 3rd, 2013, 11:19 AM
Hi everyone! Hey, for all of us feeling the pangs of growing older, they have bern interviewing 64 year old Diana Nyad, the long distance swimmer who has been trying to complete her long distance swim from Cuba to Florida! She made it on the fifth try, and her mantra is "Never Give Up!" Isn't that a great thought for us all?

cyndiofthevortex
September 3rd, 2013, 11:33 AM
Terri, I have two lovely rocking chairs on my front porch. Want to come on over and sit with me a while? There is nothing better than watching the world go by while rocking.

My family comes back from their Bar Harbor vacation today and boy have I missed them! I did get lots of good quilting time in with no interruptions, which was fun and productive. A whole quilt top done in one weekend is a first for me!

Easy does it plans for me today. I love days like this. And the sun is finally out again! Thank you, Lord! I'm tired of the color gray.

There's a baby lamb next door. How cute are their bleats! It's a nice sound to hear throughout the day.

Sheena
September 3rd, 2013, 11:41 AM
Blondie, you have made us laugh. My son and I have been saying 'what the heckfire shoot' over and over again in an American accent. It's just such a hilarious phrase.

So is 'too dang hot...y'know'.

My sides ache with laughing.

Sorry to hear your Mum's not so good and I hope she improves.

We get power cuts too. Not so often these days. The bottom half of our lane gets cut off but we can see lights in the road at the back.

My two sons are back in school tomorrow.

The time is 15.40 here.

Sheena
September 3rd, 2013, 11:44 AM
HandsOffItsMine - we'd just recovered from Blondies words and you go and say 'Heck firefire shoot' and set us off giggling again.

Time is now 15.43.

Sheena
September 3rd, 2013, 11:47 AM
Pam - how interesting to be doing a Masters in Amphibian Studies. We've got some frogs. They come from next doors pond. I once caught four of my hens with a frog. They each had one of its limbs in their beaks and were all pulling. Poor froggy! I rescued him of course, and he seemed none the worse for his ordeal. They're quite stretchy, it would seem.

aliaslaceygreen
September 3rd, 2013, 11:53 AM
Good morning all! Hope your holiday was great! All those who have kiddos heading for the first day of school, I hope that their school year is fabulous! I am almost finished the RVA quilt ---I am WEEKS early. Kinda freaky ...never happens!

Good thing, as my TOdo list isn't getting shorter as the days go by

Have a great Tuesday...short week!

Terri
September 3rd, 2013, 11:54 AM
Sounds lovely! Never been as far north as New Hampshire. Visited DS & DIL last May (2012) while they were still living in Jersey City. Being a Florida native....don't think I could handle the north during the winter!! :D Even after almost 33 yrs in SC, I can not stand the winter temps. Sun is out here today too & it's supposed to get up to about 90-91, in other words HOT! When we go to the mountains later this month we will hear cows, donkey & chickens near the cabin that we rent. It's beautiful there.

Terri, I have two lovely rocking chairs on my front porch. Want to come on over and sit with me a while? There is nothing better than watching the world go by while rocking.

My family comes back from their Bar Harbor vacation today and boy have I missed them! I did get lots of good quilting time in with no interruptions, which was fun and productive. A whole quilt top done in one weekend is a first for me!

Easy does it plans for me today. I love days like this. And the sun is finally out again! Thank you, Lord! I'm tired of the color gray.

There's a baby lamb next door. How cute are their bleats! It's a nice sound to hear throughout the day.

Terri
September 3rd, 2013, 12:06 PM
After the storm, I started getting one really big headache. I think it was the major pressure change, as my other two triggers weren't present. So I had to take a migraine pill that costs $5 each - need to restock before I lose insurance. This morning, I'm very groggy and having trouble waking up.

Amy, I feel your pain....literally. My ENT told me (which I already suspected) that any change in the air/barometric pressure can cause sinus like and/or migraine headache. :( So when we had days on end of rain in June & July I was totally miserable most every day. I don't get stopped up or congested.....it's the severe pain & pressure in the sinus cavities on the right side of my face that hurt to the point that I feel like I want to hurt some one. I take Relpax for my migraines. If I am unsure as to whether it's a migraine or sinus....and the pain is bad enough I will take a Relpax (it knocks me out for 2-3 hrs) and when I wake up if it's gone, it was a migraine....if it's still there it's sinus. The after effects of the Relpax---what I call a drug "hangover" can be hard to deal with.

Saw my ENT Aug 28th, and he talked with me about a procedure that can be done out patient (under general anesthesia) where they go up your nose to an opening that is between/connecting the many sinus cavities. He said mine may be partially blocked/ mostly blocked/ or just not big enough and I may be "catching" air in there. Does that mean I am an "airhead???" :icon_rofl: Waiting to hear from his office for an appt. to have a CT scan done on my sinuses, then we will go from there. :icon_scared: It's pretty bad to "hope" that you have a problem that can be fixed so that pain can be relieved. We shall see......

Sheena
September 3rd, 2013, 12:59 PM
OOps just thought I might have offended most of the population of America by laughing. Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. We were laughing with joy and would have done so if you were right here in our dining room.

K. McEuen
September 3rd, 2013, 01:23 PM
OOps just thought I might have offended most of the population of America by laughing. Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. We were laughing with joy and would have done so if you were right here in our dining room.

You know that you need to say "heckfire shoot" with a real heavy Southern accent to get it right.

toggpine
September 3rd, 2013, 02:01 PM
Sheena, I don't think you offended any of us. There is such a huge difference from region to region, even here in the states, that we all laugh at each other.
The rain rolled in last night, and we knew it was coming. Eric had his knees aching and I had the head pressure thing going on too. I used to take Excedrin Sinus and one pill would do the trick. Of course, they don't make that any more.
I laughed at the comment about hearing the farm animals. When we go on vacation, I'm so glad to not hear them hollering at me when I walk out the back door!

We got some more to-do's done yesterday. It looks like today's list will be mostly focusing on the indoor stuff with the rain. Although Michele has made me think about how dirty my own outside windows are. Maybe we'll get that done since the soap won't dry in the sun!
*My husband is fascinated with the fact that there are so many folks from different countries here. He's been pestering me about Luxemburg (where is it, what's the weather, what kind of topography do they have....) while I have been trying to read this thread. Thankfully I still remember some of my regional geography from my high school German class! Although I'm about ready to tell him to Google it!*

You all have a fine, fabric-filled day!
Cathy

alliek
September 3rd, 2013, 02:47 PM
Yes it has been hot and muggy here in the South of Virginia. The bugs LOVE it. The birds are fighting over the birdbath and we have to fill it twice a day in this weather. Even my marigold leaves are frying . I have to say though, this summer has not been without it's nicer moments and after all it is summer. Spent the weekend here at home, brother came for dinner on Sunday. I made pulled pork, green beans, sliced tomatoes with basil, salad and of course biscuits. It was quiet here, most neighbors were away. Well, I'm off to Jo Ann's with a 40% off coupon! Let me see what I can get. Love to you all. God's Blessings.-Allie

HandsOffItsMine
September 3rd, 2013, 03:26 PM
HandsOffItsMine - we'd just recovered from Blondies words and you go and say 'Heck firefire shoot' and set us off giggling again.

Time is now 15.43.

Sheena, Blondie is my Cyber Sister, my twin. :) Love that woman with all my heart. Marilyn is also a sister of mine. :D

I just love when Blondie says Heckfire Shoot! It always warms my heart 'cause I can picture her in my minds eye saying it with attitude! lol

Huggers, Ruby

HandsOffItsMine
September 3rd, 2013, 03:33 PM
Amy, I'm sorry that you're feeling down about the job situation at the moment. Just remember that you graduated with great grades and you WILL find a job in your field. You've had a bit of a set back but you have to take some time to get your MOJO back GF! :) It will happen!! Now if you have to take something in the mean time to make ends meet and pay the bills, you won't be the first one to have to do that and you won't be the last one! Hang in there, Sweetie!

Huggers, Ruby

Jean Sewing Machine
September 3rd, 2013, 03:44 PM
Amy, I'm sorry that you're feeling down about the job situation at the moment. Just remember that you graduated with great grades and you WILL find a job in your field. You've had a bit of a set back but you have to take some time to get your MOJO back GF! :) It will happen!! Now if you have to take something in the mean time to make ends meet and pay the bills, you won't be the first one to have to do that and you won't be the last one! Hang in there, Sweetie!

Huggers, Ruby
Yea, Ruby! You are so wise and have just the right words for those who need a pick-me-up! Thank heaven for YOU!

ilive2craft2
September 3rd, 2013, 08:54 PM
Just now getting on here for the first time today. I can't wait for things to settle down at work and for the remodeling project to be completed. Living in a construction zone is really not good for my allergies... We have cabinets in the kitchen now, which is progress, but all of the doors on the first floor of the house have been removed, except for the door to our bathroom.

Update on Mom - not sure if I posted yesterday or not - this weekend was a blur. They released mom from hospital on Saturday, saying no pacemaker needed, just need to change her bp meds. Popped in and out checking on her this weekend, then got a call Monday morning at 2 am that she had fallen again and they had called the ambulance. At the ER for a little over 2 hours and then they released her again. She seems a little better today. Very thankful that she is living in an assisted living facility and that they have great staff!

Think I will sneak away to the sewing room and work on my nieces quilt. :)

Mpyles
September 4th, 2013, 12:55 AM
I am really late getting here today...yikes!! Today was suppose to be a long awaited day off after a busy holiday weekend in the to restaurants that included an end of month...sheesh! But alas...not to be. The owner got an email on Monday saying they(corporate) would be at our Lebanon location on Wednesday for an inspection...so that meant getting up this morning driving up there and doing a walk thru with the manager there to be sure we are ready. DH is the district manager and he is off on a fishing trip in Wisconsin so I got the task. And honestly would of gotten the task even if he had been home. So...I am waiting for Saturday to come as I am hoping to take that day off...and then I am on vacation next week. Dd left yesterday to go back to school and DS is never home so it's just been me and the furry kids around here...

I did stop at an antique store in my way home today and picked up an afghan that was the chevron style 3 colors that measured 65 x 95 for 38$. Think I got a steal??

Hope to see you all earlier tomorrow!