PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning, Today is Labor Day.....

MayinJerset
September 2nd, 2013, 08:45 AM
and everyone is off laboring at something special or just still laying in bed taking advantage of an extra day off.

Been up since 6 and waiting for DH to make some coffee but he is still sound asleep so I guess I'll have to make it myself. Kind of cold and damp out and hope it doesn't rain on the outdoor BBQ's and Parties people have planned for today. DH won't mind as he doesn't care to BBQ. He did make a few hot dogs for both of us on 4th of July and I was hoping he'd make a few burgers today. Maybe I'll cook them if I can get DH and DS#3 to finish pulling the overgrown weeds out of the back flower garden.

MRoy
September 2nd, 2013, 08:53 AM
Good morning! I've been up since 5 ...still drinking my coffee. Not much labor for me today. I'm wearing a sock on my left foot instead of a shoe because it's swollen from a wasp sting I got on Saturday. Itchy...itchy! It's time to fix a bite of breakfast. Happy Labor Day everyone!

Doloris
September 2nd, 2013, 08:58 AM
Good morning! I've been up since 5 ...still drinking my coffee. Not much labor for me today. I'm wearing a sock on my left foot instead of a shoe because it's swollen from a wasp sting I got on Saturday. Itchy...itchy! It's time to fix a bite of breakfast. Happy Labor Day everyone!

Myrna, I know this sounds weird, but my niece just told me this weekend that she sprayed some WD40 on a bee sting and it didn't swell up or itch. She is one whose whole arm will swell from a sting or mosquito bite. Don't know if you need to do it right away or if it will work later too, but it can't hurt to try it.

Ginny B
September 2nd, 2013, 09:13 AM
Good Morning all. Been dozing on and off since 5:30 but finally got up around 7:15. Made some tea, took grandpuppy out and then fed him and I've just been reading a bit on the forum enjoying my tea. We will probably head out for some breakfast this morning at the diner and then go to Home Depot to order a new sink for the bathroom. The weather is damp and cloudy so no outdoor stuff today. I will finish up (hopefully) the placemats for dil's shower and then, if I have time, I may cut out a few circles from this nice soft fuzzy orange material for some stuffed pumpkins. I need to get some pellets for weight in the bottom and tried to order them along with some insulbrite and muslin from Joann's yesterday and got so frustrated. I got all the way to checkout, input the code for the 15% off entire order, hit submit order and got a message saying there was an error processing the order. However, it doesn't tell you what the error is. So I go back and check all the info, check the items to make sure I didn't miss any sort of message (out of stock, limit on how many you could order, etc.) but no, there was none so I go back and try again. Same message. I go back and put in a different card. Nope same message. Just tell me what the problem is!! Ok, I'll call customer service -- nobody there. Grrrr. So, everything is still in my cart and I will see if I can solve the issue today. sigh

Have a happy Labor Day everyone. If you have outdoor plans, I hope it doesn't rain on them.

shermur
September 2nd, 2013, 09:20 AM
It's cool here today...YAY! A break from the hot weather? I'll finish up painting the hall bathroom today (I do all the painting, DH doesn't like to and he gets sloppy) and I need to do more cleaning, especially in my sewing room! This three day weekend is going by in such a flash. Yesterday, I must have been very tired, because I took a 4-5 hour nap! Everyone please have a safe holiday and don't work too hard!

Jean Sewing Machine
September 2nd, 2013, 09:32 AM
Hi all! Did my grandpuppies potty walk, now on to flash sewing! I have the pieces cut for a cool quilt I've bern wanting to try for months. The weather is lovely here, whooppee! Have a great day!

Mom23
September 2nd, 2013, 09:40 AM
Good Morning All,

I finally got back into my sewing room yesterday. We got up and went to early Mass, canned 30 pints of salsa and 12 quarts of tomato juice, cleaned the kitchen, and took a nap. Got all that done by 5:00. The boys fixed a frozen pizza and I skipped supper. Couldn't wait to sit down and sew. Finally went to be at 11:00.

I would love to sew today but I might go down to the cabin with my husband. The weather has cooled off so I really should spend some time outside.

Myrna, did you try taking Claritin or Benadryl for the wasp sting? The Benadryl might make you sleepy but Claritin won't. Not sure what else to suggest, but I will keep the WD40 in mind. Let me know if you try that, and if it works.

Blessings,
Robin

Bubby
September 2nd, 2013, 10:30 AM
Good Morning and Happy Labor Day,

We must be doing something wrong, because we're working on labor day! I cleaned my sewing room first thing and put away the mess of a craft project that I worked on for two days.

We are building an outbuilding that's going to be storage on one side for us and a small apartment on the other side. DH will use the apartment side as a man cave and if we ever sell our house it can be a mother-in-law space or a rental. Since DH is off work for Labor Day we will labor at home.

I plan to finish up my tomato quilt this week and take it to Reggie for quilting. Next is a quilt for my DD who fell in love with our Luna Notte quilt. She wants one just like it, so I managed to scrounge up the fabrics I needed. I think I will make the outer border different than ours so the two quilts aren't identical.

I'm out of chocolate and must do something about that this morning!

I hope everyone enjoys Labor Day...stay safe.

Lisapc
September 2nd, 2013, 10:45 AM
Myrna: mix baking soda and water to make a paste. It draws out the poison. This is like a miracle cure if used right after a sting so I hope it brings you some relief now. I personally would add a 1/2 a Benadryl as well.

I think we have Kora coming for a visit and I am going to Flash sew and hang with the Peter's today. I am tired and need a relaxing day. Listening to my body here and I must head!

Have a wonderful day to all!

HandsOffItsMine
September 2nd, 2013, 10:52 AM
Myrna, I hope that some Benadryl will help you with the wasp sting. Any type of bug bite make me head to the ER 'cause they turn into cellulitis. Very yucky!

I've been organizing/cleaning the house, hanging pictures that we haven't unpacked 'till now as my Dad and Stepmother are arriving on the 7th from Holland for 3 weeks. Hoping he behaves! He's a handful!! lol Very young 74, going to be 75 on Dec. 3rd. Still plays Squash 3-4 times a week, is a Qualified Referee in the Squash World Tournaments. Normally will start an argument over being displeased about something with someone where ever we go! Needless to say...visits are a mixed blessing. :P

Since being sick this summer and going through the biopsy and still needing after care which was to start after they leave but now will start while they are here. Hopefully he will realize our time together is precious and will chill!!! A prayer for this would be appreciated. Really, he can really spoil a lunch or dinner out with Kat/Matt/Grand Kids. lol Plus Kat is a sensitive soul and then I have her to deal with too. Frankly that would just be too much for me to handle.

Let's hope I miss hitting my thumb as I hang up the pictures...

Huggers, Ruby

cyndiofthevortex
September 2nd, 2013, 11:17 AM
Myrna, I'm sorry about that swollen foot. I hope you'll have relief from it soon. Ruby, I hope all goes well with your visitors.

I've been up finishing a quilt top I started on Friday afternoon. It is going very quickly even though I've been doing lots of other things this weekend. I'll show it off hopefully today, maybe tomorrow. DH and I are going out today to Ben Franklin with my 50% off coupon. This is when I buy my quilt backs if I can find something pretty. If not a quilt back then a neutral I can use as a background on a quilt. I love having DH home for an extra weekend day! Jonas and I have so much fun together no matter what we end up doing. Happy Labor Day, everyone!

MRoy
September 2nd, 2013, 11:51 AM
Thanks for all the good wishes and advice! I'm using itch cream and taking Benadryl so the itch is tolerable but the swelling is aggravating. I was doing a good deed for DH by opening a gate for him to drive through and had just said that I hoped there weren't any wasps in the gate. Wasps seem to like to nest there. When I moved the gate, one flew out and popped me on the foot before I could get away. No more good deed gate-openings....LOL!

toggpine
September 2nd, 2013, 01:56 PM
I can see that having the computer down the hall will certainly cut into my online time. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but since I don't text, folks have gotten used to me checking my e-mail more frequently than twice a day!

We have one more day with sun, although it's pretty overcast out there now. I have some cleaning to do in the sewing room and some sorting in Em's bedroom. She HAS to sort through some of her things so we can put her new desk in. Although it would be easier if I just did that after she starts back to school!

Ruby be careful with that hammer!
Myrna, the wasps 7 yellow jackets have been really bad around here this summer. They did a piece on them in the news. Apparently the weather this spring led to perfect conditions for a population explosion. We've had multiple nests in unusual places and three stings so far. Ugh!

Gotta go find some coffee and get this day under way!
Hugs and prayers for my quilty friends!
Cathy