PDA

View Full Version : I soooo need winter to get here .....

Lady T
September 1st, 2013, 03:53 PM
so I can start sewing again. :icon_tup:

I usually ease up a little on sewing in the summer months due to nicer weather to be outdoors, gardening, vacationing.....oh yea, and taking care of our hummingbirds. This year has been exhausting!
We currently have 13 feeders out for them and going through 300 ounces of sugar water DAILY!
We scrub feeders between every filling and it is really time consuming -
I love it but it's wearing me out!! A few more weeks and the will be heading south.

I have taken numerous photos and videos of these little jewels and if anyone would like to view them here are the links.
You do NOT need a facebook account to view my photos.

PHOTOS:www.facebook.com/HummerHaven (http://www.facebook.com/HummerHaven)

VIDEOS: [to view more my youtube username is Wunschlos1956 ]

​Hummingbird Filling Station - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXzFu2NW8iU)

Up close - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxuyHzr8joY)

Why YES! I have Hummingbirds - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3z1afIMziQ)

Sheena
September 1st, 2013, 03:59 PM
They're beautiful, you're so lucky. I didn't realise they make such a squeaky chirp. I love the flowery feeders.

Jean Sewing Machine
September 1st, 2013, 04:12 PM
Are they mostly ruby throated hummers? I saw a couple of bright red throats! Having so many is just amazing! We're happy to see three or four at a time here! They are little chracters, aren't they?

Learner quilter
September 1st, 2013, 04:14 PM
How lucky you are. All I get are pigeons.

HdWench
September 1st, 2013, 04:35 PM
What an amazing task you have feeding that many!! We have 2 very aggressive ones that chase all the other hummingbirds birds away and don't know how to "fix" that!!!??? Beautiful tiny birds with such cute personalities, they are so blessed to have you feeding in the summer.

Carol336
September 1st, 2013, 04:39 PM
WOW....that is just amazing.

bubba
September 1st, 2013, 04:40 PM
They will stay over the winter here as long as you continue to feed them....wonder if they would where you live, but I imagine it gets too cold!

Genny
September 1st, 2013, 04:47 PM
Oh I love hummingbirds! Looks like you take really good care of them. Genny

Lady T
September 1st, 2013, 04:55 PM
Are they mostly ruby throated hummers? I saw a couple of bright red throats! Having so many is just amazing! We're happy to see three or four at a time here! They are little chracters, aren't they?

Yes, these are Ruby-Throated. They are so much fun to watch! Entertains us for hours

Lady T
September 1st, 2013, 04:56 PM
How lucky you are. All I get are pigeons.

:) Funny! but pigeons can be pretty

Lady T
September 1st, 2013, 04:58 PM
They will stay over the winter here as long as you continue to feed them....wonder if they would where you live, but I imagine it gets too cold!

We keep feeders up until we don't see any birds for at least 3 weeks. They know when it's time to move on :)

Learner quilter
September 1st, 2013, 05:45 PM
:) Funny! but pigeons can be pretty
Maybe ... But not the fat greedy ones I get in my garden... :icon_rofl:

DCM
September 1st, 2013, 06:14 PM
Thank you for sharing your videos. They are gorgeous. I wouldn't get anything done if I were you. What beautiful creatures to watch!

Madeforyouinma11
September 1st, 2013, 11:03 PM
They are beautiful! I've always wanted to have feeders for hummingbirds..maybe next year. What month do they come back?

Lisapc
September 1st, 2013, 11:46 PM
They are beautiful! I've always wanted to have feeders for hummingbirds..maybe next year. What month do they come back?

I am in Tyngsboro, 5 minutes to the NH border and I put mine up in mid March. I have 6 little feeders and it takes a week or two for them to show up regularly. Then they are here until the temp drops to below 70 during the day and 50 at night. Usually late September/early October. I fill 4 out of the 6 daily. They are amazing to watch but it still make me a little nervous when they buzz right in front of your face and just stay there for a minute.

Lady T
September 2nd, 2013, 09:20 AM

We usually start seeing them the end of April - early May

Jean Sewing Machine
September 2nd, 2013, 09:27 AM
I am in Tyngsboro, 5 minutes to the NH border and I put mine up in mid March. I have 6 little feeders and it takes a week or two for them to show up regularly. Then they are here until the temp drops to below 70 during the day and 50 at night. Usually late September/early October. I fill 4 out of the 6 daily. They are amazing to watch but it still make me a little nervous when they buzz right in front of your face and just stay there for a minute.they remind you to refill the feeders that way! One stalked my husband constantly when we lived in the country while he worked in the yard til he got the message that they wanted Food!

Lady T
September 2nd, 2013, 09:31 AM
They are definitely SMART birds!

RFREE
September 2nd, 2013, 10:28 PM
This is way crazy cool. I just love hummingbirds. Thanks for sharing.

Hulamoon
September 2nd, 2013, 11:10 PM
We don't have them in Hawaii:( We have Mynah birds that hop all over the yard and roads. Funny little things.

Sheena
September 3rd, 2013, 12:52 PM
Your birdies are so lovely I've just had another peek at them on youtube. So cute.

Pandabear
September 3rd, 2013, 08:45 PM
I get about 3-4 hummingbirds a year and they chase each other constantly. I have two feeders but they seem to prefer one to the other. Odd. I'm in VA and we start to see them April/May. They'll stay until it gets colder.

Your hummingbirds are all very very lovely. I wish we could get more!!