PDA

View Full Version : What to do, what to do......

bubba
August 30th, 2013, 05:55 PM
This is the first Labor Day weekend in twelve years that I won't be spending w/the rest of my family at our lake place, all because of that place called work!! Now don't get me wrong, I was really excited about having a whole entire weekend to myself and Matilda! No husband, no dogs, grandkids and children, as they are all at the lake without me!!

Well.......working Monday (Labor Day), is a double time day for me. I didn't ask to work it, I got assigned, along with several others. I had asked someone who was off if they wanted the double time and they told me no. Oh well, double time is nice. This morning, I got an email from him that said he would like to work it afterall. Naturally, I did not tell my husband (who at the time was on the way to the lake w/four of the grandkids (ages 6-12) and both our dogs in the truck. I thought to myself...oh boy!!! A whole entire day to myself, no work or nothing!!!

Well, as the day goes on, I'm starting to feel a little guilty. I'm thinking I should head out there when I get off at 3pm, or stay home and quilt the night away......not to mention Monday when I will have several hours to quilt all to myself!

Tuesday should be my only day off, as scheduled, and we will have two grandchildren with us and I'm sure it's going to involve some school shopping, so I am inclined to just stay home and hope for the best.

What would you do??

NanaB
August 30th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Selfishly, I would enjoy the time alone at home. You deserve it. Enjoy it.

Iris Girl
August 30th, 2013, 06:12 PM
I think I would enjoy the time alone.

bubba
August 30th, 2013, 06:25 PM
I knew I liked this place!!!! :D

Sharyn J
August 30th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Oh, I'd definitely be enjoying the time to myself. Getting those days to enjoy all by yourself are hard to come by. Enjoy your day!

easyquilts
August 30th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Take the opportunity to get to know Matilda! OTOH, will you miss being with the family? Up to you!

easyquilts
August 30th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Now that I've thought it over, I think I would love the time alone.... Oh yes.....

Lisapc
August 30th, 2013, 08:07 PM
I would call hubby and see what he really wanted me to do not just what he says he would like me to do. If I couldn't call him I would likely surprise them all.

I really could use the time alone but I would definitely go up and join them.

K. McEuen
August 30th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Stay home. I'm all for not being on the road during a holiday weekend. There have already been a couple of bad crashes on the highways here, with everyone trying to get out of town fast.

Hulamoon
August 30th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Enjoy your time:)

Gayle8675309
August 30th, 2013, 10:21 PM
I'd live on peanut butter sandwiches and sew, sew, sew!

toggpine
August 30th, 2013, 10:41 PM
I'd vote for home. I'd probably feel guilty, but not enough to get in the car and double the gas bill.

aliaslaceygreen
August 30th, 2013, 10:49 PM
I'd zip my lip and STAY home!!!

lilmouse
August 31st, 2013, 01:37 AM
I would stay home! Traffic here was horrendous...bumper to bumper in town at 2:30 in the afternoon...stay home and stay safe!

bubba
August 31st, 2013, 02:25 AM
Phew!!! Made it thru another phone call w/out mentioning it! :D

Suzette
August 31st, 2013, 08:51 AM
I am one of those people who needs time to myself on a regular basis. So, if it were me, I'd defiitely take the weekend and enjoy some quiet, peaceful alone time, totally guilt free! That's my two cents. And . . . you truly deserve it!! :icon_happy:

Terri
August 31st, 2013, 09:24 AM
Just seeing this this morning....but I would stay home. One you deserve the time to yourself.....sounds like you stay VERY busy with grandchildren, dogs, hubby and work outside the home!!! Come on, give yourself some "me" time. :D It took me so may years to learn to say "no" to people....I was so afraid to hurt their feelings or that they wouldn't like me.

And I know if I were in your situation, if I could contact DH his words would be "It's up to you, do whatever YOU want to do." And he would mean it....he would not be trying to guilt me into coming and he would NOT like the idea of me driving by myself, especially on a holiday weekend.

So I do hope you are staying at home and getting better acquainted with Matilda! :)

Have a wonderful day & a great weekend!!!

Terri
August 31st, 2013, 09:25 AM
I'd have to have grape jelly on mine!!! Just keep it away from the fabric/quilt etc!!

I'd live on peanut butter sandwiches and sew, sew, sew!

nyscpa2be
August 31st, 2013, 10:45 AM
I would go, but thats because I hate being alone. Really hate it. And it involves an ocean. I haven't seen an ocean since I saw the river in NYC, and I'm not sure that counts.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your weekend of freedom - its all your choice as to what to do!

bubba
August 31st, 2013, 11:12 AM
Actually, not the ocean, just a small private lake. It is just an hour drive, so it's not too far, just far enough to get away. Were there not all the grandchildren there, I'd probably do it, but it's hard when they all want your attention when you are trying to relax!

Yesterday, after running my errands, I went to the quilt shop and picked up the kit from the class I didn't make it to this past Monday. Then, I went home and TOOK AN UNINTERRUPTED NAP!!!!! Woke up at 7pm, had dinner (after checking the forum), then went upstairs and sewed my BOM. I have to say, those turn out nice, but it takes a long time for me to cut them out using the blasted templates! Sewing it together was a breeze....I think that took only 30 minutes!

After that, I went back downstairs, checked the DD and was in bed shortly after 10pm! I normally stay up till 11pm, and I think if I had, I would not have woken up at 0415 this morning :o It's going to make for a loooong day!

bubba
September 1st, 2013, 04:34 PM
Just spoke to my husband......I told him I had good news and bad news. Uh oh he says......I said the good news is I got tomorrow off! (I felt bad because he sounded happy about that.) Then I said the bad news is between my foot pain and back pain, I'm not driving out, sorry.

He was actually okay with that, mainly because you have to drive up a 1.5 mile rock and gravel road to get there and on a painfree day it's still bad. He wished me well and told me to have a good time w/Matilda. I told her the light I had ordered came in yesterday and I planned to be quilting when I get home! That light makes a world of difference!

HdWench
September 1st, 2013, 04:41 PM
YES!!!!! There is not enough *me* quiet time when you live/work 24x7 with someone and add grandkids to the Relaxing time at the lake -- ohh and roads to shoot you with pain... I'm thrilled to hear you chose to stay home and enjoy some days of time for you!