PDA

View Full Version : Do you exercise?

Gayle8675309
August 30th, 2013, 02:31 PM
So how many of you exercise for your health? What do you do?

I'm turning 50 in January and have decided that my 50's need to be healthier than my 40's have been. (I've had cancer and severe depression during my 40's...don't want a repeat of those issues!)

So I signed up at a pool/community center about 25 miles away from me and actually met with a personal trainer!!! She is setting up a beginner exercise program for me and will show me around the facility on Tuesday. I can't believe I'm actually doing this. I am going to start going to their water aerobics classes on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. It's about a 40 minute drive for me to get there (small towns on the way, have to go slowly), but I think if I get in the groove I'll do it. I need to lose about 75 pounds too...so hopefully the exercise will help with that too.

So what do you do for exercise? And no, quilting doesn't count!!! LOL.

SallyO'Sews
August 30th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Truthfully? Nothing. But I need to! It would be really helpful if you would keep us updated on your progress, Gayle; maybe you will inspire this couch potato to get up and move!:icon_happy:

GuitarGramma
August 30th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Hi Gayle,

I have struggled with my weight all my life. Beginning in my twenties, I started doing Jazzercise. I really didn't stop doing some form of aerobics until recently (we started traveling more which disrupted my old routines). If I didn't exercise, I gained weight; when I did exercise, I'd stay a steady weight.

Recently, I read a book that suggested I may be mildly allergic to a lot of common foods. I quit those cold turkey, and voila! I am losing weight even without exercising. I intend to begin exercising again, because I know it's good for me. Your post may actually be in the inspiration I need to start again. Thank you.

laf512
August 30th, 2013, 02:41 PM
I do not work out now, but I really need to get back in the habit. I used to walk/run when I did work out. We are thinking about getting a YMCA membership though. If we do that, I'll probably try out some of their fitness classes.

grannyann
August 30th, 2013, 02:58 PM
I am 70 years old and I walk every day. Usually I get 2 miles of walking in first thing in the morning. Then I try to get another mile
in after lunch and maybe one mile in after supper. There are some days where I just get 3 miles in. I walk in in the rain as long as it not storming and I walk when it is snowing and cold.I enjoy walking and it is free and good for you. Hope I can continue for many more years.

Kgrammiecaz
August 30th, 2013, 03:10 PM
I am sad to say I do very little. I do have some health issues that make it difficult but that is certainly a terrible excuse :). But I am happy to say that quilting helps me some. I get up and down a lot - from my design board to my iron to my sewing machine. I made sure nothing was close enough to be able to slide around in my chair. So, can I count that as my exercise? I did recently buy some Zumba CD's and my granddaughter and I tried them. It is really fun. So I am going to try to get that going a few days a week. For those exercising - good! keep it up because it really is the healthy way to live.

bubba
August 30th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Up until last October, I walked everyday, at least two - three miles (including up and down a LARGE hill 2x a day) plus rode my bike five miles after work at least five days a week. Since my foot problem started, I can hardly walk at all, and am not supposed to walk over 150 steps at a time, but can carely do 100!

I wish you luck and good health on your new endeavor....I'm sure you'll do fine!

Madeforyouinma11
August 30th, 2013, 03:18 PM
I never had a weight issue when I was married to my first husband, but since I have been with my present husband I've gained weight. We came to the conclusion that stress was keeping the weight off before, and now that I'm happy and actually eating more than a half a sandwich a day with gallons of coffee, I am putting on some weight. I like to walk, wether its with someone or just me and the dog. Winter is coming so I'm hoping to get back into my routine of daily exercise. I have Wii and do the aerobics on that and it makes a big difference.
It sounds like you are off to a good start with the water aerobics. Maybe do a little walking on the off days that you're not doing the aerobics, and just really pay attention to what you eat, when you eat and how much you're eating and you should start to notice a difference. I have found that to be a big difference for me. You will start to feel much better when you get into your routine and you will actually look forward to the exercise.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress...give us inspiration..here's to the healthy 50's..( I'm going to be 52 in December)

lilmouse
August 30th, 2013, 03:37 PM
I walk with the dog plus I am a waitress and there are days I swear I walk 100 miles...I am sure I don't but sometimes it feels like it...love to walk!

mamaquilt
August 30th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Gayle starting sports is always a very difficult moment, loosing weight is even more difficult. But everything starts in your head.

I'm over 60 years, always moved a lot and worked in the garden. But with the age also came some pounds. I quit smoking; that added another 10 kilos. Now DH and I work out, twice a week and we stick too it. That means at least half an hour biking (indoors) for me . DH is doing cross trainer for half an hour. After that work out for another 30 minutes on fitness machines. A little rest, than 45 minutes aquagym and another half hour swimming. Then relax in the sauna and another swim before we return home. We do that come winter or summer; note the swimming pool is outside and during winter when it's snowing we have to swim or do the exercices, because then the water is really really cold. We started this after we both were sick, very sick with cancer and other issues. Since we do some sports we just feel great. No cancer cells so far and those 2 days in the week we feel like we're on holiday.
BUT to loose some weight you also have to watch what you eat. Those 2 sport days, we drink a lot of water and eat fruit apart from some cereals (no kellogs or whatever) but real cereals with some fruit in the morning. We keep our weight and feel just fit:
Hope some of these infos will help you and I keep my fingers crossed that you stick to your program. Wish you the very best for your future

Mom23
August 30th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Gayle,

We are the same age, I will be 50 on September 11. I just joined a local gym about a month ago. There are no machines in this gym and it's for women only. They have various classes throughout the day. I take a turbo kick class on Monday. Wednesday and Friday I go to Drums Alive. We use exercise balls placed in a big bucket and beat the heck out of them with drumsticks. It is a great workout.

The girl working asked me the other day what two of my goals were. I had to think fast so I told her the first two things that came to my mind. I want my arms to stop flapping and I want to wear bikini underwear without them rolling under my belly. I should have come up with something a little better but I had to think fast.

Like you, I started thinking of my health and the fact that everybody says the older we get the harder it is to lose. I have got to get better motivated. I say that as I sit here eating mini marshmallows!!! Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress. We can do this together.

Robin

Lisapc
August 30th, 2013, 04:24 PM
I was that girl/woman who was at the gym 3 days a week and moved every day walking/hiking whatever I could do to be outside. My body, oh my body was great. Then when I got pregnant with my son who is now 8 I got sick. I have not been able to exercise since.

After this last Lupus flare I am really listening to my body and except for the fatigue that hits when I least expect or need it I feel pretty good. I was planning on starting slowly with exercise next week. I am going to be 42 then latter part of September and I want my body back and for me that means exercise. I miss the feeling during it, the slight soreness the next day and the control healthy strong muscles gives you.

Wishing you luck. After about a month you are going to start to crave your exercise and I think it is just wonderful that you are doing this. Good luck!

Iris Girl
August 30th, 2013, 04:40 PM
We used to be big time hikers and a 10 mile hike through the woods and up and down mountains was nothing. We rode bicycles and walked alot. But now I have heel spurs and can barely do a 5 hour shift on my feet let alone trying to hike or walk. I miss it. We still bike occassionally but I am so out of shape I can't keep up. We have all kinds of weights here and machines ads hubby is a fitness freak. But it does not help to motivate me, I would rather be sewing or playing video games. Before I married and had kids I was a trim 125 pounds at 5 foot 7 I was slender. after kids and 30 years I need to lose 60 to 70 pounds, I would love water arobics but there is nothing in our little towns to go to and traveling any distance puts me off.

Suzette
August 30th, 2013, 05:02 PM
I walk my dog twice a day which adds up to about three miles total and I do a mile on the eliptical. My job is also very physical, so I get lot's of exercise every day. :icon_happy:

Gayle8675309
August 30th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I loved reading your stories.

Genny
August 30th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Do I exercise...no...do I need too...yes...I just hate it too much:0

Hulamoon
August 30th, 2013, 06:36 PM
I hate gyms. They are dirty, stinky, naked women putting makeup on. Uck. I have had an elliptical , and a tread machine. Now I have two pairs of walking shoes. In two colors:) I have such a nice area to go walking I don't need to get into the car. Just need a puppy now:)

Divine Daisy
August 30th, 2013, 06:44 PM
I exercise............. I quilt!

I have my cutting table away from the machine and the iron away from that. I stand, cut and walk, sit and sew, walk and press, walk, sit and sew. I put one of those step counter things on one day and was amazed at how far I walked. For me actually quilting is arobic exercise...... It makes me sweat in a very unladylike way lol.

I do walk every day but not as much as I should.

Annabelle013
August 30th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Good for you on exercising. I think it helps your mind, body and spirit.

I try to exercise but not as steadily as a should. I have a treadmill which I love way more than going to a gym. DH and I go for bike rides especially on the weekend. Better to ride our bikes to the frozen yogurt than drive. We also will park way out so we have to walk more.

Best of luck!!!!

easyquilts
August 30th, 2013, 07:18 PM
I walk when I can, and love to swim in the heated Sr. Pool at the Y.... I will be seventy on September 11th.

Sharyn J
August 30th, 2013, 07:22 PM
I used to walk and bike ride. Now that is problematic for me so my greatest exercise is walking to the refrigerator or tapping my foot to good music! I hope that counts!

quiltingtrish
August 30th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Well, how is that for karma Gayle! I am starting on Sunday - the first of September. I used to walk everyday, except the weekends, at the park everyday after work. That was a year ago. I did 2 miles - one mile out and one mile back. I thought that 10 miles a week was good but really didn't take any poundage off. I would like to lose 30 pounds - just not comfortable with this extra hanging around. I am going to start walking again and only have 1 mug of coffee in the morning, then switch to water the rest of the day. Also - try to eat the healthy stuff more - like more fresh vegetables and fruits. I know I will have the occasional bad stuff but I am really going to try and watch what goes in my mouth. We'll see how the first month goes. I haven't decided if I am going to drive to the state park which is about 3 miles away (it's not safe to walk to the walking area) or if I will save the gas and just walk in town (which would probably be better since there are some hills involved). Ok-Ok - I'll do the town thing.

Good luck Gayle. You are doing the right thing by signing up for a program. Please let us know how you are doing and I will do the same.

Hugs,

pcbatiks
August 30th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Gayle..... Congrats on starting your exercise program. I have heard that water aerobics is very good for you...... Gives a great workout without the strain on your joints. I try to make myself go walking regularly .......sometimes I go good & sometimes not! I bought me a Fitbit a the beginning of the year that you wear. It keeps track of your daily steps, miles, stairs & calories burned. It also syncs up with your computer & you can get weekly progress reports. It might not be a miracle motivator but it is nice to see how many miles you walked at the end of the day. The fitbit is very small so you can wear it all day. I really need to go to the rec center & workout on the weight machines for more strength. I think you helped motivate a bunch of us! Thanks!

Doloris
August 30th, 2013, 08:15 PM
I went to the Dr in Jan for a checkup and bloodwork. She called a couple days later and said my sugar levels were up and I was in the pre-diabetic range. She had me start taking Metformin once a day. I also take 40 mg of Zocor for cholesterol. Then one day I turned on Dr Oz and his program was about sugar and weight. He said that statins (cholesterol meds) block sugar from converting to energy and then they get stored as fat. Then I saw a news article about a class action suit against Lipitor, (another statin) about statins causing diabetes. It kinda all added up and since Feb I have lost 31 pounds. I do watch what I eat, but I was never a big sweets eater. Drink lots of water and not too much snacking. Not much exercise because I have bad discs in my back and my leg will go numb if I walk too much or too long. That is sciatica pain.
good luck with whatever works for you.

Nidan_07
August 30th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Hi Gayle,
Good luck with your new exercise Regime. Be sure to listen carefully to whatever signals your body sends you in order to avoid injury. You will know if you are overdoing things. My older sister has been a fitness instructor for over 25 years now, and one of her favourites is aqua aerobics. No strain on joints and and really good workout. I am currently battling injury so the last 2 months have been somewhat of a struggle for me with exercise. Usually I would be in the gym weekdays straight from work before I pick the kids up from school. If I was to go home first, I wouldn't get back out again - I'd find something else to be doing. I was not super fit by any means, but I really enjoy getting on the bike, with my ipod and doing something active. I find that it makes me feel much better after I have done it. I struggle big time with my nutrition at the moment, and I find that usually puts me on a downward spiral. I am determined not to stay on said spiral though......
Once again...Best of Luck to you!!

Bubby
August 30th, 2013, 09:58 PM
I don't really exercise but I get plenty of exercise living and working in the country. I also take water aerobic classes in the summer.

K. McEuen
August 30th, 2013, 09:59 PM
As a moderator I have to tell you to watch your language! Exercise is a dirty word!

Seriously, I walk when I can as long as my knee behaves. I do have my ironing/cutting area on one end of the house and the sewing area on the other, so I do have to get up and move quite often, so if I'm not able to get out and walk I at least get the movement inside quite a bit. I'd love to do water exercise since it is low impact and the knee would love that, but there are a lot of creepy people at the pools I've gone to in town.

Blondie
August 30th, 2013, 10:01 PM

Okay, had to get that one out of my system. I walk. And I do like to do some strength training, like lifting cast iron skillets and No. 2 cans of veggies. I am not joking. And I garden. Any gardener will tell you that is a work out.
But mainly, my exercise consists of walking. I don't do cardio like I used to. If you have bad weather, like we do in the winter, get a walking/stepper DVD. You'll be tuckered out before the warm up. But it is great once you've been doing it for a week or two. Gives you lots of energy. Now, that is my secret to how I get my energy.

So how many of you exercise for your health? What do you do?

I'm turning 50 in January and have decided that my 50's need to be healthier than my 40's have been. (I've had cancer and severe depression during my 40's...don't want a repeat of those issues!)

So I signed up at a pool/community center about 25 miles away from me and actually met with a personal trainer!!! She is setting up a beginner exercise program for me and will show me around the facility on Tuesday. I can't believe I'm actually doing this. I am going to start going to their water aerobics classes on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. It's about a 40 minute drive for me to get there (small towns on the way, have to go slowly), but I think if I get in the groove I'll do it. I need to lose about 75 pounds too...so hopefully the exercise will help with that too.

So what do you do for exercise? And no, quilting doesn't count!!! LOL.

Jernmegmom
August 30th, 2013, 10:32 PM
It's wonderful to hear you are taking action and getting healthier!! It's so easy to get into a rut of inactivity (I was there!!)
Now I am proud to say I have a whole week of action!
Pilates on Monday
Run on Tuesday
Yoga on Wednesday
Run on Thursday
Yoga on Friday
Run on Saturday
Rest on Sunday

I had a period of about 10 years where I just let myself fall apart. I was diagnosed and put on the proper medications and started feeling better, but I was still getting winded when I walked up the stairs. . .I decided I was going to do something about it so I started running. At first, I could only do about 90 seconds at a time before I would poop out and have to walk for 2-3 minutes, it took time (and I am by no means a runner) but I can get 2 miles in without too much struggling. I'm lucky to have A. the opportunity to be at home so I have the time to do it, and B. to have friends who I can count on to support me and keep me accountable. I haven't lost any weight, but I can run up the stairs and not blink an eye, now ;)

Best Wishes on your new journey!!

shannonsaulter
August 30th, 2013, 11:57 PM
I am a walker and stair climber mostly esp at work..I get paid to do my workout...lol...2 flights of stairs every 15-20 mins for 8 hours..I should buy a pedometer and see how much I walk at work...

Claire Hallman
August 31st, 2013, 12:18 AM
I used to go to Curves but that closed in our area so in March I joined a gym I go to zumba Mon, Wed and Fri. On Tue and Thur I do something called Fit and Feisty plus the weight machines. I am 66 almost 67 and have lost 15 pounds since March. I plan to start [back] walking tomorrow since it has cooled off a bit and I don't have to worry about keeling over from the heat.
Good for you for taking charge and doing this for yourself.

phoots
August 31st, 2013, 12:54 AM
Honestly, I do not exercise. Also I don't drink water because I don't like the taste (yes, there is a taste). I drink Pepsi most of the time. I lost my job when I was 50 and really haven't had another job since, although I would like to join a gym. People has said, since your not working, why don't you walk? Are you kidding? In Las Vegas where the summers start in April/May and last until October and temps get into the 110's! I'm in school now and I graduate in January. Spring will be my big start to my new life! I've get a job, buy a car, join a gym, lots of stuff!!

Pam in Vegas

Mchelem
August 31st, 2013, 02:23 AM
Well to start with, I walk a lot - around the Joann's store, gathering fabric.
And then I lift weights. Those bolts of fabric can get heavy! I lift them onto the cart, then again onto the cut table.
Once the fabric is cut, I distribute it evenly into 2 bags and carry those, one in each hand, though the 102 degree heat, which really causes me to work up a sweat, and then I lift those 2 bags into my truck.
When I get to my studio, I have to carry those 2 bags in, and lift them onto the table, where I then unpack the bags and pace around the room, wondering how in the heck I can hide the new fabric in with the old so my DH doesn't know I bought more fabric.
This turns into an entire aerobic workout because I have to fold the new fabric onto comic boards, pull old fabric off the shelves, rearrange the fabric, hide the new in with the old and then put it all back on the shelves.
Then I get to sit down and sew, but only after I get up to go pee, get a cup of tea, sit down, get up again to turn the music on the computer, sit down again, get up again to answer my phone, that's in my purse by the door, where I dropped it coming in, because my hands were full with the 2 bags of fabric, sit down again and actually sew.

Yep. I get a workout at least twice a week, sometimes more lol.

Mchelem
August 31st, 2013, 02:35 AM
In all honesty, no. But we do eat healthy.

If you are watching what you eat, pay attention first to portions (most boxes have portion sizes and its a LOT less than you'd think) and second the sodium content of everything that goes in your mouth! There's apps that can track calories, fat etc. when I first started losing weight, I was under my calories all the time, I was exercising and the weight was barely coming off. Finally a trainer looked at my logs and said yes, I was eating better, exercising etc, but my sodium consumption was 3x that of the daily allowance and sodium causes you to retain water. Water=weight. I cut back my salt/sodium and lost 18 pounds in 5 weeks, safely!! I was able to fit into my wedding dress, I feel like I have more energy, my clothes fit better and I look better. I am still counting calories, steps and watching my sodium.

My biggest thing was fast food, and soda. I cut those 2 things out and noticed an improvement the first week. Fast food makes me fell full, bloated, sluggish and just all around crappy now. It's like I can feel the grease coming out my pores if I eat it, so I don't. We eat fresh vegetables and fruit, and healthy portions! (By the way, corn and potatoes are NO longer vegetables once you cook them, they become starches).

stationarymom
August 31st, 2013, 03:33 AM
hi
good luck on your new journey.i know how bad it can be when you are depressed.
take care
joan

Sew Perfect
August 31st, 2013, 03:47 AM
I have the Total Gym and love it. I used to walk, but when I started having problems with my feet I bought the total gym. I like it because it's low impact. We have a Curves just down the street, but I see the membership cost as fabric money.

bakermom
August 31st, 2013, 04:04 AM
Work out ? No, but i do walk my dog 1 1/2 to2 miles nearly every day. I do some specific exercises from PT for back and knee issues several times a week but it's not really a workout for fitness

Quilted Fantasies
August 31st, 2013, 08:03 AM
Gayle, I go through periods where I exercise faithfully and others where I can't make myself do it for months. I use WiiFit now and really like it. I don't have to leave the house and it's relatively easy, but you get results if you're consistent. I was doing an average of 5 times a week for 40 minutes. The hardest part, for me, is turning it on. Once I get past that hurdle I'm fine.

This summer a couple in our condo community offered free water aerobics three times a week. I've been attending every chance I get and I.love.it. I can tell I'm getting stronger and it's fun to exercise with others...although I think you'll find that water aerobics feels more like playing than working out! If you're like me then the hardest part will be getting in the car; once you get past that you'll really enjoy it!

I encourage you to find something closer to you that you can do on those days you can't get to water aerobics. See if you can find a friend to walk with at least once a week. Having an exercise buddy will help keep you motivated.

Good luck and good health!

MRoy
August 31st, 2013, 08:28 AM
I'm a walker....outdoors in good weather and indoors with DVDs in bad weather. Good luck with your new program Gayle!

Terri
August 31st, 2013, 09:50 AM
I have ALWAYS had weight problems, starting with puberty. Got to the point that I had gastric bypass May 25, 2004....went from 250 down to 128 (too thin)...but then I went back to old eating habits and gained most of my weight back. Weight loss surgery isn't a quick fix or a permanent fix, its a "tool" and if you don't use it right....it won't work. Long story short....I had my first colonoscopy back in January....diagnosis severe diverticulosis in the descending and transverse colon, THAT made up my mind. My mother had diverticulitis....got so bad she got infection in her blood stream & eventually had half her colon removed. (No colostomy bag, thankfully!) I did not go down that road. So with the help & guidance of my pharmacist (she does my bioidentical hormones) I went through a blood nutiriton program. I have lost between 45 & 50 lbs, depending on whose scale you are going by. I knew that I HAD to exercise, because at the age of 51....the weight doesn't just continue to come off without some kind of physical activity. And I will readily admit that I am the QUEEN OF LAZY!!! :icon_rofl: Seriously, about 6 or 7 wks ago I invested in a good bicycle (not one from WalMart) and a helmet. Was slow and got tired & winded very quickly when I first started. Now I am doing 5 miles at least 3 times a week....want to do more, but work at it slowly. I feel better when I ride....it's rather freeing. And I had not been on a bike since I was 15 yrs old, so I was petrified to begin with!!! Took me a while to get used to it but I love it now. We have a place in our area called The Greenway....it's miles of paths run through trees, between neighborhoods, down next to the river. It's wide enough for "two lanes", actually a line down the middle just like a highway. It's for bikers, walkers, runners, folks who like to walk their dogs etc. I LOVE it!!! People look at me like I'm crazy when I say I drive 15 min to go ride my bike....but hey, people drive that long or longer to get to a gym! In the past I have walked (by myself and with a buddy) got tired of that and the old knees (that weren't as old at the time) started bothering me. We have a treadmill at home that neither one of us uses. I have done the gym membership thing, I enjoyed it for a while....then had to have hernia surgery and never got back into it.....but I really believe I will stick with the biking! Best of luck to you!!!

shermur
August 31st, 2013, 09:56 AM
I gained a lot of weight this past year due to menopause; but since June, I have been walking my sweet Staffordshire Terrier (high energy) and it is helping some. I really need to watch my diet and get back into better shape!

Loves2quilt
August 31st, 2013, 10:17 AM
I started walking daily 8+ years ago. I started at a mile and increased as it got easier. I joined Weight Watchers because my body was toning up but I wasn't dropping lbs. Then within a year I lost 40 lbs and have kept it off. I still attend WW meetings every Sat am and for exercise I've done Jazzercise, walking, home DVD's and this year I started running. My health was my motivation, that and my dads quintuple bypass 9 years ago.
You can do anything you put your mind to. Whatever exercise you choose be sure you like it and that will help you stick with it. 😃

Lissau
August 31st, 2013, 10:45 AM
l've been doing a lifestyle change for 11 months called wheat belly and l've lost 32 kilos or 70.4 lbs ............and no exercise what so ever l'm not allowed to do any due to medical issues..........l've gone from a size 26 in clothes down to a size 18

nyscpa2be
August 31st, 2013, 10:59 AM
l've been doing a lifestyle change for 11 months called wheat belly and l've lost 32 kilos or 70.4 lbs ............and no exercise what so ever l'm not allowed to do any due to medical issues..........l've gone from a size 26 in clothes down to a size 18

What is wheat belly? And congrats on your weight loss!

Lissau
August 31st, 2013, 11:08 AM
Hi Amy it was developed by American cardiologist Dr William Davis ....he discovered that all wheat and grains today have been altered ..which has caused a protein to develop called "gliadin" ......which is causing all sorts of health issues for us the human being...When our grandparents and great grands were alive wheat and other grains grew over 6 feet tall but they gave a poor yield or harvest ..so now they've been altered and grow 3 feet high but give a higher yield- harvest of grain......

Because of medical problems l haven't eaten , wheat , rice ,soy so on and so on since October 1st 2012..when my Doctor suggested to me to do it and read the book l thought the world had come to an end and of course l thought there is no way l can do this ..l cant give up bread, pies , pasta ,pastries, potatoes and so on ,,,,what am l going to eat......l went through a with drawl stage similar to cold turkey ....l was really tired had problems but now that l've come out the other side ...l rarely feel hungry anymore no hunger pains ...within myself l feel wonderful.... l'm never without something eat ...if you go to your local supermarket and look at the pre packaged processed food and write down some of the numbers and names of ingredients and come home and type them into google ..you would be shocked at how much of the food we eat has wheat and grains or wheat by products in it.....Thanks for the wishes :) .... Here is a link to the website.

Wheat Belly

www.wheatbellyblog.com/

alliek
August 31st, 2013, 02:33 PM
Gayle you are an inspiration to me. I need to get going, Ann and Michele - You make me ashamed I haven't been more pro active in taking care of myself. Thanks I needed to hear you and kick myself in the rear to make a commitment and get going! Gayle let us know how the journey goes, I 'll let you know also. God Bless

MartinaG
August 31st, 2013, 03:46 PM
I jump to conclusions, fall into other people's conversations, and flap my jaw. Does that count? lol

Yes, I fit the middle-aged menopausal quilting potato (as opposed to couch potato) stereotype and I am right now looking at the elliptical trainer that is waiting for me to get my act together.

Gayle8675309
August 31st, 2013, 04:21 PM
Sounds like most of us need some motivation. Tomorrow is September 1st...a good day to start getting healthier for all of us!

GrammaBabs
August 31st, 2013, 05:01 PM
Hey Gayle.. WA is a great form of keeping in shape.... me,, I've watched my "shape" change from age 48, when I could eat anything and did, but drank gallons of coffee and smoked... I was healthy then..LOL Now, i'm 66 and chubby,,,but I have RA and joint issues... I can dance a bit, but the WATER is my friend.... I can do anything in the water,, just not out of it..LOL I was a dancer and it kills me, but life is that "box of chocolates".... If you can keep up the classes, you will be very glad you did, it will give you a lot of energy for other things as well,,, oh, and excercise will most likely keep the depression at bay as well.... good luck GF...do the best you can and don't give up!!!

HdWench
August 31st, 2013, 07:21 PM
Gayle, I am so proud of you! Depression makes you want to sit (or lay) and do nothing!!! But exercise helps put some endrphines (spelling?) back into the system so you will feel uplifted too!

In my 30s I went on a hypo-glacimic diet (really eat anything you want every 3 hours), and walk! I lost over 50 pounds and quit having the shakes. In my 40's I walked and walked and got better control of what I ate every 3 hours -- This helps even meno-pausal women - It gives your metoblism a BIG kick start and you will lose weight. I got down to near 100 lbs. NOT a good look for a 5' 6" woman! Nothing I did would put weight back on so a doc in Texas gave me Vit/Steriod/Whatever mixed shots to help me gain about 10 lbs a year!

Finally at a more normal weight, in March my doc at home put me on Zocor - I will warn EVERYONE - I could NOT walk and felt like 100 year old woman! Took myself off and called Zocor to alert them (this IS one of the side effects for "few" people) B.S.

My doc insisted that because my cholestral was so very high (nearly 400) it was not due to the anti-depressants this is also BS as Paxil made me gain 50 lbs in 2 months! Switched to something else and the weight flew off. Just saying your meds may also have an effect on weight.

Now my neck issues have flared up where I am not suppose to even be walking *sigh* So I'm watching my rear get bigger and waiting for a try at an epidural shot this winter. I MISS exercising!!!

Best thing you are doing for YOU Gayle!! I'd suggest trying to eat every 3 hours also. Just remember to eat just enough to get to the next small 3 hour meal. I quit drinking and try to avoid sugars. That alone helped me drop another 10 lbs :-) I am so proud of you being proactive, setting a date Sept 1st and making your 50's turn into a lifetime of good habits!!

I look forward to hearing about your journey, know you can do this and someone mentioned - Making yourself get in the car is the 1st step to making this a habit! They say anything you do for 3 months will become a good habit (or bad), so hope you stick with it!!!

Mchelem
September 1st, 2013, 03:34 AM
Gayle, I am so proud of you! Depression makes you want to sit (or lay) and do nothing!!! But exercise helps put some endrphines (spelling?) back into the system so you will feel uplifted too!

In my 30s I went on a hypo-glacimic diet (really eat anything you want every 3 hours), and walk! I lost over 50 pounds and quit having the shakes. In my 40's I walked and walked and got better control of what I ate every 3 hours -- This helps even meno-pausal women - It gives your metoblism a BIG kick start and you will lose weight. I got down to near 100 lbs. NOT a good look for a 5' 6" woman! Nothing I did would put weight back on so a doc in Texas gave me Vit/Steriod/Whatever mixed shots to help me gain about 10 lbs a year!

Finally at a more normal weight, in March my doc at home put me on Zocor - I will warn EVERYONE - I could NOT walk and felt like 100 year old woman! Took myself off and called Zocor to alert them (this IS one of the side effects for "few" people) B.S.

My doc insisted that because my cholestral was so very high (nearly 400) it was not due to the anti-depressants this is also BS as Paxil made me gain 50 lbs in 2 months! Switched to something else and the weight flew off. Just saying your meds may also have an effect on weight.

Now my neck issues have flared up where I am not suppose to even be walking *sigh* So I'm watching my rear get bigger and waiting for a try at an epidural shot this winter. I MISS exercising!!!

Best thing you are doing for YOU Gayle!! I'd suggest trying to eat every 3 hours also. Just remember to eat just enough to get to the next small 3 hour meal. I quit drinking and try to avoid sugars. That alone helped me drop another 10 lbs :-) I am so proud of you being proactive, setting a date Sept 1st and making your 50's turn into a lifetime of good habits!!

I look forward to hearing about your journey, know you can do this and someone mentioned - Making yourself get in the car is the 1st step to making this a habit! They say anything you do for 3 months will become a good habit (or bad), so hope you stick with it!!!

I've been taking Wellbutrin for a month and its supposed to help curb the appetite. Of course if I could get my dr to get her head out of her butt and do my surgery, I could lose a few more pounds. (My uterus is the size of a 20week pregnant uterus and needs to go!!)

Momofmonsters5
September 1st, 2013, 04:52 AM
I do Zumba but here it's a little pricey so the gym it is. Gyms are free on military bases to I'd card holders and I love the elliptical machine. I haven't been in a month because of transportation but I start working this month so I'm putting it in my work schedule. I gain 10 pounds from drinking German beer in the last year so I've got some work to do!

lourixe
September 1st, 2013, 08:26 AM
I'm a walker, as my dad was. He had heart issues but still loved to walk some 10 miles twice a week, and as I didn't trust him going alone in the mountain out of mobile phone range I walked with him. As he died 6 years ago I put on 30 pounds in less than 6 months. I feared I was having a disease -maybe tyroid or diabetes- but I had the lowest cholesterol and sugar levels my doc had ever seen, even low blood pressure despise the overewight: it was just a matter of lack of exercice.
So I'm walking again, on my own or with the dogs. They don't really need to be walked out as we live in the country and they run freely all day long, but they do love 2-3 h expeditions out of their usual neighbourhood.
If it rains, I put rubber boots and clothes... and carry a basket to collect mushrooms on the way back.

Gayle8675309
September 1st, 2013, 12:50 PM
It sounds like a lot of you are walkers. I wish I enjoyed walking more, but it hurts me to walk. My hips get so sore. That's why I like the water aerobics, low impact.

Renate
September 1st, 2013, 05:30 PM
I love golf, nearly as much as quilting. A round of golf means: 4 hours sports outside infresh air, walking hill up and down in a good speed at beautirul places. It is a common time for my dear maekus and me. We go very early inthe morning having fun. Golf is an easential part of my life.

HdWench
September 1st, 2013, 05:41 PM
Wellbutrin you can google to see if ANY of the side effects carry weight gain? OMG please see another doc and get that surgery!! Best thing I ever did was to lose that part of my body LOL I know on Wellbutrin it helped curb smoking all the same ingredients of the quit smoking pills but insurance pays for the anti-depressant but back then, would not for the stop smoking pills. Good luck and I hope you get your surgery SOON! how awful for her to try to use drugs instead of Fixing it!