PDA

View Full Version : Friday!

Blondie
August 30th, 2013, 06:38 AM

Hello Folksies! Happy Friday! Get ready for the weekend!

Friday. hmmm. What does that word evoke for you? When I was younger I would look forward to sleeping in on Saturdays. I never got to sleep in long because my Daddy was the early riser. He would wake we children up to get the chores done. Then as I was becoming an adult, leaving home, going to college and working a few jobs I never slept in very often at all. As a mother of young children, well, you know that drill. I found I got my best housecleaning chores done at 2-4 a.m.

Fridays. For the general population, it heralds a few days off. We quilters look forward to time off of necessary things so we can focus on fun things, like quilting. You know what I mean. Reading about quilting, drooling over photos of quilts and quilted projects, fabrics, threads, notions . . . I mean quilting in general is such an all encompassing part of my life that I may even consider it my alternate life personality. After all, in MY time spent on pinterest, online fabric stores, blogs, I make the bestest of everything. I am the super woman of quilting. In truth, I know as soon as I see intricate patterns that while I love the detail look, I may possibly make one block but never a full quilt of fussy little details.

I don't know where I am going with this, I must need more coffee. Oh, I remember. When I was awakened this morning, I was not very happy with Thomas Edison.

SMILE! Enjoy your weekend. I will, I promise!

MRoy
August 30th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Good morning Blondie. I'm up early getting ready to go back into work mode for the day. Gotta go back to the state capital today and next Friday to deal with the "personnel issue from h*ll" that wasn't resolved before I retired. I'm guzzling coffee hoping the caffeine kicks in soon cause I didn't sleep well last night. Have a good day everyone!

Blondie
August 30th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Good morning Blondie. I'm up early getting ready to go back into work mode for the day. Gotta go back to the state capital today and next Friday to deal with the "personnel issue from h*ll" that wasn't resolved before I retired. I'm guzzling coffee hoping the caffeine kicks in soon cause I didn't sleep well last night. Have a good day everyone!

Good luck Myrna. Anything the gov't is involved in seems to turn into a tragic comedy. Here's a fresh cuppa of my bull coffee. That will open your eyes!

Monique
August 30th, 2013, 07:04 AM
I thought I was the only one up at this hour and have been awake since 4 something. I had a wonderful time yesterday and won ribbons for all my hard work. Take a look if you like in the Show and Tell thread and thanks for looking. This morning I go back to the fair and meet up with school kids. This is their morning to see that the fair is just not about rides. I am with the french kids, well, because you know. After I am done there I will have coffee with a friend. Hubby is going golfing. Trooper plays tonight at the fair and I really want to go. We will see. Greg is probably not coming until tomorrow and Phil, Jodi and Maizyn will probably not be here until 8 or 9, so I may just Poppa to sit with the gang when they come.

Iris Girl
August 30th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Morning All, Myrna good luck with anything gov't involved. Looks like a cloudy day here maybe some sun later. My friend did not make it yesterday to get her quilting supplies, so we will try today. Nothing new going on here. work tomoorrow and sunday off we shall se what the day brings. Hugs to all who need and want them.

Terri
August 30th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Good Morning Blondie!

Love your morning post! I was able to sleep late most Saturday mornings...but if it got to 9 am, Mom would wake us up. Now that all of the kids are out of the house & I can sleep as late as I want on Saturday mornings....I am doing good to sleep until 6am!!! Go figure!

You forgot to wish everyone a Happy Labor Day weekend!!! :) Day off on Monday....yippee!

LOVE your quote about being "normal" made me LOL.....is there such a thing as normal??? If there is...I am not! :D

Have a great day & weekend!

Terri

Iris Girl
August 30th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Labor day is never a day off for retail, just means more work and more customers all scrabbling for the one item on sale. work as usual. Lately its been the rainbow loom , Us and the learning center are the only ones that carry the official rainbow loom and EVERYONE wants one.

Terri
August 30th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Sorry I wasn't thinking....I should have known that, because my fav LQS is having a major sale on Monday! Opening at 8 am--save 35% on fabric, notions etc, at 9 am it drops to 30%, 10 am 25% & 11am 20% AND they are going to have some of their floor models 40% off!!! Guess where I will be at 8 am on Monday morning??? :icon_woohoo:

Labor day is never a day off for retail, just means more work and more customers all scrabbling for the one item on sale. work as usual. Lately its been the rainbow loom , Us and the learning center are the only ones that carry the official rainbow loom and EVERYONE wants one.

Iris Girl
August 30th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Sorry I wasn't thinking....I should have known that, because my fav LQS is having a major sale on Monday! Opening at 8 am--save 35% on fabric, notions etc, at 9 am it drops to 30%, 10 am 25% & 11am 20% AND they are going to have some of their floor models 40% off!!! Guess where I will be at 8 am on Monday morning??? :icon_woohoo:

Lucky yours is open, I need to get my machine from mine now its all repaired and he is not open on monday or sunday and closes early on sat.... hoping hubby is off sat and we can run down after i get off work (its and hour away) yeah yeah not so local but the best for my machine.

MayinJerset
August 30th, 2013, 08:21 AM
I like to sleep a bit late on Saturdays because growing up I had to do family's food shopping, butcher opened at 8am and I usually was first on line. Afternoons I washed the stairs and landings from the 3rd floor apartment down to the 1st floor hallway and vestibule. Once a month I helped my grandfather polish the brass kick plates on the front and vestibule doors and the brass mailbox built in the wall in the vestibule. My grandfather was always very good to us kids and I was happy to help in keep his building looking good. Now you see why I always try to sleep a bit late on Sat. mornings - usually I wake up whatever time and just stay in bed a few minutes more.

No big plans for the upcoming Labor Day weekend, DS may be going out of town to join friends in a BBQ so DH and I will just wing it for meals. If he doesn't go out of town he can finish the backyard weeding with his dad. I'd like to go fabric shopping for decorating fabrics, want to cover big throw pillows to go with new sectional and maybe make matching valances for the windows. Sort of like the clean look for the cellular shades on the windows and may skip the valances. I've already checked out the decorating fabrics at Joann's, next on my list is Cloth World where I might be able to pick up enough yardage on one of the leftover bolts on sale. Coffee calling, talk to you all later when I have a cup or two.

PS: What's a rainbow loom?

Ginny B
August 30th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Good Morning everyone and Happy Friday! Love Friday's. :) I wake up just feeling different on a Friday. Looking forward to the weekend and all. Up and ready early this morning. Dear grandpuppy is here and came up to get grandma at 5:30 to take a trip outside. Now, of course, my son is here but no, Booda wanted me. My sister is even here, but nooooo, Booda wanted me. LOL But that's ok. It was a nice cool, peaceful morning out there. So, since I am ready for work early today, I actually get a chance to jump on here and say good morning to everyone.

No real plans for the weekend; just planning on enjoying it though that's for sure. My son will be working on my cousin's house. I guess it's getting pretty close to being ready for the contractors to come in now. I sure hope it is ready for them for the holidays this year. DH and I will just be home. We may take a trip to the beach early one morning and the grocery shopping needs to get done and I have to get my "regular" work clothes ready for next week. Starting on Memorial Day, our dress code is relaxed and we can wear jeans all summer (as opposed to just on Fridays during the rest of the year -- another reason to like Fridays). Of course, I need to finish up the last couple of placemats for my soon-to-be daughter-in-law too. When I get them all finished, I will have a photo shoot and then get them posted here.

Myrna, I hope you get the issue from h*ll settled and then you won't have to go back into work mode anymore. Congrats Monique on your ribbons!!! Awesome. To all our members that work in retail, I hope you have easy days with pleasant customers. Hmmmm, Terri, I wonder how long it would take to get to SC and make that sale on Monday? LOL Have fun.

Have a great Friday everyone.

shermur
August 30th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Morning, quilt friends! This morning didn't start out so good...new computer 2 weeks ago, and my daughter accidently got too near the desk and spilt my coffee all over my new keyboard...it does not work now....UGH!
New project for my soon to be divorced sister...I'm hoping it cheers her mood! I found an eyelet fabric that my departed Mother was going to use to make my sister a dress when we were younger, but she never got around to it...I have incorporated this fabric into her quilt....

Jean Sewing Machine
August 30th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Labor day is never a day off for retail, just means more work and more customers all scrabbling for the one item on sale. work as usual. Lately its been the rainbow loom , Us and the learning center are the only ones that carry the official rainbow loom and EVERYONE wants one.we got ours! DGGD was thrilled with it! She tried to do the rubber bands, but couldn't get them on. She is just 4. I think it will work better for the 8 year old!

Bubby
August 30th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Morning,

I had a rough night...very rough night. I won't go into it...it's just more of the same I've been having lately. I hate to start the day off with painkillers.

Jeff and Dottie washed the truck this morning at 6. Dottie and water is a magical combination, however, she barks the whole time, so I got up at 6. So much for trying to sleep in. I will get another chance tomorrow. Our plans for the weekend are sketchy at this point. I want to try to make two more loaves of zucchini bread. I added macadamia nuts and pineapple to the last few loaves and it's a good combination.

Blondie and everyone, enjoy the weekend! Hugs, Barb

Madeforyouinma11
August 30th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Morning everyone! No special plans for the weekend..not yet anyway. The most we'll do is get together with the kids and cookout, but that's always a good time. I went to Joann's yesterday to use my 60% off coupons. I got 3 in the mail and had 1 on my phone, plus I had some 40% too. I got 9 yards of Kona fabric, a pillow form and a couple of fat quarters for less than $50. I need to go back today because I was looking at my slip and the woman charged me for 5yards of one of the fabrics instead of 3.
Myrna, good luck getting that mess straightened out.. Must be hard to get into work mode again.
Monique, your fair items are beautiful, and congratulations again on all your ribbons.
Well, here's hoping everyone has a safe and fun holiday..so sad that it is already the end of summer, especially since it doesn't even feel like we had a real summer at all. Oh well.
Prayers to everyone..oh and ((((hugs)))) too...everyone loves a good hug!

Lisapc
August 30th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Myrna: I hope this mess is cleaned up quick so you can be "really retired".

Monique: Congratulations! Your work is just great!

Iris Girl: Are you gonna give us the heads up on the best toys for Christmas while we can still get them?

Blondie: Before kids it meant a fun night out before cleaning until early afternoon on Saturdays. Sunday's were my favorite days. With kids it means the last day of the week I have to wake up those resting children for school and my last chance to get errands done before the weekend. Hubby doesn't like weekend errands. He whines like a six yr old, "you have to go out? Can't it wait?" After kids, well my little guy is 8 so it will be a long time before I know what that will bring.

Having said all that my little guy has no school today and hubby took the day off to spend with us. It feels like Saturday and I am unsure how the day will unfold. Fine by me!!!

Have a great day to all and if you are going away for the weekend travel safely!

toggpine
August 30th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Morning!
It's a work day for me, but Hubby has it and all next week off.

Did anyone know that Jan Luna had shoulder surgery? I received an e-mail from her last night telling me she made it through and is doing well. Although she wrote that was before the nerve block wore off.
It sounds as if so far, all of our quilty friends are making it through their medical & dental procedures with varying degrees of success. I'll continue to send you all thoughts of healing and quick recovery.

Gotta go find some coffee and deal with the farm stuff before work.
Hugs, Cathy

nyscpa2be
August 30th, 2013, 11:22 AM
I got four hours of sleep last night. Woke up at 9:45, to find vinegar in the coffee pot. So much for being able to wake up today, or sleep.

ilive2craft2
August 30th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Morning all! Sitting in the ER with Mom again today. She is sore but ok now--she was found unresponsive in her apt this morning, so it was scary till I met the ambulance here. Hoping nothing is broken. She had been to the doc yesterday again--now has bronchitis. 2nd trip in less than 2 weeks, we are getting to be regulars around here.

Big news on the remodeling front--cabinets are going in today as well as the doors, bathroom shower tile is also supposed to be completed today. I will be so happy to no longer live in a construction zone!

Hugs and prayers to all.

shermur
August 30th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Morning,

I had a rough night...very rough night. I won't go into it...it's just more of the same I've been having lately. I hate to start the day off with painkillers.

Jeff and Dottie washed the truck this morning at 6. Dottie and water is a magical combination, however, she barks the whole time, so I got up at 6. So much for trying to sleep in. I will get another chance tomorrow. Our plans for the weekend are sketchy at this point. I want to try to make two more loaves of zucchini bread. I added macadamia nuts and pineapple to the last few loaves and it's a good combination.

Blondie and everyone, enjoy the weekend! Hugs, Barb

Hey, Barb! My dog's name is Dottie, Too! Sherri

cyndiofthevortex
August 30th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Good morning, everyone. I have nothing to do today! Nothing I have to do, that is. I have picked up the house and cleaned the kitchen. My sewing room is almost all ready for some creativity to happen in there. I can't decide whether to work on getting an on-going project further along or start on a completely new project. I thought it might be fun to start and finish a new quilt top over this holiday weekend. Doesn't that sound like that would be lots of fun? My fall leaf prints are calling to me and I love the new Silly Geese pattern that Jenny just made a tute for. Would that be cute? It might look like a windy day with all the leaves flying this way and that. We shall see what strikes my fancy on this lovely day of happy sewing!

WendyI
August 30th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Morning all!! I've probably missed you all now but I sure do hope you have a fantabulous long weekend!! My day is insane and I only popped in briefly while waiting for my lunch to heat before getting right back into work. I complained when I was bored and now I'm swamped but I definitely prefer it. Just annoyed that it cuts into my forum time! LOL! Will try to get in and see how everyone is doing but sending (((((HUGS))))) to all those who need them!! TOODLES! Xox

alliek
August 30th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Well I've probably missed everyone today to. Truth is I sleep late every morning I can. I go to bed late and sleep in. When I lived up north and was working I promised myself on those cold.cold mornings when I was chipping ice off my windshield at 5:45am that the first thing I would do as a retiree was throw out the alarm clock. I didn't physically do it, however, I certainly ignore it and dust it every once in awhile.:D