PDA

View Full Version : Saying Goodbye is hard!

Jean Sewing Machine
August 28th, 2013, 09:18 PM
My DD and her DH just drove away with a jam packed car on their way to their new life in Atlanta. They've been with me for 8 weeks while the real estate deals have been negotiated and renegotiated, and renegotiated, etc, etc. but this time she is leaving for good.

Somehow, letting them take wing when they were just out of college wasn't as hard as this is. This is a permanent move, and I don't know when or if I will see them in our family circle around the holidays. That will be hard, but cie la vie! That's life.

I'm crying in my beer now, where is the rest of that beer?

Mom23
August 28th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Jean, I thought of you today. I knew it would be hard for you to see them leave. Maybe you should get yourself a big ole doggie??

NanaB
August 28th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Jean, I am sorry that your daughter has moved so far away. Thank goodness we have computers, telephones, skype, etc. these days. AND, you can always go visit her and see Ruby and Don at the same time!!! None of my girls live close, so I know your heartache. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

K. McEuen
Wow, didn't seem like it had been 2 months. Hold their dogs hostage until they swear to come back and visit.

Doloris
I have a DS in Alabama and one in DC. It's hard not getting to see them. Youngest one in DC almost didn't go because the oldest was in Al and there would be no one here to take care of DH and I. Had to tell him I didn't want him to move, but Dad and I would be fine. We were only 59 at the time. He had to do what was best for him. Then I let him go and cried for 2 days and we talk and text all the time. Now I need a beer :)

Jean Sewing Machine
August 28th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Jean, I am sorry that your daughter has moved so far away. Thank goodness we have computers, telephones, skype, etc. these days. AND, you can always go visit her and see Ruby and Don at the same time!!! None of my girls live close, so I know your heartache. You're in my thoughts and prayers.
I already Google mapped how to get to Ruby and Don's from her house, it isn't that far!

Bubby
August 28th, 2013, 09:35 PM
I know how you feel. My DD has been in New Mexico for the past 4 years or so, but she will be moving back to California before Thanksgiving. I hope you feel better soon...maybe start a new quilt?

easyquilts
August 28th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Jean....Cry all you want.... The grief of having family you care about move away is so real.... I don't know what I would do if my daughter and her family moved away.... Her four boys are my life....

Keeping you in my prayers

nyscpa2be
August 28th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Cry all you want Jean - you just got used to them being there, and now they're not. I just baked some chocolate chip cookies - should I express ship some to you?

Ginny B
August 28th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Oh, Jean, I know how you feel. When my son left to live in Australia, I didn't think I would ever stop crying. It is so hard. He is no longer there -- now he just in Georgia -- which is still far but a lot closer than Australia. And my other son is in California - also far. But I can't convince either one of them to move here where their other 2 brothers are. So, just let those tears flow and have that beer.
Make them a jelly roll quilt for their new place -- :)

shermur
August 28th, 2013, 11:11 PM
I understand, Jean...my Navy DD has been in the Pacific Ocean since June and I've had little contact with her. In fact, I missed two phone calls yesterday and was I a massive grump! It is tough to see the kids leave the nest, especially after you get used to having them around. The house seems different after they leave and you have an adjustment period to go through.....your quilting friends are here, sweetie! Just lean!

MRoy
August 28th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Oh Jean, I know how hard it is for you to see your DD leave. I'll be thinking of you. My DS moved to Seattle WA several years ago to work. When he left our house to go to the airport it was one of the few times that I've seen my DH cry. I still tear up just writing about it. DS is much closer now. We talk and text every few days but it's not the same as seeing him.

SuzyQue
August 28th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Just beginning this path.....one son gone to CT and one daughter to graduate college in December.......one still at home for a bit more. It is so hard and sad, but I have to keep reminding myself that we raised them to go be all they can be and explore the world. Gosh! Why didn't I rethink that philosophy years ago? I can't keep them in a glass box, even if that is what I would want to do. Hold them with an open hand.....let them go.....they will return and there is always the phone! Makes me misty......just thinking of this!

bkthomas
August 28th, 2013, 11:32 PM
(((((((Jean))))))))) This is one of those times I wish I could just drop in on you, share a cuppa, I would even sing and dance!!!!

pcbatiks
August 28th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Jean..........your story made my heart ache.............know that we are all thinking of you.

Lisapc
August 28th, 2013, 11:41 PM
It is a horrible feeling to have your DD move away. Cry all you need and then start planning some trips down there. Quilt shops in a new state, how fun! I do think you should think about getting a dog!

auntiemern
August 28th, 2013, 11:43 PM
Awe. I feel so bad for you. It stinks that they are moving so far away. How nice though that they are close to Ruby and Don when you go visit. Have another beer, and cry all you want.

Madeforyouinma11
August 28th, 2013, 11:50 PM
Jean, I'm sorry you're so sad. It is hard when the "little" ones move so far away. My son moved to Florida 2 years ago and even though I know he is so much better off where he is, I still miss him. We talk and text a lot and every now and then we do face time. I use my iPad and he uses his iPhone. It's not the same as being there, but it helps to "see" him once in awhile.
Have another beer, another cry, and go make a quilt.

MayinJerset
August 29th, 2013, 01:30 AM
Oh Jean, Having them leave is sad. Didn't you say you wanted to travel more. Well, Atlanta isn't that far away and Ruby is there also, bet you two could get into some real trouble together.

Precious1
August 29th, 2013, 01:47 AM
Jean, find comfort knowing that she will miss you just as much and even though she is excited for her future, in her heart, she wishes mom was there with her. (Just thinking like a daughter who misses her momma).

I understand, Jean...my Navy DD has been in the Pacific Ocean since June and I've had little contact with her. In fact, I missed two phone calls yesterday and was I a massive grump! It is tough to see the kids leave the nest, especially after you get used to having them around. The house seems different after they leave and you have an adjustment period to go through.....your quilting friends are here, sweetie! Just lean!

I know how you feel about missing those phone calls. Especially, since you don't know when nor where. I have two sons in the Navy. One was away in DuBai for 6 months, missed two of his calls, made me sad for days.

Sew Perfect
August 29th, 2013, 01:52 AM
Awe Jean, I know it is hard. Maybe, you can go visit them in Atlanta soon. In the mean time, use your sewing to keep you busy.

HandsOffItsMine
August 29th, 2013, 07:29 AM
(((Jean))), I know this is a sad day for you. :( Sure it was for her too! But it will be a new adventure for both you.

Of course when you visit her, you'll need to come visit Don and I. :D We can have some shopping fun and you can show me how to FMQ those wonderful shabby chic roses you do so well. Some nice wine before you sleep in the guest room...

Huggers dear friend and don't shed too many tears in your beer! Ruby and Don

Blondie
August 29th, 2013, 07:44 AM
((((((((( Jean ))))))))))

Feeling your pain. Nothing defines pain and life changes like children moving far away.

Terri
August 29th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Jean,

I so feel your pain. We have four sons, three live within 10-15 minute....but son #4 (my "baby, Brian) lives in Charleston, SC. Yes, it's just 2.5-3 hrs away and is managable. That's where he attended college, worked for a yr or so after college and met his beautiful wife. When one moves hundreds of miles away it makes it so much worse.

So...when he called me late October 2009 and said "I've got something to tell you....." My mind went directly to his fiance (now wife) was pregnant.....didn't raise our sons to do things in that order, but you can't do anything when they are adults. :0 So I prepared myself to hear just that, but instead he says "I no longer work for (insert company name) and we're moving to Jersey City, NJ." I was shocked, stunned, mortified and for the very first time in my life TOTALLY speechless! After not saying a word he said "Momma are you still there?" I just didn't know what to say.... The move was for a job he "just couldn't turn down"....I knew how much he made at his job in Charleston, so I knew it had to be REAL good. I finally asked "When?"....response Thanksgiving weekend!!!! That was about one month away. :icon_sniff: Living in Charleston, I could jump in the car & go visit for the day if the mood struck....but Jersey City, you don't jump in the car and do a day trip from SC!! When they married in Sept 2010 in Charleston, I clung to him like glue....had a major meltdown right after the rehearsal (uncontrolable waterworks!!), but I did good at the wedding. Then back to Jersey City they went. Thank the good Lord above they moved back to Charleston the end of April this year! I was one happy momma to hear that news!!! His wife got a great job offer and their eventual goal all along was to come back south :D, so she came by herself the first week of January and he remained in NJ until their lease was up the end of April. They racked up their skymiles during those four months! Fortunately the company he was with in NJ loved him so much, they went out of their way to keep him on. Because they don't have a physical location in the state of SC they could not keep him on as an employee, so they went to the trouble & effort of keeping him on under contract as a consultant so he could work from home in SC!!

Sorry for the long story, but just wanted to let you know I have been there and it hurts when one of your kids is so far away. Go ahead and cry in your beer, milk, juice or whatever for however long you need to. {{{{warm hugs}}}} from one mother to another.

Terri

dwil23
August 29th, 2013, 08:12 AM
(((HUGS)))) Jean. My DS, DIL, and precious DGS are only two and a half hours away, but I understand how you feel. There was a possibility they were going to Dallas and that wasn't making either grandma happy. I would normally say to some one "stay busy", but you already do! I also like Mom23's suggestion - you need to get a big ole dog. A real sweet, loving guy (or girl) that can make the road trip with you to Hot-lanta.

And remember, like others have said: Nowadays we have all this technology. Can you imagine how the Mom's and Dad's felt as they said goodbye to their children when they headed out in the covered wagons never to be seen again? I can't.

Saying a prayer for a safe journey.

Granny Judy
August 29th, 2013, 09:45 AM
I'll be joining you with a Beer or two. My Son & family just left to finish up their touring vacation... He is 49, but still very much a Special boy in my heart. I had a good cry after they left. He has this "look" that lets me know he loves me and will miss me too.

I really understand what you are feeling, right now. (sob)

cyndiofthevortex
August 29th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Saying goodbye is hard! When DD Faith went to serve in Iraq I didn't know if I'd ever see her again this side of heaven. She came home safe and sound but what a year that was. I know how sad you must be. So sorry. I hope they are happy in their new home.

Jean Sewing Machine
August 29th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Thanks everybody for your words of comfort! We've said goodbye before, but this time it hit me like a ton of bricks. She's off to a great new career path, I can only hope it works out for her. I need to be the wind beneath her wings.

GuitarGramma
August 29th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Oh, Jean, I'm so sorry. I now realize what I've put my own mother through. And I'm about to feel your pain, because two of my daughters are moving half way across the country next monthh. They'll be two hours away from each other, but four days away from us. Like your DD, they've each been offered terrific career moves. It's the right thing for them, but will be so tough for us.

((((((((Jean))))))))

Genny
August 29th, 2013, 06:37 PM
My DD and her DH just drove away with a jam packed car on their way to their new life in Atlanta. They've been with me for 8 weeks while the real estate deals have been negotiated and renegotiated, and renegotiated, etc, etc. but this time she is leaving for good.

Somehow, letting them take wing when they were just out of college wasn't as hard as this is. This is a permanent move, and I don't know when or if I will see them in our family circle around the holidays. That will be hard, but cie la vie! That's life.

I'm crying in my beer now, where is the rest of that beer?

Oh Jean...I absolutely know how you're feeling! Ten years ago my daughter, my son-in-law, and my 2 precious grandaughter's left for their new life in Colorado after always living within a few blocks of me and my husband. My heart was broken and I cried for days. I just knew that they would be gone forever and that if we were lucky we'd get to see them a couple times a year. Sometimes life gives us wonderful surprises...my family moved back home after 3years. Maybe your family will move back too...stranger things have happened!

Monique
August 29th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Jean, once a mother, always a mother. And no matter what age they are, it doesn't get any easier. I feel for you, my friend.

stitching woman
August 29th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Hugs Jean! I feel your pain. Thank goodness for all the new technology to help keep us in touch with our kids.

Divine Daisy
August 30th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Oh Jean...........it is awful, I know. Stay strong and be brave. Thinking of you every day

Jean Sewing Machine
August 30th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Oh Jean...........it is awful, I know. Stay strong and be brave. Thinking of you every day
And I think of you also! Hope things are going OK with you guys!