PDA

View Full Version : Puppy kitty question

Hulamoon
August 28th, 2013, 09:09 PM
A good friend here asked about my quest for a puppy. :) So sorry to bring this up again.

I have two cat's and one has become a lap cat, the other comes and goes. I'm really afraid of getting a puppy because the cat's might run off. :(

I really want someone to walk with though. One of my last cat's ran off because of one of these new one's coming in, She was three, :(

nyscpa2be
August 28th, 2013, 09:13 PM
I think it really depends on the personalities of the pets. When we brought Tobey home, Tiger Lily moved downstairs. And she has rarely been up since, in over two years. If you can, I would ask a kennel if you could bring a dog home for a day to test out with the cats and see how they do.

Hulamoon
August 28th, 2013, 09:49 PM
I think it really depends on the personalities of the pets. When we brought Tobey home, Tiger Lily moved downstairs. And she has rarely been up since, in over two years. If you can, I would ask a kennel if you could bring a dog home for a day to test out with the cats and see how they do.

That's why I want to get a small puppy. A larger dog might scare the hell of them. And I do have to think about them too. But I can't really walk them or take them to the beach.

nyscpa2be
August 28th, 2013, 09:57 PM
That's why I want to get a small puppy. A larger dog might scare the hell of them. And I do have to think about them too. But I can't really walk them or take them to the beach.

Tobey was a three month old when we got him, but he is a very high strung black lab. The other cat who died soon after he came was in control of the house - he got a bloody nose several times from Sassy!

yeeehawterri
August 28th, 2013, 11:08 PM
When I got my dog, he was a 13 month old rescue. I had 3 cats at the time. The dog is a Great Dane, and the cats hid for the first month in my daughters bedroom. They started slowly coming out, and now, 9 years later, my old cat rules the roost. The dog is very respectful and knows his place even though he's 140 vs her 9 lbs. Animals have a way of working things out, if you do get a puppy, just make sure the cats have an area they can get to easily that is dog free.

shermur
August 28th, 2013, 11:19 PM
It is possible...in fact, try going through a rescue group and look for a breed of dog that is the size you want that has been in foster care! Rescue dogs that are in foster care are usually used to kids, cats and all different types of environments. Plus, you're saving a life; get a wire kennel so the dog can be separate from the kitties and a rotation might help with surroundings and scents....It took two months a every evening for us, but my rescued Staffordshire Bull Terrier and Oscar the cat get along just fabulous!

PeggyM
August 28th, 2013, 11:21 PM
I put a baby gate in the hallway, so the kitties could feel safe in another room. I found doggie and kitties nose to nose at the gate after a while, bonding. Bye-bye baby gate, hello friends. They became BFFs.

Claire Hallman
August 28th, 2013, 11:45 PM
We had a dog and cat and the cat passed away. We missed the cat so decided to get another. We got him a the pound and had him dog tested, lol. They brought a dog into the room where the cat was and he didn't even react. When we took the cat home he did take a couple of days to accept the dog and they became fast friends.

Lisapc
August 28th, 2013, 11:59 PM
You have the cats first, they know it is there home and they will take charge. They may be mad at you for a few days or months but they will teach this new dog he isn't the boss. They may end up thinking he is a visitor because they outlasted the last dog.

Just do it!

bdmsmith
August 29th, 2013, 12:08 AM
My youngest has a cat that sleeps with him and just loves him. Last year we got a westie puppy and the she would want to play with 'Tom' cat and he would bat at her (he's declawed). He would run away whenever he saw the dog but wasn't afraid of him---I think since the cat was so much older he didn't want to be bothered. Then 3 months ago we got another westie puppy and for some reason this puppy left the cat alone, probably because he has the female westie to play with. Now the cat walks through the house as he pleases and if the dogs get too close then he just bats them away and lays back down. However, my sons bed is a really tall bed and the cat also can get up there to get away from the dogs and I think this helps because he knows there is a place for him to get away.

I would recommend also having something tall the cat can get into and away from the dogs like a cat tower or they now have these cat beds that suction to a window and our cat loves it because he can look outside.

Also, if you get a puppy then the older cats will be able to 'teach' the puppy what is acceptable---an older dog would be more set in their ways and may not be nice to the cat unless you did as previously suggested and have a play date first to check out how it would go.

Hulamoon
August 29th, 2013, 02:34 AM
You guys are so sweet to listen to my puppy woes these last months since my dd moved out. I loved her dog,but when she brings him over I realize he is just a little bit too big. I baby sat every day but he was so darned hard to walk. She still never took him to the beach because she doesn't trust what he will do. Like running out to the highway. He's great at the dog park though and a new one is being done down right down the street from me! I think that's what got me thinking again. The other park it was so nice to spend a couple of hours or half hours, lol sitting under a tree and meeting people :) And putting a dirty panting dog into your car. lol

Oh and I have a cat tree :)