PDA

View Full Version : A Honey Boo Boo Day

Sharyn J
August 28th, 2013, 08:14 PM
I think I just had a Honey Boo Boo day. It's been hotter than a well-diggers butt here so I didn't feel like cooking and was searching the fridge for something. Oh, alas, I had some bologna. My mind went into quick hillbilly heaven and dragged out the fryin' pan. Yup, cooked that boloney til they look liked little "Sombrero" hats. A dollop of american cheese til it melted and thrown on some cheap white bread.

The last time I had a taste for this, my grandkids were here. The look on their faces was priceless. I'm sure they told all their friends that gramma lost her mind. I'm sure none of them would be caught dead eating baloney! Only the $9 a pound stuff for those kiddies.

kelliedi
August 28th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Just bought a pound of oscar meyer on sale. Do you know that they now make SUPER THICK slices? yep they sure do. they are like two of the thick cut ones. now if you had just added some onion to that sandwich you would be set...

K. McEuen
August 28th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Hey, I like a bologna sandwich once in a while. Haven't had a fried one in years though. Remember when we had to pull that red casing off our bologna?

Judy~Ann
August 28th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Oh My GOSH... memories.
Yes, as kids, we ate fried baloney sandwiches too. AND we pulled the red plastic off! Haven't had one in many years either. Another memory... when my children were in grammar school, lived at Ft Bragg, N.C. One day hubby and I went to 'parents day' and we were invited to eat lunch with the kids in the cafeteria. Wanna guess what was on the menu? ... lol... Mac and cheese.... turnip greens... and fried baloney. We laughed about that for days.... We had just moved to N.C. from Oahu and though we'd learned to enjoy many dishes from all over the Pacific ... none of us had ever had fried baloney as the protein in the school cafeteria.

Bubby
August 28th, 2013, 09:33 PM
My Hubby eats B-bloney (that's what we call it) almost every day for lunch. I don't eat it, but I think I had it a few times as a kid.

Sharyn J
August 28th, 2013, 10:04 PM
LOL, I forgot about pulling that red plastic off (in the olden days).

pcbatiks
August 28th, 2013, 11:30 PM
I hate to tell you, forum friends.......but you'll are Baloney Amateurs until you've tried a meal from my childhood! :D When I was in grade school or jr. high our cafeteria would occasionally serve.........what they called Baloney Cups! What is a Baloney Cup you ask........it's a fried piece of baloney.......curled up in a bowl shape. On top of that they would add a dry scoop shape of mashed potatoes. Then they would slap one of those bright red cheap school wieners right on top of the scoop of potatoes!! :icon_eek: If we were "lucky" sometimes they would pour a runny watery "meat" sauce over the whole thing! Oooohhhh.......I'm getting queasy just thinking about it!! :icon_tape: Yes, this is true and no I never ate it! My brother remembers them too...........we have never found anyone else who had such a "yummy" dish at school! People just stare at us in disbelief when that school meal is mentioned!
Good ole baloney cups.............what memories........ :D

Lisapc
August 28th, 2013, 11:49 PM
My B.J.'s sells really good balogna for $1.99 a pound. Once or twice a year I buy a 1/2 pound and make the Peter's eat it for a Saturday lunch. I love the fried balogna sandwiches. I draw the line at canned hash though. My mother used to think it was OK to serve canned hash with fried eggs and toast for dinner once in a while.

auntiemern
August 29th, 2013, 12:06 AM
I buy bologna all the time. I will buy Oscar Mayer, but my favorite is Mayrose from the deli department, Not all bologna is created equal. Don't remember bologna at school. I like it plain with either mustard or miracle whip. But to dress it up it is great with lettuce and tomato with the MW, or smashed tater chips on one with mustard. Who woulda thunk we had a thread about bologna.

bdmsmith
August 29th, 2013, 12:12 AM
My kids love fried bologna. My youngest likes to cook his until it's black. We never had it in school and neither has my kids that I know of.

Auntiemern---now you're talking---a fried bologna sandwich with crushed up potato chips is awesome.

Along the same line---has anyone had fried spam? My husband and kids love it although I don't care for it much. They love it sliced, fried and put on toast.

MayinJerset
August 29th, 2013, 01:07 AM
Never had fried boloney but we did have lots of boloney and other cheaper cold cuts for our lunch sandwiches. Anyone remember spiced ham? It was bits and pieces of ham melded together with something or other. We thought that was ham and was very surprised when we grew older that it wasn't the real stuff.

My grandfather loved head cheese cold cut, a really gooey looking mix of bits of pork , gelatin and stuff. Each Saturday after I finished doing food shopping for my mother Grandpa would give me some money to go to Trunz (the pork store) to buy him some head cheese and pickled pigs knuckles. Other thing he loved was provolone cheese cut from those big long loaves you see hanging in Italian markets. It is thick, creamy and really has a bit to it.

If I had to name my favorite cold cut it would be Boar's Head Liverwurst, love a few slices on white bread, bread and butter pickles topped with a little yellow mustard. Favorite childhood sandwich is Land o' Lakes yellow American cheese on lightly buttered Levy's Rye bread. Cheese still tastes the same but Levy's Rye bread doesn't.

Not real crazy for canned hash, never had home made hash. Anyway, I keep a few cans of lower sodium hash in my pantry for quickie meals during the winter when I'm out of meat and it is too cold to go out shopping. DH loves his over easy sunnyside up eggs so he tolerates the hash once in awhile.

Love reading about different things we did or ate when we were growing up. Many of those things are gone forever.

PS: It is 12:15 in the morning and I'm dying for a cold cut sandwich, don't care which one it is but not interested in a fried boloney one.

Kelly F
August 29th, 2013, 01:13 AM
Recently, my mother in law went out of town leaving my father in law behind. I was heading to the store and asked if he needed anything. He wanted beef bologna, extra thick, Big 8's if they got it, but make sure it is thick and has the red wrapper!!

I knew exactly what he wanted, bought some for me too! I hadn't had it in years. Yup, I fried mine up! Omg.. MEMORIES!

FYI, German bologna from the deli tastes a lot like fried bologna. Try sometime if you never have, you will love it!

MillieS
August 29th, 2013, 01:23 AM
We called it Big Bologna..We always ate it as a cold sandwich. Never heard of frying it. I have had fried Spam.

Lindagie
August 29th, 2013, 01:34 AM
We never had Spam, but I remember spiced ham and also the fried bologna sandwiches. They were pretty good. We also ate alot of braunsweiger (sp). I had to put tomatoes and a lot of Miracle whip on that last one to make it edible. Wonder if they still make it

ellietow
August 29th, 2013, 02:13 AM
Such memories! Fried bologna sandwiches (with the casing pulled off) AND fried spam sandwiches.. On white bread!

Madeforyouinma11
August 29th, 2013, 02:21 AM
I don't have them very often, but I love fried bologna sandwiches with cheese...yumm. I grew up with spam but don't like it now. I really like corned beef hash and usually buy it in the can. I've only had homemade once and they didn't do a good job so it kinda turned me off of it. I've never tried making my own...hmmm might have to look for a recipe for that. All this talk about food, I may have to get up early just so I can cook up some breakfast.

Iris Girl
August 29th, 2013, 05:52 AM
yup have had all those except bologna cups. Even my kids eat fried bologna, I remember spiced ham , spam, hash in a can with eggs still eat most of those from time to time. Growing up in a single parent family we ate alot of cheap things and they still carry over today. Plus with hubby unemployed for 2 years ... yep you get the picture its dining on a shoestring... Or maybe its just the hill billy in me showing through. But rather be a country girl any day over a snobbish city slicker. just my opinion.

Nidan_07
August 29th, 2013, 06:56 AM
My B.J.'s sells really good balogna for $1.99 a pound. Once or twice a year I buy a 1/2 pound and make the Peter's eat it for a Saturday lunch. I love the fried balogna sandwiches. I draw the line at canned hash though. My mother used to think it was OK to serve canned hash with fried eggs and toast for dinner once in a while.

Hiya Lisa,
Please Pardon my ignorance, but can you tell me what 'canned hash' is? I think bologna is called something different down here, but I could be wrong about that. I do know what it is though. Good ol' Spam is the same (disgusting ham like stuff with a slimy jelly sort of coating in a can.?? if this is the same stuff then my father used to think that this was great pan fried with eggs and toast). I have not heard of canned hash before. Maybe we have it down here and it is called something different. Just interested to know.....

MayinJerset
August 29th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Lenore, My can of Hormel Mary Kitchen Corned Beef Hash 50 % Reduced Fat lists the ingredients as Beef and Corned Beef (cured with water, sugar, sodium nitrate) Hydrated Potatoes, Water, Salt, Flavoring, Sugar, Spices, Sodium Nitrite. Can also states that water was added to reduce fat. Guess that means instead of corned beef and potatoes we get lots of water as a filler. Basically hash is made from leftover corned beef and boiled potatoes all chopped up small and mixed together. I've heard of Red Flannel Hash which is made with beets instead of white potatoes. After reading the ingredients in the can and all the sodium in it I may have to rethink about eating this stuff.

Spam never made it our house when I was growing up during WWII when people were using it a lot because there was meat rationing. The spiced ham we used for sandwiches was a lot like Spam only softer and less salty. Back in those days we never considered cutting down on our salt intake.

Roxanne
August 29th, 2013, 10:23 AM
That was one of my favorites as a kid. Fried bologna and cheese. Yumm. Even better on homemade bread.

K. McEuen
August 29th, 2013, 01:20 PM
I never could stomach Spam. Just EW ew ewwwwww. Hubby said something about it once and I just said no. Seems they had Barbequed Spam in their family. His mom fried it and then drowned it in BBQ sauce. There's not enough BBQ sauce in the world ...

My sister loved Olive Loaf when we were kids. Pretty much just bologna with green olives in it. I didn't like it, except I would pick the olives out and eat them and then she'd have holy bologna.

mooveenut57
August 29th, 2013, 01:57 PM
I could eat bologna every day, if I'd let myself! But my favorite of all time is bologna, miracle whip, and a fat slice of tomato on white bread :icon_razz:

asta
August 29th, 2013, 02:25 PM
In our family bologna was called Steve's favorite kind of meat. My brother Steve had a bologna sandwich every day, just 2 slices of meat on the cheap white bread, never anything extra. We went to a small country catholic school and our lunch ladies made the best hot lunches, "real" food, baked chicken/fixins, fresh made pasta/sauce and many more but Steve would have his sandwich with whatever dessert was on the menu. those farmers wives make the best cakes and pies.

Judy~Ann
August 29th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Hmmmm.... Spam.

As someone said. ... Spam became popular during WWll. It was a safe and convenient way to get meat to the troops. My husband is from Guam and we spent more than 10 years living in Hawaii....(Guam and Hawaii are the world's largest consumers of Spam... with the average person consuming more than 15 cans per year.) All that to say, I've served lots of Spam over the years. Hubby and kids like(d) it... but I've never been a fan. The only way I eat Spam is in my fried rice recipe (I'll share it if anyone wants it.)...

pcbatiks
August 29th, 2013, 02:55 PM
I never could stomach Spam. Just EW ew ewwwwww. Hubby said something about it once and I just said no. Seems they had Barbequed Spam in their family. His mom fried it and then drowned it in BBQ sauce. There's not enough BBQ sauce in the world ...

My sister loved Olive Loaf when we were kids. Pretty much just bologna with green olives in it. I didn't like it, except I would pick the olives out and eat them and then she'd have holy bologna.

My feelings exactly...........Not enough BBQ sauce in the world........I've got to quit reading this thread.........eeewww... :D

Sharyn J
August 29th, 2013, 02:58 PM
You gotta be kidding me........there's a special website for spam recipes! Spam Recipes .net | A Spam Recipe collection from around the web (http://www.spamrecipes.net/)

I think I'll stick with my bologna. :D

Monique
August 29th, 2013, 07:00 PM
MMMM fried bologna. Yes, I do that once in a while.