PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Requests Please

KathyCrofoot
August 28th, 2013, 10:32 AM
My 77 year old dad went to the doctor for a routine appointment and ended up being admitted on Monday. He's undergoing heart catheterization as I write. Me? I'm 1000 miles a way and can do nothing at this point except Pray. His health has been failing for the past several years, with diabetes, two heart bypass surgeries since 1979, a heart attack and other various old-age issues. Mom and my sister are with him at the hospital.

This is a picture of my Dad with the quilt I made for him, presented on July 3, 2013. According to my sister, he has really declined in the last 6 weeks or so.

Please keep Dad and Mom in your prayers.

Thank you

Lisapc
August 28th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Absolutely they are in my prayers, you too! The quilt is just wonderful.

melsuedsm
August 28th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Sending prayers to you and your family.

HandsOffItsMine
August 28th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Prayers and healing light for your father as I type. Huggers and prayers for your mom, you and your family.

Ruby

Sandy Navas
August 28th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Kathy, sending special prayers - it is so very difficult when you are so far away. I'd have no fingernails left until I heard that all was successful.

EsGrandma
August 28th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Praying for your dad and your family - your quilt is beautiful. He looks so proud and happy in picture.

Bubby
August 28th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Kathy, I'm praying for your Dad and your family. Barb

KathyCrofoot
August 28th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Thank you everyone. I just heard from Mom and Sis - they have to place a stent because of a blockage. Could be why his blood pressure was so low - not to mention his meds are all goofed up. Getting old is not for sissies!

I am trying to get some work done, but it's not working so well at the moment. Not even quilting is bringing me peace. Working on contingency plans in case we need to make a quick departure.

MayinJerset
August 28th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Hope the stent does gets your Dad on the way to feeling better. Keeping him in my prayers, he looks so cute with the quilt you made him.

KathyCrofoot
August 28th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Another update - Dad is in recovery - the cardiology doctor came in. Evidently when he went in for the appointment, his blood tests showed he was or had recently had a heart attack! Hence all the craziness getting him other tests and catheterization and stent. 60% blockage. The grafts are holding up from the last bypass. He's also anemic.

I'm feeling less anxious, but still seriously distracted and out of sorts. I hate being here while they are there. :(

nyscpa2be
August 28th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Just saw the update - so glad he is recovering now. Prayers headed out and up!

alliek
August 28th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Prayers for your Dad and your family. God Bless

Momofmonsters5
August 28th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Prayers sent! My dad is the same age and 5 years ago he had the same thing going on with heart surgeries. He's back to golfing 2 days a week, have faith that generation are the fighters! Hope his surgery goes well and he knows you love him and are there in his heart

Terri
August 28th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Kathy, my prayers go out to you and your family, especially your dear sweet Dad. My pray, hope & wish for him and all of your family is that he is up & ready to go soon! I really know what it is like to be so far away from my parents....over 600 miles. NO fun.

My dad underwent quadruple bypass in June,1995...recovered well. Was diagnosed w/prostate cancer Nov, 1996....40 days of radiation (8wks @ 5 days p/wk), was considered cured after the 5 yr mark. Fell & broke his hip April 2008, had to place him & Mom in assisted living then....Mom has dementia and Dad just couldn't take care of both of them (and my 2 sisters & I all agreed that none of us could handle Mom, not even my oldest sister the RN!!). He started going downhill fast in Dec 2009 (he was put on palliative care by hospice), saw him for a wk then, went back to FL for a wk in Jan (got a call when I was on the way from the airport to see them....thought he had a stroke & was rushed to the ER....he was in the hospital the entire time I was there...no stroke, serious UTI) and I went back in Feb for a wk....ended up staying until HE decided it was his time to pass. :icon_sniff: He was tired, everything he enjoyed had been taken from him....he had macular degeneration so his eyesight was pretty much gone...he loved to read, play cards, watch football & baseball on TV & go watch the dog races. His back got so bad he went from periodically using a cane, to totally relying on one, then to a walker and finally a wheelchair. Due to over 75 yrs of smoking he had COPD and was dependent on oxygen at the end. Would I wish him back? Never, not the way he was. Do I still miss him after 3.5 yrs? YES, just as though it was yesterday. If he had lived another 6 wks, he & Mom would have celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary. We believe Mom is still with us ONLY because of the dementia....she hasn't been able to grieve in the "normal" way. :( No, getting old ain't for sissies.....whether it's yourself or watching your parents. :-(

KathyCrofoot
August 28th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Thank you everyone for your prayers. I've been able to focus some on work, in between talking to Mom & Sis. That is a great comfort. Mom says Dad is resting comfortably and they will be getting him something to eat (which will probably improve his disposition) ;). Mom says she doesn't want me to come out there, she can handle everything herself - ugh. Back to "plan B" - waiting for news - getting on with my life. I do talk to her almost daily, but not being able to see them is killing me.. Not knowing if they are really doing as well as she says is hard.

Terri, thank you for sharing your story with me. Mom is still active and aware at 67, and is Dad's sole care-taker. I keep after her to find a care-giver's support group so that she can get some support too.

Thank you everyone for being here with me and giving me a chance to focus on how grateful I am to still have them both, even if we are so far away.

pcbatiks
August 28th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Kathy.....prayers for your dad and family.....

lilmouse
August 28th, 2013, 11:35 PM
Keeping all of you in prayer and hope you find some peace!

bkthomas
August 28th, 2013, 11:42 PM
((((((((Kathy)))))))))) ......prayers, always.......

auntiemern
August 29th, 2013, 12:08 AM
Prayers for your dad and your family.

Kelly F
August 29th, 2013, 12:15 AM
Prayers to you!

BellasQuilts
August 29th, 2013, 12:25 AM
Sending a prayer out now.

KathyCrofoot
August 30th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Final update - thank you everyone! Dad is home from the hospital and on the road to recovery. I would like it if you would continue to say a prayer for both of them now and then - as they adjust to the new 'normal'.

Lindagie
August 30th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Certainly will pray that he recovers and gets back to their good "normal"; and some prayers for your mom as well! Happy to hear he is home and doing well!

quiltingtrish
August 30th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Kathy - prayers coming. Of course you were crazy - being so far away. I would be too. I am glad to hear he is home and recovering but prayers are still coming for both your parents. And you too.

Hugs,