PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Greetings

Blondie
August 28th, 2013, 09:10 AM

Hello Folksies!
Geesh, I am ready to put on my running shoes - another busy day ahead. We had some unexpected company yesterday afternoon - a cousin and her hubs on their way back from her hubby's homeplace. I was NOT prepared, but, thankfully they are not picky. About anything. It made me happy that I made the effort to really scrub my shower this week. Don't laugh. You know I have issues with my shoulder/arm etc. which makes it very difficult to do the serious scrubbing that needs to be done. I found a recipe on pinterest (imagine that) and decided it was worth trying. It was insanely easy and WORKS. So, all the hardwater and soap scum are gone. I was not embarassed for them to shower. lol.
Off to the oncologist with Mom today and hopefully get a good report. Things have been kinda iffy in that dept recently, so prayers are appreciated.
Now that the cousins have left, I can make a fresh pot of coffee. Not used to sharing my happy brew with so many so early in the day. I swear, I could use an urn of it this morning.
Blessings, hugs and always remember that you're never fully dressed without a smile.

nyscpa2be
August 28th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Morning Blondie. Prayers of your mom are on their way, and could you pretty please with a cherry on top share the link for shower cleaner? I cannot get my shower here clean - the hard water is awful! Thanks!

Off to help dad a few inches off a door to make a new desk for the sewing room - pics to come. Well, after he kills the woodchuck in the backyard.

MayinJerset
August 28th, 2013, 09:21 AM
OK Blondie, How about sharing that recipe that you used to clean your shower? DH usually showers in the upstairs bathroom as he likes the big new shower stall but he is a little less than careful about wiping it down so every once in awhile I like to give it a good going over. I have a long handled scrubby that I use and it seems to get into the corners and seams where the soap scum builds up.

While you were busy making coffee for your visitors we began today's hump day postings. Nice that your cousins were the type that you didn't have to fuss over, makes having unexpected visitors a pleasure.

Hope Mom's appointment goes very well.

Bubby
August 28th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Good Morning,

I made it through my long (4 1/2 hour) dental appointment yesterday. The dr did some laser surgery on the margin around one of my teeth, he put in my permanent bridge (yay for a little progress) and prepped the rest of my top teeth for what he's going to do, which is two crowns in the back with a cantilever crown. I go back tomorrow for another root canal. I'm scheduled for another 4 hours. That should make me thoroughly worn out for the weekend. So far my pain is manageable from yesterdays work.

Blondie, my prayers are with Mom and you today as you visit the oncologist. I'm hoping and praying for a good report.

I plan to do some mowing later today so Jeff won't have to work after he gets home from work tonight. I want to do something nice for him...he's been a supportive angel with me and my teeth deal.

Wishing everyone a great hump day....will check in later. Hugs, Barb

Monique
August 28th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Good morning Blondie. Good luck at the appointment.

Blondie
August 28th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Morning Blondie. Prayers of your mom are on their way, and could you pretty please with a cherry on top share the link for shower cleaner? I cannot get my shower here clean - the hard water is awful! Thanks!

Off to help dad a few inches off a door to make a new desk for the sewing room - pics to come. Well, after he kills the woodchuck in the backyard.

Here you go!
Asher's Acres: Awesome Cleaner or Stinky Mess? - Tub Cleaner (http://www.iowadiygirl.com/2012/07/awesome-cleaner-or-stinky-mess-tub.html)

Blondie
August 28th, 2013, 09:35 AM
OK Blondie, How about sharing that recipe that you used to clean your shower? DH usually showers in the upstairs bathroom as he likes the big new shower stall but he is a little less than careful about wiping it down so every once in awhile I like to give it a good going over. I have a long handled scrubby that I use and it seems to get into the corners and seams where the soap scum builds up.

While you were busy making coffee for your visitors we began today's hump day postings. Nice that your cousins were the type that you didn't have to fuss over, makes having unexpected visitors a pleasure.

Hope Mom's appointment goes very well.
Hi May
I just posted the link. I should add that I used the newer Dawn that I had in trial size - it is one that they recommend for pots/casseroles that need a good overnite soak.

nyscpa2be
August 28th, 2013, 09:38 AM
I wonder if Palmolive would work? No Dawn in the house.

Blondie
August 28th, 2013, 09:39 AM
I don't know about the palmolive. I would run and buy a small bottle of Dawn. That stuff works like a champ on everything else from fleas to de greasing birds. I think it is a secret weapon.

Lisapc
August 28th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Blondie: I love impromptu visits. Hubby hates them but since I do the food/comfort arraignments he doesn't complain. Saying prayers for your Mom.

Bubby: I am glad you are doing well. I was really worried so just stay ahead of that pain. Don't let it build or it is even harder to knock down.

Have a wonderful day to all and Prayers to everyone!

MRoy
August 28th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the "recipe" Blondie! Praying that your mom's appointment goes well. Barb, be careful and don't get too hot today!
Today is WW meeting (hoping to have maintained this week) then cut the grass this afternoon. I don't like impromptu visits...I'm a planner and, although I love to see them, I get rattled when there are unannounced drop-ins.

MayinJerset
August 28th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Thanks Blondie, A friend recently sent me the same recipe for cleaning everything, did stress to use original Blue Dawn but the pot scrubber one sounds like it would work even better. Liked her idea about killing 2 birds with one stone by heating vinegar in the microwave.

Interesting site, loved the cinnamon rolls recipe. Haven't made them in years. Might start doing it again as we were very disappointed with the tray of cinnamon rolls we picked up at IKEA the other day, too much sugar on top and they weren't baked enough. Those Cinnabons sold at the malls are also too sweet. When we were kids and my parents bought some mixed buns from the local bakery it was a big treat, they buns didn't have much sugar on them and if we came across a tiny raisin in one of the buns it was a double treat.

Sandy Navas
August 28th, 2013, 10:35 AM
I have cinnamon buns sticking out on my thighs - still hanging on from years ago. Not a sweet tooth, but if I were to pick a 'treat' for breakfast it would be glazed raised donuts. YUM.

Sending special prayers for Ruth - and for Barb - and, well, maybe for me? Having trabeculectomy at noon - just a wee bit apprehensive. I have faith in my doctor but having only one good eyeball . . .

Glass doors on showers? Since I had our BR remodeled I've used Arm & Hammer Shower Clean on a daily basis - lightly spray the doors and walls after a shower. Hard water build-up? Nada. Soap scum? Nada. AND it is very inexpensive. Dawn - not a day goes by without it. Panic sets in if the container is nigh empty. And, their Power Scrub is special - though they no longer carry it in our area. I had to jump through hoops recently to lay hands on some.

Off to do my preps. Hope everyone has a great day.

Blondie
August 28th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Sending special prayers for Ruth - and for Barb - and, well, maybe for me? Having trabeculectomy at noon - just a wee bit apprehensive. I have faith in my doctor but having only one good eyeball . . .

Sandy, saying extra prayers for you right this very minute; Barb's been blanketed with prayer as well. I have a client in the past who has had the tra. procedure, Sandy, and it helped with the gla. pressure. Big hugs. Positive thoughts and lotsa smiles.
Blondie

Madeforyouinma11
August 28th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Just stopping by to say hello...I've got the little one for a couple of hours and I have a dentist appointment at 1.
Prayers to Blondies mom and Sandy, I'll be thinking of you today. Hope all goes well. Keep us posted.
Love my Dawn and I use Scrub Free on my tub and shower. Will be trying dawn and vinegar.
Have a great day everyone!

auntiemern
August 28th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Just popping in to say hi. Extra special prayers for Ruth and our dear Sandy.

alliek
August 28th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Prayers being said for your Mom. Including my mom who is under the weather today. Hope she feels better soon. The doc gave her a pneumonia booster yesterday, wondering if she's having a reaction? We'll see. Nice to have your cousins drop by, I like "casual" people who know life goes on when they're not around and the results sometimes are very visual. Did some sewing yesterday, cleaning today then to the store for supplies to make my contributions to the community dinner my church has with "Grace on Main" a faith based community that goes where most people don't want to go and offers non judgemental help,love,comfort and friendship to everyone. Have a good one all, and count your blessings, I count you as one mine!:icon_bigsmile:

K. McEuen
August 28th, 2013, 02:50 PM
I have cinnamon buns sticking out on my thighs

At least you aren't like Princess Leia, who has them growing out the side of her head.

Good luck with the eyeball procedure today. I'm squinting just thinking about it.

toggpine
August 28th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Here is a link to all of the handy things we have posted here for keeping the house clean, and hopefully simpler!
http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/general-discussion/17490-handy-household-hints-tips.html

My "Scum Buster" recipe calls for 2 cups of vinegar to 1/2 cup of Dawn. It works just as well as the more concentrated mix. I am glad to hear that you can use other "flavors" of Dawn in the recipe. I'm thinking that the Dawn is the key to cutting through the "grease" layer of the scum. I'm not sure the other brands have the same grease cutting ability.

Yesterday was an unplanned trip to IKEA. I found the perfect gift for the grandson; a pop up circus tent! Not quite as big as the Igloo tent we got for Emily years ago, but probably a better fit for an apartment. I also picked up some new wall clocks for $2! I live those things. I especially like that I can change out the paper behind them and make them personalized.

I also picked up the heating element for the oven, a new water filter for the fridge, and some more vacuum cleaner bags. Whoo Hoo! We are back in business!

Today we have to pick berries and other garden yummies before the rain beats the crud out of them. I get to figure out how to use the new pressure canner. We also have Em's school orientation event at school today. She gets to find her new classroom, talk to her teacher, and pick out a fresh backpack. Afterwards we may go pick up the last of the school supplies on her list.

Glad to hear yesterday's medical procedures went well. Here is to hoping that today's go as well for everyone.
Blessings, hugs, and prayers for all of my quilty friends.
Cathy

Terri
August 28th, 2013, 04:02 PM
I had a sneakin' suspicion that it had vinegar in it! I so hate the smell of vinegar, but I hate the way our shower looks even more. I have lower back/rt shoulder/neck issues due to being so "graceful". (NOT!!)

Fell on our kitchen floor August 2009 (vinyl flooring & Pledge dusting spray do not play nice together!), October 4, 2010 (our 30th anniversary) I fell down a set of three concrete steps at Disney World AND took down a 3 yr old little boy with me (paramedics were called...both of us deemed okay, but I still get emotional thinking about knocking down that sweet little boy), Dec 23, 2010 I rolled my Dodge Nitro onto its side and was hanging by my seatbelt. Totaled my Nitro, but the worst part was I had JUST picked up what was going to be the family Christmas dinner (or most of it anyway) a fully cooked whole boneless turkey breast, a half of a boneless spiral cut ham, and a 9 x 13 pan of dressing and it got tossed around in the back of my Nitro. Firefighters just threw the meat out in the middle of the road, because they had to open my back hatch, cut out my windshield and take me out the back hatch on a back board. Some Christmas.....so with all of those incidents and my overall lack of gracefulness I see my chiropractor and his massage therapist at least once a month! All of that being said.....I REALLY need this cleaner, vinegar smell & all. Thanks!! :icon_wave:

Here you go!
Asher's Acres: Awesome Cleaner or Stinky Mess? - Tub Cleaner (http://www.iowadiygirl.com/2012/07/awesome-cleaner-or-stinky-mess-tub.html)

Terri
August 28th, 2013, 04:06 PM
I have cinnamon buns sticking out on my thighs - still hanging on from years ago. Not a sweet tooth, but if I were to pick a 'treat' for breakfast it would be glazed raised donuts. YUM.

Love cinnamon buns! :D Ever had HOT Krispy Kreme donuts?!?!?!? Those things literally melt in your mouth and you can eat half a dozen before you know it!! That's why I stay away from them. :icon_tape:

Blondie
August 28th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Love cinnamon buns! :D Ever had HOT Krispy Kreme donuts?!?!?!? Those things literally melt in your mouth and you can eat half a dozen before you know it!! That's why I stay away from them. :icon_tape:

Terri, that is the ONLY way I will let a KK pass my lips - HOT and fresh. My Daddy and I had a running conversation about doughnuts. I inherited his sweet tooth. He loved KK's and I prefer Dunkin's. Even day old the Dunkin's are still edible. Daddy said the Dunkin's were too doughy. Oh yeah, Poppa, that's why they are called DOUGHnuts. lol. The other day in the city with Mom, we took a sentimental drive to the KK where they are made fresh all day long. Doughnuts with a good strong cuppa coffee - We toasted Daddy that morning.

And I hear you on the vinegar. However I use it in a lot of my cleaning; always have as my Granny taught me to clean windows with it, wipe down stinky things with it. Interesting stuff. I also find it fascinating all the home made cleaners out there on the web. Most of it I reckon I am old enough to have known and used for years. It is good to have them for reminders and at the ready when I need to look up something.

Hugs to you, Terri. And some smiles too. Sounds like we share our gracefulness with others on this delightful group.

quiltingtrish
August 28th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Hello all - happy Wednesday~
Thanks for the receipe Blondie. We have hard water too with lots of iron and I've been using SOS pads to scrub down the tubs and toilets. Works like a charm, BUT, it is lots of scrubbing. I seem to be the only one who squeegees the walls and that helps too. I have been having shoulder issues too so I am going to try your receipe the next time.
How wonderful for those relatives who seem right at home no matter what our home looks like. IF I do get a chance to pop in, it certainly would not be to stay. And you would know I am coming cause I don't have a GPS. I do have Google though - haha, so I could probably surprise you. Still no word on Katie leaving earlier than Oct. 21st yet so coming through in January sometime is iffy at this point. And there is that weather problem in winter. I have to get to S. Carolina and back without any icky stuff in the middle.
I know your procedure is over Sandy but I've got you in my prayers anyway. I hope you came through it ok.
Finally got some rain here, hope it rains some more. Everything is so dry. It seems to keep missing us.
The first few days of school have been busy and we have lots of kiddos this year that need extra help (21 in just the one class) - it would be nice though if they got my schedule down right. The principal didn't know where to put me and another aide so he just put TBA. We have more than 1 teacher telling us where to go and when and then get upset if we go somewhere that someone else has told us to go to. So I think tomorrow we need to go in and get a fixed schedule so everyone knows where we are and what we are doing.
OH! and book covers! Did anyone make it to 7th grade and not know how to put a paper book cover on a book? Too bad I can't charge for doing that job because I think I've covered about 50 books in the past 2 days. We know they won't do it at home - take a book home? Well, that's just like asking them to make a trip to the moon overnight. And they need covered by Friday - no time in their school day to do it, so they get piled up on our desks and we do it for them. I think someone is missing a point there.
I suppose I should get moving along here. I tried to do some sewing last night and the bobbin kept giving me fits. Think I'll go give it another stab.
Have a great evening everyone.
Hugs,

MayinJerset
August 28th, 2013, 08:31 PM
KK's seemed to have disappeared in our area. Few years ago there were some KK shops and when they closed some supermarkets carried KK stuff, but not the hot from the pan ones that most people love. Guess we don't have as big a sweet tooth up north as the gals in the south and west. I'm not too happy with DD either, they got smaller and have an oily taste, maybe the guy in the area isn't changing his oil as often as he should. I really shouldn't be eating any of those doughnuts but I do. I prefer the cake type, so nice for eating and dunking.