PDA

View Full Version : Gardner question

Hulamoon
August 27th, 2013, 04:19 PM
This is really just to find out what is a fair price to pay someone to mow by the hour. I think I'm being over charged. Is $40 an hour really it these days? I worked my butt off in kitchens for $16. Sitting on a lawn mower for forty sounds a little high.

pcbatiks
August 27th, 2013, 04:24 PM
That may not be high (compared to what others charge).......I've heard of some that charge almost twice that amount.

Sandy Navas
August 27th, 2013, 04:37 PM
I'd find a cute young teen-age boy who needs a bit of cash for a date now and then - I'm sure you could get a good deal then.

I had almost six acres professionally mowed several years ago and was charged $240 . . . so I guess that's the going rate around here (although it may have gone up). At that time I thought it was outrageous.

JCY
August 27th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Most lawn services charge by job & the size of your yard. For the first time ever, I'm using a mowing service this summer for our large yard. We pay $40./week. It takes 2 guys 30-40 min. to mow & edge our yard. It's a reasonable price. This frees me up to do the flower bed weeding, etc. I'm caregiver for my disabled husb., I just could not do it all this year. JCY

amsweeny
August 27th, 2013, 04:54 PM
My mother pays $65 for a average size yard. Take the 1 man a little over an hour. Normally jobs are priced by the yard not by the hour. Makes the gardener work faster and more efficiant.

Jean Sewing Machine
August 27th, 2013, 04:56 PM
I have a postage stamp yard and pay $35 per week to get it cut, trimmed and cleaned up. They do it in about 20 minutes. For me, it is worth every penny because I hate yardwork, but like a nice looking lawn.

Hulamoon
August 27th, 2013, 05:04 PM
This guy want's to charge by the job too, but only come two times a month for $200 just for the lawn. Maybe 1 1/2 hrs each time.I have a mower but it's darn hot.

Jernmegmom
August 27th, 2013, 05:10 PM
My house sits on a little less than an acre and we pay $60

K. McEuen
August 27th, 2013, 06:04 PM
This guy want's to charge by the job too, but only come two times a month for $200 just for the lawn. Maybe 1 1/2 hrs each time.I have a mower but it's darn hot.

You need to realize that you live in Hawaii and the going rate there is going to be a lot different than elsewhere. My sister pays the kid down the street $20.00 to mow her yard, it's not that big though.

I think your best bet would to be to find another landscaping company that gives free estimates and get a price from them.

MayinJerset
August 27th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Price really depends upon where you live. When DH couldn't do the mowing any longer we got a local landscaper to do it for about $100 per month. They come with a crew and cut several lawns on our block, mower, trimmer, weed whacker, etc. and are done in no time. Have to say our front lawn never looked nicer or neater.

Sorry to say if you think you'd find a cute young teen-age boy who needs a bit of cash for a date now and then - then think again because in recent years I have yet to see a teen ager cutting the grass anywhere in town.

Lisapc
August 27th, 2013, 07:18 PM
I agree it depends on where you are. I have a few acres and 2 of it is lawn, minus the garden and when my hubby was sick I got 2 estimates for mowing and edging and they wanted $125 every other week. I was told that was the going rate by a few people. I elected to pay my SIL $40 to do it instead on our rider.

bubba
August 27th, 2013, 10:34 PM
We pay $40 for our entire yard and it takes him about an hour. He also edges and weed eats it.

Miss Sheri
August 28th, 2013, 01:32 AM
Ok, so I'm the mom of some of those cute teenaged boys who have there own lawn service. We taught every single one of our kids (daughter included) how to mow,edge,and trim as well as people skills. Best investment we ever made in our kids. They still charge between 25-35 per lawn depending on size.

Mchelem
August 28th, 2013, 03:40 AM
Ok, so I'm the mom of some of those cute teenaged boys who have there own lawn service. We taught every single one of our kids (daughter included) how to mow,edge,and trim as well as people skills. Best investment we ever made in our kids. They still charge between 25-35 per lawn depending on size.

I agree. My son is 17, and mows neighborhood lawns. We have small yards and he charges $35 for front, back, weed eating and edging. Takes him about an hour and a half. He uses our mower (except for one guy who told him something about weed seeds spreading from lawn to lawn) and he carries his gas can and fills the mower up when done.

MayinJerset
August 28th, 2013, 10:23 AM

Good for you Miss Sheri, you instilled good work habits in your children. So many kids aren't even asked to take out the garbage!

Our boys always cut our lawns since they were about 12, DH took over when they left after college. One even had a lawn cutting business while in college. Was so surprised one day to receive several calls for Bob's Lawn Service, guess he forgot to tell us he was starting the service and had put an ad in local paper. Also forgot to tell us he needed to use our mower, rakes, etc. not that we minded. He did a good business for a few years but stopped when we worked summers as a life guard down at The Shore. Regular hours and pay and, of course, lots of cute girls to hand out around his stand.

MayinJerset
August 28th, 2013, 10:31 AM
I agree. My son is 17, and mows neighborhood lawns. We have small yards and he charges $35 for front, back, weed eating and edging. Takes him about an hour and a half. He uses our mower (except for one guy who told him something about weed seeds spreading from lawn to lawn) and he carries his gas can and fills the mower up when done.

Good for him, and you too for steering him in the right direction.

PeggyM
August 28th, 2013, 10:44 AM
I pay $40 for a smallish yard, but it's complicated by strangely placed flower beds and 100-year-old tree roots. Tony can mow, weed wack and blow the clippings in 30 minutes. I think it's money well spent because I always wind up pulling a muscle pushing the mower or pulling the starter rope thingy.

Bubby
August 28th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Lorie, Around hear mowers work by the job rather than by the hour. Can you ask for a set price for the job, so you will always know what you will have to pay? Then if there are extra tasks involved you can pay extra by the hour.

Hulamoon
August 28th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Lorie, Around hear mowers work by the job rather than by the hour. Can you ask for a set price for the job, so you will always know what you will have to pay? Then if there are extra tasks involved you can pay extra by the hour.

Yeah, this is a lot to think about. I had a young guy came, actually a brother of one of my dd's friends, said sure$40. But he came with a walking mower. He said this is too big for me. Lost him.

There is so many start ups, It's hard to find the right match.