View Full Version : Update on my son's liver transplant status

August 27th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Hi, I wanted to post an update on my son's liver transplant status...there have been some messages to me about him...he went to Cleveland Clinic 6 weeks ago and stayed for 5 days to be tested and placed on their transplant list...so now he is on both lists---there and here in Pittsburgh...my son-in-law was tested around the same time and is a match to donate..my son Bruce had been hesitant to have Andrew do this for him because they have 4 small children...but the doctors at both facilities advised him to consider it, before another health problem may occur....he is seriously considering it now, but his thyroid levels are extremely high...he is not responding to the medication adjustments...we are praying that the thyroid problem will be resolved and that the transplant can take place soon...thanks again for all your prayers and well wishes...

August 27th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the update, Carol. I will continue to pray for your son and your family. Hugs, Barb

August 27th, 2013, 12:15 PM
More prayers for your DS & SIL.

August 27th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Still in my prayers.

August 27th, 2013, 12:32 PM
I will pray for your son.

"High" thyroid can mean different things. If it's a high TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone), that means his body does not make enough thyroid. Doctors tend toward synthetic thyroid, but many people do not respond well to that. You'll have to fight, but try to get Natural Dessicated Thyroid. Doctors scoff, but it really is better than the synthetic stuff because it has all four types of thyroid molecules.

If, instead, "high" thyroid means high T4 and/or T3, an over the counter supplement called L-Carnitine is known to help lower those thyroid levels. I'veheard that Beta Blockers do, too.

The TSH test is the most common test for thyroid, so ask the doctors whether your son is hypo- (low) or hyper- (high) thyroid.

May God watch over you and your family.

August 27th, 2013, 12:54 PM

Prayers for Bruce and kudos for Andrew willing to do this for him. Really all of you will be in my prayers and I hope that his thyroid get stable soon.

Huggers, Ruby and Don

August 27th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Carol........thanks for the update..........will continue praying for your son and SIL and you.

August 27th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Praying for your son, SIL, and your family.

K. McEuen
August 27th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Oh, hopefully he will let Andrew donate a lobe of his liver. Within 6 to 8 weeks the liver will regenerate itself. That will be so much better for your son than waiting on a donor. The drugs they have to keep them on while their liver is bad can take a toll on his body. My brother in law had a heck of a time while he was waiting. Prayers that he can get the surgery sooner rather than later and get on with his life. It really makes a world of difference for them.

August 27th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Keeping family in prayer!

August 27th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Adding my prayers. Not only are many praying for him but some good advice has been given and worth finding out if they work for your DS.

Sandy Navas
August 27th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Definitely have him on my prayer list, Carol. Hopefully the thyroid will soon be controlled and they can move forward with the surgery.

August 27th, 2013, 04:18 PM
prayers and (((HUGS)))

August 27th, 2013, 04:53 PM
They are both still on my list Carol. I hope they get his thyroid under control and he has this done soon.


August 27th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Thank you all for your prayers and the good advice...I will pass it on to him...

August 27th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Thank you for sharing that update and he is still in my prayers.

August 27th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Keeping all of you in my prayers. Thanks for the update