PDA

View Full Version : Continuing Snake Saga

cindyinohio
August 24th, 2013, 03:47 PM
I posted a few weeks ago about snake skin in sunroom....Well, this morning my husband comes in from garage that he's cleaning wanting my "gripper thing". After a few seconds I realize he's talking about my reaching device (I'm only 5'2" so I need help with top shelves).Upon further investigation I find out he found "small" black snake in garage. Well, I'm in the middle of coloring my hair, but I go out to help (he hates snakes and I don't want him to have a heart attack!). I get a hold (sorta) of this "small" snake to discover it's about 4-5' long! It's slipping out of my "gripper" so I'm screaming at him to get a shovel of something before it gets in side the wall. He gets there..snake meets demise.
Now to all animal lovers who think I should have just moved it....I think the possibility of this thing crawling across my legs in the car on some highway necessitated lethal response!!! :icon_scared:

bubba
August 24th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Oh hell no!!! That calls for a fire department response!!! First to resuccitate me and then a return trip to put out the fire as my house is burning down! :icon_mooooh:

Lisapc
August 24th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Oh Dear. I am glad you got him. You and Blondie have some real snake trouble. I hope no others come around!

HdWench
August 24th, 2013, 03:57 PM
OMG I love animals but not spiders and snakes!!! Let's make up a rule, if it doesn't belong in the house or garage it's ok to take lethal action :-) eww Must be all the rain in Ohio that got them trying to come in, creepy!! But then in Arizona during the monsoons we have the scorpions trying to get in - yeah, those I take lethal action against too! Ok spiders, snakes, scorpions... ? Anything else we can all ok? :D

Lilly
August 24th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Are these snakes poisonous? I grew up with garter snakes and maybe a snake called a bull snake or something - very rare- none poisonous. We have a few rattlers in southern Mn in the bluffs only but only climbers need to watch for them sunning on the rocks. I'm very nonchalant about snakes - pick them up with a stick and hurl them away. I don't think I would be so careless if they were poisonous though. Then I'd be with my maker I'd be so afraid. There are benefits to living in the frozen northland :)

Bubby
August 24th, 2013, 04:14 PM
IMO, the only good snake is a dead snake. And I say this because I have to deal with my share of snakes....most recently a copperhead taking a sunbath just outside our front door! If a black snake is in the yard heading for the woods I let him go. Last week I reached under the leaves on a zucchini plant and almost pulled up a snake instead of a squash! Talk about almost having a heart attack!!

I'm glad your snake adventure has come to an end.

bhaggerty
August 24th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Well where we live in Texas, we have snakes galore. We are also home to the 4 species of venomous snakes that inhabit the USA - copperheads, water moccasin/cotton mouths, coral snakes and diamond back rattlesnakes. All of which could kill a child, person, pet, etc. We do not take chances here! We have had copperheads on our for porch, driveway and garage on multiple occasions! Actually, we have had every one of those in our yard! Mostly copperheads though. We had a nest of them and we killed 10 in one weekend-the nest was 10 feet from out front door in a flower bed next to the sidewalk leading from the garage to our front door! Will have to post a pic of the one that "tipped us off"- he was eating a lizard and a delivery man thought he was dad and just stepped over it! Took a great pic of him just before DH got him with a shovel!

Bailey65
August 24th, 2013, 04:26 PM
IMO, the only good snake is a dead snake. And I say this because I have to deal with my share of snakes....most recently a copperhead taking a sunbath just outside our front door! If a black snake is in the yard heading for the woods I let him go. Last week I reached under the leaves on a zucchini plant and almost pulled up a snake instead of a squash! Talk about almost having a heart attack!!

I'm glad your snake adventure has come to an end.

Totally agree! I love animals but snakes are where I draw the line

DCM
August 24th, 2013, 04:37 PM
My husband recently showed me a 6 ft. Snake skin in our back yard. We never did find the snake that left it there. We were looking at houses years ago and were in the front yard with the realtor when I felt something on my foot. A small snake was slithering over my shoe. Needless to say we did not look at that house!

Andrea F
August 24th, 2013, 05:16 PM
I am so happy that we don´t have any snakes or anything around here. If one of them came across my way it wouldn´t have survived either. And most likely I would move somewhere else. *Shiver*

Hulamoon
August 24th, 2013, 05:32 PM
We don't have snakes here. But when I lived on the mainland I used to catch the garter type, so I'm not totally afraid of all snakes. I have come across rattle snakes, but you get a little warning with those. A friend and I were hiking and a tarantula chased us. It sounds funny that a spider would chase someone but we were running. lol

bhaggerty
August 24th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Actually, copperheads will come after you. One followed my DH into the garage - he was running in there to get the shovel and that darn snake came right in after him! That snake didn 't win that war either !

Miss Sheri
August 24th, 2013, 05:40 PM
I think we can add RATS to the lethal list! I don't mind the non poisonous snakes, because they help keep the vermin away. My DH is allergic to fur, so no nice mouser kitties for me.

MRoy
August 24th, 2013, 05:40 PM
I think the possibility of this thing crawling across my legs in the car on some highway necessitated lethal response!!! :icon_scared:

Absolutely! I couldn't agree more since I'm terrified of snakes!!

auntiemern
August 24th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Glad my DH is a pretty good snake wrangler. If non poisonous, he just picks them up, and takes them out to the woods. We had one on the carport not to long ago. And I saw an enormous black snake going through the yard of the house across the street. The lawn was mowed and I could see it going through the grass. It was HUGE.
Bernadette, there are actually several species of rattlers in the US. I think MO has timber rattlers.

Joan@DebtofGratitude
August 24th, 2013, 06:22 PM
I have the best snake story. We keep a frig in the garage for pop. One night my son went out there and didn't realize a snake had wrapped itself around the doorknob on the door from the house to the garage. Since he didn't notice, he apparently slammed a part of the snake in the door. After grabbing his Coke and coming back to the door to go inside, he got quite a fright seeing the snake and realizing it had been right there just a moment ago as he went through the door! He hates snakes and was so freaked out he ran outside and rang the front doorbell to get in the house. Fortunately, my hubby dispatched the squished snake for us. Still, my son and I are very careful every time we go to the garage now. Yuk!

easyquilts
August 24th, 2013, 06:26 PM
AMEN! I give you LOTS of credit for "helping".... I have a true phobia rel snakes... The only wy I would have helped if be of my grandsons was in danger.... Yuck!

pcbatiks
August 24th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Good Snake = Dead Snake!

easyquilts
August 24th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Bubbly.... I totally agree with you... Totally. Your experience in the garden is exactly I don't have a garden.... My fear is inclusive.... Poisionous, non- poisonous... Makes no difference to me...at all...

My phobia keeps me from doing fun things such as hiking, gardening, walking in the woods, walking on roads flanked by weeds... Camping... It's bad.... And I will NOT do immersion therapy to desensitize my self... No way.

Sandy

easyquilts
August 24th, 2013, 06:40 PM
No pics please.... I can't even tolerate pictures.,,

I could never live in Texas.... We spent 18 months in Florida, and I was careful not to look, though I was afraid most of the time. My husband, OTOH, ran into five rattlers... Dear God.... I would have died...literally.

Sandy

bhaggerty
August 24th, 2013, 06:40 PM
There are many kinds of rattlesnakes in the US.
In Ohio we has the Timber rattlers, venomous but hardly deadly.
The absolute worst ones are in AZ, NM & CA !
Where they also have deadly scorpions.
The scorpions here in TX are pests! They hurt for a few days but can't kill you!

When my kids were younger, one came in crying that his big brother wouldn't let him play with the "shrimp" they found in the bushes! Hahahaha!!

My college degree was a bachelor of science in vertebrate zoology. Love to study snakes and all animals with backbones! My kids think it is cool. They always ask me if it is ok to try to catch things in our yard or at the lake (snakes, frogs, lizards, turtles ( we have box, pancake & snappers) or not!)

MRoy
August 24th, 2013, 07:14 PM
No pics please.... I can't even tolerate pictures.,,

Sandy, I know how you feel. If I see snakes in pictures or movies, I dream about them.

Monique
August 24th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Good Snake = Dead Snake!

I am with you Pam. No snakes, rats, or mice.

phoots
August 24th, 2013, 11:45 PM
My Dad lives in a small town in Arizona. A short time ago, he realized that his cats were being really quiet so he checked on them. The two of them were in front of his sliding glass door and on the other side was a rattle snake! He freaked and called 911. It took awhile but an officer finally arrived. The officer took a snake hook and a bucket over to the snake, scooped it up and put it in the bucket and put the lid on, like it was no big deal. The officer told my Dad that they do not kill the snakes, they relocate them outside of town. My Dad is hoping very far out of town. My Dad told me that the snake was at least 5' long. My Dad and his cats are fine. Dad is a little more careful outside.

Pam in Vegas

nyscpa2be
August 25th, 2013, 01:00 AM
One of the first posts mentioned spiders along with snakes. I had a giant water spider (probably 2") crawl on my leg this morning while I was in bed. I ran out of my room screaming, woke mom up. I was then in the shower when she went in to see the snake. She grabbed a tissue, and thought she killed it, but then it crawled out of the tissue. She screamed too. I had to be at the fair then go to church today, so I asked her to wash all of my sheets and blankets for me. I hate spiders almost as much as snakes.

Musical_Starling
August 25th, 2013, 03:44 AM
Every time I read a post like this I'm VERY thankful that we don't have snakes here! We have lots of moose though, we could spare a few if anybody wants one!

I am an animal lover, but here's my view on pests: As long as they remain OUTSIDE my house, then they are allowed to live. But the minute they invade my space, they're in deep trouble. Thankfully with two cats the only thing that's even dumb enough to come inside are flies, moths, and spiders and they usually don't live long because the girls have a good appetite for them :icon_giggle: But outside my house? It's bug-central! And as long as they are OUT, then I'm okay with that lol

Divine Daisy
August 25th, 2013, 07:21 AM
I don't 'do' snakes

I don't 'do' windows either mind you

cindyinohio
August 25th, 2013, 02:30 PM
[QUOTE=nyscpa2be;369520]One of the first posts mentioned spiders along with snakes.

Snakes...I don't like. Spiders... my true phobia. I totally freak out at ANY spider. I use to have a big flower bed and when I'd clean it out in the fall, I would run into this big garden spiders. I would scream and yell at my son to kill them. He's get aggravated at being yelled for every few minutes. One year all I found were half eaten spiders...then I found the Preying Mantis'...needless to say..I LOVE PREYING MANTIS!!!!

MartinaG
August 25th, 2013, 03:31 PM
We have garter snakes and gopher snakes and they are welcome since gophers seem to like DH's garden just a bit too much. One time one of our cats investigated a smallish snake. It wrapped itself around the cat's belly. Funniest thing ever watching that cat try to get the snake off. DH had to untangle both of them. We are lucky in that we don't have rattlers in the valley. But we do have black widow spiders and wolf spiders and both of those give me the heebie-jeebies. A widow once bit DH and he almost landed in the hospital. Wolf spiders are harmless but they look so menacing. We try to put them back outside should they stray inside the house. ...and DH wonders why I spend my time indoors. lol

HdWench
August 25th, 2013, 06:02 PM
When we lived in Dallas we had a 911 because this HUGE snake was up in a pine tree but still hanging over the driveway - With kids in car and DH gone, they came and said it was a chicken snake! I said yes, it's a snake and I'm a chicken!! This was 8' long ewww

When I lived in the barracks in Ft. Leonardwood I was bitten by a brown recluse. Those bites are horrible and was glad to catch the doc quick. I check my bed nightly and moved out of the barracks very soon after LOL!

In Arizona with rattlers they sayd they travel in pairs so if you see/kill one, there is another probably nearby!!! Yeah and we've black widows too, but without much humidity NO brown recluse.

Scorpions, my cats circle them (I've heard cats are immune to their bites???)... with 4 cats when they get quiet I go looking - On tan carpet with hard shoe in hand.

Agree whatever is Outside can live happy, but come IN my house, if the cats don't get you I will! hehe

Not often they will get a baby pack rat in the garage and bring it in the house for Fun! Poor thing dies from shock of 4-6 cats trying to "Play" with them. Mine don't eat many bugs, but a moth is fair game and a pat rat is just a toy to chase. I almost feel sorry for them, hmm not really!

lorimac
August 25th, 2013, 08:47 PM
I used to work for a man who was a true champion of animals and the environment. He was entertaining guests one evening and they took a walk around his property. He grabbed a trash bag on his way out the door, and discovered a large black snake on the lid of the trash receptacle. Since his guests were "city folks", he began lecturing them on the benefits of having black snakes while carrying it out into the pasture on the handle of a shovel. He was still lecturing when he returned to the receptacle, opened the lid, only to have another black snake strike at him! Well, apparently he was caught quite off guard as he proceeded to beat the second snake to death with the shovel in his hand. His guests got a good laugh at his expense!

New York Sue
August 25th, 2013, 08:59 PM
NO, NO, NO!
I couldn't read all your posts, because I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight.
If I found a snakeskin of ANY sort in my home, I'd have to leave. I know it's unreasonable. I am very rational person, otherwise....
Snakes just BUG ME OUT!
NO, NO, NO!

SallyO'Sews
August 27th, 2013, 12:57 PM
The Dreadful Duo: Reptiles and Rodents ... They may live, but not on my property. And yes, that includes Tree Rats, aka those stupid squirrels that raid my bird feeder. I was having great success with safflower seeds - the birdies love 'em but the squirrels don't - and then my local supplier quit carrying them. Gotta' find a garden center, I think... or a gun shop! :icon_heh:

WendyI
August 27th, 2013, 01:34 PM
I love snakes so this does make me sad...but I suppose you can't have that in your house. Sure does keep the rodent population down..hopefully you don't end up now with mice and rats!