PDA

View Full Version : Found a butternut squash!

Swedish leo
August 24th, 2013, 05:19 AM
Hi

I found this bread recipe and I found a Butternut squash/Pumkin to go with.

My question is, In the recipe they say to grate the pumpkin and use it raw in the batter/Dough.
Should I not roast it firs in the owen ?

I have some sourdough starter that I am using in this recipe and I am eager to go .

Grateful for any tips or pointers regardin how to use the pumpkin in the bread.

Annika

:icon_wave:

Hulamoon
August 24th, 2013, 05:26 AM
I was a baker for many years. When you grate something like carrots, zucchini etc it's so small that it sort of steams if that makes sense. If you cook it first it becomes a cream that would be more for like a pumpkin pie or a custard base. I hope that wasn't confusing.

I reread your post and yes you can cook it first and make a pumpkin bread like it came out of a can. I was thinking I have only grated carrots and zucchini so I got confused. lol I saw a different recipie for what you are doing I'll see if I can find it :)

Swedish leo
August 24th, 2013, 05:39 AM
I was a baker for many years. When you grate something like carrots, zucchini etc it's so small that it sort of steams if that makes sense. If you cook it first it becomes a cream that would be more for like a pumpkin pie or a custard base. I hope that wasn't confusing.

I reread your post and yes you can cook it first and make a pumpkin bread like it came out of a can. I was thinking I have only grated carrots and zucchini so I got confused. lol I saw a different recipie for what you are doing I'll see if I can find it :)

So basicly I can do either way ?

Hulamoon
August 24th, 2013, 05:39 AM
Here is one, and it's cooked.
Butternut Squash Bread Recipe, How To Make Butternut Squash Bread, Quick Bread Recipes, Squash Recipes, Bread Recipes (http://whatscookingamerica.net/Bread/ButternutSquashBread.htm)

Hulamoon
August 24th, 2013, 05:44 AM
So basicly I can do either way ?

That's a good question. I have grated only the carrots for cake, zucchini, apples for bread. It might be a texture thing. Now I want to try it!

Is there any other bakers here?

edit.. I think I'm stuck on this subject. lol Carrots are just as hard as pumpkins so I do think it would work.

bubba
August 24th, 2013, 11:07 AM
I'd either grate it or cook it. When I made a pumpkin pie from scratch (from a white pumpkin), we boiled it first so it would be easier to work with and it turned out fine. Probably the best pie I've ever made!