PDA

View Full Version : Hurray for Fridays!

Blondie
August 23rd, 2013, 07:03 AM

Happy Friday Folksies!

I think for the first time in my life I have been enjoying the month of August. Normally, it is my least favorite month. It is always the hottest month and I don't tolerate heat very well. When I stopped homeschooling, I would cry like a baby for the kids going back to school. In my way of thinking the only good thing about August was that Fall was coming.
This month has been different. Of course, this whole YEAR has been different, weather wise. We've had it wetter and cooler and that is fine with me. We didn't have too much to brag about in our veggie patch this summer, so that meant I didn't have to stand in intense heat canning/freezing. I still have canned tomatoes from last year, as well as some snaps, etc. So, YAY for it being not only a Friday but for a different type of August for me. Oh hold the presses! I just realized the other reason this August has been different for me. I am in a happier work environment. And it is the 5th week that I won't be doing that horrid woman's hair! Oh yes! Now that makes me want to DANCE

http://vimeo.com/57445025
Since we've been watch the night skies recently - meteor showers last week, blue moon this week, next week on the 27th which is Tuesday, Mars and Moon are aligned to make it look like a double moon. This is another reason I think this August has been special for me. Sitting on my deck, nice temps, light sensations in the sky, chilling with my Sis and middle son.

Have a wonderful weekend folksies! I know I will!

Blessings, prayers hugs to all. And . . . . if you need a smile, here's one of mine. Aww, doesn't that look good on you! Go ahead and keep it; I have more smiles where that one came from.

Bubby
August 23rd, 2013, 07:56 AM
Good Morning,

Blondie, your video made me get up and dance! I love PSY and his music. I don't understand a word of it but I love the energy.

Jeff decided to not take today off, so I'll have a little time to sew today. The Girls will keep me company. I have to make a trip to WalMart first.

For the first time since June 27th I'm not in extreme pain from my teeth!! I think I can make it through the day will OTC Tylenol! Of course I go back to the dentist Tuesday and this will begin again on the other side of my mouth, but I'm praying it will go better from here on out.

I'm being poked by hungry Scotties so I'll have to check in later. Wishing everyone a great Friday!

Hugs.....

Monique
August 23rd, 2013, 08:40 AM
Good morning. Yes another Friday. We had showers yesterday and now it is a cooler day today. I did not much of anything yesterday. I did decorate a horse shoe for the fair. I think I need to make a few more things.

Next weekend is the fair and Phil, Jodi and Maizyn are coming for the weekend.

Not much on for today. So on that note, y'all have a wonderful day.

Shirley
August 23rd, 2013, 08:49 AM
So glad you are having a happy August!!

MRoy
August 23rd, 2013, 08:51 AM
Good morning! We've got fog again and it's getting hotter every day. I'd hoped to go to the state fair tomorrow, but that's up in the air now. It's almost impossible to plan anything around here. Blondie, have a great day. I can tell you're enjoying yourself now. Barb, I'm glad you're feeling better. I hope the next round of dental work won't be so painful.

Wishing everyone a happy Friday as I go watch the new binding tutorial.

MayinJerset
August 23rd, 2013, 08:56 AM
Nice out this morning but yesterday was hot and humid and we even had a heavy rainstorm in the afternoon. Grandkids are going home tomorrow so I'll be checking out the rooms for their things, they always call when home to say "Did you see my.......whatever?" Back to getting up early and ready for school, in their cases high school and middle school. Another granddaughter must have left for college already, hoped she would visit before she left. We asked her to call us when she is settled in as we like to plan a visit to her at school when she isn't too busy. We have always done that with all of the grandgirls when they were at college in Ohio, Virginia and Kentucky. Her school is nearby in PA and maybe I can combine it with the retreat I plan to attend mid Sept.

We all have been enjoying the new leather sectional. Very comfy seat and back and seating is a great height for me as I have no problem getting up from the couch. Looks really nice too. This weekend I'll be at Joann's going through their 50% off decorating fabrics, looking for a nice print for the throw cushions, window valances and table covering. May not make the valances and I'm really liking the look of the new cellular shades that match the wall color, so soft yet crisp a look.

Hope everyone like Blondie is enjoying these last days of August, May

Lisapc
August 23rd, 2013, 09:01 AM
Blondie: My garden is feeling like a bust. With the horrible weather last May/June and the deer I have precious little to preserve. My tomatoes had to be replaced and they are just starting to ripen. That doesn't include the cherry tomato plants of course. My green beans are feeding us but nothing to can. There is always next year.

Bubby: I am so happy for you. The relief you must be feeling. I am praying for you for next week.

I went to the LQS last evening and there have been changes that tell me things are not well. No more weekly 25% off coupon, you get a whole fat quarter instead. No more specials on lines at all. The owner is hardly ever there and the place is a complete disaster. It is always a bit of a mess but not like I saw it last night. Weird. The owner is out doing shows as an HQ dealer and not doing too well at that. I really hope she starts to focus on her shop again soon. I snuck to Joann's after that and used a coupon to buy a still wrapped bolt of Kona white. I remembered while I was out that the truck usually comes on Thursdays so I took a chance and it paid off. For some reason I have a hard time buying white fabric anywhere (but here) that isn't stained or dirty some how. I now have 8 yards. Happy me!

Have a wonderful day and prayers to all.

Beakkmom
August 23rd, 2013, 09:05 AM
Blondie, loved the video ~ it put a smile on my face. Friday already, wow the summer has zoomed past.

As autumn arrives, I feel a bit nostalgic for the days of homeschooling our children.....it was such fun!

Jean Sewing Machine
August 23rd, 2013, 09:40 AM
Hi everyone! We're in the dog days of summer, lingering heat with a hint of fall. I took my grandson to his first soccer game last night, a sure sign fall is upon us. Last year his team did very well, he won two first place trophies and a second place medal ( after several very very close matches!). Hope they do well this year.

I finished up my pumpkin placemat that I started at the Patrick Lose seminar at thr Iowa State Fair. Had troubles FMQing on one machine, the older machine did great, but I didn't! The machine is too high and doesn't have an extension table. I got it done but not that great. That is why I love the long arm! He showed us a method to make yards of bias binding from a square of fabric. I hadn't done that in years, and it worked out just great! Great review!

Going to help my friend buy a new sewing machine today, we're going to get a Brother, I think. And get to see my great granddaughter tonight, she's going to stay overnight. I haven't seen her in months.

Have a great day!

CountryHut
August 23rd, 2013, 09:45 AM
Good Morning one and all :)

well, I haven't really checked in lately - maybe a post here and there - as I had been feeling really down and out since about mid July
so this might be a bit long . .

- 1st a long time friend was diagnosed with small cell Lung Cancer - as of last evening the CT scan showed that the cancer has been reduced by 50% -- which is good news - however, though I continue to keep my Bud in my prayer - after seeing what my MIL went through - I believe it's all in the Lord's hands . . boy did I do some praying ask the Lord to give me the strength to help take care of her . . I mean with being just the daughter in law -- no matter what I said, I felt like my words were never the right ones . . *ugh*~
I didn't want to over step any lines - if you know what I mean . .

then the brake/calipers had to be repair on my van . . sat in the van for almost 2 hours waiting on a tow truck --
$675.00 later . . no sooner we pay the bill and head out the door
the hubby says . . follow me -- off we went. . . really -- it was less than 5 miles down the road . . . the new brakes and calipers were working great -- really better than before . . L*~ -- but here we are -- right down the street into another car dealers lot . .
here the hubby already signed sealed and delivered a brand new car . . a 2014 Kia Serento sx with only 12 miles on the pretty thing . . really nice car . . I'm still finding all the gadgets . . . only draw back so far . . I can't fit 1/4 of what I had stashed in the van in this car . . LOL*~

my car looks just like the one in the picture :)

for some reason or another -- the hubby --hated my van . . . . me . . I loved my van . .
I could pack a parade in that baby and still had room for more and it was paid for -- my van was a fabric hoaders dream house . . LOL*~ . . AND I still had room for 3 peeps to ride with me . .

with all the other little things happening in life -- there is nothing in this world that can compare to what lies ahead

my world is going to be filled with many questions and concerns - ups and downs - not to mention knots in the throat and tears rolling down my cheeks - I pray to be the strongest person than I had ever been in the pass . .

our journey begins with -- the mind running in a thousand different directions -- and -
FINALLY a family Doctor that seems to care about the hubby health . . and after badgering him for a very VERY long time
*the bullheaded german*~ -- he's FINALLY going to see array of Doctors for his skin cancer -
I would make him appts - and he would never keep them -- his new Dr - asked him last week if he made the referral appts yet - nope he had not . . so she made them for him . . . *dang what kind of magic did she use*~ . . .

starting next week - his plate is full -- cardiologist - (for being on BP meds for more than 15 years) - - hematologist (both white and red blood cells are out of wack) -- -- then the dermatologists for the several areas of skin cancer
-- the hubby thinks the skin cancer is -- basal cell carcinoma -- I say NO . . I think it's either - merkel cell carcinoma or Squamous Cell Carcinoma . . if it is Merkel Cell . .

*taking a deep breath*~ I don't know if I feel better for typing all of this out and sharing -
or if I am still feeling a bit lost -
hubby don't have any family left - they are all gone with the exception of one Uncle - Uncle Oz is way up in years and barely can take care of himself -- my family don't really care - they just want to know who gets what when we are both gone . . *ugh*~
they all treat me poorly - until they want or need something - I think it's because my hubby has allowed me to be a SAHW - we have a life that they wished they had - they think we are rich - - sure we are rich . . rich in our hearts - not in the pocketbook . .
Thank goodness the hubby thought of our future and our well being - where as they live day to day
to put it another way -- the hubby has enough time on the books for sick leave and vacation - to carry a paycheck for the next 8 months

ok . . I need to stop - beside, I have a Granddaughter that is Sweet Sixteen today and I have to finish making the decoration
I have to keep this stuff off my mind until the reality of it all really sets in . . .

Thanks much ya'll for virtually listening/reading

OKAY . . so who has the joke of the day . L*~

Madeforyouinma11
August 23rd, 2013, 09:59 AM
Morning all! Well yesterday was my 4th Anniversary. We got to see Julia for awhile which was really nice. I missed her. They left Friday to go to New Hampshire for a few days so I was missing my little girl. Then last night I cooked a big dinner for hubby and I. It's kind of a tradition. We have steak and lobster. Last night I added a couple of king crab legs to the mix too! Very yummy. Today I will go to take care of Julia for a bit while my daughter takes her kitty to the vet for her shots and then come home. Hubby and I need to go get him some new dress shoes for when he has court days for work.
Hoping to get some sewing done in the next couple days. Need to finish the quilt for my nephews wedding.
Weather is beautiful. Enjoying August also. Not looking forward to winter but I do love the fall.
Well, gotta go. Hoping you all have a wonderful day!

CrazyMtnLady
August 23rd, 2013, 10:19 AM
Good morning everyone. Wow, where did the week go. DH left for Michigan on Monday and I have been going non-stop ever since, unpacking some boxes and storing others. Rearranging the front room and cleaning. I have done 6 loads of laundry and still have some on the line I need to get down soon because there is a small chance of rain this afternoon. I still have about 3 loads to do also but they will wait until after the rain chances have passed. Most of it is DH's dirty clothes and lots and lots of towels, sheets and blankets from his Mom's house. My main problem is finding a place for them. I do thank God I found Color Catchers because some of the towels were really RED so I used the Color Catchers which was a great idea because boy were they red when I got them out of the wash.
I don't know how long this trip will take him so I have to have things done before he gets back with more to unpack.
We have a friend in Texas that is going to be coming up sometime after DH gets home and we are going to build a HUGE bedroom off the back of the house. Probably about 24' x 24'. I want a large walk-in closet and a spot for a washer/dryer. Our log bed we have stored is 8' x 8' so the room has to be big enough for the bed, night stands and dressers too. I can't wait.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Hugs and prayers to all.

cyndiofthevortex
August 23rd, 2013, 12:55 PM
Happy birthday to me!

I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for being my friends, warts and all. Lots of warts, I know! On me, you understand. Not you. Just wanted to make that clear.

I hope we all have a happy day full of smiles and blessings!

EsGrandma
August 23rd, 2013, 01:22 PM
Happy Birthday Cyndi!! Hope your day is fantabulous!

alliek
August 23rd, 2013, 01:27 PM
Yes Blondie it has been a "different" summer and I welcome the coolness and wetness of it. (Not the mosquitoes though, can't have everything) Loved your dance video. Thanks for the smile, I needed one today. DH had some kind of whatever removed from under his eye yesterday by spraying it with some freezing spray and now his eye is all swollen underneath, nearly shut. I have a call in to the Doc I hope this is a normal "thing", he has been through enough this summer. God Bless all.

CountryHut
August 23rd, 2013, 04:29 PM
do you hear me? . . . Happy Birthday to you . . Happy Birthday to you . and Happy Birthday to you . . and to my Sweet Sixteen Granddaughter . . . hope you have a Great Day Cyndi . .

*smacking forehead*~ it just came to mind . . we use to call my Granddaughter -- Little Cyndi -- omg . . . . her other Grandma name is Cyndi and little Ms Taylor has many of her traits . . she just has my oooooh sooo curly hair . . *po child*~

again . . have a super Birthday

Happy birthday to me!

I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for being my friends, warts and all. Lots of warts, I know! On me, you understand. Not you. Just wanted to make that clear.

I hope we all have a happy day full of smiles and blessings!

SuzyQue
August 23rd, 2013, 07:26 PM
Where did the summer go? Where did today go? I am just getting on and the day is about gone already! I have been piecing a smallish quiltish cover for my friend's fireplace, to be used when the fireplace is not being used. I had all the leaves and pumpkins finished up, so today she came and did the arranging and re-arranging to get it perfect in her mind. It does look cute, yet formal.....and very autumnal! Now to make 4 more leaves and put it together for her. She wanted to learn to quilt, but after a couple of sessions, gladly let me finish it up for her. I wasn't thrilled over her fabric choices, but it is looking pretty good, if I must say so myself!
I sliced my finger with the rotary cutter this past week, cutting one of those pesky number 13 triangles. It was the last piece needed for that block. While DD ran for the bandaids, I finished the other side of the triangle and I have survived. A tight bandage all week and it is almost healed. It has been a great excuse for not washing dishes or using the scrub bucket. Can't be soaking that cut and expecting it to heal!
Moved DD back to college for her last semester! DS starts his schoolwork on Monday. Life is about to get back into some routine. Will spend the weekend prepping and desperately trying to finish many projects and much cleaning........................or ...............putting that quiltlet together and starting a fall project for me. HMMMMMM????????? Yep......a little of each is in order! Hope everyone had a great day! Sorry to be so late!

Alana
August 23rd, 2013, 08:30 PM
And just what day is Alana's favorite day? Other than it being Cyndi's birthday of course.......You gotter' Friday!!!!! Ya know I planted that smile on my face this morning that you sent to me Blondie and the silly thing is still there....go figure! Hope everyone has had a fantastic Friday and that your weekend is sensationalistic too! (new word) And because this smile has grown today, I'm sending a bit of it out to all of you in quilting land.....Happy Weekend everyone....

Mpyles
August 23rd, 2013, 09:36 PM
Happy birthday cyndi!! Diane, I am so sorry you are having to face so much. I will pray for peace and good outcomes for un and your family!