PDA

View Full Version : How much have your regular cake mixes and canned items been reduced over the past year?

MayinJerset
August 22nd, 2013, 11:31 PM
Lately I've been finding that when I make an old recipe using canned goods or a boxed item the recipe doesn't come out as well as it used to. Made the simple Amish coffee cake recipe yesterday where you make a yellow cake mix as per box directions. Cake mix box contains less ounces that it used to so the batter was much less than usual. Added crumb mixture and it made the cake too sweet as there was too much sweetened crumb mixture to the amount of cake. Will have to adjust the amount of sugar, nuts, etc. in the crumb mixture next time I make the cake.

One thing I really hate is that we no longer can buy a half gallon of ice cream in a box shape. I used to make a great big ice cream cake by making a 13 x 9 layer cake and slicing it through the middle. Open up the ice cream box and slice off the ice cream and put it in between the cake layers, swirl some Cool Whip over the whole thing and freeze overnight. Delicious as I could vary the cake flavor as well as the kind of ice cream in the middle. Kind of difficult to scoop out ice cream neatly from the oval ice cream containers that now have way less than a half of a gallon in them. I miss the Good Old Days.

lilmouse
August 23rd, 2013, 12:06 AM
I noticed awhile back the price of sugar was the same but instead of 5lbs it was 4 lbs....do they think we are stupid?

Hulamoon
August 23rd, 2013, 12:14 AM
There was a news show on this showing how packaging has changed but not the prices. Cereal was a big one. Glass jars was the other. They put indents in the bottom so they can put less product in. It looks the same but turn it over and they are ripping people off.

PeggyM
August 23rd, 2013, 12:19 AM
And, the tollhouse cookie recipe on the back of the morsels changed. It's back by popular demand now, but I save the label/wrapper on things that I know we like, just in case.

Lisapc
August 23rd, 2013, 12:26 AM
My banana bread recipe is similar to the one on the jiffy box. As a matter of fact the first few ingredients are identical. 8 yrs ago my mother called me in a panic because her box had a different recipe on it and she couldn't remember the amounts of the first few ingredients. Well I had it so we were fine. A few months later our recipe came back. A couple months ago we noticed again it is different.

I am tired of everything coming in a smaller package and either the price stays the same or even goes up in some cases. It is really outrageous.

dwil23
August 23rd, 2013, 01:44 AM
All true. What aggravates me is when you can no longer buy certain ingredients at any price because they don't make them anymore. For instance, I have a recipe that calls for a can of coconut. It is much different than coconut in a bag. Baker's just doesn't make it, I checked their website. There have been a couple of other things, too, just can't remember what they were at this time.

Divine Daisy
August 23rd, 2013, 03:21 AM
In the UK we so rarely use cake mixes that I can't comment on that..........actually I have never used one but I do know that this practise of reducing weight in commonly bought items is going on. Cynical isn't it and a tiny bit dishonest......... at the very least misleading.

bakermom
August 23rd, 2013, 03:37 AM
This has been going on for years. 40+ years ago when i was in HS i worked for the local grocer. even then people would complain-The one I remember most is when a "pound" pkg of bacon became 12oz. Oh did we hear the complaints!! The option is for manufacturers to raise prices and folks don't want that either.
a few weeks ago DD was making a BD cake for her son. she called and asked me why she was short on batter. i told her to check the weight on the box. the ones she had just bought were several ozs. less than older ones she had on her pantry. She had to mix a second one to get the layers the size she needed

Momofmonsters5
August 23rd, 2013, 03:49 AM
This is why I've always baked from scratch, my Betty Crocker cook book is from the old days and I haven't had issues with different ounces being different.

Blondie
August 23rd, 2013, 06:28 AM
Then they put it on sale and we are paying more than we did last year. So, yes, they do think we are stupid.

I noticed awhile back the price of sugar was the same but instead of 5lbs it was 4 lbs....do they think we are stupid?