PDA

View Full Version : Strange things happening.....

bkthomas
August 21st, 2013, 10:53 PM
It would be nice to know exactly who the moderators are - and if not, why not?

I have seen some things have been deleted and there was no reason for it that I could see.
Anyone else notice anything odd?

kelliedi
August 21st, 2013, 11:02 PM
Al (billNye) put it in a post when he asked for mods. http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/general-discussion/18526-inviting-few-new-moderators-word-two-about-forum.html
here it is. The reason I asked is because i asked the same thing and he answered

Lisapc
August 21st, 2013, 11:15 PM
I haven't been back that long but I haven't noticed what you are referring to really. I see a couple of posts deleted now and then by the person who posted but other than that what are you referring to? As for things getting out of hand and being removed there is an inequality at times. Sad but has happened. Those things should be reported to Al because he requested that to happen. So there is no need to tell me that I shouldn't suggest people reporting posts that are aggressive or inappropriate to Al.

Moderators are here for support because Al cannot be here 24/7, none of us rule the roost. Karen has moderator under her photo but Jean the Sewing Machine and I do not. I never thought anything of it and don't know who the other moderators are.

Kathy what are you looking for? PM me to let me know and I will see if I can help you.

Jean Sewing Machine
August 21st, 2013, 11:15 PM
I am a moderator. I have only deleted obvious spam. I don't know what you are talking about with things being deleted. Yesterday, the new post log was cleared, as it usually is once it gets to a certain number ( I think somewhere around 500 new posts). It doesn't have anything to do with what the posts are about. Is that what you were referring to? If there was another reason why they were deleted, I don't know anything about that because I had nothing to do with it.

There is one person at the store who is also a moderator, can't remember her name. These are the only people I know of who are moderators.

K. McEuen
August 21st, 2013, 11:41 PM
I asked way back when why I showed as a Moderator and the others didn't. Never really got an answer. Lately the only thing I've been doing is banning spammers and approving posts for new members that post links, since they have to have a certain number of posts under their belt to be allowed to post links without approval (another attempt at controlling spam by the forum software.)

Madeforyouinma11
August 21st, 2013, 11:48 PM
Kathy, if something is gone, but you know you posted on it, look in your recent posts to see if it is still there. Other than that, I'm no help, sorry... :(

Lisapc
August 21st, 2013, 11:53 PM
I think I have deleted maybe 5 or 6 spam posts this week. That is so great because when I first became a moderator it was like 70 or 80 a day. You guys must remember that.

K. McEuen
August 22nd, 2013, 12:43 AM
Only the moderators see those spam posts, they are locked down by the system. I've been working with Al and sending him the IP addresses of people that I notice make multiple accounts on one IP and spam in their address lines. Last night I deleted almost 60 accounts on one IP address. I sent that to him and he'll block that IP from being allowed on the site. I think I started doing that about the time you got sick Lisa, and it's taken almost this long to knock the numbers of spammers reaching the site to a minimal number compared to what it used to be.

I mean do they seriously think we are going to go to some surgeon, or old folks home of dentist that some twit in Indonesia spams at us on a quilting forum? It's amazing some of the crap that they post.

Lisapc
August 22nd, 2013, 12:52 AM
Karen I was referring to you and Jean. Also as Al instructed me when I first became a Mod I delete all accounts of spammers and block them from accessing the forum with the IP.

So weird what you are saying but I really don't care. As long as it is better for everyone I am happy.

You are right though, this forum is no place for ads for anything and it is a computer program behind the spam and they don't think they just attack wherever it finds an opening.

bkthomas
August 22nd, 2013, 01:34 AM
.....and one day while I was browsing around I saw a thread with only 3 posts and one was locked....it wasn't the last post on that thread...just weird

I know of 3 moderators, just wonder if there are more.

EsGrandma
August 22nd, 2013, 02:49 AM
To all the moderators: Thank you! I remember some of the spam that came through and want to thank you for curbing this.

Jean Sewing Machine
August 22nd, 2013, 02:59 AM
Kathy, Al, the girl at the store, Lisa, Karen and myself are the moderators. And we had our hands full with the Asian spammers who would slam the site with spam emails every minute for an hour at a time at least two or three times a day. If a forum member got blocked, it was because they were trying to sell something, or had started a thread that was political in nature, rude or cruel to another forum member, or the poster asked us to block it. That's what Al asked us to do, if you read carefully what Kelliedi posted for us.

Some forums won't let you post anything that isn't approved by a moderator. You can imagine how that cuts down on the free flow of information! I hope we don't have to go to that!

K. McEuen
August 22nd, 2013, 03:05 AM
.....and one day while I was browsing around I saw a thread with only 3 posts and one was locked....it wasn't the last post on that thread...just weird

I know of 3 moderators, just wonder if there are more.

That sounds like one of the posts that needed approval from a mod because of a link as a new user. I know I've done 2 or 3 of those in the past couple days.

bkthomas
August 22nd, 2013, 03:19 AM
Thanks to all the moderators!

Hulamoon
August 22nd, 2013, 03:27 AM
Well this has been the best forum I have ever been on. I was on several on ebay and if your not in a private board it was chaos. Jeeze people were crazy there. lol I think this runs really smoothly. I asked a mod to shut down a thread for me, looked like it might go the wrong way, but she said it looks okay ,and it was. I did report a spam (button) once and it was gone in the morning.

I couldn't be a mod but I will find fun stuff to make and post :)

Juliadlf
August 22nd, 2013, 08:26 AM
I do have a question as to what happened to the posts on this thread
http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/quilting-questions/27120-kona-fabric-not-joanns.html
Was the person who posted as a rep from Kaufman not who they said they were?

I appreciate the work you all do to keep the spammers off.

Jean Sewing Machine
August 22nd, 2013, 08:52 AM
http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/quilting-questions/27120-kona-fabric-not-joanns.html

I appreciate the work you all do to keep the spammers off.Did it disappear? I read it, but didn't follow where it went. It seemed legitimate, but maybe it was deemed not appropriate to have an industry rep respond. I don't know.

Iris Girl
August 22nd, 2013, 08:56 AM
I think all the moderators are doing a wonderful job!

dwil23
August 22nd, 2013, 09:07 AM

The information is still there - it was shared by Auntpiggylpn as a cut and paste from another forum.

Thanks moderators!

Jean Sewing Machine
August 22nd, 2013, 09:39 AM
The information is still there - it was shared by Auntpiggylpn as a cut and paste from another forum.

Thanks moderators!
Well, I'm glad you found it. Because I don't have the patience to go look for stuff like this.

K. McEuen
August 22nd, 2013, 11:58 AM

That's weird. The Kaufman comments were there last time I looked at that thread, which was when it was active. I have no clue what happened to them.

Ha! I am back. You are on the wrong thread! Try this one ...
http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/quilting-questions/25565-robert-kaufman-fabric-unraveling-like-crazy-3.html

Juliadlf
August 22nd, 2013, 02:44 PM
That's weird. The Kaufman comments were there last time I looked at that thread, which was when it was active. I have no clue what happened to them.

Ha! I am back. You are on the wrong thread! Try this one ...
http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/quilting-questions/25565-robert-kaufman-fabric-unraveling-like-crazy-3.html

That is the one, Karen!!! I was impressed that a company rep would be following the forum or is it an imposter?
Interesting discussion on the fabric and what to do if it happens to us.

K. McEuen
August 22nd, 2013, 02:49 PM
That is the one, Karen!!! I was impressed that a company rep would be following the forum or is it an imposter?
Interesting discussion on the fabric and what to do if it happens to us.

There have been a couple other times that company reps (from different companies) have joined to comment on a forum post here. There are actually people at some companies that get paid to sit and surf the net looking for mentions of that company and if it ends up being a customer service issue then they will respond.

nyscpa2be
August 22nd, 2013, 03:08 PM
Wow - I never remembered to go back and check that post - I'll give Robert Kaufman a call and see what they respond with!

Hulamoon
August 22nd, 2013, 04:46 PM
When I was on ebay, Disney had people surfing looking for auctions to shut down. People making applique clothes with their images. I never did those because some people were getting threatened.

Lisa who would ever bully you? People are too serious.

Iris Girl
August 22nd, 2013, 08:02 PM
Bullying? how old are we? why can't we just have a nice forum and chat about things of interest without the troublemakers? This was my sanctuary and now people get bullied?... it saddens me..

Iris Girl
August 22nd, 2013, 08:25 PM
Still makes me mad to think anyone would bully you, you do nothing but good here. You don't get in peoples faces and you don't make mountains out of mole hills. Everyone has a crisis they are going through some things are better left unsaid or in PM's . You dear friend know the line to stop at and not tell the world every tidbit of info. (((hugs))) for being you don't change.

auntiemern
August 22nd, 2013, 08:27 PM
It's all good Iris. I have been a member a long time and every once in a while some one does this. Eventually the bad seeds get weeded out. Live, Love, Laugh, and Quilt. Nothing else really matters.
Bullying? how old are we? why can't we just have a nice forum and chat about things of interest without the troublemakers? This was my sanctuary and now people get bullied?... it saddens me..

Lisapc
August 22nd, 2013, 08:29 PM
Lorie: No worries. I have been assured that the person who just won't ignore me and let me do my job and enjoy the forum isn't going to be a problem for me anymore.

Iris: You are a great forum friend and please stay on the forum and enjoy.

I deleted these posts because there is no reason for that type of behavior and my post ignited the responses. I will continue as moderator as instructed.

Jean Sewing Machine
August 22nd, 2013, 08:35 PM
Let's cool it and let it drop. Before this gets out of hand which it is Getting very close to getting beyond where anyone needs to go with the discussion at hand, or I will see that the whole thread is shut down because I have a job to do, to keep this a positive place and this is very negative.

Lisapc
August 22nd, 2013, 08:50 PM
Let's cool it and let it drop. Before this gets out of hand which it is Getting very close to getting beyond where anyone needs to go with the discussion at hand, or I will see that the whole thread is shut down because I have a job to do, to keep this a positive place and this is very negative.

Precisely why I deleted the posts Jean. Glad to see you are willing to step in.