PDA

View Full Version : To catch a thief....

bubba
August 21st, 2013, 08:26 PM
As I was minding my own business driving home from work today, I get about six blocks from my house when I see a man run in front of cars and hop in a van. Well, after nearly being hit by a huge SUV he was safely in his van....or so he thought. ZOOOOOOM came a forklift out of the business he had run from. It plowed right into the drivers side of the van, lifting it up on two tires.

The dispatcher in me now kicks into gear. The van started leaving, so I cut over, trying to make it hit an empty bus shelter. He missed both that and me (thank goodness because I only have four more payments to make!) and I followed him, trying to get a license plate number. I got close a couple times, but he caught onto the fact I was following him and he started driving in oncoming traffic downtown. He managed to get away from me when he turned down a hill and I was caught by a light, but I saw where he turned. I had to circle around and viola!!! There sat the van, the entire drivers side smashed in (it used to be a nice pretty Nissan Quest) and the driver nowhere to be seen.

I had been trying to call into my work to let them know where this guy came from so they could call to see if something happened, but the business had already called in. He had stolen a computer and a wallet and fled. As luck would have it, I could not get my phone to cooperate as it had died, and it had not been on the charger long enough. It finally came on just as I lost sight of it, but at least once I found it, I was able to give the description and the plate number.

I drove back to where it all happened and the police had just pulled up. I gave them the information they needed and there were already two officers out with the vehicle downtown (about three miles away). Hopefully they catch the guy. I talked to the forklift driver and told him it was pretty cool watching it all unfold and he smiled and said, I know!!! Did you see him run into me with his van??? Uh....no. He was pretty excited still about the whole encounter.

Score one for the good guys!

alliek
August 21st, 2013, 08:29 PM
Bad boys, bad boys. Sounds like an episode from cops! Glad you are safe and noone injured. You did you civic duty and I thank you. We need more like minded citizens.
s

Lisapc
August 21st, 2013, 08:32 PM
You did really well. I am glad no one was hurt.

grannyann
August 21st, 2013, 09:14 PM
Great story and a good ending for you. Glad you didn't get hurt.

bubba
August 21st, 2013, 10:15 PM
You know, as exciting as it is, I did exactly what we tell people not to do. It was fun tho....

Blondie
August 21st, 2013, 10:18 PM
Hope by now they got the creep. You did great! My adrenaline is still pumping after reading your account.

Blondie

auntiemern
August 21st, 2013, 10:39 PM
Wow, that is amazing. But yeah, you should not have tried to catch up to him. To many people packing now a days. Congrats though. Hope with your info they catch the slug.

BellasQuilts
August 21st, 2013, 11:15 PM
My word! Great story and glad you are okay. Hope the bad guy is caught soon.

Monique
August 22nd, 2013, 08:15 AM
Gives you an adrenaline rush doesn't it. Good for you.

Kelly F
August 22nd, 2013, 08:55 AM
Awesome!! You rock!!

Where do you work? I was a dispatcher once a upon a time, and then an officer. All together I was in law enforcement for almost 20 years here in Virginia.

Great job and stay safe!!

bubba
August 22nd, 2013, 11:12 AM
Awesome!! You rock!!

Where do you work? I was a dispatcher once a upon a time, and then an officer. All together I was in law enforcement for almost 20 years here in Virginia.

Great job and stay safe!!

I work and live in Tacoma WA......I dispatch for both the sheriff and the police department. We are the second biggest county in the state by population, and things are normally hopping. As of this past May, I have worked her for thirty years!

When I got into work this morning, I looked up the call. Indeed, the police found the van right where I told them it was. About ten minutes before I saw all this happen, they had also broke into other cars about two miles away and got caught, but fled. A few hours after all this, a woman called the van in as stolen.....be interesting to see if it really was. They never did find the man who fled....rats!