PDA

View Full Version : Monday Greetings

Blondie
August 19th, 2013, 08:05 AM

Happy Monday Folksies!

It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring . . . all weekend long. I imagine everyone else along the east coast is the same. Since I decided to not watch the news for a while, I miss the weather. All I know is, it has rained buckets here. I believe this has been the wettest year of my life!

Okay, so the weekend has passed and I did absolutely nothing. Sometimes it feels good to do nothing and then Sometimes I feels a wee bit guilty. Spent some time with Mom, so, nothing to feel guilty about. Dirty houses and laundry will wait.

Mom and I went through old recipes. I love old cookbooks. Mom had a complete series of small cookbooks from back in the 50's. They were ethnic and regional little books. Our favorite when we were growing up were the Hungarian recipes. So, looking through her recipes, we were trying to cull out which ones we would like to make again. Hey, it was raining! It was a fun thing to do. Then we played some spades. Now that was fun.

Today, I will finish some laundry I started last night and do the housework I should have done this weekend. See, I told you it waits for me.

Be blessed this week, dear ones. Always consider the possibilities of trying new things. If you are not a positive thinker, then I challenge you to buy a composition book at the $$store and each day write down at least one good thought, action or deed. I betcha you can think of more than one. Count your blessings, they are many. That will make you smile!

Blondie

pcbatiks
August 19th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Good morning forum friends.........woke up early and couldn't go back to sleep. This weekend I got all my applique pieces for my aunt's quilt cut out and pinned in place. Today I will iron/fuse them to the quilt top so I can start appliqueing. I think I'm a little bit in the "fear stage" that Joan mentions in her post. Here is the link.........if you haven't read it.........it is great an so true!

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/general-discussion/27313-why-quilting-lot-like-grieving.html

Had a pretty weekend here...........hope you'll have a great day!

MRoy
August 19th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Good morning! It was a lazy weekend here too. Today, I get to go back to work for a few hours. I was involved in a personnel board hearing regarding a former employee's termination when I retired. The hearing is still in process and I'm supposed to testify later on so this morning I'm meeting with the agency's lawyer to prep for that.

Our little dog, Jake, is sick. The vet gave him some meds last Wednesday, he's feeling a little better but he won't eat anything. DH is calling the vet again today. Jake is DH's little buddy and is always with him.

Jean Sewing Machine
August 19th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Hi everyone! I guess for all the wet people on the east coast I won't go one about our beautiful weather this past weekend. My daughter, SIL and I worked on the house and yard this weekend, and the place looks a lot better, clen and trimmed! I did get my pumpkin twister quilted and bound, it turned out very cute, and I love making the Twisters. I want to start a couple of Halloween quilts for the grankids beds here, but I also have quite a few tops put together that I need to quilt. I have a small project going called Peas in a Pod top moving along. It is my midle of the niht project, when I wake up and can't go back to sleep, I sew on it, and the blocks are finihed, just need to be put together.

Myrna, hope your little fur friend gets better. It's scary when they won't eat

Have a good day, everyone.

Shirley
August 19th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Hi Blondie and everyone. We have definitely had our share of rain but we had a gorgeous weekend. So very mild. This August has just been wonderful.
Hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Monique
August 19th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Good morning dear friends. I kept myself busy yesterday. Laundry was at the top of the list. I finished the binding on the dresden quilt, washed the shopping bag, finished the xmas decoration, trying to decide how to decorate the horse shoe, and finished the applique block and all this is for the fair. I will get pictures today.

I managed to get a quilt sandwiched last week and started quilting it last night. I was trying to use a template that I have but NOTHING would show up on my fabric. I have different colored pencils and I could not see any of them, so it is simple straight line hand quilting for this gal.

Another hot one today in the forecast. But I will enjoy this day to the fullest.

Have a great day friends.

Suzette
August 19th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Good morning quilty friends! Yep, rain, rain, and more rain here too. We're just about ready to start on that Ark . . .:D

On the upside, with all the rain outside, I've had lots of indoor time to quilt the days away without any guilt that I'm neglecting my gardens! :lol:

Bubby
August 19th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Good Morning Blondie! I agree with you and I also Choose Happy. Glad you had a slow weekend. After all the commotion of redoing the salon you deserved to slow down.

We also had a slow weekend. I babied my teeth and they are beginning to get a little less painful. We are starting to put part of our garden to bed already. We had so-o-o much rain there for a while that lots of plants rotted in the ground. No sense in trying to save that mess. We're done with our tomatoes but still have zukes and peppers.

I did a little sewing yesterday and finished up two small projects that I can cross off my ever growing list of things to do.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Monday.....Blessings all around!

aliaslaceygreen
August 19th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Good morning! you are correct...rainy weekend, Rainy Monday... but I won't let it get me down! Laylabug is asleep in our room and I am sure we have a full day ahead once the coffee kicks in!

Neko (for that is the name we have settled on) is not the happiest camper as I have not taken him out of his crate yet today. I need to give Tatiana some Kitten-Free access to me first... Otherwise, he is really a doll..

Take care all!

Sew Perfect
August 19th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Good morning everyone. We also have had lovely weather in the Kansas City area. Not too hot, not too cold and for pete's sake, no rain!

DH and I had a pretty lazy weekend. I don't know why, but I've been so tired lately. So, I worked on some hand applique while watching some movies and football with DH. We may have been lazy, but at least we had quality time together.

Blondie, I think you are so blessed to live close enough to your mother that you can do things with her. Mine is in Florida 40 minutes S.E. of Orlando. I don't get to see her much, but we talk on the phone often.

Pam, you've got me curious on your applique quilt, so I am looking forward to seeing it.

Jean, I'd like for you to clone yourself, your dd, and your sil to come help me in my yard. Keep on sewing on those wonderful Halloween quilts lady!

Everyone else, have a wonderful day no matter what and for crying out loud...keep on sewing and making those wonderful projects! It is good for the soul and keeps the mind sharp!

grannyann
August 19th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Good Monday morning. I had a great walk this morning. It is just the right temp. and the sun was shinning through all the trees. Just a beautiful morning.
We sure do need some rain here. My grass is starting to dry up and the ground is hard and starting to crack so we sure need some rain.
I pray every day that I will have a positive attitude all day. Some times it works sometimes it don't. I can't stand my self when I am not positive so I know no one else can either. But I certainly not going to give up on my praying for that good attitude.
I don't like watching the news anymore it is always depressing and it is the same thing over and over.
I think we would all be much happier if they had more good happy things to broadcast.
Well I need to get busy here. Wishing you all a great Monday with all of God's Blessings for each and everyone.

cyndiofthevortex
August 19th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Whew! Just back from my annual physical. I'm always glad to have that over with. I listen to my forum friends who recommend it! I know how important it is. I have a friend named Jane that I am constantly praying for because she has not had even a basic physical for 13 years, though I encourage her often. Say a prayer now if you would that she would listen to me!

DH and I had a wonderful weekend at the World Quilt Show. The quilts there were amazing and it was fun to be together without the responsibilities of work or children. There were lots of landscape quilts, which I love. And I hardly bought anything! Maybe a couple of things more than just thread but very little. I'm so proud of myself. I'll post some pics later today along with a new album soon.

Hope you all have a great day. No rain here! It is warm and sunny.

MayinJerset
August 19th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Good Morning, Guess we are lucky as we haven't had any rain here, yesterday was really cloudy and this morning it is cool and sunny.

Yesterday we all went out to lunch, afterwards DH and I shopped for new TV room furniture while DS and kids shopped at Big Lots and we all ended up in The Christmas Tree Store. Everyone was happy with their meal and that they got some items at the stores, nothing like a few items to keep the kids happy like fake $5 bills and Halloween eyeball salt and pepper shakers.

I was the happiest because I ordered a top grain leather sectional couch. Only took a short time because I had previously check out all the furniture stores during the past few months and narrowed down my choices. I was looking for a small sectional that fit the dimentions of the room, 2 couches or 1 couch and a chair. Pillows to be attached, hated that they kept slipping on present couch. Seating height needed to be high enough for me to get up easily, if my knees are lower than my behind it's hard for me to get up. Also wanted leather as we hang out in that room a lot reading, resting and/or watching TV so I didn't want to have the problem with stains and making slipcovers. New sectional fits the room perfectly, loved the color, right height and DH liked the comfort of the seat and back cushions. Also included in price was 5 years service for any stains or problems. New stuff will be delivered on Wednesday so now how to get rid of all the old stuff. Salesman gave me a list of agencies that would take our old stuff so DH was happy until I told him no one would want a recliner with a broken spring under the seat and a couch whose lovely chocolate brown covering faded in places to orange.

Sandy Navas
August 19th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Not much happening - have one kid humming and driving me up the wall, need to head out for groceries and see if the 'stow-away' is allowed to go, another day in the land of the weird . . .

Wanted to sew yesterday - started the machine applique on my Aunt's Sunbonnet Sue quilt top and then was attacked by a 6YO wanting to make 'something' and there is no way I can resist her smile. Al did take pictures but since he's not home and hasn't forwarded the pictures to me I can't share the details as yet. Hold onto your seats, cause it is S P E C I A L.

So many things happening with so many people - makes me wish for the days when I was a child and everything was so very, very easy.

Hoping that everyone has a better day than they have ever imagined, that there is peace and calmness surrounding you, and that you are feeling the best you have ever felt. May there be many surprises in your future.

Lisapc
August 19th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Gorgeous weather and I woke up with a headache. So today will be a restful one for me. My Lil' Guy is completely into playing zombie right now. He set up a cardboard fort in his room with signs that say survivor inside. He has slept in that for 3 nights in a row, he also built a barricade at the door. So no one can get in the room. I think it is his way from keeping the dogs from getting him up in the morning. I usually say, "go get Peter" and they run up the stairs, one takes his feet and one takes his neck and they kiss him awake. They can't do that now so they just sit at the barricade and howl. Loudly!

I hope you all have a wonderful Monday with a big belly laugh thrown in.

Mpyles
August 19th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Good morning everyone. Pretty quiet weekend here. Here's a funny yet so so funny for you....on Saturday morning at 4 am ...my alarm clock was going off and I bound up out of bed to turn it off...only to find that my right leg was asleep and to the floor I went. The not so funny is when I woke up Sunday morning I had pain in my butt and right arm where I fell. Gonna have to rethink that hopping right up! It's better today..still sore but not nearly as much.

I had a trundle bed under my daughters day bed, and a niece who has recently gotten custody of one of her children's half siblings...same dads different moms...the other mother has been in prison lots of times for drugs and has gone back. My niece is no longer involved with the dad..but he can't take care of the boy so my niece who has 3 very active children of her own has taken him in...as she had mostly raised him, but every time the mom gets out she comes and takes back the boy. Well she is in for 3 years this time..and this time my niece is going to make the legal moves to make sure this child doesn't have to go back the next time. Anyway!! I dug that twin bed out and took it of to them. Then last night I took our lab jake and met my son at his girlfriends soccer game. My pup sure wanted to get that ball!! Haha!

Today...gonna sew a bit, take a sewing machine to my niece, and try to cook some supper for a change!

Everyone have a great day!!!

lilmouse
August 19th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Good Morning...had to take a pain pill last night so I slept in ...have to go to work in a little while. I am getting an old Singer and cabinet this week....for free....can't wait to see it...and no it isn't a feather weight but they think maybe 70's or 80's...blond cabinet. We shall see...pretty excited about it. If it does a nice straight stitch I will be happy....and see if maybe one of my SIL's is interested as it is an older machine and they love older machines!
Still having lots of trouble with the shingles....but am hoping that by not smoking they will go away quicker...time will tell.
I am trying to stay upbeat....work has been s l o w....with lots of time to kill but am trying to stay busy...the patch is working very well so far...now to change my attitude and I should be home free!
Steve is back on the road...left Friday but I had him home for a few days...it was nice but I felt like I was tied to the stove and the kitchen sink...the more I cooked the more I had to wash dishes...hoping to get busy in the sewing room this week...I have been slacking lately and that has to stop; have lots to do and finish up!
Everyone have a great day and prayers for all in need....hugs too
Susie

CrazyMtnLady
August 19th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Good morning everyone. A little late getting on here...that Craft-matic bed sure is hard to get out of in the morning..LOL...in fact we sleep so good on it that Daniel is still sleeping.
He is hoping to get on the road today to head back to Michigan, but he hurt his wrist yesterday and it is really sore and he is not sure he wants to drive with a sore wrist. We will have to wait and see when he wakes up. All I have to do is pack his cooler and he will be ready to go if he decides to head out. This trip should only take him a week or so and not 3 months like the last one. I am hoping he is home by the 29th which is his birthday.
I have a lot of this to do while he is away. The futon needs to be put together and the front room arranged, then I can start going through the boxes and seeing what dishes I want in the China cupboard...etc. Enough work to keep me out of trouble that's for sure.

I really love the daily deal today. I may have to convince Daniel that I really really need it and hope it isn't sold out when he wakes up.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.
Hugs and prayers to all.

Alana
August 19th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Did some work on my fall quilt on Saturday but yesterday was a disaster. I had a doozie of a headache and no, it wasn't from a hang over, for those who have any grins and giggles out there. Spent most of the day laying on the sofa or bed with the fur babies who dearly love to snuggle when you really don't want to. Besides that I did absolutely nothing and didn't even cook anything to eat......lazy lady day....love it once in a while. Otherwise the weather was gorgeous but I didn't get out to enjoy it. Enough of my whining. I'm at work and hating it but that's totally normal so I should go and pretend I know what I am doing. Hope you all have a great day even in the rain. Smiles make you feel so much better.

Madeforyouinma11
August 19th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Hello everyone..late start for me today. I didn't get to sleep until after 3 so it was slow moving this morning. No rain here and there won't be all week. It's actually back up in the 80's and sunny.

Well, I found out yesterday that my oldest daughter was let go from her job. She was supposed to go back to work next Monday after her maternity leave. Before she had the baby, her boss kept asking if she was going to come back, that they really wanted her to come back. She told them that was the plan and she would see them on the 26th. Friday she went to the beach with my other DD and when she got back home, noticed that she missed a certified letter from work. They were going to New Hampshire on Saturday for a wedding and spending a few days..not coming home til tomorrow, but stopped at the post office to get the letter. They told her they were terminating her because of her performance. She has been there for 6 years and has never had anything negative put in her file. She has never been spoken to about her performance except in a positive way. She has received her raises and bonuses regularly. She is so upset. Not because she won't be there anymore, because she actually was looking for something else, but because she was fired. She has been working since she was 14, and has never been fired before. I am horrified and want her to talk to a lawyer but she just wants to move on. Please keep her in your prayers that when she is ready to go back to work, that she can find something without the sting of being fired causing a problem. She is supposed to go in to talk to them when she gets back, so we'll see what happens.

Today will be more sewing on nephews quilt for his wedding and some bibs for my baby girl. She's in the very droopy stage and I need to make bibs that are waterproof on the back so her clothes stay dry..llol hope everyone has a wonderful day.

carrie liz
August 19th, 2013, 02:35 PM
I am having so much fun. My DGD is getting married and we are working on the ring bearer pillow together. I got out my box of lace and she picked out what she liked. Yesterday we got ribbon for the pillow and toile and a basket for the bubbles she is handing out instead of rice. This morning I cut out the taffeta and sewed the lace on the way she described. The ribbon is pinned in place. She will come over later today and we can finish the rest of the construction together. Then to cut up the toile and decorate the basket. Good memories to cherish.

Blondie
August 19th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Getting caught up reading on everyone's weekends and plans. Wow, we have such a diverse group.

May, I am totally thrilled for your new sofa. Sounds like you are one savvy shopper who knows what she needs and wants.

Cil, I am aghast when I read of employers sacking someone like this. NC is a right to work state and an employer really doesn't need a reason to let someone go - ask my hubs how we know that! However, she should be entitled to some unemployment possibly? Whenever I read something like this I always think, do the employers think that this is the way to treat people? If you can treat a faithful employee like this, how do you actually treat clients? I mean, what goes around actually does come back around - I have found it to be sooner than later these days!

Susie, I am sorry to read that the shingles have presented themselves to you. Gentle hugs and many prayers, sweet girl.

Mary, I know you feel better now that after saving that bed all these years, it will be going to a good and needed home.

And to everyone else, I am smiling as I wave by here. It's still raining but in my heart the son is shining.

Madeforyouinma11
August 19th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Getting caught up reading on everyone's weekends and plans. Wow, we have such a diverse group.

May, I am totally thrilled for your new sofa. Sounds like you are one savvy shopper who knows what she needs and wants.

Cil, I am aghast when I read of employers sacking someone like this. NC is a right to work state and an employer really doesn't need a reason to let someone go - ask my hubs how we know that! However, she should be entitled to some unemployment possibly? Whenever I read something like this I always think, do the employers think that this is the way to treat people? If you can treat a faithful employee like this, how do you actually treat clients? I mean, what goes around actually does come back around - I have found it to be sooner than later these days!

Susie, I am sorry to read that the shingles have presented themselves to you. Gentle hugs and many prayers, sweet girl.

Mary, I know you feel better now that after saving that bed all these years, it will be going to a good and needed home.

And to everyone else, I am smiling as I wave by here. It's still raining but in my heart the son is shining.

i know! It's crazy! She will be able to collect. I'm not too worried about her finding another job when she's ready, I'm just so angry that she'll have "being fired" on her resume to follow her. I'm hoping when she talks to her boss that they can change that where it looks like they just laid her off. Oh well, like she says, and I do too, everything happens for a reason.

bkthomas
August 19th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Yes Blondie, The Son is shining!