PDA

View Full Version : Sunny Sunday

MayinJerset
August 18th, 2013, 10:13 AM
at least it is right now. Was up at 6:30 and it was pretty dark and cloudy. Not sure what we're doing today but whatever it is I'm not cooking. Son and kids met friends at The Shore yesterday and had dinner out so I have plenty of oven BBQ chicken and sides left for today. Thought my quilt would have been back from the quilter's in yesterday's mail. While everyone was out yesterday it would have been the perfect time to bind and label it so tomorrow I could mail it to DGD in CA.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone, only a few left this summer. May

DCM
August 18th, 2013, 10:27 AM
I'm enjoying our mild summer weather so much. Today's going to be busy -- I'm going to work on finishing the binding on a lap quilt for my mom, finish painting the top part of our fence (my husband used a paint sprayer for the majority of the fence but couldn't use it for the very top or a lot of paint would have ended up in the yard), dust & vacuum, make a new pork chop recipe for dinner that sounds really easy, and bake a dessert to take to work tomorrow. After reading what I'm going to do today I'm tired already :) Have a wonderful Sunday!

Sew Perfect
August 18th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Hi May. It sounds like you had a good day yesterday. Right now, I have 2 quilts I'm putting binding on, but decided to work on my hand applique in stead binding. My projct is looking so pretty; I can't wait for it to be finished.

Dawn. I just read your post and it made me tired all ready! You have a good day also.

quiltingtrish
August 18th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Good morning May and who else is up?

May - have you gotten your star challenge project finished yet? I have an idea and a supply or two, but that's as far as I've gotten with it.

I went to an auction with my sister yesterday that was held outside of Lancaster, PA. It was classified as a quilt auction and oh my!!, was it ever. There were over 300 box lots of quilts/quilt related items to be sold off. There were about 30 individual quilts held up to be sold, boxes and boxes that held scraps by color, and more boxes that held 3-4 quilts (all sizes) in them to be sold. There was also about 10 huge boxes of quilt books. There were about 10 people there to bid on the items. Most that bid were there to buy and resell on ebay. There were lots that had stains on them and the auctioneer said all the items were stored in a storage locker. There was no way this woman could have sewn all that stuff herself. She must have been a collector and then just stored most of it. My sister got a Singer Featherweight that looked like it was in pretty good condition. We also got about 10 boxes of scraps in different colorways that went anywhere from $3.00 to $5.00 a box. The quilts went from about $30. up to a few hundred. We got a box that had 4 quilts in it - 1 was Christmas Trees that was made in China (that was a disappointment), a white wholecloth quilted that was quite beautiful but quite a few stains, a quilt with applique strawberry patches all over it, and a quilt that has very old fabrics turned into 8 point stars - all for $10. Told my sister to try to bleach out the stains and she asked wouldn't that ruin it. Well, not if we got all 4 for $10. plus will it ever be displayed or used with all the stains on it? I think not.
Every time I go to one of these type of auctions, which isn't often thank goodness, it pushes me to get more of my beautiful fabric sewn and quilted and given to people that will appreciate it. I hope my stuff never goes into auction like yesterdays has.

Well, off to dad's later today. Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Hugs,

Monique
August 18th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Good Sunday morning friends. I worked yesterday and that is about all I did. I was so tired from the night before. Had dinner at a friends and was in bed by 8. I still feel tired this morning. It is another beautiful sunshiny day. Laundry and then who knows. Have a wonderful Sunday everyone.

Sandy Navas
August 18th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Everyone has worn me out. Sure wish I had a refrigerator waiting with left overs, but I do have two racks of ribs ready for the grill (well, almost). One will have a southern mustard sauce and the other my infamous homemade BBQ (with TOMATO) . . . Ribs have to be my all-time very favorite food - messy fingers and all. I'd even cross the street in heavy traffic to get ribs instead of ice cream and candy.

Crazy times around here - I have been running a gamut of emotions lately. Think it may be time for me to dig a deep hole and hide out for a while. Nuff said.

So, here's to cheers and good times for everyone. Happy Stitching!!

Lisapc
August 18th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Very sunny yet cool here. It will heat up to low 80's today. I have a dresser I have been wanting to refinish and with hubby home he cold do the heavy lifting. Maybe that and sewing would make for a relaxing yet productive day.

I wish all of you a peaceful and happy Sunday!

Monique
August 18th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Good morning May and who else is up?

May - have you gotten your star challenge project finished yet? I have an idea and a supply or two, but that's as far as I've gotten with it.

I went to an auction with my sister yesterday that was held outside of Lancaster, PA. It was classified as a quilt auction and oh my!!, was it ever. There were over 300 box lots of quilts/quilt related items to be sold off. There were about 30 individual quilts held up to be sold, boxes and boxes that held scraps by color, and more boxes that held 3-4 quilts (all sizes) in them to be sold. There was also about 10 huge boxes of quilt books. There were about 10 people there to bid on the items. Most that bid were there to buy and resell on ebay. There were lots that had stains on them and the auctioneer said all the items were stored in a storage locker. There was no way this woman could have sewn all that stuff herself. She must have been a collector and then just stored most of it. My sister got a Singer Featherweight that looked like it was in pretty good condition. We also got about 10 boxes of scraps in different colorways that went anywhere from $3.00 to $5.00 a box. The quilts went from about $30. up to a few hundred. We got a box that had 4 quilts in it - 1 was Christmas Trees that was made in China (that was a disappointment), a white wholecloth quilted that was quite beautiful but quite a few stains, a quilt with applique strawberry patches all over it, and a quilt that has very old fabrics turned into 8 point stars - all for $10. Told my sister to try to bleach out the stains and she asked wouldn't that ruin it. Well, not if we got all 4 for $10. plus will it ever be displayed or used with all the stains on it? I think not.
Every time I go to one of these type of auctions, which isn't often thank goodness, it pushes me to get more of my beautiful fabric sewn and quilted and given to people that will appreciate it. I hope my stuff never goes into auction like yesterdays has.

Well, off to dad's later today. Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Hugs,

I would have been in heaven to go to one these auctions. Lucky duck.

Annette Ackley
August 18th, 2013, 11:38 AM
OH, Quiltingtrish, Sounds like you had fun. Sounds like a day I would like to have. Yesterday I spent making a big breakfast for my Step-Son and 2 grandchildren, and his Girlfriend and her Son. They spent the night with us. After they left. We went for a drive to see if we could find any blackberry bushes. Lots of Apples hanging on the Apple trees. later I sewed some Pinwheel blocks. I'm making a scrappy Pinwheel Quilt. Got at least 11 more blocks to go.
Later on today we are going for another drive. We are going to shoot our rifles and our Flintlock. They need to be shot to make sure we are ready for our up coming deer season. Yes, we also shoot and go hunting. My DH also does Scroll work. And I'm the Quilter. LOL I guess we aren't boring people. Sometimes it seem we don't have enough time to do all the things we like to do. I guess that is the way it is. Can't have everything !!

Ginny B
August 18th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Good morning all. DH and I had a nice day in CT. We were going to head down to the beach this morning but woke to very cloudy skies and a prediction of rain so dh decided it was better not to go. Instead we will do a bit of work in the yard while it is not sunny and hot. then I will be in my sewing room for a bit later on. If it really does not rain, maybe we will head down to the beach later and walk the boardwalk or just sit and enjoy the sunset.

I got to go to a Hobby Lobby yesterday! We don't have any here but while we were driving on 95 yesterday I saw one so on the way back down, we stopped. I did get some material there and the store was soooooo big. Didn't get to explore all the things they have but what I did get to see was very nice. Looks like they have a bit of everything. We have made that trip countless times and I never saw the sign before and the store looked like it was pretty new so it must be a new addition to that shopping center.

Have a great day everyone.

Lisapc
August 18th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Sunday morning update for me.

Hubby, son and the dogs and I just spent over 1/2 watching Mom and twin baby deer eating the big pile of apples he put in our woods on the path. We were drinking our coffee and our little guy his juice. What a wonderful morning. They were out there the past two mornings but this morning we just sat quietly and watched. They are staying out of our veggie garden and the sunflowers are gone so instead of being upset they are around we are grateful they are here!

Mpyles
August 18th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Good morning!

Having a bit of a pity party here today...missing the dd! DH is off fishing and I am off for today and tomorrow. My dd is settling in nicely at her new school( I know this via facebook) she is making new friends and all look to be brainiacs...so I am grateful with that. She is very "busy" right now....and I am trying to not encroach on her new found freedom.....sigh....

Well I guess I have plenty of time to sew....

Everyone have a great day!!

Alana
August 18th, 2013, 01:20 PM
It's a beautiful day here today again. Temperature is cool but at least the sun is shinning and it smells so fresh and clean. Plan on doing some cleaning and laundry today with some quilting in between. My vacuum is getting very lonely these days so I think I may take it out and show it the floor.....
quiltingtrish you hit a good score by the sound of it. Never get things like that around here...just farm equipment and furniture.....
Hope ya'll have a great day.....

MRoy
August 18th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Good morning or afternoon depending on your time zone. I dozed this morning and didn't get up until almost 9. That's unusual for me. Yesterday afternoon I cut enough 5" tumbler blocks for a small baby/child's quilt. This will be a charity quilt and my project for the quilt guild sit and sew later this month. I also sewed two more rows for another flimsy. I'm getting back in the swing of sewing.

MayinJerset
August 18th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Trish, Nice haul at the quilt auction.

Going to cheat a bit for this year's Hoe Down Challenge. I have a star quilt I made for my small quilt group challenge last year and will finish it off for the Hoe Down. Not sure if Elaine will attend., haven't seen her for awhile but we should be hooking up end of this month. Haven't decided which days I will be there as it is right around grandson Ben's B-day.

Gotta get this gang up and going, it's almost 1 and son and grandson are still asleep.

shannonsaulter
August 18th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Gm all its work for me again today...looking forward to two days off..its been warm here in the high 80's...
Take care all..

toggpine
August 18th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Hi all!

It will be Fence Project 2.0 today. I swear I spent most of they day trudging up and down the hill getting more tools, supplies, etc. instead of actually repairing the fence! I now have most every tool even remotely related to fencing down in the barn!
I did get about half of the fence re-stretched and re-attached to the fence posts.
Now I have a problem. The corner post isn't holding up to the constant torture of the goats messing with the fence. I really need to pull the post out and reset it, probably with some braces to keep it from pulling over. This going to require the use of a saw and some angle cutting. I may have to get out my quilting angle rulers! This has gotten to be a bigger project that I originally planned. Isn't that always the way though?
I am hoping to avoid another run in with bees today while I am at it.

Perhaps I'll get to some sewing one of these days.

Sandy Navas
August 18th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Hi all!

It will be Fence Project 2.0 today. I swear I spent most of they day trudging up and down the hill getting more tools, supplies, etc. instead of actually repairing the fence! I now have most every tool even remotely related to fencing down in the barn!
I did get about half of the fence re-stretched and re-attached to the fence posts.
Now I have a problem. The corner post isn't holding up to the constant torture of the goats messing with the fence. I really need to pull the post out and reset it, probably with some braces to keep it from pulling over. This going to require the use of a saw and some angle cutting. I may have to get out my quilting angle rulers! This has gotten to be a bigger project that I originally planned. Isn't that always the way though?
I am hoping to avoid another run in with bees today while I am at it.

Perhaps I'll get to some sewing one of these days.

What's this about a run in with bees . . . I missed that one. Sure hope you are okay. Have family members who truly react to stings in a bad way.

toggpine
August 19th, 2013, 04:01 AM
We had a yellow jacket nest IN a hay bale in the barn in July. Both Emily & I were stung then.

I was out repairing some of the fence yesterday and when I was ready to turn the hot wire back on there was a short some where. I went along the fence in the old goat pasture pulling the long grass out from under the wire. One of the old girls snugged up behind my knees and tried to stop me from going any further, but I thought she just wanted one of the baby apples and a few scratches so I ignored her.
The next handful of grass got me a huge hornet/wasp/ground bee stinging the back of my left hand between my first two knuckles. I am pretty sure I said bad words. Eric got out the lawn mower and mowed the rest of the edge of the field. He found the ground nest and emptied a can of spray into the hole, from a safe distance.
This has been the worst year for "bees" around the farm in a long time.
This thing swelled up and aches across three fingers and down at least two joints. It is still swollen and red. I have more flexibility now and it is starting to itch. My grip was limited to about the diameter of a coffee cup until after noon. I can only imagine what it would have been if I hadn't hit the Benedryl & ice right away.
Next time, I'll listen a little closer to the goats.

Mpyles
August 19th, 2013, 11:10 AM
We had a yellow jacket nest IN a hay bale in the barn in July. Both Emily & I were stung then.

I was out repairing some of the fence yesterday and when I was ready to turn the hot wire back on there was a short some where. I went along the fence in the old goat pasture pulling the long grass out from under the wire. One of the old girls snugged up behind my knees and tried to stop me from going any further, but I thought she just wanted one of the baby apples and a few scratches so I ignored her.
The next handful of grass got me a huge hornet/wasp/ground bee stinging the back of my left hand between my first two knuckles. I am pretty sure I said bad words. Eric got out the lawn mower and mowed the rest of the edge of the field. He found the ground nest and emptied a can of spray into the hole, from a safe distance.
This has been the worst year for "bees" around the farm in a long time.
This thing swelled up and aches across three fingers and down at least two joints. It is still swollen and red. I have more flexibility now and it is starting to itch. My grip was limited to about the diameter of a coffee cup until after noon. I can only imagine what it would have been if I hadn't hit the Benedryl & ice right away.
Next time, I'll listen a little closer to the goats.

Aww. Sorry you got stung. Sadly bees are on the decline...which means plants are suffering. Hate that they stung you but we need the little buggars. Just not in your fence line!! I hate the darn things..

toggpine
August 19th, 2013, 01:55 PM
I actually don't mind having bees around. They do good work, and if we didn't, our fruits and veggies wouldn't get pollinated. We are actually contemplating starting a few hives of honey bees.
I have a different opinion about wasps/hornets/ground bees and where they choose to nest. We have plenty of space that we don't use where they could make their homes. We try to catch any start-up nests before they invest too much time or energy building where it is unsafe.
I just can't have something that causes this much pain and swelling living where we have the animals graze and where we will be picking the fruit trees in a few weeks. If my daughter had been playing in the field like she usually does, and ran over the nest, I can only imagine what they would have done to her. I was several feet away and just pulling grass.