PDA

View Full Version : Some days I should stay in bed

Sandy Navas
August 16th, 2013, 07:22 PM
I had been aware this week that I had an appointment with my ophthalmologist on Thursday afternoon (yesterday). In fact, on Tuesday right before lunch they did call to confirm the appointment (automated - I hate those). I did confirm the appointment. When I arrived yesterday they could not find me in the computer for that day/time . . . after much discussion they asked if I wanted to stay and wait to be seen or come in this morning. I decided on today. So, I wind up and after much waiting, technician's work-up, etc., I saw the doctor.

Here's the kicker - my eye pressures are back up (glaucoma) they are usually higher in the mornings than in the afternoon. After many years of all kinds of treatment, there are not many options left. I do react to some of the eye drops - even though they were helpful in controlling my pressures. I have had many laser treatments to the point that they are no longer advised nor effective. The alternative? SURGERY - and he proposes that he put a titanium drain in each eye. Okay, I am up to that (I think), but I am partially blind in one eye (and obviously can't see out of the other . . . that's a joke . . . ), 20/400 with only minimal peripheral vision. So, needless to say I am quite apprehensive. I know that it is the best choice for me at this point in the treatment and totally have all the faith in the world in this doctor - but I can't help but feel . . . well, pretty distressed over it all. Not a good day in Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, that's for sure.

Not sure when the surgery will be scheduled - they will call me next week - but I can't help be . . . concerned and all of the above.

HdWench
August 16th, 2013, 07:27 PM
(((((((((Sandy))))))))) anything to do with eyes (or hands for sewing) is VERY scarey!!! I hope you have a ton of faith in this doc and please let us know when it's scheduled. You know my prayers are with you and the doctor - don't make it worse right? How scary to have to sit and wonder about your eyes to see those precious (well mostly ;-) grandkids, cook, sew and See the world!

kensington
August 16th, 2013, 07:35 PM
You are one brave woman. Back in my moms day, they'd have called you a "Broad"... one of those tough women with strong shoulders who can carry the weight of such things better than others. My mom was a good broad, so was my aunt. I am not. I am so afraid of anything touching my eyes I would have had to be revived after such news.

On the other hand, my son trotted right in an had lasiks (Sp) and can see as good as anyone.

I guess the main thing is that you have confidence in the Dr and the procedure. Past that.... it's all ... umm... what is the word I am looking for? ... It's all.... Ummm.... Margaritaville. Cause I would have to be knocked out or passed out just to go in for it.

I hope I didn't say anything offensive, This post makes me woozy. I will be praying for you. And Yes, in my professional opinion... you should have stayed in bed today girlfriend. Indeed. God Bless.

Jean Sewing Machine
August 16th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Wow, you've got so much on your plate! Hope the decision for treatment saves your vision. I'm praying for you!

Iris Girl
August 16th, 2013, 07:51 PM
I hear so many good things about eye surgeries and how they make you see better then ever. I have wore glasses since the fifth grade so I guess around 10 or 11. In my 50's now I would love to ditch the glasses. ...But I have to agree with kensy anything to do with my eyes and even a small chance i would never see again devastates my thoughts. so I', with her and would have to be knocked out or passed out.

But if your good with it then my best wishes for a good surgeon and a speedy recovery are at your door.

K. McEuen
August 16th, 2013, 07:51 PM
I'd have told the doctor he at least owed me good news since his office mucked up my appointment!

I was once asked the question which of your senses would you least like to lose. After much consideration my answer was sight. Sense of taste? To lose that would make weight loss so much easier. Hearing? I could deal with that, because I could learn sign language and to read lips. Well, you get my drift. There is so much that we can't do without our sight.

You have every right to be apprehensive and you will be, as always, in my thoughts and prayers.

Genny
August 16th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Sandy please let us know when your surgery is. Till then you'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs, Genny

Lisapc
August 16th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Well that is just really crappy news. I am praying for you and think you are very brave to be considering this surgery.

HandsOffItsMine
August 16th, 2013, 09:59 PM
(((Sandy))) Yep, in bed would have been better. Sight is a tough one to mess with. I take it that you've had second opinions and this is the best opinion at this point. I'm sure I'm going to end up with that option for my right eye - it's at 300 after all the years on the computer. I'm 53!

I have you in my prayers and like the others, wish that you let us know when the surgery is scheduled for those extra prayers and healing lights/karma that need to head your way.

Huggers my friend, Ruby and Don

Sandy Navas
August 16th, 2013, 09:59 PM
I'd have told the doctor he at least owed me good news since his office mucked up my appointment!

I was once asked the question which of your senses would you least like to lose. After much consideration my answer was sight. Sense of taste? To lose that would make weight loss so much easier. Hearing? I could deal with that, because I could learn sign language and to read lips. Well, you get my drift. There is so much that we can't do without our sight.

You have every right to be apprehensive and you will be, as always, in my thoughts and prayers.

You know what's 'funny'? A couple years ago I mentioned to this doctor that I quite often walked through the house in the dark just so I would become accustomed to possibly loosing my vision . . . and he got truly upset with me (like I needed to have more faith and stick to the prescribed treatment). But it made all the sense in the world to me. Now that there are all these munchkins - I'd be afraid to get out of bed if I couldn't see well.

Gayle8675309
August 16th, 2013, 10:06 PM
I totally understand being concerned. Anything to do with our eyesight is scary. Be sure that your doctor has a lot of experience in surgery. You have my prayers!

Mpyles
August 16th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Prayers for you!! You are such a sweetheart and brighten my world daily, I wish the best with your surgery!!

MRoy
August 16th, 2013, 10:11 PM
I'd be nervous about this surgery too. My DH lost his right eye due to an accident when he was 8 yr old and it scares both of us if he has a problem with his good eye. I'll be praying for you Sandy!

quiltingtrish
August 16th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Sandy - that would scare me too! My goodness, so therefore, you are in my prayers for the right surgery to restore or save the sight you do have. I wish I could wiggle my witches tail feathers and make everything all right for you.

(((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))),

Miss Sheri
August 16th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Aww Sandy, that was rough news indeed. I'm keeping you and your Dr. in my prayers too. Hold on to your faith and your optomism. We're here for ya sis.

Nidan_07
August 16th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Sandy, All the very best to you. I hope that you can get whatever treatment option you decide to take is successful. I am sure that the doc will give you the best advice and outcomes.

New York Sue
August 16th, 2013, 10:46 PM
JEEZ. My heart dropped and you LOST me at titanium drains...
WTH?
I'm thinking just DO IT. Not with the Doc who has done 15, or 30 of these procedures to date.
The guy/gal that does THAT many in a week. Travel wherever you need to, Sandy.
It's your VISION.
;)

PeggyM
August 16th, 2013, 11:09 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry. I think I would also give up taste, but after the hooo haaa around here with the fam tonight, I might go with hearing. Wait...no. Then I couldn't hear "I yub you".

Sandy Navas
August 17th, 2013, 12:34 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry. I think I would also give up taste, but after the hooo haaa around here with the fam tonight, I might go with hearing. Wait...no. Then I couldn't hear "I yub you".

Never thought about the hearing . . . wonder if I could do an exchange. Al and I have stopped having dinner with the kids (they usually eat much earlier than we'd like anyway, since they have dinner with Daddy before he heads to work) and one of the reasons is not only the table being crowded, but I just can't deal with the noise.

I hear you about the I yub you's though.

lilmouse
August 17th, 2013, 12:45 AM
Sandy, I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers...I have been wearing glasses since I was two....yes two...wouldn't know what to do without them...but drains in your eyes...never heard of it....do whatever you think is best! I am behind you 100 %. Please keep us posted!

ilive2craft2
August 17th, 2013, 12:53 AM
Sandy, I am sorry you are having to go through this. Will keep you and yor doc in my prayers. Keep us posted.

bec
August 17th, 2013, 12:54 AM
Sandy...so sorry to hear that. I pray that all goes well with your surgery. Hugs.

Shirley
August 17th, 2013, 01:12 AM
Thinking of you Sandy! Please keep us updated.

MayinJerset
August 17th, 2013, 02:48 AM
Oh, Sandy your post made me shiver. I guess I'm one of those who freeze at the thought of anything to do with my eyes.
Also get that feeling about my knees as I have dislocated my left knee many times over the years. It's a lot of fun thinking about going to the orthopedic doctor for the advanced arthritis in that knee, then sitting in the exam room looking at all the charts with knee joints and knee replacement parts while I wait for him. He is very gentle when touching both of my knees but one day he will do the wrong thing and my knee reflex will hit him in a very personal place.

Cathy F
August 17th, 2013, 03:03 AM
Sandy, I will be thinking of you and sending you healing thoughts for a positive outcome.

bakermom
August 17th, 2013, 04:19 AM
will be keeping you my prayers.
for what it 's worth, my mom had the tubes put in about 10 yrs. ago because the drops were no longer doing the job for her. she was 80 at the time. Came thru it fine. It did make a big difference for her, and her pressure is still in a good range now at 90.

dwil23
August 17th, 2013, 05:01 AM
Oh, Sandy, so sorry to hear you are facing this. I will keep you in my prayers that your vision will be better than ever after this surgery. I, for one, can't stand even eyedrops in my eyes, so the thought of eye surgery sends me over the edge.

(((HUGS)))

Lissau
August 17th, 2013, 10:37 AM
aawww (((((((((Sandy))))))))))) my dear friend l hope everyone goes well with your surgery and you can see really well again soon ...l love you ...chin up my friend

CrazyMtnLady
August 17th, 2013, 11:37 AM
You are in my prayers everyday. I hope they can do the surgery soon so that you will heal and be able to see those beautiful grandbabies clearly for many many years to come.

Madeforyouinma11
August 17th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Keeping you in my prayers. Please keep us posted on when your surgery will be. Just keep thinking positive thoughts!

BellasQuilts
August 17th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Sandy, so sorry to hear this. However, don't be too scared. Doctors can do wonderful things now, so chin up. Be sure your doctor has performed this surgery many, many times. prayers going out for a successful surgery. Hugs.

Wwena
August 17th, 2013, 01:01 PM
I don't blame you, I'd be nervous too! The eyes and the eyesight are so central to our lives. I'm glad you have faith in the doctor, it will make it easier I hope.

Big hugs!!

SuzyQue
August 17th, 2013, 01:05 PM
I am so sorry to hear this news! I would be terrified, either option doesn't seem great........but that said, I will be praying for you! I must agree that losing your eyesight would be the worst sense to lose and that anyone doing surgery on your eyes must be highly trusted! Please let us know when this surgery is scheduled! May God restore your eyes to better than they have ever been!