PDA

View Full Version : Scare of my life

Iris Girl
August 10th, 2013, 09:37 PM
So my hubby wants to go to town to get some parts hes doing a brake job on my sons car. Ok works I need to return something to walmart. We go to the parts store get the brake parts all is good I had the brake money in an envelope.
We go to home depot to get a tool. All good I used the money from the envelope. we go to walmart and I get to the window to do my return , its without a receipt so I need my license. NO WALLET in my pocketbook. Panic moment. He shows his license and we go look at fabric. no christmas fabric in yet. All the time my brain is racking WHERE IS MY WALLET. We get home and all he wants to do is show the kids the parts he got for the brake job...WHERE IS MY WALLET. I remember ordering something online and using my CC so I run to the computer. NO wallet, Now the kids are running around looking everywhere. Bathroom, in the laundry I brought in , In the garbage NO WALLET. meanwhile hubby just says well you never lose things so its here somewhere. I can't remember if I ever put it back after my online ordering or did it fall out in the parking lot at the auto parts store. I am panicking. I check the car nothing check the house again, nothing, check my work tote, nothing. Finally my son checks the car...ITS UNDER MY SEAT!!!! Thank you someone found it. Hubbys response why was your pocketbook open how did it spill out? I said this pocketbook has no top closure. GUESS what its in the garbage and I am back to the one I made that zips on top. He acts like it was nothing. I am still shaking... wait till he looses his wallet or glasses next time....

sorry for a long story just had to vent

Doloris
August 10th, 2013, 09:42 PM
every once in a while when I am with DH I don't take my purse, just put ID and cc in my pocket. The worst is when I go out the next day and look for debit/credit and it's not in my purse I panic until I can get home and check my pants pocket to make sure I didn't lose it.

PeggyM
August 10th, 2013, 10:17 PM
I completely feel your panic level. I have never lost my keys, driver's license credit card, etc. I have had them misdirected from my view a time or two.

Nidan_07
August 10th, 2013, 10:22 PM
That is one of the worst feelings. I have done this before, and I felt physically sick until I found it. It is such a worry to think about someone having hold of your personal i.d. and credit cards. So glad it all worked out for you.

MRoy
August 10th, 2013, 10:27 PM
So glad your wallet was found. This is exactly why I don't like or carry purses that are open or just snap at the top. I carry everything but the kitchen sink in my purse and it has to have a zipper.

MayinJerset
August 10th, 2013, 10:44 PM
My purses also have to have a zipper closing, if not for closing the entire purse but certainly for section where I keep my wallet and anything else of value. DH gets annoyed with me when I check out anywhere because I stay next to the register for a few seconds and make sure I put my receipt and change or credit card safely into my purse. It is worth those few seconds to be safe, not sorry. He just shoves the stuff into his pocket or leaves the receipt in the bag, then when he can't find the receipt he asks me what I did with it. He gets an earful from me when he does that.

auntiemern
August 10th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Glad you found it. Men just don't get it. We carry our lives in our purses and wallets. Scary when you can't find it.

Lisapc
August 10th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Thank goodness it was found.

lilmouse
August 10th, 2013, 11:53 PM
Glad you found it....my purse was stolen years ago and I will never forget that sick feeling!

Sharyn J
August 11th, 2013, 12:15 AM
Oh, I'm so glad you found it. I had used my card for an online order. Next day, I couldn't find it anywhere! I panicked, and after hours of looking, called the bank. They immediately cancelled the card and would send a new one. Of course, you know that I found it right after I made the phone call. I put it on the kitchen counter and then somehow placed a loaf of bread on top of it. I was so distraught over loosing the card that I decided to settle my nerves, sit down and make myself a sandwich. Yup, the card was stuck to the package. I felt stupid but glad I found it.

quiltingtrish
August 11th, 2013, 12:38 AM
Talking about wallets missing.
A news report I saw on tv here last night about 'sliders'. It's the new thing apparently at a gas station. While you are pumping your gas and not paying attention except to stare at the gas pump, someone slides over to a passenger door and takes whatever is sitting there on your seat - wallet, purse, cards, laptops, phones, etc. So, they suggest you lock your car while you are pumping gas. Or at the very least, lock all the doors except your drivers door.
Funny thing, I always lock my car whenever I leave it - even for just a few seconds/minutes. Doesn't matter where I am. I could even be out in the middle of nowhere and someone says - oh, you don't have to lock your car here - uh, yes, I do. Never thought about sliders and never heard of it until last night. So, watch your backs people.
I'm glad you found your wallet - that gives me a sick feeling when I misplace something too.

Hugs,

nyscpa2be
August 11th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Talking about wallets missing.
A news report I saw on tv here last night about 'sliders'. It's the new thing apparently at a gas station. While you are pumping your gas and not paying attention except to stare at the gas pump, someone slides over to a passenger door and takes whatever is sitting there on your seat - wallet, purse, cards, laptops, phones, etc. So, they suggest you lock your car while you are pumping gas. Or at the very least, lock all the doors except your drivers door.
Funny thing, I always lock my car whenever I leave it - even for just a few seconds/minutes. Doesn't matter where I am. I could even be out in the middle of nowhere and someone says - oh, you don't have to lock your car here - uh, yes, I do. Never thought about sliders and never heard of it until last night. So, watch your backs people.

I've heard of a worse one. A woman was at the gas station late at night, and paid by credit card at the pump. As she was finishing, the clerk got on the intercom and said "there is a problem with your CC, please come inside immediately." The woman got upset, and said she had her confirmation receipt, and was leaving. The clerk responded "There is an issue with your CC. You need to come inside immediatly, I'm calling the cops." The customer was very frustrated by this point, but went inside to confront the clerk. The clerk told her that she saw a thug get into the back seat of her car while she was pumping - apparently, this was a new gang thing in the area - to sneak into a car while a single woman was pumping gas, and abduct the woman. Police were called, and he was arrested. Now I lock my doors everywhere!

janluna
August 11th, 2013, 02:13 AM
And another thing I heard is, if you lock your doors with your keyless entry remote that most people have now, someone can get the signal and then after you walk away they unlock your door and proceed to take everything they want. GPS units, a purse, wallet, radio, cd player and cds etc.
They are telling people to lock your doors with the lock switch on the drivers door or the door button on each door. They can't get the signal that way. Crooks just keep learning new tricks all the time. Like Trish, I lock my doors whenever I leave the car no matter how long I'm going to be
away from the car. Now, I even lock it getting gas.
That person who saved the lady getting gas, deserves a gold star for thinking quick in an emergency. I hope I could do the same. Our world has just turned upside down. Use to be things like this was alarming and almost unheard of and now it is common, everyday, fare. Very scary out there. Jan L.

bkthomas
August 11th, 2013, 02:51 AM
I am so glad you found your wallet!

Iris Girl
August 11th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Thank you all for your kind words. I did feel much better after finding it was able to sleep last night but I swear I aged 1 years. I am not one to lose important things like wallets etc that is hubbys job. And usually my pocketbook has a zipper top . just needed to wash the one I made and had been using for a year so purchased a cute summer print one with a small snap flap...never again.

May I agree 100% on taking those few seconds to tuck your CC and wallet and change in securely. As a cashier I tell all my ladies who struggle to do this but don't want to hold up the line. Take your time put it away correctly and close the zipper, the next person will wait and also get the same curtesy from me. When I hand back licenses and CC I always tell them to put them away now.

Trish04
August 11th, 2013, 07:38 AM
So glad you found it. I have been there so scary at the time.

Quilted Fantasies
August 11th, 2013, 08:40 AM
My DH says things are always in the last place you look. Smart aleck.

Bubby
August 11th, 2013, 08:47 AM
That's an awful feeling, especially in these times when identity theft is so common. So glad it was found...yay for your son!

Marebear
August 11th, 2013, 09:45 AM
I'm so glad you found it!!

I remember once when my kids were small, my habit was to put my purse on the top of my car and then buckle them into their car seats. I drove off once with my bag on top. I luckily got all of my stuff back, but it taught me a lesson :D

MayinJerset
August 11th, 2013, 12:19 PM
I'm so glad you found it!!

I remember once when my kids were small, my habit was to put my purse on the top of my car and then buckle them into their car seats. I drove off once with my bag on top. I luckily got all of my stuff back, but it taught me a lesson :D

How about putting your cup of DD coffee on the roof and it was still there when I got to work!

Good advice Trish about sliders, not a problem for me as here in Jersey you don't pump your own gas. I don't use my credit card to pay for gas as the stations usually charge a fee but it is a good idea to lock your car whenever you get out of it. We lock our cars in our driveway as last year they were broken into, nothing taken as we don't leave stuff in the cars. Police told us to lock our cars as groups go around searching cars for GPS, cells, etc. They did eventually find the breakin guys and they went to jail.

Blondie
August 11th, 2013, 03:24 PM
I was shaking right along with you, April. I can't remember the times this year alone I have misplaced, lost, etc different things. The other week, I went to the grocer's and left my entire handbag in the cart after I loaded the groceries. I didn't miss it until I reached for it in a drive thru line to get a sweet tea. OY! Sped back and the buggy was still where I left it and so was my hand bag.
I am seriously re thinking the days of fanny packs. I used to think they were stupid but these days they sound appealing to me

lilmouse
August 11th, 2013, 11:05 PM
Blondie, I have done the same thing except in my case a good samaritan turned it into the courtesy desk and I got it back with everything in it!