PDA

View Full Version : I Have NO patience for this behaviour. PERIOD.

New York Sue
August 4th, 2013, 10:56 AM
I clocked out of work this morning, on time. Two of my coworkers lingered a bit longer, assuring me they were right behind me. One of them just posted on FB general details that occurred after I left. That being, how her 12 hour shift became a 14 hour shift, (seems she got involved in some cross-fire, EXACTLY why I make it practice to clock out on time...)

So I messaged her and asked 'what the heck happened after I left'?

Then it occurred to me, as her mobile device is tracking her, and we're bantering back and forth. She's NOT at home. She's DRIVING while TEXTING! REALLY?

You traveled back and forth to China, THREE times to complete your family. And you're SO STUCK on your hand held device, you're willing to make those three adorable kids orphans AGAIN?

This was a completely benign discussion that could have occurred many HOURS later.
Or even tomorrow...

STOP the world. I have to get off!

Lisapc
August 4th, 2013, 11:01 AM
It truly drives me crazy when I see people texting/talking on their phones while driving. Here is another biggie for me. I am tired of no matter where you are I see a child, any age from infant to teenage years trying desperately to get there mothers help or attention but can't because Mom has just got to answer that text!

Sandy Navas
August 4th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Does she show her ignorance at work, too? What an absolute doofus!!

New York Sue
August 4th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Does she show her ignorance at work, too? What an absolute doofus!!

She is actually a very diligent worker.
And her kids have every opportunity IMAGINABLE, to a U.S. family. SO loved and nurtured.
People are LOSING their minds over this CRAP. It's SO upsetting.

GuitarGramma
August 4th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Did you tell her to stop?

New York Sue
August 4th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Did you tell her to stop?

I plan to. I just don't want to come off as some 'old fart'.

But, perhaps that is my role now!

WOOHOO! I have become my MIL....

Someone has to do it.

GuitarGramma
August 4th, 2013, 11:54 AM
I know it will be hard to say something, but you would be doing those three precious children the most wonderful favor. Here in CA, even reading a text while driving carries a hefty fine.

Will Smith made the saddest movie about the tragedy that texting/driving can be.

lilmouse
August 4th, 2013, 11:58 AM
I love to text...but never when I am driving! It drives me crazy....and is so dangerous...if it is important I will pull over and stop the car before I would even attempt to read or answer a text!

bdmsmith
August 4th, 2013, 12:12 PM
My sister is bad for having her phone and texting all the time. She will come to visit and will keep answering texts or posting on fb. Once I realize it and after a couple times of me saying something and her ignoring me I will generally get in front of her and yell "HELLO"! or my husband will make comments like 'it's nice your sister came to visit and spend quality time with you' or he will tell her to put the phone down. It's scary because I'm sure she does it while driving too because it seems to be attached to her hand.

Iris Girl
August 4th, 2013, 12:50 PM
another reason why I refuse to own such devices. I have a tracfone in case I need help and thats when it gets turned on. My tv is at home as are my computer and my kindle, thats where they get used. I for one think the world was a nicer friendlier place before all this gadgetry...Try being the cashier in a store and doing what you have to (being pleasant asking how they are, if they found all they needed etc and being ignored by an ignoramus who can't put thier cell phone down. better yet having your conversation interrupted because they MUST pick up the phone..better yet having them hold the entire line up because they need to download the app NOW to use the coupon. People have become so selfish and self centered. I will stay a backwoods country girl without those so called conveniences. Sorry for the rant

bhaggerty
August 4th, 2013, 01:04 PM
I have personally been rear-ended by another car when I AM STOPPED AT A RED LIGHT because the person was texting and didn't see the red light (or my huge SUV), not once, not twice, BUT 3 TIMES IN the past 5 years!!!!
And they all admitted to it as well! Hope their car insurance rates went up because when I was phone interviewed on all 3 occasions by their insurance companies (3 different ones of course) I told them after I was hit I looked in the rear-view mirror and they were either talking on the phone or texting.
now I have a SuperBumper on the back of my van!

DCM
August 4th, 2013, 01:27 PM
It really frightens me when I look in my rear view mirror and the person behind me is looking down way more than they're looking up -- I know they're texting. I have texting on my phone but will NOT text or read texts while driving. I get so annoyed when I'm in the grocery store and someone thinks the rest of the store wants to hear their whole conversation. I also hate it when I'm at the doctor's office and bring my kindle to catch up on reading and there's a rude person sitting there talking on their cell loud enough for the whole room to hear. The last time it was a guy who was calling another doctor's office to get his wife's test results -- not only did he spell out her whole name but he loudly gave them her social security number, too, and she was sitting right there and didn't care! I see more and more families in restaurants where every person is using some electronic device and they don't speak to each other at all. It's very sad -- I liked the good old days when cell phones didn't exist and you actually talked with another person on a phone that sat in your living room or was on the kitchen wall. I want the good old days back.

Mpyles
August 4th, 2013, 01:32 PM
I plan to. I just don't want to come off as some 'old fart'.

But, perhaps that is my role now!

WOOHOO! I have become my MIL....

Someone has to do it.
Perhaps when you can speak to her you can just say.....hey if I am texting you and you are driving, don't worry about replying to me, I want you around for those kiddies. Would hate to attend your funeral or visit you in prison because you were responding to me.

cyndiofthevortex
August 4th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Our foster grandson's life has been turned upside down because of texting. His father is in jail for three years for maiming another driver while driving and texting. The other driver will never walk again nor have any kind of a normal life. Christopher's mother, when she bothers to have a visit with him (only four times in five months, but that's another rant) spends her whole time when visiting with him texting or talking on her phone. But at least then she isn't driving. It is a dangerous practice to text and drive that can ruin lives. Thankfully it is illegal in our state and in Massachusetts where we often visit. Check out your state laws. And I'd recommend you say something to her, as awkward as that will be. And possibly useless, too. But it would give you peace of mind, especially if something were to happen.

Suzette
August 4th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Drives me crazy too! We have laws against it here in my town, but that doesn't stop people from texting and driving. And while I can certainly understand why you would want to mention the stupidity of texting and driving to your co-worker, I can't imagine it will do any good. She certainly already knows the dangers (and the legalities) of texting and driving, yet she is still doing it. I have a favorite saying that seems to apply here - you can't fix stupid.

GrammaBabs
August 4th, 2013, 02:05 PM
I'm with Iris...beware where this has taken us all.. I drive little and pray for the younger generation that just doesn't get it!

auntiemern
August 4th, 2013, 02:44 PM
The smart phones and all that texting is just pure evil. It WILL be the bain of our existence.

alliek
August 4th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Cell phones are great to have, they are an assurance for us when either I or my DH go out. My DD travels a great deal and they afford the peace that she arrived safely at her destination or home. I love to text my GD's as a way to keep in touch,BUT... I tell them if I EVER SEE or HEAR that you were driving and talking or texting it will be the last of "sweet Nana" they every come across. I would definitely tell this person, even if she is insulted. You will have put the warning in her mind, and you might have saved lives. That's how I look at it.

pcbatiks
August 4th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Hi Sue and other forum friends..............If you have a picture of your co-workers children available try this..........go online and show her the "texting while driving" videos from AT&T......the ones where real people are talking about losing loved one who were texting while driving. They are excellent ads and they are heartbreaking but true. Show her the ads first and then hand her the picture of her sweet children and ask her what is more important her precious children or the Stupid text messages!!!

It is sad to think that the only people who might be truly affected by those AT&T ads are the ones of us who have enough sense not to text and drive in the first place.

This subject makes my blood boil !!!!!!!!!!

pcbatiks
August 4th, 2013, 04:52 PM
I have personally been rear-ended by another car when I AM STOPPED AT A RED LIGHT because the person was texting and didn't see the red light (or my huge SUV), not once, not twice, BUT 3 TIMES IN the past 5 years!!!!
And they all admitted to it as well! Hope their car insurance rates went up because when I was phone interviewed on all 3 occasions by their insurance companies (3 different ones of course) I told them after I was hit I looked in the rear-view mirror and they were either talking on the phone or texting.
now I have a SuperBumper on the back of my van!

This is frightening!

Iris Girl
August 4th, 2013, 05:26 PM
I'm with Iris...beware where this has taken us all.. I drive little and pray for the younger generation that just doesn't get it!

The smart phones and all that texting is just pure evil. It WILL be the bain of our existence.

AMEN SISTERS. this coming from the non religious person. I do believe this new generation needs to pull their heads and hands from where they are and look people in the face and actually talk.

K. McEuen
August 4th, 2013, 05:53 PM
There are a lot of rude and stupid people in the world. Take the phone out of their hand and there is a good chance they will still be rude and/or stupid.

Manners and intelligence are two things that affect the way a person uses a cell phone or any other device.

Driving while talking on the phone without a handsfree device and texting is illegal here as well. The sad thing is the cops can't pull the person over for that, they have to have another reason to stop them first, ie. speeding, broken tail light, etc. and then they can ticket them for the phone violation. I think they should just pull them over under the "reckless driving" reason and ticket them all.

pcbatiks
August 4th, 2013, 06:27 PM
There are a lot of rude and stupid people in the world. Take the phone out of their hand and there is a good chance they will still be rude and/or stupid.

Manners and intelligence are two things that affect the way a person uses a cell phone or any other device.

I love, love, love this comment, Karen!!! So very well said!! This comment about manners and intelligence should be printed on T-shirts and bumper stickers everywhere!

My son and his GF came over today.......they are both 22 years old. I have to say that I was proud of them both.......I didn't see their cell phones the whole time they were here.........I think they left them in the car! I pray they never text and drive!

Slokarma
August 4th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Driving home the other day, about 50 mph, i was behind a guy on the motorcycle and I noticed he kept looking down at his hand, that was in front of his chest. Eventually it looked like he put something in his left chest pocket and then his hand went back on the handle.........that was when I knew he was reading texts......are you kidding me?

Lissau
August 4th, 2013, 08:29 PM
And here l am 47 years old and l'll never be a mother and we spent 18 years doing the ivf program and we lost 22 embryos ...1 of which was my 1 and only pregnancy and it took 11 years to achieve and the baby (embryo) died at 8 weeks into the pregnancy and we lost it...shaking my head

bubba
August 4th, 2013, 08:52 PM
There are laws here as well. Working as a dispatcher, you would be amazed to see how many people are stopped for using their cell phones while driving. As soon as I get in my car, my ear bud goes on. I do not text, read text or anything else while driving. If I feel I have to make a call, it's when I am in a parking lot stopped.

One of the men I work with got a ticket from the state patrol for talking on his cell phone...he didn't get any sympathy from any of us. This was after we listened to him chastise his mom for doing the same thing!! I have physically taken the phone from my daughters hands while riding with her with her three children in the back seat, texting away, even after I asked her to stop....boy did that make her mad!!! I really didn't care!

When we are eating dinner, we do not answer the phone at home, and we never answer a cell in a restaurant...EVER! It makes me crazy to see a family out for dinner and seeing one or both of the parents on their cells while the kids just sit there....that is not a family dinner!

Time to go lower my blood pressure now.....

Sandy Navas
August 4th, 2013, 10:35 PM
This is a reason for justifiable homicide:

Texting at the Mall?.Tragic! | Free Time (http://freetime.hollandvtc.org/texting-at-the-mall-tragic/)

Momofmonsters5
August 5th, 2013, 12:20 AM
My phone is paired with my car for that reason. If I get a call I can answer it with my steering wheel and hang up with my steering wheel

Momofmonsters5
August 5th, 2013, 12:24 AM
There are laws here as well. Working as a dispatcher, you would be amazed to see how many people are stopped for using their cell phones while driving. As soon as I get in my car, my ear bud goes on. I do not text, read text or anything else while driving. If I feel I have to make a call, it's when I am in a parking lot stopped.

One of the men I work with got a ticket from the state patrol for talking on his cell phone...he didn't get any sympathy from any of us. This was after we listened to him chastise his mom for doing the same thing!! I have physically taken the phone from my daughters hands while riding with her with her three children in the back seat, texting away, even after I asked her to stop....boy did that make her mad!!! I really didn't care!

When we are eating dinner, we do not answer the phone at home, and we never answer a cell in a restaurant...EVER! It makes me crazy to see a family out for dinner and seeing one or both of the parents on their cells while the kids just sit there....that is not a family dinner!

Time to go lower my blood pressure now.....

We have teenagers, we all have a no electronic device rule at the dinner table. I shock the kids friends when they come over lol they can't even be sitting on the table and no one is allowed to leave the table to answer any messages...except for DH, he's in the Army but even his phone is not allowed at the table. Parents really need to establish boundaries.

Andrea F
August 5th, 2013, 04:08 AM
Texting or making a call while driving is forbidden here as well, unless you use a hands-free kit. The other day when I drove to work on the highway I saw a man driving on the fast lane and he was actually READING A BOOK while driving after we all passed a little bit of a jam and took up speed again. He had it laid over the steering wheel. I have no words for this...

DCM
August 5th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Another thing that's dangerous is women who have turned their rear view mirror toward them so they can apply mascara, lipstick, or redo their hair WHILE DRIVING! I don't understand why it can't be a law that police can pull people over if they are texting, on a cell phone, reading, applying makeup, etc. without another reason such as speeding, expired plates, etc. Same should be true for those not wearing seat belts (especially when it's obviously a small child not properly secured in a car seat).

MartinaG
August 5th, 2013, 02:48 PM
I can barely text when I am sitting down with nothing else to do. lol I plan to keep it that way.