PDA

View Full Version : A few thoughts about Hawaii

bkthomas
August 2nd, 2013, 10:37 PM
1. I was amazed at how many different kinds of palm trees there are!!!
Seemed like every time I thought I had seen them all, I would see yet another!

2. There are only 12 letters in the Hawaiian alphabet!!!
I love listening to Hawaiian music - never get tired of it, especially songs with lyrics sung in Hawaiian - what a beautiful sounding language!

3. Here's a good one - on the subject of trees - the evergreens are different, interesting - I told Roxy that and she said they are ALL evergreens! Little smart a$$

4. I think I may have been Hawaiian in a past life! I am crazy about Hawaii - I wanna go back - I can't get enough of it!!! I keep going to youtube and playing all the different videos people have posted of the Canoe Pageant at The PCC! I found out about this famous singer IZ who has passed away - what a beautiful voice!!!! I have heard him sing "Somewhere over The Rainbow" but did not really know anything about him till now. Too bad he is gone already.

5.Hula Honeys Love anything that has them on it!!! Island Hula Honeys at Island Heritage (http://www.islandheritage.com/collections/island-hula-honeys/c479/p1)

I'm sure there are other things to but I will add them as I remember....so stay tuned! He He

pcbatiks
August 2nd, 2013, 11:21 PM
Hey Kathy,

I'm familiar with Somewhere Over the Rainbow song by IZ........beautiful rendition! Don't remember how I found it ....but when I did I put the song on part of the slideshow for my parents 50th anniversary party. It went perfectly with the pictures of them growing up.........and the song is so relaxing!

Glad you had such a great time in Hawaii.

bubba
August 2nd, 2013, 11:35 PM
I love the Hawaiian singers too....and the warmth....and the beauty.

Oh, and this song, says everything! These Islands - Danny Couch lyrics - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOLo9-gSxnI)

Judy~Ann
August 2nd, 2013, 11:36 PM
Kathy I totally understand what you feel about Hawaii.
The first time I stepped off an airplane (it was on the Big Island) ... I felt as if I'd come home. It was amazing and the feeling grows stronger with each trip.
We lived on Oahu for ten years when my hubby was in the air force... raised our children there ... and love love love the islands... the people... all of it. We have spent many vacations there since we retired and are heading back in October.

Grandma G
August 3rd, 2013, 12:11 AM
4. I think I may have been Hawaiian in a past life! I am crazy about Hawaii - I wanna go back - I can't get enough of it!!! I keep going to youtube and playing all the different videos people have posted of the Canoe Pageant at The PCC! I found out about this famous singer IZ who has passed away - what a beautiful voice!!!! I have heard him sing "Somewhere over The Rainbow" but did not really know anything about him till now. Too bad he is gone already.

Kathy - about "Izzy" - His given name is Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. His voice was an incredible gift to us all. I first heard his version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" many years ago on the TV medical drama "ER". It was when one of the doctor's was dying of cancer and his daughter, I believe, put a set of head phones on him and this is the music you heard playing. That was how the episode ended and he passed away. Talk about a tear jerker. He has several albums out and the one I bought was "Facing Future" with "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" included. I love that album. I got it through Amazon. As I said, they have several of his albums. As a side note - he passed away when he was about 38. He was married and had a child, I believe. He was incredibly loved and respected by the Hawaiian people and his body lay in state at the capital when he died and the flags were lowered to half-staff.

Anyway, thought you might find that interesting. You really need to get one of his albums. It will take you back to Hawaii!!

Lisapc
August 3rd, 2013, 12:54 AM
I am so happy that you spent some time there. I would love to see you go back again and again. I used to fantasize about going with my sexy hubby for a honeymoon. Never had that honeymoon so now I fantasize about going when we are old but still young enough to want to be on the beach for a while.

You are so happy since this trip I really hope you can hang onto it by planning your next one.

Jean Sewing Machine
August 3rd, 2013, 01:01 AM
We LOVE Iz! Somewhere Over The Rainbow sung by him is our family song, we get all teary when we hear him sing it. My daughter got married in Hawaii, that's when we bought his CDs. Sadly he passed away too young from complications brought on by his obesity. What a pure clear voice he had!

See Grandma G's story about the show ER. The doctor died of a brain tumor, the same thing my husband died of. That is why we get all choked up when we hear it.

We felt the same about Hawaii, we didn't want to leave!

bkthomas
August 3rd, 2013, 06:52 AM
Thanks for all your wonderful comments - I knew I wouldn't be the only one that loves Hawaii

HandsOffItsMine
August 3rd, 2013, 09:06 AM
My heart is still in Makaha Valley and will always be... My ashes, along with my Mams, will be leave in a Hawaiian ceremony out of Ko O'lina lagoon.

We're very happy to be here in Atlanta with our grandbabies and Kat/Matt. Nothing can replace seeing/feeling the love and hugs of Zander, Oliver and Penny. Plus being able to help Kat and seeing her so happy, less stress with Matt's health issues.

Yet our simple life out in the country in Makaha, where Iz is from, was home to us. The Hawaiians and Locals became our friends/family within no time, the area is beautiful, wildlife abundant. Izzie's music is on our iPods, iMacs, cds in our car.

People say it will be a great memory, but it pulls on my heart, it was HOME...

Monique
August 3rd, 2013, 01:07 PM
Kathy, you need to move there.

bkthomas
August 9th, 2013, 02:59 AM
Kathy, you need to move there.

You know Monique, You may be onto something there! I have been learning a lot about Hawaii....
Little known facts, the language and history - I would like to learn to speak Hawaiian! - I have never wanted to learn another language more!
I seem to have a constant desire to read about Hawaii.....I believe that it should have been kept a sovereign nation.
I would like to learn their language and somehow help the Native People have a stronger say in how their state is governed.
They are slowly gaining this in the past few years!

Sew Perfect
August 9th, 2013, 03:50 AM
I have always wanted to go to Hawaii. Thanks to thread, I want to go even more.

kensington
August 9th, 2013, 03:59 AM
Husband has been there, I love the pictures. I won a scrapbooking contest with some of his pictures! I'm going someday. Wanted to go this year. God had other plans, but He will let me know when it's time. I'd move there.

Hawaii Roxy
August 9th, 2013, 04:37 AM
Husband has been there, I love the pictures. I won a scrapbooking contest with some of his pictures! I'm going someday. Wanted to go this year. God had other plans, but He will let me know when it's time. I'd move there.

We have a spare bedroom with a queen size bed and tv HINT HINT HINT!!!!!!!

Andrea F
August 9th, 2013, 05:21 AM
Ive never thought about visiting Hawaii, but thanks to your wonderful pictures I seem to be somehow infected. I would love to visit Hawaii now, just have to convince my hubby ;) Well, maybe some day...