PDA

View Full Version : Not a good night at all for DD



RFREE
July 26th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Not a good night for my DD at all today.My DD had some sort of severe allergy attack at 9 oclock last night. She has sneezed her head off and all of her sinus passages are slammed shut. When I say that I mean we immediately tried 50mg benadryl ,4 hours later severe allergy medicine and 4 hours after that she took Ibuprofen with absolutely no effect what so ever. In between we have tried herbal tea and mint steam. She sat with her head covered over a boiling hot pan of mint water and NOTHING.......I just got back from Walmart at 4 am and bought Vicks salve. Made her rub it under her nose and plaster it on her upper chest right in the car before we ever pulled out of the parking lot,just knowing her nose would break lose but NOOOOOO NOTHING!!! Then we tried to put vicks in boiling water and she stood over the stove with a towel over her head again and guess what? She still can't breath out of her nose. Bless her heart she has been up all night long.I may have to take her to the Dr. for a steroid shot. Her nose is even noticeably swollen across her face. This thing came on her all of a sudden. We were sitting in her room talking/ She hasn't been sick at all and she has done this a couple times in the past years but this is the worst.The other attacks usually pass within 45 minutes with no ill effects. I just don't know what else to do for her.

She got stung by a wasp at noon yesterday but I don't think that would cause a reaction 9 hours later do yall? It made a huge welt on her stomach but that was all initially.
Anybody have any ideas??? This kid is miserable!!

Monique
July 26th, 2013, 08:12 AM
I feel sorry for her. I hope she gets relief and SOON. Maybe a trip to the dr is in order after all.

Jernmegmom
July 26th, 2013, 09:30 AM
That's terrible! I'm not a Dr. but given that she did get a wasp sting the day before I think you may need to consider that as the most likely culprit.

I would definitely take her to see the Dr. ASAP. If she is having reactions that serious you may want a prescription for an EpiPen.

Lisapc
July 26th, 2013, 10:24 AM
I would have her on daily Claritan just because she tends to have reactions. Then for this I would have doubled up the Benadryl. Still no effect 3 hrs later it would have been off to the ER.

My daughter was so allergic to poison ivy her face literally sliced itself open when she was 6 yrs old. We had been driving and smelled someone burning something. Her window was open a bit. That was around 7 at night, in the morning before school it looked like she had a cat scratch on her face. By 11 am her teacher wanted to call an ambulance or a priest because she was seeing the slices all over my daughters face. Steroids by iv and then another 2 weeks by mouth. Allergies are not fun.

Shirley
July 26th, 2013, 10:30 AM
I would definitely get her to the Dr. Hope she gets better soon.

Sandy Navas
July 26th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Sending hugs and prayers and a quick solution and relief!

SuzyQue
July 26th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Yes, I think I would call the Doc! I hope she gets relief soon, but allergies are not something to mess with and you all need your sleep!!!I will pray for her.

HandsOffItsMine
July 26th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Prayers for the little one and get her to a doctor asap. Allergies are nothing to mess with.

RFREE
July 26th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Thanks everybody.At about 6 this morning she finally fell asleep.Snoring so loud I had to leave the room. I woke her up just now to see if she was breathing out her nose but only one nare is open. She doesn't want to go to the Dr. but I think a trip this afternoon is where we will be headed regardless. If I had had an epipen I certainly would have used it. I just got off the phone with one of my brothers and he said he has had the exact same thing happen to him 3 different times on the last 6 years. So bad he remembers each time.Unlike this one for Holly they passed within a few minutes. I find it bizzare that a wasp could cause this 9 hours later,but I guess it is possible. Thanks for all your responses. I'm gonna ask for a script for an epipen no matter what happens.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 26th, 2013, 12:34 PM
So sorry to hear about your harrowing night of allergies. Hope you can get to the bottom of what caused her problem.

Genny
July 26th, 2013, 12:42 PM
I wouldn't hesitate, I'd call the doctor. Hope she gets to feeling better soon.

alliek
July 26th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Absolutely get that epi-pen. My DD also is highly allergic to Sumac. She was outside raking while a neighbor was burning leaves and stuff a block away. She inhaled smoke and apparently Sumac, she was one very sick girl. So now she is well aware of her problem as you are, take the precautions ahead of time. I pray your DD is doing OK and feeling better.;)

nyscpa2be
July 26th, 2013, 12:55 PM
It's definetly possible for a wasp sting to cause allergies like that after 9 hours. So sorry she has to go through this! I would def get the epipen - it can be a lifesaver - I have 4 of them for food allergies.

cyndiofthevortex
July 26th, 2013, 01:04 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that she is going through this. How scary! I'll definitely pray for her, that she heals quickly and that this doesn't happen again.

janluna
July 26th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Saying Prayers for your DD. I agree with the rest, she should go see the DR. It is so hard sometimes to know when to panic for your kid. I know how hard my Son and his wife try not to panic with Emily. And my Son is a paramedic! Hugs, and Prayers, Jan L.

RFREE
July 26th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Saying Prayers for your DD. I agree with the rest, she should go see the DR. It is so hard sometimes to know when to panic for your kid. I know how hard my Son and his wife try not to panic with Emily. And my Son is a paramedic! Hugs, and Prayers, Jan L.

Thanks everybody. Jan I am a nurse for almost 20 years and I had no idea a sting could cause such a delayed reaction. I have never been panicky even in my job and esp. with her.Kids tend to flip out if you flip out ya know. So with that being said I did take her to the Dr. this morning and she got a steroid shot and a medrol dose pack and yes an epi pen kit. We are feeling soooo much better already.

ilive2craft2
July 26th, 2013, 11:26 PM
I am glad she has been seen by the doc and is starting to feel better. If she was breathing ok through her mouth, I don't think you would want to use the epi pen. I have been told to only use mine in life threatening situations. This week has been awful for my allergies. I take Zyrtec, flonase and singulair daily. I have added MusinexDM for the last several days. Hot showers, drinking hot tea, etc. Got the epi pen for the food allergies (shellfish and strawberries).

RFREE
July 27th, 2013, 12:26 AM
I am glad she has been seen by the doc and is starting to feel better. If she was breathing ok through her mouth, I don't think you would want to use the epi pen. I have been told to only use mine in life threatening situations. This week has been awful for my allergies. I take Zyrtec, flonase and singulair daily. I have added MusinexDM for the last several days. Hot showers, drinking hot tea, etc. Got the epi pen for the food allergies (shellfish and strawberries).
I too am allergic to shellfish but I don't eat it. The only way I found out I was allergic is I used to work in a meat department of a grocery store and was having to separate shrimp into smaller packages and my hands started itching and swelling soooo bad. My boss told me I was allergic to it and I should never try to eat it. Several years after that I made the mistake of trying "just a little bite" of my husbands shrimp. Big mistake!! I am definitely allergic. I won't be doing that anymore!

ilive2craft2
July 27th, 2013, 12:42 AM
It's no fun having an allergic reaction. I used to eat shrimp, etc when I was younger. Mine showed up after a procedure using iodine contrast dye. Didn't think much about it, since I didn't eat it often. Then ate chicken and fries at Long John Silvers and had a reaction - they use the same oil for everything, so now I watch out for cross contamination. We don't eat out much at this point, other than fast food.


I too am allergic to shellfish but I don't eat it. The only way I found out I was allergic is I used to work in a meat department of a grocery store and was having to separate shrimp into smaller packages and my hands started itching and swelling soooo bad. My boss told me I was allergic to it and I should never try to eat it. Several years after that I made the mistake of trying "just a little bite" of my husbands shrimp. Big mistake!! I am definitely allergic. I won't be doing that anymore!