PDA

View Full Version : Fishy Fishy

mommadeb
July 22nd, 2013, 05:17 PM
I worked in a fish processing plant the other day and my shirt got soaked. Of course, it smells like fish. I've washed it but I can't get the smell out. Any ideas???

rebeccas-sewing
July 22nd, 2013, 05:24 PM
How about lemon juice or maybe vinegar? Google it. I'm sure something will pop up in the way of advice.

K. McEuen
July 22nd, 2013, 05:29 PM
Tartar Sauce?

Heh, actually I was thinking lemon juice, if that wouldn't bleach out your shirt. But of course if it smells like fish, who cares, right?

Iris Girl
July 22nd, 2013, 05:34 PM
I would say white vinegar or maybe baking soda solution.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 22nd, 2013, 05:35 PM
I thought you were going to say you washed it and a jellyfish floated out!

Marebear
July 22nd, 2013, 05:49 PM
Here is what I found - Reader Question-Removing Fishy Smell From Clothing? (http://housekeeping.about.com/b/2005/03/31/reader-question-removing-fishy-smell-from-clothing.htm)

Good luck!

slamb13
July 22nd, 2013, 06:00 PM
I buy from thrift stores & yard sales, so I have A LOT of experiences getting out smells.

Put a mix of white vinegar & plain water in your washing machine, enough to cover your clothes. I typically use 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water, but you may want to go for a half & half mix if the smell is very bad.

Let it soak overnight. In the morning, drain your washer, run a rinse cycle, then when that empties run it again on a normal wash cycle with soap.

DO NOT PUT ANY BLEACH OR DETERGENT IN WITH THE VINEGAR. <--- Very very important! The chemicals mix and are very harmful.

Let me know how it goes!!
Susan

pcbatiks
July 22nd, 2013, 06:31 PM
Tartar Sauce?

Heh, actually I was thinking lemon juice, if that wouldn't bleach out your shirt. But of course if it smells like fish, who cares, right?

Bwaahaahhaaa........Karen, you are such a smart alec! :D I was going to suggest vinegar also.

toggpine
July 22nd, 2013, 09:58 PM
You could also try some Dawn or other degreasing-type cleanser. Depending on the fish, you may be trying to remove an oil-based smell.

Miss Sheri
July 22nd, 2013, 10:04 PM
I have a house FULL of fishermen, and women, and I just wash with regular detergent and add just a little bit of; Borax, baking soda, and hydrogen peroxide [the peroxide is your main ing. in all those 'oxy' products]. Warning... never use the peroxide and vinegar in the same batch. It becomes a bit causic and will ruin the finish on your appliances, or wash basins etc.

PeggyM
July 22nd, 2013, 11:43 PM
My daughter swears by Borax on her husband's stinky work clothes.

mommadeb
July 23rd, 2013, 08:10 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions-they really help. I will have to stick to either baking soda or vinegar. We can't buy borax or peroxide here. It's a white shirt, so if anything bleaches it a bit, that's ok. I'll let ya know how it works out.

Oh, the fish were fresh, not gutted or anything-mackerel.