PDA

View Full Version : Neck Cooling Scarf

Julie Tweed
July 19th, 2013, 07:11 PM
I have made a few of these today as believe it or not UK is having a heat wave...lol..

I bought the water gel crystals...but I have a notion what I bought is not the same as being described in the tutorials.

It was granules like biggish salt...it swelled up fine but after wearing it a while (in a test run) ....I noticed the outside of the fabric was a wee bit slimy...did I do something wrong?

I had another look and it seems the gel crystals should be bigger than what I was using but I haven't seen any as described near me...I can order some online but the heat wave will probably be over before it arrives...lol...so wanted to make something to do us at work since we have to be out in the heat (work at a dogs home).

Do you think the smaller ones will still be ok for now.. I can order proper stuff and make some for next time it heats up...lol.
Cheers
Julie

K. McEuen
July 19th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Maybe make a muslin interior sack to hold the crystals inside the normal fabric? That way any gel that seeps out might be trapped between layers.

bakermom
July 19th, 2013, 07:16 PM
You may have overfilled your tube. The stuff i bought are like large grains of sand/salt too. It really does just take a small amount.

Madeforyouinma11
July 19th, 2013, 08:05 PM
I just made one last night for a friend of ours, also a policeman. He was going to be outside working a detail today so we delivered it to him on site. I'm still waiting for comments from him so I will let you know. Mine did not seep any slimy stuff but it will if you overfill them. I made up my own pattern because I did not like the way the original pattern didn't lay nice around your neck. These are the crystals I ordered. I got the 2# bag and I only use about an 1/8 cup per neck scarf.
Watersorb Water Crystals - Home Page (http://www.watersorb.com/)
You can't really see too well in this pic unless you enlarge it, because its black ( had to be black because of uniform) but I made channels all the way around so it lays flat on the neck. I'd love to see how others make theirs..please post pics.

cabinqltr
July 19th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Small crystals are fine, large would be too big. Our church ladies made over 100 of them and sent to the soldiers a couple years ago. Do not put very many crystals in each section as they really expand. 1 tsp in water will expand to make 1 pint.

SallyO'Sews
July 20th, 2013, 12:04 AM
Love this idea, as DS#8 and DS#9 work for BIL's lawn service. But honestly, I was sort of confused by the tutorial on the Watersorb website. Does anyone have a better one?

Tinker bell
July 20th, 2013, 03:17 AM
I put my neck crystal things in the freezer over night, have worked really well when I m extra "hot"and especially glowing!

Quiltlover
July 20th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Does anyone know if they still want these for soldiers in places that get sooo hot. I bought the crystals a couple of years ago for a donation neck wrap thing and never got it done. Found the crystals a few days ago and wanted to make soldier cool ties if they are still needed.

Brenda in Alabama

Carol336
July 20th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Can someone point me in the direction of the tutorial for this cooling scarf.....sounds like something I really need!!!!
Carol

Genny
July 20th, 2013, 01:59 PM
I've never made one but I purchased one today at Walmart. Its called "Arctic Tie" and I paid $5 for it and it was in a small box in the camping section hanging on a peg board.

bakermom
July 20th, 2013, 02:26 PM
do a search for cooling scarf pattern and you will find lots of ways to make one.
I make mine like this:
Sew Very Useful Neck Cooler (http://www.instructables.com/id/Sew-Very-Useful-Neck-Cooler/)

asta
July 20th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Does anyone know if they still want these for soldiers in places that get sooo hot. I bought the crystals a couple of years ago for a donation neck wrap thing and never got it done. Found the crystals a few days ago and wanted to make soldier cool ties if they are still needed.

Brenda in Alabama

I made many of these for our military members as part of the "Camo Quilt Project" and the military is not requesting any more at this time from our group. Also they have very specific fabrics that we were to use when making them, we got the fabrics from the same supplier that provided the uniform fabrics. Hope this helps.

Julie Tweed
July 20th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Cooling Scarf Instructional Video - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vawDKXGBLSc)

This is the tutorial I used to make mine...