PDA

View Full Version : It's Friday!

Blondie
July 19th, 2013, 06:45 AM

Happy Friday Folksies!

It is officially summer by my internal thermometer. I know everyone else has been feeling the heat this week as well.
As I have stated in the past, I do not do well when it's hot. Gosh, I don't do well in cold. Perhaps I am related to Goldilocks? When we were kids, we were not allowed to be inside in the summer. We had to play and work outside. Our outside work included picking veggies out of the garden and wild blackberries. Oh how I loved me some tomatoes! I remember sitting in the rows of them and just eating those juicy love apples! Ditto for when we were sent out to pick blackberries. More went in our mouth than in the bucket. Today, I don't pick wild blackberries. We have large thornless domesticated blackberries that are prolific and large AND they are also absent chiggers that always accompany the picking!

Busy weekend ahead for me; I wish each one of you a wonderful weekend. Enjoy the summer heat, we will be missing the warmth in a few months and be complaining about how cold it is. Try to forget your worries, concerns, junk - revisit those lazy long summer days of childhood - could you recapture that with your children or grandchildren? Or, for a good giggle, turn that hose on your hubs. I do. He never expects it and always smiles for me.

Blessings, prayers, hugs and oh so many SMILES for you this day.

Mpyles
July 19th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Good morning everyone!

Blondie, I agree whole heartily!! The heat sucks!! Here in southwest Missouri it's been a mild summer...but this week sure has been hot and very humid. I prefer the cold over heat as I can put more clothes on to get warm...the takin clothes off thing might get scary.....

I have been in a funk lately...don't know what why or how. We have had some upsets at work, a longtime manager and what I thought was a good friend left our employ quite suddenly abut 2 weeks ago. This is a gentleman whom I invited to my home for dinner, attended my families life events, to our home at Christmas as his family was in Illinois. Who I thought ...like I said earlier was a friend....not!!! He left quite suddenly, so suddenly that he left the store on a Friday morning with no management there. ( back story..my hubby is the director of operations for the same company that I work at) when my hubby called the store that morning he said keys are in the safe...I am out. Well let me tell you people.......one does not leave a $60,000 job on a whim. I told DH when this happened all abruptly..that another shoe would drop! Sure enough, I was asked to go over and investigate the monthly numbers that came back on the location....sure enough..this man was "padding" his numbers...he was over reporting his food inventory to make his food cost lower and under reporting his labor $ to make his labor cost lower. Apparently he was not bright enough to know that it would catch up with him. To the tune of about $20000. Now mind you he didn't technically steal anything...he was just a liar and a cheat. I was immediately unfriended on facebook as well as my dd and another colleague. I am sure he didn't want to have me post what a low down dirty $&@$&)$& he really is. So needless to say...I guess I am just disappointed in mankind right now. I don't understand why anyone would do that, the job I do is hard work, but not hard if you are actually DOING your job holding people accountable and watching your operation. Any how....

Enough of that....today DH and I are taking dd down to west plains, mo for her orientation to school and to set up her living arrangements at the dorm she will live at. It is technically off campus dorms and a bit pricey...but dd is helping to fray the costs and hopefully after a semester there she will get into the ambassador program and that will contribute an additional 2000 for room and board and free books per semester....DS is off in st Louie with his gf, she had a soccer game there last night and they are going to sight see today and go to a cardinal game tonight.

Well, up and at em...everyone have a great day!!

Monique
July 19th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Happy Friday Blondie. It is going to be ANOTHER hot one again today. Greg and Jersey arrived yesterday. I got to spend a few minutes with Greg before he had to head out. Rehearsal dinner. Poor Jersey was lost last night. She would not sleep in our room and went into Greg's instead. Poor baby. We had quite a rain storm and light show early this morning. I had to get up and shut the windows. Power failure did not last too long.

Another work day.

Have a wonderfully cool day to all those suffering the heat. It will break.

Renate
July 19th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Hi dears,

indead it is summer and WHAT a summer, since 2 weeks constant sunshine and nicely warm but not too hot. Today we are going for a lovely golfing Weekend to friends, living next to Stuttgart. So we are looking for a lot of fun.

I wish you all a very Relaxing and sunny weekend

Lissau
July 19th, 2013, 08:21 AM

Hi Guys ,,
Well this weekend is suppose to be very wintery for us and it's expected to snow down to 600 metres.......that's unusual for us ..bbrrrr...... l am gonna stay all rugged up inside with 3 or 4 layers of clothes on ducted heating on ....wrapped in a blanket and socks on my feet inside ugg boots...and a scarf around my neck and a beanie on my head and gloves on my hands ... hehehehehe...:icon_heh::icon_umpf::icon_angry::ico n_heh: .......ooh well at least we are 1/2 way through winter now only 6 weeks to go until SPRING !!!!

buckeyequilter
July 19th, 2013, 08:44 AM

Hi Guys ,,
Well this weekend is suppose to be very wintery for us and it's expected to snow down to 600 metres.......that's unusual for us ..bbrrrr...... l am gonna stay all rugged up inside with 3 or 4 layers of clothes on ducted heating on ....wrapped in a blanket and socks on my feet inside ugg boots...and a scarf around my neck and a beanie on my head and gloves on my hands ... hehehehehe...:icon_heh::icon_umpf::icon_angry::ico n_heh: .......ooh well at least we are 1/2 way through winter now only 6 weeks to go until SPRING !!!!

Hi Lisa,

Stay warm :) sounds like you will. I have a question.....is this correct? 600m = 236223⁄64in. If that is correct, I think that is probably unusual for anyone :)

Bubby
July 19th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Good Morning,

I will be mowing this morning as soon as I get off here and get dressed. It will be too hot later to be outdoors. I have been enjoying the summer since we got Miss Dottie and Little Olive. Every afternoon Dottie gets to play in the water from the hose. She has a ball. The whole time Olive runs around barking and trying not to get herself wet!

I got three orders from M* yesterday...a layercake roll (Ikat), and white layercake and two charm packs. So much for putting myself on a fabric diet!

Wishing everyone a good Friday...blessings all around!

Iris Girl
July 19th, 2013, 09:04 AM
another hot one here , but we can see the end to the heatwave...that is if we believe the weather people. tommorrow afternoon should bring severe t storms and a cold front to cool us down. Yay I may be able to do something besides sit in a puddle of sweat.Glad for the days I work at least there is ac there. Have a great day all hugs and well wishes to those in need.

MRoy
July 19th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Good morning! I'm spending the day with DS and grandkids. We haven't made any plans yet, so I don't know what the day will bring. I do know it will include doing a couple of loads of laundry as soon as I sign off here. It's really hot and humid here too, but cooler weather is supposed to be coming. Happy Friday!

Cathy F
July 19th, 2013, 09:40 AM
God morning all,
Today is gonna be another scorcher! Our contractor has been working on the roof these past 3 days, it has been so hot here I don't know how they can stand to be up there. We have plenty of bottled water on ice for them to keep hydrated. Hopefully well get a break in the weather soon. Yesterday I worked on some of my secret Santa projects, I now have another month crossed off :) well, I'm off to get some straightening up done, after the roof they'll be starting all the windows so I have to get curtains and rods down and furniture moved out of the way. Hope everyone has a good day and can keep cool.

Lissau
July 19th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Rofl !!! Shirley your speaking to a mathematically challenged person who used to get 12 out of 100 for maths roflol !!!...............l've got no idea hahahahaha ...............but if l was to take a guess l'd say its 600 metres above sea level...sounds about right

Hi Lisa,

Stay warm :) sounds like you will. I have a question.....is this correct? 600m = 236223⁄64in. If that is correct, I think that is probably unusual for anyone :)

Doloris
July 19th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Rofl !!! Shirley your speaking to a mathematically challenged person who used to 12 out of 100 for maths roflol !!!...............l've got no idea hahahahaha

I'm thinking maybe that is elevation?????

lilmouse
July 19th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Morning All, not too much going on here...Steve has been home all week and leaves this morning and will be out for quite awhile...so no sewing when he is home unless it is for him....worked an extra shift and don't have a penny left of it.....but had fun shopping for supplies...no fabric...saving those pennies for October. Have my sewing get together today and am looking forward to it.....still don't know what I am going to work on yet...but I will figure it out.
Hugs and prayers for all
Susie

buckeyequilter
July 19th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Rofl !!! Shirley your speaking to a mathematically challenged person who used to get 12 out of 100 for maths roflol !!!...............l've got no idea hahahahaha ...............but if l was to take a guess l'd say its 600 metres above sea level...sounds about right

Something like that...because -

23 622 inches = 1 968.5 feet

and I thought we had a lot of snow here *haha*

MayinJerset
July 19th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Still hot here but since I've been staying indoors most of the time I haven't been too affected by it as I planned only one afternoon shopping trip this week on Wednesday. Forgot that DH needs me to drive him because of the big brace on his right foot and leg, when we went out yesterday afternoon even the seat belt buckles were too hot to touch! I need to make some kind of cover for our steering wheels so we can touch them to drive. Maybe I can put together something using an old towel.

Wound Center doctor feels wound under DH's right foot isn't healing fast enough, it looks so much better to us. Anyway blood circulation was checked and found to be about 50% in each leg so he wants to do an angiogram to break up blockage. DH was very confused over the diagnoses and hurry up to schedule it. I had to have several heated conversations with DH to get any info about what is going on as he tends to say 'I don't know' to any questions I had. He also doesn't want me to go to doctors with him but that is going to change. Got DH to call our family doctor to discuss the matter and DH will schedule the procedure. Hope this works because surgery is the next step.

Mary, Sorry about finding out what you thought was a friend was doing bad stuff behind your back.
Monique, Enjoy family this weekend and
Renate, Enjoy your golfing weekend with DH and friends.
Everyone else have and good weekend and
Lissau, bundle up it's cold outside. May

Sandy Navas
July 19th, 2013, 10:41 AM
I have been in a funk lately...don't know what why or how.

Enough of that....today DH and I are taking dd down to west plains, mo for her orientation to school and to set up her living arrangements at the dorm she will live at.

Me do believe, whole-heartedly, that you have answered some of your own questions . . . that would put me in a total funk for sure.

Sandy Navas
July 19th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Something like that...because -

23 622 inches = 1 968.5 feet

and I thought we had a lot of snow here *haha*

Shirley, it isn't THAT DEEP . . . I don't think. I believe she meant that it was snowing at levels ABOVE that 600 m . . .

The kangaroos couldn't jump over 600 m . . .

New York Sue
July 19th, 2013, 10:48 AM

Hi Guys ,,
Well, I guess this puts a little twist to the day! I will NOT complain.
My Aussie friend's teeth are chattering, and she's hunkered down in snow! :(
I LOVE this INTERNATIONAL forum, of ours!
I'm reminded to count my blessings, EVERYDAY. And how GREAT is that??
But I still can't 'wrap my brain' around the Aussie's poolside pics at Christmas.... CRAZY.
Keep warm Lissau, and others. And I'll be mindful not to wish my days away!

Lisapc
July 19th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Good morning ladies!

When I was little I remember my Dad carrying a salt shaker to the garden to eat the tomatoes and cucumbers right off the vine. When he was at work I used to take that shaker out there myself. I loved to eat the corn as well, raw corn is wonderful when you are little and sitting in the dirt with nothing but corn stalks surrounding you.

Today is the worst of the heat here in MA, about 98-100 degrees with high humidity. Tomorrow will be around 90 with thunder storms and then nice cool 80's to follow. Hubby checked the pool water last night and at 8:00 pm it was 88 degrees. Yuck! I can't wait until it cools down a bit.

My son (8 yrs old) bought some money fabric when he went fabric shopping with his big sister and I am supposed to make mug rugs for him and his Dad today to match. He wants me to make them because of the quilting part. Hubby's B-day is tomorrow and the mug rugs and a bathing suit is what he got Daddy.

With the temp so high I will vacuum, make cupcakes and then take a bubble bath. After that sew. I truly have no desire to do anything but bubble bath and sew but my dogs are at the point where I need to vacuum every day. No amount of brushing really helps much.

Have a wonderful day and prayers to all!

Sandy Navas
July 19th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Okay, enough of me being a SA this morning (NO, that is not listed in the acronym list . . . figure it out). I did get to sew yesterday. Yeah for MOI. Got my wonky house quilt finally sewed up and ready for borders. Decided on plain muslin for sashing and will put a narrow red piping around for the first border followed by a dark blue with tiny flowers. Looks good on the table anyway.

It has been tough the past couple days as I finally got some furniture and other things out of the house so the kids can finally feel like they are living here. Getting rid of things is actually like pulling all my wisdom teeth without anesthesia, or something just as painful. Only this one hurts the heart and I'm trying to make it be okay but it still hurts. I guess that's where selfishness raises it's ugly head and that's the feeling I'm trying to get over. I keep telling myself that the kids' happiness is more important that my attachment to any material things. At least I've been able to retain my sewing area. ENOUGH, Sandy!!!! Whap-whap-whap.

Off here for now to see what the day brings and what my dorky hubby brings to the table - he's become a local celebrity and there's a huge article about him in the KC Star this morning. DUH, what do I know?

I have this to share - especially for Dee in NFL - she'll understand Alphabet Soup for those with OCD (or CDO . . . )
51947Click to enlarge . . .

Lissau
July 19th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Gives Sandy honorary citizenship to OZ and a her own pet kangaroo hehehehehe

Shirley, it isn't THAT DEEP . . . I don't think. I believe she meant that it was snowing at levels ABOVE that 600 m . . .

The kangaroos couldn't jump over 600 m . . .

toggpine
July 19th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Just checking in before heading out for the day.

SallyO'Sews
July 19th, 2013, 01:09 PM

Hi Guys ,,

Lissau, I wish I could send you a few degrees from New England! Today is the 6th in a row of 90+F temps and we will likely get to 100 or more ... THAT'S 38 for you folks!! :icon_eek:

Actually, a better idea would be to just visit Australia and New Zealand (we have friends in Auckland) during July... :icon_happy:

Hope you are staying toasty and can snuggle under a warm quilt with a cup of hot cocoa. There. Just typing that makes me feel less hot and cranky!

Blessings,
~ Sally \0/

auntiemern
July 19th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Still technically morning, so good morning all. I did manage to get half of Gabe's quilt blocks done last night after DH went out to go fishing. You can only fish at night safely on Lake of the Ozarks from Memorial day to Labor Day. The crazy people with the huge boats are out during the day. Very dangerous even for a 20 ft bass boat.
DH talked to DD yesterday, and Bubby has turned into a peeing machine. She even had to pull over and open the sliding door on the van so he could pee out the door. Needless to say, he has that part of the potty training down pat. They are camping with Rhonda at the other end of the state from me. I sure do miss them. So far that has been the worse part of all this. Haven't been able to watch my babies as much. Not gonna get all sad and everything so enough of that. Hugs and Blessings to all. Prayers for those who need them.

EnumclawGramma
July 19th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Morning! (only 10:30 here so it's technically still!) Heading out to run errands and planning a stop at JoAnns for some badly needed batting. I really am on a fabric diet so that'll be all I get. If I bring home anything else my family will most likely have me committed. To a nice quiet place with no fabric stores or cutting mats or rotary cutters or....

It's been a bit cold here the last few days. It actually rained Monday. There's the promise of mid 70s for the next five days which works for me! With all the yard work done (how is that even possible?) maybe we'll be able to just relax on the deck and enjoy. DH and I are planning a little road trip out to Whicbey Island this weekend to scope out the digs for a family reunion planned for August. Just getting out like grownups will be such a treat.

I better get moving. My DD just got out of the shower and she'll be standing at the door, keys in hand tapping her foot in no time!

Have a wonderful day! Prayers/Hugs to all who want/need! YOU know who you are.....

Miss Sheri
July 19th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Hello friends!
Just sending quick little happy thoughts along to each of you. Put a smile on your lips, and a song in your hearts and make this a beautiful day! (Hugs!) to one and all! ~Love from, Sheri

Precious1
July 19th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Hello all. It's 11:55 am so Good morning. I'm home and very excited to open my boxes and put away my new stash. But :( I have to wait just a tad bit more. I realized before I open my boxes, I want to reorganize and set up my sewing room differently. Sew,,,, I'm off to see if I can find some bookcases or cubbys to store my stash and organize my sewing room.

Wishing everyone an awesome day. Remember, SMILE!! It makes people wonder what your up too. Lol

rebeccas-sewing
July 19th, 2013, 03:19 PM
You know, people really ought to smile more! I wonder what it would be like to walk down a crowded street in London and see everyone smiling. I wonder if it would creep me out or if I'd like it?

janluna
July 19th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Good afternoon my friends, I haven't been on for a few days. The heat hasn't bothered me because, I refuse to leave my A/C!:icon_razz: I really wish it would get cooler because if I don't go grocery shopping soon, we won't have any food! :icon_happy: Oh well we both need to quit eating anyway. We lost power for a while yesterday in the very loud and wet storm we had. The weather people tell me tonight and tomorrow the storms will be back and severe. Right now it is about 94 with a 72 dew point. So it feels like 102 degrees outside. And they say the humidity is about 88%. The dog won't even go out. I take him to the door, open it, and Max looks out, crosses all four legs, and says, "I can hold it, Mom." Turns around and runs back inside. :icon_bigsmile: He is too funny. However, even Joe refuses to go out!:D I don't blame him, his A/C in his truck isn't working and the places he tends to visit are all factories with an internal temp of 110 degrees on a cool day. Thank goodness (I think) they don't need any parts right now.
The weather people also tell me that after the storms we will be more comfortable. However, only until Tuesday when the temp will again be in the 90's! At least it will be nice for two days. I can shop for food, and run my laundry, and then return to my lair. The Governor has asked us all to run our a/c at 78, not to run our washers, dryers, or dishwashers until the middle of the night, to save the power grid. I will gladly not do any laundry, bake, use hot water , (no mopped floors, trust me in this house you must have hot, hot water for the floors) and cut out lights, tv's, and any other electrical appliance, except for one small lamp over my sewing machine, and said sewing machine. I hope they don't notice. Anyway, that's what I'm telling Joe when he asks where his clean clothes are, looks at the floors with an arched eyebrow, can't watch TV, and has to eat cold uncooked food. I hope he doesn't notice. LOL Keep cool people! Love, Hugs, and prayers for all of you, and extras for those who need them badly. Jan L.

cyndiofthevortex
July 19th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Oh my goodness, where did this day go? I have done nothing but listen to the fascinating stories my DGSs make up when they play. Come to think of it, that's not so terrible a way to spend a day, is it?

quiltingtrish
July 19th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Just checking in -
Haven't quilted anything all week because of prior appointments and my spring/summer annual cleaning but I'm ready to jump back into some tonight.
HOT-HOT-HOT here too. I do have the A/C on and it is set at 72 - sorry Jan, I just can't set it at 78. Tried that and I may as well just sit outside in it. I did hear some thunder in the distance and was ready to bring in the clothes hanging out, but it is all south of us today. They are getting hail and high winds - glad we didn't get that.
Countdown is 93 days before Katie leaves for the Marines. She is excited, however, her girlfriend who also is trying to get in was just told that they need all her pediatric medical information before they can proceed. The problem is that ever since she was born she has moved about every 2-4 years and she doesn't know who any of the doctors are. It would help if her mother would quit being a jerk so she is no help. The class of October is full and the soonest the girlfriend could leave would be the Spring, so she is told. I don't know if she will stay with us or move on once Katie leaves, I suppose we will deal with that when the time comes.
May - crack your windows just a tad to let some of that heat out of the vehicles. Plus, if you throw a towel over the steering wheel, that will help too. I had black vinyl inside my Pinto back in the early 80's and in Texas, there was no way you could even sit in the car without towels thrown everywhere. I didn't even had a/c in that car, don't know how I survived down there. haha!~
Well, best run so I can pull out the next project. I want to start the quilting on the red/white throw for my neighbor.
Hugs,

alliek
July 19th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Really warm in my part of the woods also. I can't be out in this heat, It just sucks the life out of you. Hey thanks Lissau for the weather report from down under, It made me feel cooler! To mypyles, we will never know what goes on in someones mind and why they appear one way and then do another thing. It is disappointing but keep the faith most people are what you see. Have a great weekend all. Be safe, be well. God Bless

New York Sue
July 19th, 2013, 11:49 PM

Hi Guys ,,

Honestly, I can't get past Lissau's post. I've been thinking about it all day....
When someone mentioned ANYTHING regarding the heat (I mean, what's the point? I'm standing at the same place you are...),
I said 'I have a buddy in Australia that's freezing, and expecting a ton of snow!'
Shuts 'em right up!
'Is it HOT enough for you?'
'Yup, it's just how I like it.'....(not)
Stay warm, my Aussie friends!

Mchelem
July 20th, 2013, 02:55 AM
Hi Lisa,

There's no way!!! That's almost 2000 feet.... 60 meters is still 196 feet.

K. McEuen
July 20th, 2013, 03:13 AM
It just means that the lower elevations (600m) will be getting snow, not that they are expecting that much ...