PDA

View Full Version : Thursdays can be tricky

Blondie
July 18th, 2013, 07:00 AM

Happy Thursday Folksies!

Thursdays are always a mixed bag for me. Especially in the summer when many of my clients hit the vacation trail. Today is slim pickings, so I may come back home early.

I did some sewing yesterday. Spent some time with Mom (who is currently feeling superior to me). Sis and I sat in her shade garden in the early evening, listening to thunder off in the distance, travelling our way. The light show that accompanied it was spectacular. I got home just before the sky opened up.

That's about how exciting my day was and about as exciting as it will be today. This is a good thing.

Blessings to each one here. Prayers being said for those who have requested it, who need it but have raised their hand for silent prayer request, and just to let you know that I don't only ask the Lord for requests - I have spend some time thanking Him for all the positive news we have received here at MSQC forums as well. Grandbabies, Douwe's good health report, special friendships formed - all help me to focus on one of the reasons I am happy to be a part of MSQC daily.

Share your special smile with someone today. You will never know how that smile can affect total strangers. It can cause a chain reaction. Here's one for you from me. Pass it on!

Renate
July 18th, 2013, 07:11 AM
My dear hubby always says, he never loves me more, as when i wake up in the morning, looking like a troll. This is the moment he feels, i belong to him like nothing else. Isnt this the best compliment you can get? Smile

Blondie
July 18th, 2013, 07:18 AM
My dear hubby always says, he never loves me more, as when i wake up in the morning, looking like a troll. This is the moment he feels, i belong to him like nothing else. Isnt this the best compliment you can get? Smile

That is true love. Ain't it grand?! smiling back at you, Renate!

Monique
July 18th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Good morning dear friends. It is going to be another one of those days that I think I will melt again. There better be a break soon. My hands swell in this heat and it looks like I will have to pry my wedding rings off this morning. Greg & Jersey will come today. There was a storm last night and he decided to leave this morning instead. I think he and his dad will enjoy a golf game today.

I received three calls yesterday to work at three different places. I could only accept one. I can not work in three different place on the same day. I did get a lovely compliment from one of the ladies I spoke to. She told me she has heard good reports about my work. I am glad to know that my work is being appreciated. I guess that is why so many call me.

Needless to say not much quilting is being done with this heat.

Have a great day everyone.

MRoy
July 18th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Good morning! This is my Friday at work since I'm taking leave tomorrow. I'm helping with interviews today, hopefully for the last time! That means it's a dress-up day for me...no jeans. I called the retirement office earlier this week to make sure all my paperwork had been received and processed. I was told that all I have left to do is to not show up at work on Aug 1. That won't be a problem at all! Have a great day!

shannonsaulter
July 18th, 2013, 08:21 AM
GM all..popping in and up way to early but for good reason...I hope everyone has a great day and will smile at least once...My DH thinks I'm Purdy no matter what..lol...
Oh I have quit smoking finally...about a month ago I bought a vapore cigarette and put the nicotine liquid in it and stepped the nicotine content down now here we are and I am leaving without smokes..YAY

kelliedi
July 18th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Good morning all, I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS Shannon quitting smoking is one of the hardest addictions. Now just turn that addiction to fabric and quilting/sewing and all will be good. I get to go to the lottery headquarters this morning and turn in a scratcher ticket. It is large enough that i can't just cash it in at a retailer. That also means that i get the privilege of claiming it on my taxes. Like most of the nation the heat/humidity is oppressive here again today but we did get some rain last night.

Like blondie says smile and keep cool

shannonsaulter
July 18th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Kellie congrats on the win..Adding to taxes well just put some aside to cover it..hope you will have a little fun with some of it...

ilive2craft2
July 18th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Good Morning all!

Shannon, have fun on your trip! You will enjoy it even more as a non-smoker!!! Woohoo - way to go!

Myrna, I so wish I was in your shoes and retiring on August 1 - I sure want more time for quilting!! Are you starting to think "this is the last time I will do this"? Won't be happening for me for several years, so I need to quit wishing my life away.

Blondie, have you finally talked to the mall guy? I sure hope everything works out for you. So glad that mama is doing well.

Has been crazy busy at work lately, so I have just been popping in every now and then. So many meetings, I don't know when I will get all the work done that is decided on at those meetings. Oy, the ones that don't do the actual work, but just see the results have no idea what they are asking at times. We always seem to get it all done, but I am juggling so many projects, I am sure to drop the ball on at least one and I really hate dropping the ball.... Oh well, I am doing the best that I can do.

Ginny B
July 18th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Good Morning everyone. I don't usually get a chance to pop on here during the week in the morning but I was quick with my morning chores this morning so thought I'd come in and say hello.

Going to be another hot one today. Got to get out and water a bit before heading out to work. I haven't gotten much time in my sewing room this week -- been a bit too warm up there most of the time. I did get to put some more material on boards yesterday morning. We have a/c up there but it is in our bedroom and it doesn't quite make it all the way across into my sewing room.

I hope everyone has a good Thursday and Blondie, I will try to smile at more people today. I'll check in later and see what everyone did today. Keep cool.

Ginny B

Jean Sewing Machine
July 18th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Wow, Kellie! Great news on the win!

Not much news here. My little sis thinks she might dabble in quilt making, with help! She wants a tutorial on how to do it. I drafted a pattern based on a quilt we saw at the quilt show. She bought a cheapie jelly roll and some batiks, and I'm going to make some charm squares from the batiks for her. Yesterday, I started to videotape how to make the basic blocks. I had to quit when it came to showing how to do the sashing because my camera battery died. So, another day I finish the video. I 'll let you know when it is uploaded.

Hope you all keep cool today! Happy Thursday!

Sandy Navas
July 18th, 2013, 09:10 AM
See, all us'en MO gals are so jealous of Kellie . . . now all we want to do is go shopping with her!! CONGRATULATIONS.

Many congratulations due around here. And so many unanswered questions: Like BLONDIE, what's the news from your mall's new owner?? Should we mud-pie bomb him yet?

Couple things around here - I had a consignment/auction house over yesterday and they hauled two huge truckloads of furniture out of my house . . . bitter-sweet, to be sure. I won't go deep into my feelings though - at least not on here. Guess it is progress.

I have had a very strange thing going on with my left eyelid - the only good eye I have (I think I used to have two that worked well). I use two different drops for glaucoma and have been on the same ones for years. However, recently I've had a large itchy spot at the inside corner of my good eye - scaly and very itchy and it is about to drive me nutso. I have an appointment for a check-up with the ophthalmologist but it won't come soon enough.

Let's see, what will I do today other than goof off? That seems like all I've done lately. Maybe I should barricade myself in my sewing room for the next month or so. That would be the best choice I could make. I need to be out mowing but the parts Al ordered for repairs on my mower were back-ordered. WAH. I do love being outside with my own thoughts . . .

And so, I'll close and suggest you all check out our SPECIAL THOUGHTS group . . .

http://www.wctproducts.com/barricade_type3_web.jpg (http://www.wctproducts.com/TypeIII_barricade_page.htm)
http://www.mydoorsign.com/img/lg/S/Do-Not-Disturb-Please-Sign-S-8730.gif (http://www.mydoorsign.com/signs/do-not-disturb-please-sign/sku-s-8730.aspx)

aliaslaceygreen
July 18th, 2013, 09:22 AM
This must be Thursday... I never could get the hang of Thursdays."
Douglas Adams (https://www.google.com/search?biw=1309&bih=704&q=Douglas+Adams&sa=X&ei=EN3nUfejOsrB4APx2oEI&ved=0CC0QjSkwAA),
You are NOT alone, dear Blondie!

I am off again this Thursday, but have to be up, AGAIN, for the store conference call that I MUST be on and that I am supposed to be scheduled at work for. This Mgr has remembered to schedule me correctly only 5 times in the last 7 months. ARGH.

But then out into the hot beyond (they are saying stay home, stay inside, stay hydrated, watch elderly and pets) kind of day to pick out new floor and faucets for other bath... So, this is the year of the bathroom reno for us...and then....maybe stop by the LQS?

Take care all!! Hugs and all that!

rebeccas-sewing
July 18th, 2013, 09:48 AM
It's so warm in London. I can't bring myself to go underground to take the tube. It's like an oven down there. The bus is slow but it sure is a nicer ride. I went to the Tower of London gift shop planning to buy t-shirts to give my neighbor's sons. I only came home with one shirt. I was so disappointed! The one I really wanted had a really cool knight in armour on it but the saying said "Dressed to Kill." I was worried their mom wouldn't appreciate that. I guess I'll go over to Covent Garden to the Apple Market tomorrow and see what they have. I don't want to buy them in just any tourist shop. I checked one of those shops and the fabric felt thin. I don't want to get them cheap looking t-shirts. Maybe the British Museum or the Natual History Museum. Wish I had thought about this when we were out touring with friends recently. I'm running out of time. I can't even think about leaving since I get choked up at the thought. I know you're thinking "spoiled, rotten woman." I can't help it. I've gotten so attached to this city. Are you guys drinking gallons of iced tea? I am for sure!

rebeccas-sewing
July 18th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Oh my gosh, I almost forgot the most important thing! SHANNON a gargantuan CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU! I'm always so excited when someone I know gives up that horrible habit.

Precious1
July 18th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Happy Thursday everyone. Today is the last day of our vacation. However, I'm smiling:D Can't wait to get my new sewing machine and fabrics set up in my sewing room.

Congrats to Kellie on your win.
@ Blondie, you have use at a cliffhanger with the drama of the new landlord. What happened, huh? Huh?
@Trish, I sometimes think the employees know more than the supervisors and managers, MHO.

@ Shannon, CONGRATULATION on overcoming your addiction of cigarettes!!! Now, you got extra $$$ to buy fabric:D

@ at everyone else, this is the day The Lord has made, rejoice and be glad in it, for if you are reading this post, you have a reason to smile, YOU ARE ALIVE!!!

Have an awesome, sun shining, smiling day.

nyscpa2be
July 18th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Morning all. I did wake up looking like a troll - with this humidity, my hair is everywhere. Today I need to get some homework done, and then I need to pack and clean - headed home for the weekend, so everything needs to be done first. I think I'm driving back to mom and dads after class gets out at 9pm, so home around midnight - I don't have AC in my car right now, so the evening drive should work better.

I made a MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR quilt boo-boo yesterday. And I have no clue why. So I need guidance. I finally finished that mug rug, and used SITD, and put the border on. I'm no good at hand sewing, so I put the border on back first, then flip over to the front. Don't forget, I'm a beginner. Once I got it done, I realized that my corners on the front aren't mitered, but are square. So, I think I can fix it by using a decorative stitch all over the binding on the front, or I can leave as is. Options and opinions, pretty please???

Shannon - CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS on giving up smoking!

MayinJerset
July 18th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Besides the heat wave we are expecting storms over the weekend so my co-coordinator and I decided to cancel our Pillowcase Sew In scheduled for Saturday at our guild's meeting place. We didn't expect too many sewers to show up anyway as most guild members are extra busy during summer weekends.

Plan to stay indoors most of today, maybe go out on deck and water my big potted plants but that's it. Plenty to do inside, how does the house get so messy with only 2 people living here?

DH is clumping around wearing his big knee high foot brace for the cut under his foot, it takes the pressure off the front of his foot where the wound is so it can heel more quickly. He had worn the boot only one day when he decided it was too much trouble and too uncomfortable and took it off. Wound Center doctor must have read him the riot act because doctor wants DH to wear it at all times except when sleeping. That's what he is doing now. We most likely will cancel our trip to Mass. scheduled for next Thursday to Saturday because he would be too uncomfortable sitting in the car during the long trip. I would do the driving and know he would drive me crazy the whole trip telling me how to drive, when to change lanes, etc. We were going to visit grandkids there and see their Cabaret Camp Show Thursday or Friday night, they will be here staying with us for a week or so next month so we will get to be with them this summer.

Madeforyouinma11
July 18th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Mornin'! Well, today is another hot one here. Unfortunately, I do have to leave the house...hubby and I have our eye appointments today. We have to leave shortly so I just stopped in quick to say hello. Hoping to go to Joann's for a few things today. I have bunches of 50% off coupons. Only problem is, most everything I need is already on sale so I will wait for Sunday to get those things and use my 15% off entire purchase. Have been getting a lot of painting done and almost done sewing the binding on my COC quilt. Hopefully that will get done today too.
Well, gotta get a move on.. Congrats to Shannon and Kelli! Blondie I want updates on your landlord..and Sandy, I hope you can find peace in all the changes you have had to make recently.
Hoping everyone has a great day..prayers and hugs to all

Claire Hallman
July 18th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Heading out to lunch with my No Hat group [once was Red Hat] then a trip to Joanne for me, too. I need some backing for a scrappy red beige and blue quilt I have made for a vet's home nearby. I would like to get it done before next guild as well as another one for the same thing. I will need to get some more batting as well as backing for the second one. I am using the fabrics from my stash, it is amazing to be able to make two quilts from odds, ends and yard sale shirts.:D
I have found that they [Joanne] rarely put their wide backing fabric on sale so one of those coupons will get put to good use.

Blondie
July 18th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Hello again Folksies

I am home from the salon. I had a semi meeting with the new owner's wife. Let's just say they could not make enough amends to make me want to stay there past the end of this month. I am looking at some good condition used equipment with the thought of using the house across the street. There is a sunroom that would be perfect and my BIL (hubs bro) can do the plumbing. Need lots of prayer on this one, friends. The rest of the house would be perfect for me to set up my sewing and other crafts lfor the seasonal stuff I make. I feel at peace about this. I am too wore out for all the stress these new owners have introduced into my life.

I asked her why my calls have not been returned and her reply was, we are very busy, but I am here now. Do you have your rent for July. When I told her I planned to deduct lost wages from not being able to get in the place, she basically called me a liar. Said she had witnesses to her opening the mall up at 7:30. Puleeze. You would've been proud of my upbringing as I didn't even raise an eyebrow at that one. I didn't tell her that "I" had 3 witnesses who were standing outside the locked doors until 8:30 waiting to get their hair done. She knows she can't hold water, and I am not going to argue with a someone not acquainted with good business practices. They have already tacked on a late fee for crying out loud. She was rude and is a 40 something that dresses, talks and acts like a teenager.

Okay, showing my horns and age here. Off to do some cleaning and I think a nap would do wonders for me this afternoon.

Hugs, blessings and prayers for two special ones today - Marilyn and Ruby. I am with you in spirit, love and prayers, kiddos. I am the one in the middle, holding your hands.

nyscpa2be
July 18th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Hello again Folksies

I am home from the salon. I had a semi meeting with the new owner's wife. Let's just say they could not make enough amends to make me want to stay there past the end of this month. I am looking at some good condition used equipment with the thought of using the house across the street. There is a sunroom that would be perfect and my BIL (hubs bro) can do the plumbing. Need lots of prayer on this one, friends. The rest of the house would be perfect for me to set up my sewing and other crafts lfor the seasonal stuff I make. I feel at peace about this. I am too wore out for all the stress these new owners have introduced into my life.

I asked her why my calls have not been returned and her reply was, we are very busy, but I am here now. Do you have your rent for July. When I told her I planned to deduct lost wages from not being able to get in the place, she basically called me a liar. Said she had witnesses to her opening the mall up at 7:30. Puleeze. You would've been proud of my upbringing as I didn't even raise an eyebrow at that one. I didn't tell her that "I" had 3 witnesses who were standing outside the locked doors until 8:30 waiting to get their hair done. She knows she can't hold water, and I am not going to argue with a someone not acquainted with good business practices. They have already tacked on a late fee for crying out loud. She was rude and is a 40 something that dresses, talks and acts like a teenager.

OH, Blondie - that sounds like you came out on top - good for you! I'm in the middle of a business strategy approach, and one key guideline for the takeover of a business is to know where you stand. Obviously, she didn't do her homework. Hope the new house works out for your salon - and all that quilting room! Fingers crossed for you!

GrammaBabs
July 18th, 2013, 11:26 AM
This is truly one of the nicest thoughts I've had for a very long time... you are blessed...enjoy... GB

GrammaBabs
July 18th, 2013, 11:31 AM
OH,, being way behind on keeping up.. Blondie... your move will work I just know it.. and your a better woman than me with keeping your temper... I hope you don't have to "pay" for this kind of abuse... your new little shop will be better and do better,, until your ready to "retire",, I just know it... it's got to be better than my "Sh-----Storm of a life right now"... Sorry,,, i'm just beside myself at the moment... I feel and I hope you all feel the HUGS,,, B

MayinJerset
July 18th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Oh, I can just see Blondie's new shop, lots of quilts and crafty items all around welcoming her clients. and lots of good chit chat amongst everyone. Sometimes when one door closes another better door opens. Keeping the prayers going that this dream becomes a reality. May

cyndiofthevortex
July 18th, 2013, 12:40 PM
My dear hubby always says, he never loves me more, as when i wake up in the morning, looking like a troll. This is the moment he feels, i belong to him like nothing else. Isnt this the best compliment you can get? Smile This is the nicest compliment ever. You've got a keeper!

I feel like crying it is so hot again today. But instead I'm going to get into my sewing room and finish up that quilt I am working on! The closer I get to the end of a project the slower I go. I'll walk the yard as usual today to admire the lovely flowers but that's about all I'll do outside. Maybe I'll pull a weed or two as I walk by them but it is TOO HOT to do anything out there.

After being sick all day yesterday, DD Bethany woke up feeling well this morning for which I am very thankful. Today is her foster son Christopher's second birthday, so there will be cake and ice cream here tonight! We celebrate his precious little life.

bakermom
July 18th, 2013, 01:22 PM
It is ridiculously hot and humid here. i set my quilting aside for a while cause it's just too darn hot!
Add to this we are continuing our 4H judging tonight-DH and i both judge. I will be doing cake decorating tonight. I predict a lot of unhappy kids-dispite the instructions to get their stuff done ahead of time, they will wait til today. the icing won't set up. their flowers will droop and the demo icing will melt in their little hands. and my personal favorite-instead of using a dummy cake, someone will bring a real cake. not a good thing. and yet i go back year after year,LOL. Really though, we both love working with the kids. we have got some very talented young people out there.

Evilynn
July 18th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Hi folksies,

a short stop-by from me, after a while. I was very busy in the last days and I feel quite exhausted.

First of all:

Blondie: That woman just sounds ridiculous. I hate people who basically call others liars and need to lie themselves to cover their f*** ups up. That's just hilarious. (sorry for the bad language. but that kind of stuff really brings the worst out of me.) I'll send loads of positive thoughts and will imagine that little house as your new hair saloon for you. Best of luck on this one, sweetie!

Marilyn & Ruby: I've been thinking a lot about you two lately. I hope you can adjust to the new situation. Feel hugged, both of you!

Shannon: Oh WOW! That's just great! I am so proud of you! IT's a great feeling knowing you left that horrible addiction behind you, isn't it! You have every reason to be proud of yourself and enjoy some extra $$$ for fabrics and quilting notions :D!

Kellie: Another WOW! Congratulations on your win! :))) I hope you will be able to enjoy it (did I understand that correctly that you need to pay taxes on it?) - I am very pleased to find out that sometimes the right people win! :)

A quick note about me:

I have a horror trip behind me. Juha and I travelled around 700 or 800 kms today. First we had to head to Helsinki to the German embassy to get some paperwork done. We needed to sign a paper, get our signatures approved *roll eyes* and our passports copied by them with their stamp on the copies * more rolleyes*. Can you guess the fees for that "service"? 41,50 EUR! Pfff. You might wonder why we need that. Juha and I are going to marry in fall finally ;) and in order to be able to do that we need a certain paper which requires a HUGE truckload of other papers that cost a lot money. The certificate that I yield from all the stress will cost us all in all 400 or 500 EUR (incl. costs for all the gas that we need to drive to officials, translation costs for the german magistrate, translation costs for the finnish magistrate, apostille costs, blablabla). Only because we have 2 different nationalities. :icon_rolleyes: :icon_shake:

After that was not annoying enough, we then had to drive to Jyväskylä for my first day of radiation treatment. I nearly fell asleep in the machine and I was not allowed to move although my muscles were hurting and screaming at me: "OMG stretch me, STRETCH ME, I need movement!". Luckily that treatment doesn't take too long so I was free to go after 15 mins to the labs because they wanted a bloodsample. The nurse who took my blood must have been a first timer or so.. because she sticked that needle inside me for 3 times without success and after I really had to hold myself back because it hurt a lot she finally succeeded at the 4th time and got my blood. Pffff.

AFter we left the hospital we finally drove back to Mikkeli, only to have to hurry to the appointment with Jannas daycare mum. For the time of my treatments in Jyväskylä Janna will be in daycare because I can't travel with her (150 km each way). At least that meeting was very pleasant and we got to see some of Jannas future playmates who are all adorable little kids aged between 1 and 5. I cried when I realised that Janna will be gone during the day. *sniff*

AFter we got home Juha and I took a short nap and now I am at the pc for a while before I'll head to the sewing machine myself. I have to make a couple things. :)

Anyway, hope you have a pleasant evening/morning/night, you know yourself!

Hugs,

Steffie

toggpine
July 18th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Sending extra love and positive thoughts out for Ruby today. Hopefully we'll have some good news on that later today!

It sounds like you should use the house Blondie. It will keep the vagrants from dropping in and helping themselves to old furniture!

Best wishes and safe travels to all who are out and about today.

auntiemern
July 18th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Good day all. Blondie, the house sounds like a wonderful plan. Shannon, so proud of you for quitting smoking. Been a little over 4 weeks for me. Sandy, I can't even imagine what you must be feeling. Have had Ruby on my mind since I got up. Praying for a good outcome. Kellie, congrats on the win. I don't have a lot of room in the trailer, but I am going to try to start on Gabe's SpongeBob quilt for his B'day. My surgery has put a kink in those plans. Glad that he is to little to understand. Gonna check the rest of the forum then get busy. Hugs and Blessings to all. Prayers for those in need.

Bubby
July 18th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Good Afternoon,

I'm a bit late checking in. I had doctor appointments this morning and a trip to the hospital for a few labs. It's another scorcher today...hotter than hot! The humidity is stifling...it trys to pull you down. I made a quick trip to WalMart on the way home today and bought a few food items. Dottie and Olive were very good while I was gone.

Yesterday Miss Dottie pulled the plastic caps off the base of one of our toilets and chewed them up and brought them to Jeff and Little Olive managed to get the baby monitor unplugged and was dragging it through the house! These dogs know how to 'do things'. I don't know what to expect next...but they're so sweet it's hard to get mad at them.

I received three orders from M* in the mail today. I was beginning to worry about the first two parcels, but they all showed up on the same day....yay!

I'm heading to the TV room for a nap with the Girls....maybe even until Jeff gets home. My morning wore me out.

Blessings and Hugs All Around...Barb

Lindagie
July 18th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Cut all the grass yesterday in the sweltering heat; dummy me. I think I am still feeling the effects from it. Today just got my hair cut and have done nothing else to speak of. I really do not like this almost 110 degree heat and especially the humidity. Guess I should get in the mood to finish some ufos; just can't seem to get my act together. Maybe tomorrow!