PDA

View Full Version : Retreat Center opening

Jean Sewing Machine
July 17th, 2013, 07:34 AM
According to an email I got yesterday, the retreat center should be ready for guests by Oct. 1. They will start taking reservations on Sept. 1. For those who are planning on attending the Fall get together Oct. 1-4, grab a roommate and get ready to register Sept. 1. There weren't details on prices per room/occupant in the email, so we are still up in the air about that.

mom4him
July 17th, 2013, 11:18 AM
That would be so fun. Maybe someday.

GrammaBabs
July 17th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Jean.. this is so exciting... I am going to wait until next year for my visit... I did MQX in Manchester, NH this year and have a cruise in August to Canada,, so not in the plan for this year... Figure i'll let them get it up and running.... when I do come,,, I hope to bring some friend.. I don't travel alone, and don't drive "out of my comfort zone" (that's within 20 miles for me in any diections..LOL)... so i'll be spending my time in ONE place ... M*...I read the article Sandy posted... just so darn proud of those Doan's.. the pride of an American family that did things "right" and for the good of a lot of people... A lot of us have been "with them" from the beginning.. and stuck with it... I for one don't "shop" anywhere else!!!! (except in my stash)... or when I get taken to the "warehouse" where my dear quilting friend goes.. she has a longarm business and trust me,, if you have no control... you don't want to go there!!! :)

SallyO'Sews
July 17th, 2013, 01:06 PM
So, the bad news is, I can't get there. Not enough $$$ and not enough vacation time!! :(
But the good news is, I can't get there: I would never be able to resist shopping like a madwoman, and then there wouldn't be anything left on the shelves for my quilty friends! :lol:

auntiemern
July 18th, 2013, 02:03 AM
Can't wait. Gonna be a blast.

toggpine
July 18th, 2013, 03:14 AM
I had such hopes for making it to the get together this fall.
The trip earlier this year for Grandpa's passing ate up my travel budget. The fellow we were going to borrow the pop-up trailer from is going to sell it, as his new wife doesn't like camping. (There are bugs and dirt and "things" outside, you know.) We aren't really in a position to buy it, so that would mean tenting it. From our previous experience, it can get really cold in some of the places we will be stopping along the way.
Sadly, my MSQC trip will have to happen some other time.

It is great to hear that they will be able to open the retreat center in time for the fall gathering!

Judy, USMC
July 18th, 2013, 03:55 AM
I usually plan my road trips only east of the Mississippi. Looks like that will have to change. Hmmmm ... now to start planning a new route and investigate where to stop on the way. That is if I can control myself. I've been known to drive 12 hours straight to get to a prime destination like M*!

BillNye
July 18th, 2013, 11:55 PM
We're really excited about getting this going. Jean, I know you've PM'd me for some details, things have been so crazy, I haven't had a chance to respond. We start painting on Monday, we're close to getting everything done, and the community is buzzing with having these buildings restored!!

Did you all have questions you need answers to? I'll hop on here while I'm on the plane tomorrow and answer anything you've got, fire away

ilive2craft2
July 19th, 2013, 12:06 AM
This is so exciting! I need to plan a road trip. Maybe i can figure out a way to take that week off of work in October.......hmmmm.....sure would love to spend time with all of you guys in real life - it would be a blast!!

Jean Sewing Machine
July 19th, 2013, 12:26 AM
We're really excited about getting this going. Jean, I know you've PM'd me for some details, things have been so crazy, I haven't had a chance to respond. We start painting on Monday, we're close to getting everything done, and the community is buzzing with having these buildings restored!!

Did you all have questions you need answers to? I'll hop on here while I'm on the plane tomorrow and answer anything you've got, fire awaySure, we have plenty of questions--do you have any idea what the cost will be? Will there be a kitchn or food prep space available? Is capacity of 40 is based on double occupancy? Twin beds or queen/kings for unrelated roommates? It's an old building-- shared baths or in each room? I have friends who own an old hotel, they have shared baths.

About the gathering of the group Oct. 1-4--should we plan activities for each day, or do you have things planned to entertain and amuse? If you o some sort of "program", will there be a fee ( thinking of all inclusive quilt retreats or workshops, I believe). I know we will keep the cash registers busy, but when we reach our credit limits on our credit cards, what will we do? Will you have/do you have classroom machines for us to use when we just have to sew? Or should participants plan on bringing their own machines with them? Any tips on short road trips to points of interest around Hamilton? Some folks were concerned about eating their meals--what can they get in and around town? Any points of interest for non-quilting spouses to attend who might be coming along? Something like fishing or golfing venues.

Requests so far have centered around these general topics. Hope your flight is a long one, so you can answer all of these questions! We'll be glad to get more details about this. Thanks!

Lissau
July 19th, 2013, 12:30 AM
You Guys are going to have to make sure you have webcams going for those people like myself on the other side of the world that cant get there ......l wish l was able to come :(

CountryHut
July 19th, 2013, 12:47 AM
heck with all the sewing -- I wanna come and be snow'd in . . LOL*~

Judy, USMC
July 19th, 2013, 02:55 AM
Just want to commend you for re-habbing the buildings rather than having a new hotel/motel built by one of the chains. Much prefer keeping the atmosphere of the town intact. Quaint towns remind me of an old quilt. New buildings remind me of sterile hospital sheets.

BillNye
July 22nd, 2013, 03:06 PM
do you have any idea what the cost will be?

We are estimating between 100-150 a night for the retreat center right now, we're not sure where it's going to land exactly yet, Sarah and I have a yellow pad with "How do we run a hotel" written at the top, and everything we need to figure out down below. We are working hard on ironing out all the costs and staff needs and such. You guys will be our guinea pigs though, so we'll for sure make mistakes with you all, but we'll try our best, and will give you a really fair price for doing so. :)

Will there be a kitchn or food prep space available?

Yes, sarah has a kitchen going in downstairs, mainly for warming food and stuff, not for cooking per se, but if you wanted a place to plug a crock pot in, we've got you covered. :)

Is capacity of 40 is based on double occupancy?

I think there is 10 - 12 rooms (I haven't counted after everything got split up) with 3-4 big beds in each. So we have to figure out how that pricing works too, but if you share a room with friends, your price will be less, more if you want the whole room to yourself.

Twin beds or queen/kings for unrelated roommates?

Queen beds, we don't plan on booking anyone else in your bed though. Is that what you mean?

It's an old building-- shared baths or in each room?

We have 6 bathrooms that we are putting all next to each other for plumbing ease, each with their own shower / toilet / vanity / door that locks, etc. So the rooms don't have a bathroom, but if you walk down the hall, you can have a private bathroom there. It's not a perfect solution, but we think it will work great.

should we plan activities for each day, or do you have things planned to entertain and amuse?

We aren't putting any kind of agenda together, mom will plan on doing a workshop / show each day, but most of the days will be up to you. We plan on feeding you dinner one night and all getting together to chat, but besides that, plan away. Just leave us an hour and a half each day to get together and hang out.

I know we will keep the cash registers busy, but when we reach our credit limits on our credit cards, what will we do?

We can always use help in shipping :)

Will you have/do you have classroom machines for us to use when we just have to sew? Or should participants plan on bringing their own machines with them?

Babylock has generously donated machines for the retreat center, right now we have 20 brand new machines going in there, and we'll leave those up night and day, so you are welcome to them as long as you please, if you'd like your own machine to tote upstairs or take around with you, or so you don't have to share ever, you should bring your own. :)

Any tips on short road trips to points of interest around Hamilton?

Yeah! Kansas City / St Joseph are both an hour away and are bigger cities with shopping and things like that, jamesport is a small amish community about 25 minutes away, Richmond and Chillicothe are about 25 minutes away and are interesting ish. It's just a lot of americana, we would be happy to contact the quilt shops around here if you wanted to do a bit of shop hopping?

Also, the town is planning on doing a Penny Celebration at the same time. Growing up, we would do a JC Penny days celebration, but we ran out of people, so we quit doing it, with you all coming up, they're very excited and planning on getting some vendors and stuff going on in town so you'll have some stuff to walk around and see, and a few things to eat too :)

One other great spot is the Shatto Dairy - http://www.shattomilk.com/ They consistently win best milk in america and stuff like that, they do cool flavors like "root beer milk" and "apple pie milk" and stuff like that, it is amazing, especially their chocolate milk. But you can go tour the dairy and buy some fresh cheese and the best ice cream sandwich of your life! Let me know if I should arrange something with them?

We could also do an outdoor movie if anyone has suggestions? Bring some bug spray and chairs, but we have a projector :)

Some folks were concerned about eating their meals--what can they get in and around town?

The only thing I can promise is some great Casey's gas station pizza and then subway. Jamesport (25 mins) has the Country Cupboard which is amazing food. Gallatin (10 mins) has Pirates fish and chips that is good burgers, as well as the corner cafe, but they allow smoking in there, so I always smell bad and hack up a lung when I'm done with lunch there. Cameron has taco bell / burger king / etc. So plenty of stuff there.

We can also BBQ one night if you'd like, I think we'll be fine, but good to have some plans around that stuff.

Any points of interest for non-quilting spouses to attend who might be coming along? Something like fishing or golfing venues.

We have a golf course that's small, but they'll cut a deal for us I think, if I can get a rough estimate of how many guys want to use it, maybe I can get us a deal on the week? Also, the reservoir is there for fishing and such. Not sure if they're running anything then, but we also have a drag strip up the road from us - http://www.us36raceway.com/

Hope that helps, let me know!

Jean Sewing Machine
July 22nd, 2013, 03:24 PM
Wow, this sounds great! Vthanks for the update!

K. McEuen
July 22nd, 2013, 03:44 PM
Queen beds, we don't plan on booking anyone else in your bed though. Is that what you mean?

Hope that helps, let me know!

If you could provide us with a list of choices, some of us might be open to sharing. :icon_heh:

BillNye
July 22nd, 2013, 04:24 PM
If you could provide us with a list of choices, some of us might be open to sharing. :icon_heh:

bwhahahahhahahah well played Karen :)