PDA

View Full Version : You all would NOT believe...

Sew Perfect
July 16th, 2013, 02:22 AM
What I've been selling! Last weekend, I made a trash bag for my car and decided to post it on fb for my friends to see. 51717 My messages lit up and people were posting on my picture asking me to make one for each of them. Since then, I've also made a glove box caddy to match one of the car trash bags for this lady.51718 51721 51722

Then I got a request for a neutral with paisley, then a request for another and another and 3 new request today! How can this be? Who knew?

patchiereggie
July 16th, 2013, 04:32 AM
I think the requests are well deserved. It is an awesome idea. I hope you still enjoy making them :-) I really like the black and white one.

Eileen83flowers
July 16th, 2013, 05:02 AM
What a brilliant idea !
Are you going to share your pattern with us? PLEASE I would love to have a try, ideal for Christmas gifts don't you think?

bkthomas
July 16th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Cool Beans!

turena65
July 16th, 2013, 06:18 AM
They are super cute.. now you need to CHARGE for them! :)

rebeccas-sewing
July 16th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Come on girl, cough it up! We need a tutorial. We need a pattern. We need to get busy! Great gifts and Christmas is right around the corner! Think of it. We can make them in colors to match each person's car. NO! They might trade in their car. Go neutral to match any vehicle. Okay, I'm thinkin' Mercedes, BMW, Maserati, Delorean...oops! Sorry, I need a new car when we move state-side. I have a feelin' in ain't gonna be one of the aforementioned. Back to the subject. So many choices for fabrics. Do we go themed auto fabrics? Do we go batiks? How about stripes, check, plaids, polka dots. OKAY! I'm done. Could we have the pattern please or did you make it up?

Renate
July 16th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Be happy, this Shows how People love what you are doing! congratulations!

HandsOffItsMine
July 16th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Ohhh too cute. Yes, please share how you make them or where to get the patterns. I'm doing a home-made Christmas this year. Got some vintage car fabric with Mustangs - be cool to make one for Don's '72.

Monique
July 16th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Way to go Misa. You just never know.

Sandy Navas
July 16th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Some people are just SEW clever!

MayinJerset
July 16th, 2013, 11:00 AM
What a clever idea! You Rock Girl, May

Lilly
July 16th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Love this! What a great idea! And - tell me if this is shoddy- you could use those plastic bags that the morning newspaper comes in to line them- looks like the same size. Then you could toss those BK wrappers and the starbucks cups right out without unhooking it from the seat.

SuzyQue
July 16th, 2013, 11:14 AM
What about the Route 66 fabrics? What a cute and practical idea~! See EVERYONE loves it!!!

Sew Perfect
July 16th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Thanks ladies!! I did not use a pattern. I've used left over fabric from other projects and I am charging to make them. I got the idea from a friend, but reinvinted the bag to my liking because I saw flaws. I use oxygen tubing for the opening so the bag will remain opened. This, I got for free from my aunt since she is on it.

I will make a tutorial for all of you when I make the next one. As for the glove box caddy, the woman ask for specific pockets...cigerette, glasses, and pen pockets. I added a cell phone pocket just for GP . I also mad to straps to tie and made to fit any glove compartment size.

shannonsaulter
July 16th, 2013, 02:08 PM
that's awesome! and they are cute and useful!

Bubby
July 16th, 2013, 03:20 PM
They are very nice looking. I can see why people want to order them. A new career is launched!!! You never know...stranger things have happened!

auntiemern
July 16th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Very cool idea. Sounds like it could be profitable too.

rebeccas-sewing
July 16th, 2013, 03:54 PM
How are the ties made for the glove box? Do the ties wrap completely around the door on two sides and then velcro to the body of the organizer?

New York Sue
July 16th, 2013, 04:12 PM
What a great idea! SO stylish.

Kelly F
July 16th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Pretty cool!!! Love it!!

Miss Sheri
July 16th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Well Misa, you are just amazing! Good for you [and for US too if you choose to share ;)]

Mimis-quilts
July 16th, 2013, 08:53 PM
oxygen tubing! What a great idea!!!! We throw that stuff away all the time at the hospital!!! hmmm
very cute idea by the way!!

phoots
July 17th, 2013, 12:58 AM
A new business is born!!

Pam in Vegas

Wwena
July 17th, 2013, 04:04 AM
That's great!! We always have a plastic bag around the gear shift stick for that purpose, maybe I should upgrade it hm hm... Well deserved orders for you!!

Sew Perfect
July 17th, 2013, 04:23 AM
Hi everyone...to answer a question or two...regarding the glove box caddy, I made a total of 4 ties that tie on the inside of the glove box. You shut the box and the ties are hidden.

I am out of batting, so when I get to the store at the end of the week I will make a tutorial for the bag if you all still want it. I promise!

Thank you for your compliments. I hope you all will allow your cars to sport a new trash bag of their own as well!

rebeccas-sewing
July 17th, 2013, 05:09 AM
If you don't have access to oxygen tubing, I remember using a product in the notions section at Joann's that would work just fine. I can't remember what it's called or what it's supposed to be used for but it's got stiffness to it. It's about 1/2" wide. It comes on a roll and the cutters will cut to whatever length you need. Jean, you must know what it is. I have a feeling it's used in costuming. A customer asked me to make her one of those nursing covers that are so popular. I used it along the edge so the mom can look down to see the baby. As Blondie would say, heck fire shoot!!! Why can't I remember what it's called??? I was also thinking I'd buy some of the iron-on vinyl and use that on the inside of the trash can instead of adding a plastic bag. However, if you're trying to keep the cost down for customers, going with plastic bags is certainly the way to go.

Just figured it out. The product I used is called boning. It is found in the notions section at Joann's. It would work really well for this project.

rebeccas-sewing
July 17th, 2013, 05:15 AM
deleted post.

Sew Perfect
July 30th, 2013, 02:33 AM
Since this was first posted, I have had quite a few orders on these car trash bags. A tutorial has been asked for. Go to Jenny's tote tutorial Make Three Totes / Purses With One Charm Pack! | Always Great, Always Free Quilting Tutorials (http://quiltingtutorials.com/all/totes-purses-charm-pack/) Use your imagination to change it any way you want. I have found this to be the easiest and quickest way. You can use any material and can also use just a solid piece of fabric.

This is the one I made today and have 2 more orders to fill this week. Who knew just by showing something so simple to people on fb, that I would get all these orders? I am now getting orders from their friends. Weird.

Sew Perfect
July 30th, 2013, 02:40 AM
Here's the one I made yesterday to give you an idea of doing them without the 4 patch system. 52814

HandsOffItsMine
July 30th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Can I ask what you are selling them for? Don says his car buds will want them based on their cars.

Sew Perfect
July 30th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Well...this price is cheap... $12, but I've been using scraps. I went on etsy and saw this lady had made a bunch listed for $26. There's no way I would pay that. Maybe $16 would be good. I don't know. When I was asked by a friend I just threw out a number and have stuck with it.