PDA

View Full Version : Friday - I've passed the torch

Blondie
March 4th, 2011, 08:18 AM
http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss323/Euler5853/Good%20Morning/gmstickgirls1111111211222111.gif

Happy Friday to all!
I feel so much better and by Monday I think I will be fine to take Mom to the pre-op session and on to her surgery which is set for Tuesday. Not going so well for hubs. I've officially passed the torch of this nastiness on to him. He didn't sleep well last night at all ~ boy, do I feel lousy about him catching this. There is not enough lysol in the world when you live in a small house with a big man.

I LIKES this new look, Al! I really likes it! Fresh and clean and easy on the eyes. You da bomb, man. (Do folks still say that?) I remember my DD saying the other day that someone was "bang-a-lang-ing" I am assuming that was a good thing since she was laughing.

Now I will try to get caught up on my reading before I head out the door to work. Thank you all for your kind words and prayerful support this past week. Ugh, Never want to be sick again.

I did finish hand stitching one of the quilts for the girls who donated me their Daddy's shirts. (I uploaded the pic in one of my albums here) Now to work on the other one. It will be quite different. About the same size. Many of the shirts were unusable. They also included some of their Mom's old fabric scraps which are lovely to look at but once cleaned and pressed I discovered most were unusable because they fell apart. So sad. I have thought about using some of the scraps that aren't too bad in a decoupage project. But that is another project in the back of my mind.

Off to read, have a great day, ladies. This is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.

Monique
March 4th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Hey Blondie, glad you are better but sad hubby is sick now. Is he one of those big babies? I have lost my connection to the wireless hi-speed from next door (not stealing, it is a restaurant and have it available to customers, just lucky I live next door). So I can't view the tutorials with DIAL-UP. Waiting for my package from MSQ with layer cakes. I want to make a Disappearing 9 patch but need to watch the video. JFUEJDKGJJGLJKLAL!!!! So that is my rant for today.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone and happy quilting,
Stay warm and stay safe

Monique

LynneLeavell
March 4th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Hey Blondie glad you're feeling better. Sorry to hear your husband is sick. Hope your mom's surgery goes well on Tuesday.

Happy quilting everyone,
Lynne Leavell

debinmalaga
March 4th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Blondie, so glad you are feeling better. Hope everyone has a great day!

middlesis1966
March 4th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Good to see ya Blondie. Its a good thing your feeling better! The meds are doing there thing. Just make for sure you take them all until they are gone.

magx
March 4th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Hey Blondie, Great to hear that you fell much better, Hope hubby fells much better in a few days. The only possitive thing that happens when you are sick is that you realize how much you mean to the other half. By the end you fell rather spoiled.... Hope everything goes well with your mum. all my love and hugs from here. Have a nice day. Im sleepy so im going to bed, nite nite.....

janluna
March 4th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Blondie so good to hear you feel a little better. Just don't do to much right off the bat. You could have a relapse if you tire yourself out. And now you have LL to take care of. I bet he is like my husband. If Joe gets sick he just goes off in the corner and sleeps it off, except he still goes to work and won't go to the Doctor until I threaten him. He's not a big baby like some guys. He just wants to be left alone. But I fuss over him anyway. Let him know I love him. lol
Well I am off to quilt club this morning and from what I understand the girl's house we are going to will have an Accuquilt there. I'll never buy one but would love to see it up close. Anyway see you all later.
I'm not sure I'm liking the new look but it will grow on me. I'm easy. Hugs, Jan

rebeccas-sewing
March 4th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Aren't you glad you went to the doctor? Now all you have to do is get LL to go see the doc. Good luck! Glad you're feeling better.

pdjewelrylady
March 4th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Morning Ladies :)
Beautiful day here in Central FLorida! the sun is out but it wants to rain and that is good - we need some rain here. :icon_cool:
Looking forward to receiving the last of the B/W Fan Blocks and getting them swapped out - the "surprise quilt" is going to together very nicely - I will post pictures after sending. :icon_happy: I hope you will all love it! I have enjoyed doing it :)
The new swap WILD Animal swap will be fun fun fun and Wild!! Looking forward to it ~ gheech i just can't seem to get it off my mind but i already have a fun idea for the summer swap!! LOL :icon_heh:
I hope everyone feels good today! do something to MAKE yourself feel good even if its just palying in your stash a little! Love that! :D

Sandy Navas
March 4th, 2011, 02:16 PM
The best laid plans of mice and men . . . I started out with specific goals for the day but my computer has completely interfered and changed my mind. On-board anti-virus decided it had to take over and install a new program which involved automatically shutting down everything I was doing, taking it's own sweet time installing and then having to reboot - again! By the time all that was done and I had run back and forth making sure it was still working and trying to get biscotti in the oven, I feel like I've done a full day of work and I haven't accomplished much at all. So hope everyone has a great day and everyone is healthy. The biscotti are good but I'm sending raspberries at the computer.

toggpine
March 4th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Hmmmm, I'm not so sure about this new format. I orange is not my favorite color. I had barely figured out how to make the old one work.
Ha! and I wonder where my daughter gets her stubborn resistance to change!
I am glad Blondie and Gina are feeling better. Sorry to hear about Larry though. Trish, good to hear the Odie made it through and that he is resting.
I'm making some good head way on the wedding quilt that has been in the pile of UFOs for waaay too long. I think they will get it by their anniversary in July at the latest. I'm checking out the quilt as you go book from the library to see if I can figure that out instead of sending this off to be quilted. The budget is tight and I'd rather do it myself. If I can't figure it out, then I'll have to wait until the income taxes come in.
Em & I will head in to see Mom and take a dip in the pool. I hope that the pool play will wear some of the energy off of the little miss.
You all have a good day!
Cathy

sally
March 4th, 2011, 04:55 PM
UGGGHHH:icon_crazy:...I hate my job! well today anyhow. I am SO sick of working in a male enviroment. I have been left incharge today and all I am getting is mouthyness and the worse part is that if I mention it to my boss if will just fall on deaf ears. Just venting...I just want this work day to end!:(:(:(:(

Onetiredmomma
March 4th, 2011, 07:37 PM
We've got snot flying everywhere! We're rotating through Tylenol and Motrin to deal with fevers. Really, where is spring?

I like the new layout.
God bless all of you and thank you all for your prayers. Yesterday we had our boy's evaluation for preschool, and since the school has an opening he's going to go ahead and start. I'm very excited!

I hope you all have snot-less days!

BillNye
March 4th, 2011, 07:55 PM
thanks Blondie!! sorry about the sickness going around!

Blondie
March 4th, 2011, 08:06 PM
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u149/Margie077/Happy%20New%20Year/New%20Pics/Friday.jpg

Good Evening Ladies ~ and ~ Al,
It is officially a good thing to say someone is "bang-a-lang-ing" I asked my DD today and she said Well, of course. It means someone or whatever is
A) smart is a sexy geek way
B) delicious
C) well, I don't remember C - too many meds going on in my head.

But Al, good to see you.

Ladies, it has been a good day. I had several cancellations due to this creeping snot locker crud (thank you Cathy for added vocabulary) going around. I feel redeemed. Glad that the rest of the world has found out that yes, Blondie WAS sick, not just playing hooky. lol.

I am ordering Pizza. The dude delivers. PTL. Hubs is feeling like he is on the backside of this stuff already.
I am really missing my Mom. How can a woman be my age and miss her mom, who lives down the hill about 2 acres away? It isn't totally satisfying to speak with her on the phone.

Okay, whining over. Pizza is in the drive, I hope it is bang-a-langing good.
Then I will go downstairs and touch my fabric. Repeatedly. Too many meds, I tell ya.

quiltingtrish
March 4th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Hello everyone,
Well, it hasn't been a good week. DD has threatened to run away again. She and us have been battling for some time now - years. We have decided to let her go live with another family as long as they sign legal papers to take care of her financially and legally. She has accused us in the past of doing things to her (which were unfounded), accused us of lying to her, tells all her friends how awful we are, has lied to us about what she does and who she's with, etc. etc. Our choice basically at this point is to let her go live with someone else or take the chance that she will run away. At least this way, I will know she will have a roof over her head. Someday I pray that she comes home and sees what she really did have here. Are we such bad parents that we are turning our child over to someone else? No - we think we are doing the right thing and trying to still look out for her. Maybe someone else can finish raising her better than we did. We don't believe in punishment, maybe that's where we went wrong. Society as a whole has not helped and if anyone out there thinks that there are more good people than bad people, sorry but you are living in a hole. Just go into the public schools and see what's coming for the future. I do not want to live to be 100 and see what happens. I am not the only one. A counselor at school told me she just got off the phone with the same thing with her child. No matter what the adults do, they are wrong. These kids are taught from day 1 in kindergarten to yell WOLF the minute anybody does anything they don't like. I see it everyday. My daughter needs prayers. Lots of them.
On a brighter note - I'm sewing this weekend. What - I don't know. Might be mindless sewing and I'm sure something will be created. I'm also planning on trying to get some kind of quilting business going - maybe just quilting for others and see where that takes me. Don't know how much longer my sanity will keep me working in the public school. How many of you wish you could turn back time? I do, but don't know where I would turn it back to cause I don't see where we went wrong. The boys have seemed to have turned out fine. We are at a loss for her.
Well, off to check some more posts and then to the machine. Need some ME time. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone here. Please do let me know if I did. Life happens and sometimes it's just not what we anticipated.
Hugs,

sewmuchjan
March 4th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Hello all my guilty friends, sorry that the creeping crud and overloaded snot lockers are plaguing everyone, and the job negative factor is bring you all down. Spring will be here soon and that will lighten the winter blues. :(

Today is my 15th wedding anniversary and being broke we are not doing anything big. I am cooking dinner and I have a cheep bottle of red wine, (good really but cheep). It's ok it has been a good day all the same. :icon_happy:

Take care you all and my prayers are with all of you too for a better day and many good days sewing away the blues. :icon_happy:

Love you all,
Jan G. :icon_wave:

middlesis1966
March 4th, 2011, 09:30 PM
UGGGHHH:icon_crazy:...I hate my job! well today anyhow. I am SO sick of working in a male enviroment. I have been left incharge today and all I am getting is mouthyness and the worse part is that if I mention it to my boss if will just fall on deaf ears. Just venting...I just want this work day to end!:(:(:(:(

I know what you mean. I get the first timers in the shop that are still wet behind the ears. They see a chic and get all puffy. I loke dude I call and will weld circles around you, I will work 10 times harder cause I have to. Go up!!!! My boss is the same way deaf ears. I hope it go smoother next time.

middlesis1966
March 4th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Ah ha bill is no longer a nine patch princecess he a block queen, ROTHLMBO!!!!!!!!! You go Al!!!!

janluna
March 4th, 2011, 09:35 PM
I am so sorry Trish. But I have seen this over and over with good upstanding parents. Kids out there have gone crazy. Not all of them, naturally, but a few. But it is more prevalent with kids. They have been programed by tv, movies, other teens. They have watched other kids get away with ruining a teachers life or a parents and think they can do that too. It's rebellion to the 9th degree. I have seen both sides, bad parents, bad kids and bad teachers and the problem is getting worse. But I have seen good kids, good teachers and good parents too. They seem to be the exception to todays rules. You have not offended me, and I know how your heart must ache.
Parents are just as confused by this as kids are. You did the best you could. Let her see that other people will not take her crap as well as Mom and Dad have. Maybe she needs to see how bad it can be out there. It's a hard lesson, but she''ll learn.
My heart aches for you and my prayers for you and Michael are with you. As are my prayers for her to grow up. Look at Odie and know you did a good job. His sister needs a couple of life's lesson and all you can do is pray she doesn't get too hurt in the process. Maybe she will come home and thank you. Some kids need the "school of hard knocks" to bring them around.
The only other thing you can do is put her in a PINS program. Take it to the courts and put her in foster care. She'll grow up quick then. My son gave us a hard way to go too at one time. Then he met a friend who really had a nutcase for a mother and he came back and said thank you for being my parents and not the same as his friends. He grew up in one summer and starting going back to church and getting good grades and being responsible. He found out we really did want the best for him. He was 16. Now he is successful and happily married. And doing great and has led other kids back home. Bless you and keep you, Jan

Sandy Navas
March 4th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Trish, I've added you and your family to my prayers. Been there, done that. It ain't easy. My husband and I always say that by the time a child is twelve years old the parents have instilled all the good qualities in them - beyond that time they are always in the hands of their peers and that's so unfortunate in this day and age. No one teaches them responsibility, respect, or reasoning abilities any more. You've done all you can - don't give up but do let her know you are supportive and still love her.

rebeccas-sewing
March 5th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Trish,

I'm sitting here crying over your problems. I began reading your post and it all came rushing back. We had so much trouble with my older daughter. She just went wild when she hit high school. Drugs, drinking, out all night and we didn't know where she was. I ended up having a nervous breakdown and went on meds it was so bad. My daughter was furious with us over a million things and one day she just packed her bags and left. We begged her not to but she left anyway. A friend and her dad took my daughter in and we had him sign papers saying he would take responsibility. The arrangement was set up for a period of time - I think a month or so. It happened right at the end of the school year and by the grace of God she managed to complete the year. When she finally came home we told her she needed to have someone to talk to outside friends and family. With the words my husband used we got her into counseling. The best thing we could've done. In fact, we all went for counseling.

There comes a point where you need to let them go. Don't give up on them, but let them go. We discovered pretty quickly that after a certain age you no longer can control what your children do. Passing judgement just pushes them further away. The only control you have is what you give them, a big one is money. Joe and I would lay in bed and cry wondering what we did wrong. We didn't do anything wrong!!! We're great parents. It's what happens to your child from outside influences. That's why it's so important for them to know that you love them and that you will always be there for them. This is a tough world we live in. These kids are exposed to so much more than we were when we grew up.

I would look at my girlfriend's family and wonder why my kid was having so much trouble growing up and hers were all over-achievers, straight and narrow, never stray from the path, etc. Along with your child's outside interaction I also think genetics come into play. My husband would look at me and say "would you trade our kids for hers?" I'd think for a second and honestly say, "no."

The reason I'm telling you this is hang in there. Our daughter is no longer using drugs; she quit smoking; she's learning how to drink a glass of wine instead of the whole bottle; she only has one hole left in her one ear. All the others have closed up including the belly button. She's in college and looks back on what happened and wonders why.

If you can't get your daughter into counseling, I highly recommend that you talk to your doctor and get yourselves into counseling. You need someone to talk to. If you have other children who have been exposed to your problems, they need counseling as well. We were so busy worrying about #1 daughter that we weren't paying attention to how #2 was being affected by what her sister was doing. She needed counseling just as much as the rest of us. I never thought I would be a person to seek counseling, but I thank Dr. Stafford for helping us through one of the most difficult times of our lives.

janluna
March 5th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Trish, You can see by the reply's you are not alone. It is happening in so may families across our great country. Rebecca is right, she needs help and so do you and michael and any other children in the house. We have all spent sleepless nights, crying, and being angry and all the other emotions that this stuff puts in motion. Getting counseling was one of the best things that brought us through. It was hard, my son ranted and raved and then refused to talk to the counselor. We thought maybe if we weren't there he would open up but no, he was having none of it. He refused us he refused counsel, it just seemed an impossible thing to go through. He hated the counselor, so we found a new one, He went through 3 of them before one got through to him. Finally we found one we felt safe with and he felt safe with and we went separately and then finally together.
It took us 2 years before we saw a glimmer of hope. Throughout the whole thing, we told him we loved him even if he didn't want to believe it. Finally, he took hold of himself and we got peace, all of us. When he went to church it wasn't our church but it helped him. We had to let go and let God. It was the hardest part, letting go. But we did. He learned a lot about himself, learned that we did love him, that we weren't always wrong but we weren't always right either. We also had to learn that. It was hard, sweet Trish, but it ended up being the right thing in the long run. I guess I'm trying to say, we are here for you. We are holding your family up through prayer and that helps. But we are here for you to talk to. We will cry with you, worry with you and finally rejoice with you when she comes around. You are not alone even though you feel like it, and neither is she. She will learn that too. But she may learn at a different pace than you. Have patience, its hard I know but it will come out ok. We love you Trish and we are all right here for you. God Bless and keep you all in the palm of his hand. Love, Jan

Blondie
March 5th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Trish
Praying for you and yours. Loving you. Standing with you firmly through this. It takes a brave person to allow others to see their hurts and wounds. What everyone has said - embrace it for the truth it is. You know you both have done the best job you could do. Those standards are still there, underneath the layers of rebellion and hormones and ?!?!? I used to say that teenagers are yeasty. Because they bubble and ferment and kinda stink! But it is a necessary ingredient for beautiful, fragrant bread. Katie's in the sour dough stage right now.
I am not trying to make light of this serious issue. I just want you to know that you are loved and so very well understood.
Arms around you.

quiltingtrish
March 5th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I am going to call Crisis Intervention in the County here for counseling. That will be a condition if we are to sign her over to someone else. If I go through our doctor which is 45 minutes away - she will see it as someone WE choose. If I go through the County, it will be someone they have chosen and see what path that takes. I don't expect that she will talk in front of us and I do expect her to lie to them just as she has done to us. I will make sure the counselor knows that. She has one more year in high school and one more year until she turns 18. If at that time she thinks she can make it on her own, than we'll let her try. In the meantime, we are still responsible for her. She was hanging with some good kids and now tells them off. I talked to my Best Friend for over 2 hours last night and she told me some horror stories I don't want to go through. If that is what God has in store, I'm trying to avert that. I do believe that he knows all our paths, but don't understand why certain paths are chosen. There are 2 personalities in this child. One says she has been saved and goes to a Bible Study once a week and the other has chosen friends who are leading her astray.
No - I would not trade my child for someone else's either. She was given to us for a reason and I won't go down without a fight, hence the counseling.
Thanks for the support - I knew I wasn't alone. It means the world to me. I think this next week will be a tough one but with God's grace - we'll get through it.

I never got to my machine last night - after the crying and laughing and crying, I was worn out. Just went to bed. Had a dream where I heard my grandfather's voice was calling for my dad. That scared me but if I called my dad everytime I dreamt someone was calling his name, he would think I would want him to die. So, I wait until tonight to call him just to see how he is. He is an old coot, but love him just the same. He took care of us girls (who I might add gave him a run for his sanity at times) and he took care of my mother - I don't know how long he will be with us, but I'll take whatever time God grants us.

Some time today I'll be writing up an ad for taking in quilting for others. Won't be anything like that fancy-smanzy stitching, but if people wants their tops done and/or binding applied, I can do that. I can tie quilts or stitch in the ditch or even free motion meandering with an easy design here and there, If I can make up what I make at the school, this would be my last year there. I won't know until I try. There really isn't anything in this small town to find another job doing. The closest city is half an hour away and with the price of gas these days, it wouldn't make sense to travel for a job. Plus, I would leave at o'early in the morning and get home at o'dark at night. The school has let us down on so many occasions, it's a circus I don't want to be a part of anymore. But, I have to know I can make some money first. They don't pay alot to us Aides anyways, so it shouldn't be too hard to find something else. We have the medical insurance through the military with DH's retirement so that's good. One less thing to worry about.

Well, off here to write up an ad and mull over. I may keep the name I started a blog with "Quilt Dreaming". Never posted the blog here cause it really never took off yet. Someday though.
Hugs,