PDA

View Full Version : The Time is Fast Approaching

Meli
July 14th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Well, after countless visits to the doc, x-rays, pt, and MRIs, the time has finally arrived. On Wednesday I'm having surgery on my poor foot. Periodically it quits hurting for a day or two and I think, "Do I really need to do this?" And then I get up to walk around and can barely move. So, yes, I really need to do this. The doc is really nice and met with me and DH on Thursday to explain the whole procedure. I appreciate that he did that so there are no surprises. The incision should be about 3 - 4 inches long and has to be kept dry for three weeks. THREE WEEKS!!! This means I won't be shaving my right calf for that time. I've started a pool for guesses as to how long the hair will be by the time I can get to it again. The doc is going to remove the bone spur, remove the bone fragments embedded in the tendon, stitch up the tears I managed to create, and then reattach the tendon. Just prior to the surgery, they're going to give me some Versed then do a nerve block behind my knee. He says this will keep my right leg numb for anywhere from 12 - 72 hours. Numb is good as it helps with the recovery process and cuts down on the pain. Works for me!

It seems I get a number of cool toys to help in my recovery.

A stylish and oh-so-sexy walking boot 51549
(I can get it in any color I like as long as I like black)
Crutches with shock absorbers 51548
(wonder if I'll be that thin after my surgery?)
A nifty scooter, complete with basket 51550
(Now where did Toto get to?)
And an ice machine to keep by the bed so those ice packs are always handy 51551
(if it looks like this one, that smiling, googly-eyed "face" may give me drug induced nightmares.)

And so, dear friends, the adventure continues.

All of this because, back in April, I decided to run, not walk, to open the front door. And heard/felt a loud pop.

That'll teach me to be active!

Sandy Navas
July 14th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Just added you to my list of hugs and prayers! You will do just fine with all these wonderful new toys to play with . . .

Actually, just take it easy and let the healing begin.

ilive2craft2
July 14th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Meli, I am glad that the end of pain is in sight and that you are even more sure of your decision after talking with the doctor. Wow, a scooter - that looks like fun! The ice thing is rather miraculous, just have to keep it stocked with ice and you get a constant ice cold water running through a contraption wrapped around the healing body part. My brother had one after his knee surgery. So much easier than keeping ice packs in place and no mess of dripping bags. Follow the dr's orders and you will be dancing again soon! In the meantime, you will have lots of time to hang out on the forum with us. Keeping you in my prayers for a successful surgery and quick healing. Hugs, Lisa

MayinJerset
July 14th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Although I know you would rather not have any surgery it seems you have the right doctor who took the time to go over everything with you before hand. Hey, that scooter looks like fun. Does it come with driving instructions and a horn?

bakermom
July 14th, 2013, 11:34 AM
That boot is just lovely-I have one in grey you can have-only worn 8 weeks. Also a pair of crutches that i used as lethal weapons(just ask the dog).
I hope everything goes well for you. It is not fun being in pain.

HandsOffItsMine
July 14th, 2013, 12:45 PM
(((Meli))) I feel for you!!! Reminds of when I broke my foot in two places. Luckily for me, the Indonesian side of my genes grows very little hair. lol

Now, I too had the wonderful stylish black boot! I wear mostly black as all know, so no clashing with my wardrobe!

You are getting the deluxe model of crushes - I'm quite jealous, you must have better insurance than what I had at the time! :icon_heh:

I can guarantee you...that body does NOT come with the crushes! :p

Scooter? I didn't get no FRICKIN' KNEE scooter from my United Healthcare Insurance! Again I got screwed!! So not a happy camper!! OY!!! Plus I didn't get a ToTo either, that's what really makes me MAD!

Now!!! An ice machine for by the bed...WHO KNEW?!? I never heard of that. I could use one of those for my migraine, my head always runs so hot that they don't last long. I must look into one of those! I do agree that I will face creepy face away from me. :D

I will keep you in my prayers and send healing light your way plus good mojo to keep all folks out of your path to not step/bump into you.

Huggers, Ruby

HdWench
July 14th, 2013, 01:06 PM
ouchie Meli!!!! Love the any color boot as long as black!! I have a matching set LMBO! But uh *wahhhhhhhhhhhh* didn't get cool crutches nor that HOT body either geeze we got ripped Ruby!! Hey a scooter?? my god my insurance must have suq'd! But the numbing is good news and I'm so glad the doctor explained everything! So sorry it's the right foot!!! hmm can you push on the sewing machine peddle with the left? oops NO you need to heal 1st :-) Then drive the machine slowly. hehehe such an Active life yep!

(((((hugs)))) Hope this is only a memory in a short time!

Sharyn J
July 14th, 2013, 01:37 PM
An ice maker for the bed! What a terrific idea......could have used one of those during menopause. :lol: And definitely get the scooter with a horn. I have a boot in blue if you need a change in color on those days when your p.j.'s clash.

Seriously, I wish you well on your surgery and quick healing. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

bakermom
July 14th, 2013, 01:44 PM
I'm not sure which was worse-not being able to drive or not able to sew-since it was my right foot also.

Cathy F
July 14th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Sending you well wishes for a complete recovery.

auntiemern
July 14th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Happy that you are finally having it fixed. Mind the doctor, and don't do anything you aren't supposed to. We want your healing to go as planned, without any set backs, because you thought you could do it. Hugs and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Musical_Starling
July 14th, 2013, 04:35 PM
All of this because, back in April, I decided to run, not walk, to open the front door. And heard/felt a loud pop.

That'll teach me to be active!

And they'll tell you that a little exercise never killed anyone. Maybe it can't kill you, but it can certainly mess you up! I'm not taking that chance anymore :icon_giggle:

Hugs, thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery! And maybe you can English paper piece some hexies and stitch up a cute little cover for that boot ;)

aliaslaceygreen
July 14th, 2013, 04:43 PM
ouch! And Wow, won't you be stylish! Long leg hairs and all those black and chrome accessories...Just think how much better you will be in 4 weeks.... Hugs!

PeggyM
July 14th, 2013, 05:01 PM
So sorry for your pain. I'm praying it all comes off without a hitch. A friend of mine had foot surgery a few years ago, and she thought the knee scooter was the greatest help. (Her daughter nicknamed her Wheelie McScooterson.)

bubba
July 14th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Because I am nearly in the same boat as you, are you awake during the surgery if they are doing that block???

I have a boot like that I have finally graduated out of, but due to the fact I can't walk more than a block, my husband is going to rent/borrow one of those knee things to see how it works out.

Hope recovery is quick! Have fun sewing with your left foot....it takes some getting used to!

aqua-teal71
July 14th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Praying for swift recovery. please dont lose that wonderful sense of humor.

Wwena
July 14th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Lol you kill me... I'm glad you won't be in a hard cast. I hope the surgery goes really well and that they give you good help with the pain after! Follow all orders to the letter, you want it to heal properly!

:)

BellasQuilts
July 14th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Meli, you are on my prayer list too. I agree, exercise is highly overrated.... keep us posted!

alliek
July 14th, 2013, 09:04 PM
My brother had "similar sounding" surgery and the "toys" look like some that he had. (No trike though, he was in a wheelchair for a while). He is fine, went through rehab and doing well. God Bless Meli, prayers for quick healing and recovery.

shannonsaulter
July 14th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Oh Meli all those new toys..I would get the scooter in a dif color...lol
I will have you in my prayers as you go through this process...Take care...(((HUGS)))

SuzyQue
July 14th, 2013, 09:17 PM
More prayers added from here, Meli. Please do follow Dr's orders and heal quickly! It is a bummer to be without your right foot, but although 3 weeks sounds like an eternity.......it will pass. Stock up on some handwork, some reading books, lots of easy to eat in bed snacks, and perhaps some good DVD's! Enjoy the time the best you can. It looks like you have all the toys you need to survive and thrive! Maybe not be glamorous, but you will survive!

Miss Sheri
July 14th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Meli, so glad the end is in sight! You at least had the grace to just be hustling to open the front door, , , I'm a bit more of a DORK than that, I try things like running down the wood laminated stairs . . . while wearing socks . . . while carrying a big box full of books. It's amazing I have lived this long. :o

Best wishes for your surgery and recovery, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers sweetie.

SallyO'Sews
July 15th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Praying for you (and wincing!). Hope you have a fast recovery!

pcbatiks
July 15th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Meli...........hope everything goes well with your foot surgery..............will be thinking of you and praying.

Meli
July 16th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Dear All --

Your responses to this have warmed my heart and made me smile and laugh. Definitely the best medicine!

I'm waiting on approval from the insurance to pick up the scooter. Hopefully that comes through today. The ice pack machine arrived yesterday and it's not at all what I was anticipating. It's better! It is the VascuTherm2 (http://www.thermotekusa.com/md_vascutherm.php). It is a closed loop system and has coolant that runs through the part that wraps around my foot. If you follow the link, you'll actually see the wrap. The "wings" wrap around the top of the foot and around the ankle. The heel rests in the narrow part. Not only does the coolant flow throug it, there is also gentle compression to help with circulation and the prevention of blood clots. Additionally, there's another wrap that goes around my opposite calf to provide compression for the same reasons.

DH has promised to put me in bed and check on me periodically. My nephew has promised to stand in the door way, poke me with a stick, and toss me crackers from time to time. As you can see, I will be well taken care of. Or something.

GuitarGramma
July 16th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Oh Meli, I'm so sorry to hear about all this. May your recovery be swift and your pain negligible!

GrammaBabs
July 16th, 2013, 01:17 PM
I'll be thinking of you... you'll be glad you did it... my hip is good as new.. and now the other one "bekons"...LOL... It's well worth the process... :)

Sew Perfect
July 16th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Will surely be thinking of you! Once this passes, your foot should be good as new too!

phoots
July 17th, 2013, 01:06 AM
Meli! I'm glad to hear that you're finally having surgery on your foot! I'm sorry you're gone so long with this pain. I will be praying for you. I love all your little toys...with the exception of that ice contraption. My cats would be in it day and night! I'd never get any sleep! You take care and remember to follow your doctor's orders! All your friends on the forum will be praying for you, including me. Try to get some sleep tonight. (((HUGS)))

Pam in Vegas

Miss Sheri
July 17th, 2013, 01:57 AM
Good Luck Meli! Thinking of you right now and praying for you too.

Madeforyouinma11
July 17th, 2013, 03:29 AM
I'll be thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers for a successful surgery and quick recovery.

Helen McD
July 17th, 2013, 03:35 AM
Love the scooter - you could always do some english paper piecing !

rebeccas-sewing
July 17th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Today, you're having surgery! I imagine you aren't getting much sleep in anticipation of what the day will bring. I'll be thinking about you and praying for a very successful surgery so you can get on the road to recovery. Let us hear from you when you're feeling up to typing a note to your quilting buddies.

lilmouse
July 17th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Keeping you in prayer Meli......hope to hear from you soon and hope everything goes smoothly with little pain! Sending you some cyber hugs!

pcbatiks
July 17th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Meli..........let us know how you are feeling when you are able..........thinking of you!

Precious1
July 17th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Have you in thoughts and prayers Meli.

aqua-teal71
July 18th, 2013, 03:32 PM
meli it is thursday and i hope your post-surgery is going well. prayers for fast healing to you and minimal pain.
let us know how you are doing when you can.

Sandy Navas
July 18th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Still have you on my list - certainly hope and pray all went well and continues so. Soon you will be kicking up dust for us.

buckeyequilter
July 18th, 2013, 07:21 PM
I hope all went well and I'm praying for a quick recovery for you.

Lissau
July 18th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Get Well Soon (((((((meli)))))))..l hope the pain goes away take care

Lisapc
July 19th, 2013, 12:41 AM
Praying for you. I hope you have a wonderful hospital staff and that your doctor provides you with plenty of pain med to take home.