PDA

View Full Version : sew not about sewing....

Staceyh
July 13th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Well.... I just turned 40 and for the last 5 years when I have my period its very heavy with very large blood clots. Well to day I was told by my Dr. That i will need a partial hysterectomy. I know its a lot of personal info but I'm a little scared. Just need some words of encouragement and prayer..... Thanks guys

Hulamoon
July 13th, 2013, 04:55 PM
That's not such good news :( Have you thought about a second opinion?

Madeforyouinma11
July 13th, 2013, 05:15 PM
I had the same problems...again, this is going to be too much info, but want you to know how bad I was. My periods would last for 7-14 days and there was no such thing as light days. I would use 2 tampons and a pad and if I picked up anything heavy, the tampons would gush out. It was gross and very uncomfortable. My Dr never brought up hysterectomy. This is what he suggested and this is what I had done. After the procedure, I had light spotting once a month for one day and this only lasted for 6-8 months and then my periods ended completely. I feel wonderful! Most people I know that have had the procedure done is very happy with the results.
Also, most people I know we're put to sleep during the procedure. My dr did it in his office. He gave me meds and I won't lie, it hurt like a b@$&! , so I would definitely recommend being put under. The whole procedure literally takes only 5 mins and there was no recovery except I couldn't lift anything heavy for awhile.
I strongly suggest that you get a second opinion and see if this might be an option for you. I hope this helps you in your decision. If you have any questions, please ask.
http://m.novasure.com/index.html

ljcreates
July 13th, 2013, 05:32 PM
I have had similar problems. Last year I had Endometrial Ablation. Not as invasive as a hysterectomy...but totally life changing. Maybe you can look into it. Saying a prayer for you. I can totally relate!

Bailey65
July 13th, 2013, 05:35 PM
I actually had the same problem and 2 years ago I had a uterine ablation.....no more periods or awful cramping that I have had since I was 11. best thing I have ever done :)

Terri
July 13th, 2013, 05:40 PM
I had the same problems...again, this is going to be too much info, but want you to know how bad I was. My periods would last for 7-14 days and there was no such thing as light days. I would use 2 tampons and a pad and if I picked up anything heavy, the tampons would gush out. It was gross and very uncomfortable. My Dr never brought up hysterectomy. This is what he suggested and this is what I had done. After the procedure, I had light spotting once a month for one day and this only lasted for 6-8 months and then my periods ended completely. I feel wonderful! Most people I know that have had the procedure done is very happy with the results.
Also, most people I know we're put to sleep during the procedure. My dr did it in his office. He gave me meds and I won't lie, it hurt like a b@$&! , so I would definitely recommend being put under. The whole procedure literally takes only 5 mins and there was no recovery except I couldn't lift anything heavy for awhile.
I strongly suggest that you get a second opinion and see if this might be an option for you. I hope this helps you in your decision. If you have any questions, please ask.
NovaSureŽ - Stop your heavy period and restore your life. (http://m.novasure.com/index.html)

Well here's another TMI post..... I didn't look at your link, but are you talking endometrial ablation? My Dr mentioned it once when my ferratin levels were very low (different than hemoglobin). Ferratin is the amount of iron actually stored by your body. When he told me what it was & what the results would/should be I was like "where do I sign up?!?!?!" BUT before he would consider that he put me on oral ferrous fumerate first (iron supplement that is best for gastric by pass patients, I had it done in 2004) and also did the test to see if there was blood in my stool. No on the blood in stool and the iron supplement brought my ferratin levels up, so no endometrial ablation for me. :-( None of this was due to heavy or abnormal cycles....just the very low ferratin level. I wanted that ablation so my periods would stop or almost stop...... now, I am in the midst of "oh so special" time of a woman's life (NOT!). If it weren't for bio-identical hormones, I would be crazier than I already am. lol No more night sweats, hot flashes, or severe mood swings....I act pretty much human most of the time. My husband has been a trooper through this! :-)

Stacey....sending warm {{{hugs}}} and prayers your way. Hope things work out well for you!

Claire Hallman
July 13th, 2013, 05:50 PM
I had this problem plus lengthy periods and had a hysterectomy at age 37, best thing ever, I would do it again in a heartbeat if needed.

bubba
July 13th, 2013, 05:58 PM
My daughter had that same procedure done just this past spring. It seemed like it took a week or ten days before she was back to feeling good. The doctor thought it would stop completely, but she still has light periods still. Much better than it was before. She was knocked out and had a had time coming out of it. She was not able to work, but friends who I know that have had this done were back to work the next day w/no problems. I think this is much less invasive a procedure.

nyscpa2be
July 13th, 2013, 06:01 PM
My sister, at 32, just had a partial hysterectomy. The surgery went fine - she's in pain after, but what hurts the most is the emotional pain - my other sister is trying to have kids, and I'm hoping I find Mr. Right sometime soon, so to not be able to have any more children is tough for her, really tough, even though she and her husband agreed they were done. I can't imagine what she's going through, and what she will go through, and I'm so sorry you have to go through this too.

yeeehawterri
July 13th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Same problems here, my Dr and I talked about Novasure, but we decided I would try Jolivette, which is a non-estrogen "mini pill.". OMG, it totally changed my life. Best thing I ever did. Please get a second opinion and explore ALL your options. If surgery is the only medical option, then do it, but just know that there may be alternatives.

Mimis-quilts
July 13th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Gotta love menopause!!!!!!! Can I get a "Hoorah"? :icon_hi::icon_hi:

shannonsaulter
July 13th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Sounds like the periods I have alwas had...was told after having kids it would get better...NOT
I clot and bleed like a stuck pig for 7-9 days and cramps are worse than any labor pains I have ever had..Menopause take me away...

Madeforyouinma11
July 13th, 2013, 09:41 PM
I actually had the same problem and 2 years ago I had a uterine ablation.....no more periods or awful cramping that I have had since I was 11. best thing I have ever done :)

That is exactly what the nova sure is! I had mine done in January of 2010 and is is definitely the best thing I ever did too!

ilive2craft2
July 13th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Mine were bad too - had endometriosis (sp?), had a few laporascapies (sp?) to take care of it. Also did lupron injections which put me into menopause temporarily. My doc wanted to suggest a hysterectomy, but I said I wouldn't until mid 40's - my mom went into menopause in her early 40's so I was hoping I would follow her pattern and I did. I feel so much better now. Ask lots of questions, there are lots of different options out there now. Hope whatever you decide gives you improvement.

Madeforyouinma11
July 13th, 2013, 09:48 PM
My daughter had that same procedure done just this past spring. It seemed like it took a week or ten days before she was back to feeling good. The doctor thought it would stop completely, but she still has light periods still. Much better than it was before. She was knocked out and had a had time coming out of it. She was not able to work, but friends who I know that have had this done were back to work the next day w/no problems. I think this is much less invasive a procedure.
Do you mean the abrasion? Tell her to hang in there...the spotting, or light periods could still stop completely. My dr told me that what ever they were like six months from procedure would be the way they would stay but within a year, they stopped completely.

Madeforyouinma11
July 13th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Well here's another TMI post..... I didn't look at your link, but are you talking endometrial ablation? My Dr mentioned it once when my ferratin levels were very low (different than hemoglobin). Ferratin is the amount of iron actually stored by your body. When he told me what it was & what the results would/should be I was like "where do I sign up?!?!?!" BUT before he would consider that he put me on oral ferrous fumerate first (iron supplement that is best for gastric by pass patients, I had it done in 2004) and also did the test to see if there was blood in my stool. No on the blood in stool and the iron supplement brought my ferratin levels up, so no endometrial ablation for me. :-( None of this was due to heavy or abnormal cycles....just the very low ferratin level. I wanted that ablation so my periods would stop or almost stop...... now, I am in the midst of "oh so special" time of a woman's life (NOT!). If it weren't for bio-identical hormones, I would be crazier than I already am. lol No more night sweats, hot flashes, or severe mood swings....I act pretty much human most of the time. My husband has been a trooper through this! :-)

Stacey....sending warm {{{hugs}}} and prayers your way. Hope things work out well for you!

Yes that is what I had. I have always been borderline anemic but it sounds like you had a lot more going on than I did when I had it done.

alliek
July 13th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Love this forum for the help,ideas and other directions to go in. Stacey, prayers for whatever decision you come to. You certainly have a choice to discuss with your doctor now or to see another doc. God Bless

auntiemern
July 13th, 2013, 11:08 PM
I was going to suggest looking into ablation as well. Helped me tremendously. Of course that has been a long time ago.

Staceyh
July 14th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Wow thanks guys. Yes a lot of questions for the Dr.

rebeccas-sewing
July 14th, 2013, 05:35 AM
From what I'm reading, sounds like a second opinion is in order. Maybe even a third.

Wwena
July 14th, 2013, 08:52 AM
You have some good feedback here, I hope you feel better and get a good solution to all this! Isn't it wonderful, all things considdered, that we live in a time where there is something that can be done about these kinds of problems?

MayinJerset
July 14th, 2013, 09:23 AM
I also had heavy periods when I was about 48-49. Boy did I spend a lot of time at work running to the rest room to make sure I wasn't spotting. Used to keep some undies and slacks in my locker just in case. Doc put me on a iron supplement and period lessened and finally stopped when I was about 51. What freedom after that, I could go on trips without any worry about spotting and didn't have to keep a big supply of tampons and pads handy.

aqua-teal71
July 14th, 2013, 06:20 PM
I used to assist in surgeries, and i agree with all there wonderful women, get second, third and fourth opinions. read studdy google, the best patient is the informed patient. take some of the scary stuff into perspective and always trust the company of women.
everyones experience is different, but in the end (Sorry), the same. prayers for you for guidance and decision making.

bec
July 14th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Mine were just like yours. I would have to sit down sometimes because I would start feeling like I would pass out. My OBGYN first tried meds to control it, but it didn't help. I didn't want a hysterectomy, so I opted for an endometrial ablation, which did the trick. Here's a little wikipedia blurb about it. Endometrial ablation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endometrial_ablation)