PDA

View Full Version : The Surgery Date Is

auntiemern
July 12th, 2013, 08:57 PM
July 26th, at 7:30 AM. The surgery will be at St. Clare Hospital. He explained all of the risk factors involved, and the only one I may have,,would be to develop pneumonia, but even that is unlikely as well as my lungs are doing. I will have 4 incisions. He is expecting me to come of the ventilator right after surgery. Hospital time should be 2-4 days.
I really did like my surgeon. Also like the fact that he is well known, and respected in his field. He has been voted top doc 4 times an is currently the head of thoracic surgery at St. Louis University Hosp. My DH and DD and all felt very comfortable with him. So now all I can do is wait... Ugh this is where the not a patient person comes in.

Madeforyouinma11
July 12th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Well at least it will be done sooner than later, which is good. I know the waiting is the worst. I go for my cystoscopy the same day to make sure everything is ok with my bladder. Still not sure where the micro blood is coming from.
Try to do something, if you can between now and then to try and keep your mind occupied. What will your recovery time be? I'm assuming that you will have to take it easy for a couple of weeks. Maybe you can get some hand work projects together for after surgery so you won't go crazy. Keeping you in my prayers that the surgery is a complete success. It'll all be behind you before you know it..I know, easy for me to say.
Many prayers and ((((hugs)))) heading your way.

ilive2craft2
July 12th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Now that you have the date and all of the answers to your questions, you can plan and be ready for the surgery and the healing. I agree that having some hand stitching projects ready to go would help your recovery. Although if you hand quilt in a frame, that might not work so well for the first few days home. You will just have to have a laptop on your lap and hang out with all of your forum friends! Lots of prayers for a successful surgery and quick healing. Hugs, Lisa

K. McEuen
July 12th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Oh good, plenty of time for recovery before October 1st. Not letting you off the hook.

Glad you are comfortable with your surgeon. Makes all the difference in the world.

Kelly F
July 12th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Good luck! I had a hysterectomy last fall. I was so anxious waiting. I had to preoccupy myself. But remember when you go in there is a lot of down time. Before you know it the surgery is over and people are bringing you flowers. ;-) !!! Prayers to ya!

mom4him
July 12th, 2013, 09:38 PM
So glad you have the date and are at peace with the Dr and what will happen. That helps a lot, I know.
I will be praying for you for this time of waiting and for speedy recovery.

Mimis-quilts
July 12th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Glad to know that all went well with the surgeon and you feel comfortable with him...that is most important! Now, find something to do to occupy your time until the 26th. It will be here before you know it! We are all here for you in mind and spirit! Pat

Grandma G
July 12th, 2013, 10:06 PM
It sounds like you will be in very good hands. Now that you know the game plan you sound a little more at ease. We will continue to pray for you that you won't become too stressed about what you will be going through. One day at a time - that is all you can do. Bless you.

Sew Perfect
July 12th, 2013, 10:14 PM
I am so glad you are getting the surgery out of the way and pray all will be good. Thank you for keeping us posted on your health.

Precious1
July 12th, 2013, 10:17 PM
It's good to know you have one of the top surgeons in his field, means he won't be "practicing" on you, lol. Just a little humor. They say laughter is healing(good medicine). Will have you in my prayers.

HandsOffItsMine
July 12th, 2013, 10:29 PM
(((Marilyn))), glad you're comfortable with him - very important! Be patient, the date will come soon enough. You can get things organized, all your favorite foods, drinks in house. Books, hand sewing needs, yarns, puzzle books, whatever. :)

You're hospital time isn't too bad but then they throw you out oh so quick now a days! lol Make sure you tell them to leave some space next to the operating table open 'cause I'll be there holding your hand in cyberspace. Not letting go DF!! Did they say what the recoup time is at home? Anything about the radiation?

We send our love sweetie! The Schmers and Stegers

PS The Hagers in Amsterdam send their best as well - Spoke to my Dad and Ine today as it was Ine's BDay. They have been following you're health updates.

Sandy Navas
July 13th, 2013, 12:05 AM
The time will surely pass quicker than you think. After all, you've got us pulling with and for you!!!

http://eagleman6788.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/stubborn.gif?w=379&h=361 (http://eagleman6788.wordpress.com/2012/08/13/the-enemy-and-the-most-destructive-force-inside-all-of-us-is-our-resistance-to-anything-that-might-force-us-to-think-or-take-action-outside-our-comfort-zone/)

auntiemern
July 13th, 2013, 12:16 AM
Home recovery is the typical 4-6wks of nothing strenuos, but will be up and doing minor things in a few days. DH will be like a drill instructor. The only reason they would have to do radiation or chemo is if they found cells in my lymph nodes, which they are going to check with a separate incision under my throat. They are checking them even though the PET scan didn't show anything, because it is only 90% accurate. Praying I am in that 90%. Make sure you tell the family I said thanks for the prayers. They are working :)
(((Marilyn))), glad you're comfortable with him - very important! Be patient, the date will come soon enough. You can get things organized, all your favorite foods, drinks in house. Books, hand sewing needs, yarns, puzzle books, whatever. :)

You're hospital time isn't too bad but then they throw you out oh so quick now a days! lol Make sure you tell them to leave some space next to the operating table open 'cause I'll be there holding your hand in cyberspace. Not letting go DF!! Did they say what the recoup time is at home? Anything about the radiation?

We send our love sweetie! The Schmers and Stegers

PS The Hagers in Amsterdam send their best as well - Spoke to my Dad and Ine today as it was Ine's BDay. They have been following you're health updates.

shannonsaulter
July 13th, 2013, 12:18 AM
you will be in my prayers it does sound like your in good hands..

PeggyM
July 13th, 2013, 12:21 AM
Saying prayers for you for strength, comfort and healing.

bhaggerty
July 13th, 2013, 01:02 AM
Praying for you and your family! Hugs coming your way. Hang in there!

phoots
July 13th, 2013, 01:02 AM
Marilyn! ((((HUGS)))) You've set the date so now all you can do is wait! Just as others have said, spend this time getting things organized for afterwards. After surgery, probably the biggest thing to help you is to walk, just short little walks. I had an appendectomy 2 yrs ago. They wanted me to walk as much as I could. I know that what I had done is totally different from what you're gonna have done, but walking is still a good thing. Don't let your Drill Instructor boss you around too much, but don't try to do too much on your own! You will be in my prayers and I'm also sending you lots of ((((HUGS))))!!!

Love you!
Pam in Vegas

aqua-teal71
July 13th, 2013, 04:21 AM
My prayers are with you marilyn and you also madeforyouinma11.

HdWench
July 13th, 2013, 04:25 AM
All my prayers and blessings Marilyn! Put it on my Sticky notes to remind myself to talk to God that morning. Sounds like you are in very good hands, and yeah patience is hard waiting for this... Hope time flies by and you are home toot-sweet!

rebeccas-sewing
July 13th, 2013, 05:45 AM
Good news! The 26th will be here in no time at all. Keep busy! There's nothing worse than sitting around dwelling on the situation.

Iris Girl
July 13th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Liking the surgeon is a real plus towards easing your mind. Like the others have said get some projects together so you are ready when surgery is over and you are recooping. Best wishes and healing thoughts coming your way.

Evilynn
July 13th, 2013, 06:08 AM
Dear Marilyn! Sounds as if things are moving quite quickly. Only 2 more weeks and you are rid of it. I know you will feel better when it's out of your body. Take your time to recover! You go chiiiica!!! As for the waiting time: As others said, try to busy yourself. It's relaxing to get your mind off.

Hugs,

STeffie

dwil23
July 13th, 2013, 06:49 AM
I know waiting is hard, but it's less than two weeks away now. Will keep you in prayer.

Monique
July 13th, 2013, 07:43 AM
The waiting is absolutely the worse. Prayers that all will go well and recovery won't be too long. Hugs to you.

Bubby
July 13th, 2013, 08:49 AM
I'm glad you liked your surgeon and that you know the date of the procedure. Have a few quilt magazines and a little handwork to occupy your mind while you are recuperating. My prayers continue for you, Hon.

New York Sue
July 13th, 2013, 10:28 AM
If securing the Top Doc means waiting a few days, it's worth the wait!
I really can't stress this enough, chica. it's HUGE!
I am SO relieved to hear this.
I'm sure your guy is well versed in 'minimally invasive' techniques. It's SO different, these days. My daughter had her gall bladder removed this Thursday, at 7:30. By 9:30 she was eating a hard roll and enjoying a cup of coffee. She was home by 11, and plans on attending a parade today. Her aunt had her gallbladder removed 15 years ago and spent 4 days in the hospital, and felt like crap for weeks!
Surgical techniques have VASTLY improved in the last ten years with technology. And it sounds like you've found yourself in a 'sweet spot', Marilyn. WOOHOO!
I know that may sound strange, but I worry about some of you guys 'out there' in rural communities. Maybe I'm totally off the mark here. Especially with you, Marilyn. (But I envision the Fed Ex truck rolling down a dusty road in the middle of nowhere, like in 'Cast Away', with Tom Hanks, when I send something out to the middle of our country....)
Obviously, this is not the case!
Get 'er done, Marilyn! The wait is going to be the one of the hardest parts.
You're going to be just fine darlin'! As Always, MY BEST! ;)

Loonwatcher
July 13th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Good luck with the surgery. I just know all will go well. Prepare some hand sewing work to take with you. Might be a good time to tackle some English paper piecing. Thinking of you.

MayinJerset
July 13th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Marilyn, New York Sue said it right, you have the best doc and procedure and you'll be sitting up eating a hard roll and drinking a cup of coffee and on your way to really good health before you know it. Sure wish it could be happening today so you don't have to 'fill in' the time but keep talking to us here at the forum and the time will pass.

lilmouse
July 13th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Continuing to hold you up in prayer...love you

WendyI
July 13th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Waiting STINKS but be thankful because if you were here you'd be at least two months or more waiting. Wait times are horrid here. Not that ANY period of waiting if fun. Can you pre-occupy yourself with PICU quilts? At least that would be non-stressful and enjoyable! Of course, you can always come here for venting too! Hang in there doll! It'll come sooner than you think!

alliek
July 13th, 2013, 10:41 PM
You sound at peace and with complete confidence in your doctor, GOOD. Upholding you in prayer.

SallyO'Sews
July 14th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Glad you have a date, and that you're comfortable with your surgeon. Feeling that you're in competent hands makes a huge difference. Will be praying on the 26th for you and your entire medical team!

auntiemern
July 14th, 2013, 12:39 AM
I do feel pretty good about it. Praying now that my lymph nodes are all clear. Still scared, but I am allowed to be. Cancer is a scary word. Having never had surgery before is scary too. I cry when I want, and laugh when I can. Trying to stay busy so I don't over think everything. I did finish my first PICU quilt. Kept me busy, and gave me a sense of accomplishment.
Glad you have a date, and that you're comfortable with your surgeon. Feeling that you're in competent hands makes a huge difference. Will be praying on the 26th for you and your entire medical team!

pcbatiks
July 14th, 2013, 12:47 AM
You sound at peace and with complete confidence in your doctor, GOOD. Upholding you in prayer.

Agreeing with Allie.......happy to see that you are feeling more confident. Will be praying that peace will be with you throughout this time.