PDA

View Full Version : Just got to tell you

mom4him
July 11th, 2013, 07:45 PM
I think I shared about Richards van not working well last week when we needed to bring him home. And I shared that he had a Dr appointment this afternoon in RC. Did I tell you it is right now 96 degrees here?

Richard had the van looked at and of course they couldn't find anything wrong. Put in some stuff that was supposed to help it and we head off for a day in RC in the 90 degree heat. If you know anything about quads you know that for the most part their body can not temperature adjust like a normal person so heat and cold can be very dangerous for them. We got to town, no problem. We did all our running and Dr appointment, no problem. We head for home and get to where we are almost to the main street we would take to our house and guess what. The van dies. I get it started and limp it a bit farther and it dies. I do this a couple more times and it is beginning to get pretty hot in the van so Richard told me to park it and let him out. We were to where we only had about 7 blocks to walk! He went ahead as in the power chair he can go much faster than I can walk so he got home and in the air fairly fast. I was HOT by the time I got home but not bad.

God is so good. I was praying all the way there and rejoicing all the way back that we weren't having problems.
Just got to tell you that this is the last time I am taking that thing to RC or anywhere out of town until they really figure out what the problem is. He has an appointment the middle of Aug. but if they don't have something figured out we are rescheduling it for cool weather.

MartinaG
July 11th, 2013, 07:55 PM
7 blocks in that heat doesn't sound like a lot of fun. Glad the van got you at least that far.

PeggyM
July 11th, 2013, 10:11 PM
God is watching you. The van could have died on an interstate. I'm saying a prayer they figure out the problem with the van so you can rely on it. Hope you have all cooled down.

baslp
July 11th, 2013, 10:22 PM
I hope they find out what the problem is, so do not have to worry before any other trips to RC. After 3 visits to the service station , the mechanic finally found the problem part in her car.

K. McEuen
July 11th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Have your mechanic check to see if the van is vapor locking. Not sure what year it is, but some older model vehicles have issues in the heat and the gas vapors, etc. build up in the carburetor and don't allow it to get fuel flow like it needs. Once it cools down it will work, which is maybe what it was doing as it was limping along, then died again. I bet if you went back to it a couple hours later it started and ran fine until you got it home.

A vapor lock problem won't show up when it's cooler, so they would have a problem diagnosing it.

Sandy Navas
July 11th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Karen is right - been there, done that.

Miss Sheri
July 12th, 2013, 12:33 AM
Sandy, you and Richard were being watched over and cared for by a very loving Heavenly Father. It is amazing to see the miracles in our lives every day, the little ones as well as the big ones. Hugs! ~Sheri

mom4him
July 12th, 2013, 12:53 AM
We had it in the beginning of the week but it was cooler and couldn't figure anything out. My dh and I got it home a couple hrs later without a problem. It is an older van, 1993 I believe. I wish he could get a new one but that takes about $60 + by the time you get it equipped for him.
The main thing is we got home and all were safe.

K. McEuen
July 12th, 2013, 01:11 AM
It sure sounds like a vapor lock to me. All it really takes to fix it is some carburetor adjustment usually.

aqua-teal71
July 12th, 2013, 01:55 AM
i vote with the others, sounds like vapor lock. i had it on an old car, and it would only happen in the summer.
sorry about the heat. we were stationed up there from 1992 to 1996 and loved every minute. it we could have found jobs we would
still be there. we are coming back in september after 16 years to see how it looks. we used to camp up in Robeiux lake almost every weekend. are there quilt shops there. they used to have a fabric shop fabric town or something. it was in; an old kmart complex.
sorry i tend to ramble. i am glad you are safe. may God keep you safe.