• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blondie
    Missouri Star
    • May 2010

So, it's Thursday

Happy Thursday Folksies!

Yes, it IS Thursday. After waiting around all day yesterday for the new owner of the mall complex to return my call, I had to resort to calling my early morning clients to reschedule. Perhaps he will deign to call me today. His sort of secretary kept effusing about what a wonderful person he is. I told her perhaps he will take off my rent all the money I have lost the past 3 weeks. I think I am the only one in that conversation to think it was a clever thing to say. Sighs.

Let's not talk about unpleasantries such as why I work to pay my bills. Let's talk sewing, quilting, gardening. Let's not speak of mundane things like laundry, dirty floors, toilets . . . we shall instead speak of things like the lust of the eyes while shopping online for fabric, or out of desparation for the touch and smell of new fabric you go to Wal-mart,
    just to walk down the single aisle to touch second or third run bolts of fabric. Can you relate? I mean, dishes, cooking, scrubbing, stinky, sweaty clothes will always be a constant. But the need for fabric, while always a constant, changes with each month or season. And there is so many lines left to be discovered. And what to do with the fabrics just dazzle my brain with variety.

And gardening? Oh yes, we can speak of that. Who cares that my squash are rotting because of all the rain! I have blackberries! Big, delicious, juicy blackberries! They are HUGE.
    Just as with snaps, 'maters, these all seem to ripen overnite. Oh yeah. I make a good mixed berry crumble, easy as can be with the blueberries and blackberries I picked yesterday. It has the Luscious Larry Seal of Approval.
    My secret? fresh fruit enough to fill the bottom of baking dish, one box of white or yellow cake mix sprinkled over the fruit, one stick of melted butter on top of mix and fruit. Top that with chopped pecans or walnuts. Cook at 350 for about 30-35 minutes. Quicker than measuring out flour, etc. And we can talk about the serious yum factor when you serve it warm with some vanilla ice cream. Hmmm. Just thinking of it again - it would make a good breakast to go with my coffee. Fruit, flour, dairy. Oh yeah, My breakfast is calling me.

Have a great day. Prayers and smiles for each one here.
    Sewing mends the soul.
    sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

• Monique
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2011

Re: So, it's Thursday

Good morning Blondie. Mmmm sounds delicious. I hope you get things straightened out the landlord. I would withhold rent and see how fast he gets in touch with you. Enough said.

I am thinking of all the fabric I WANT and can't afford. LOL!! Thanks for putting that thought in my head.

Another work day. I can't wait until I am done with this assignment. Then I will be on 'holidays'. We will be going up the hunt camp at the end of the month.

So yesterday, in the mail, my renewal passport application is returned to me. UGH! Now I have to use the long form and do it all over again. Just because I forgot to add an address. Seriously? I will wait until my work is over and I can go in person to the passport office myself. Ridiculous.

Well that is my gripe for today. I wish you all a wonderful day.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• toggpine
      Missouri Star
      • Aug 2009

Oh man Blondie!
      I went out to pick our blueberries and the birds got all of them! I have a few green ones left, so I'll be erecting a bird net cage later today. I went to get the raspberries and my husband and daughter got to those first! So no fresh berry pancakes for dinner. I might have to hotwire the berries to get enough to put up. The blackberries and huckleberries won't come on until later in August around here.
      Well, I am up sewing at crazy hours again. I nearly have the inner border done on the hand-dyed quilt top. I'm pulling the points out into the border to complete the pattern. I must have been nuts to try this, but it sounded good at the time. Then I'll put a skinny frame border on it and call it good. I need our bed to lay it out on and since hubby is sleeping in it, I'll have to wait to finish until later today. I also finished off a D9P top that has been languishing on the UFO pile. I think I'll self-bind that one as I have the bumpy cuddle fabric for the back.
      I had better hit the hay for a little while, or my seams are going to be wandering all over the place!

You all make it a great day and be the reason someone smiles today!
      Hugs, Cathy
      Be who you are and say what you feel
      because those who mind don't matter,
      and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2012

Oh my gosh, Blondie! You can sure describe a blackberry cobbler enough to make my mouth water profusely, and now I want to get my blackberry picking clothes on and go find some bushes! Have no clue where there might be a blackberry bush here in suburbia. My mother could find the wild bushes across the street from our home, which was an unimproved area of a big cemetery. We'd go over in our long sleeve shirts and pants in the hot, hot summer, and pick, but boy, was it worth it! She made jams and jellies, and I'm sure a cobbler or two for our efforts. I'm going to the Pacific Northwest later today, where MARIONBERRIES are the fruit of the month, I hope we get some berries to make a cobbler or two while we are there. My sister has someone who comes to her work to deliver berries to the workers once a week, I think Thursday is the day, so maybe there will be cobbler built tomorrow morning before we travel. Last year, we did this, and took it with us on the road, it was yummy!

Going to Oregon for the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show. Can't wait to see the beautiful creations, the beautiful mountains, my sister and her husband and two hilarious fur boys. My sister made contact with a former neighbor who she grew up with who will be visiting a relative near where the quilt show is being held, so we'll get a chance to visit her while we are there.

My sis doesn't have a way for me to access the internet, so I will be limited to the phone to check in. I'll take pictures and share with you when I get home.

Note: DD and SIL and 2 big dogs are now living with me. We've had one confrontation between dog and cat, it was short lived and no blood was shed by either feline, canine or human. I don't think that will last, but, OH WELL, what will be will be.

Comment

• MayinJerset
          Missouri Star
          • May 2012

No berries growing here but my friend does have some blueberry bushes in her back yard so it is possible to grow them in suburbia, though not as much fun as picking them wild. She hasn't offered me any so maybe this year's crop isn't much or the birds have gotten to them. Next treat from her backyard later this summer will be a few figs. I remember when I was a kid and waiting for the figs on my grandfather's tree to ripen, they were small but oh so sweet.

No coffee this morning as I have a doctor's appointment at 8:30, regular check up and blood work so I had to fast. Hope doc is on time today as I want to get back home before DH finishes the pot of coffee.
          Last edited by MayinJerset; July 11, 2013, 05:13 AM.

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by MayinJerset View Post
            No berries growing here but my friend does have some blueberry bushes in her back yard so it is possible to grow them in suburbia, thought not as much fun as picking them wild. She hasn't offered me any so maybe this year's crop isn't much or the birds have gotten to them. Next treat from her backyard later this summer will be a few figs. I remember when I was a kid and waiting for the figs on my grandfather's tree to ripen, they were small but oh so sweet.

No coffee this morning as I have a doctor's appointment, regular check up and blood work so I had to fast. Hope doc is on time today as I want to get back home before DH finished the pot of coffee.
            My husband grew blueberries in our suburban back yard, but usually the birds got most of them. We put nets over them, but one day found a robin inside the net GORGING on our berries! Where there's a will, there's a way!

Comment

• MRoy
              Missouri Star
              • Jul 2011

Good morning! This is my last work day this week before my long weekend...11 more days of work after today. One thing I'm really looking forward to is not having to be at work at 7:30 every morning. I live in one time zone and work in another so it will be nice to get back in one zone and stay there! Have a wonderful day!
              *~* Myrna *~*
              *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

• Iris Girl
                Missouri Star
                • Jan 2013

Good morning all! I remember as a kid going blackberry pickin, barefoot and in shorts and tanks top, we did get some delicious jams and buckles. then we moved no bushes where we are now. I grew raspberries for awhile for my mom but no more.
                Another HHH day here wish the tropical rain forest would leave us to our normal summers. I don't function well in the heat it makes me sick and lazy.

Did get some quilting done yesterday but then T storms threatened the power grid and I never did get back to it.

Work today at least there is AC there.
                Hugs to all that need and want them, have a great day.
                sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                Sigmund Freud

Comment

• buckeyequilter
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jan 2012

Well I believe the storms are past us for now. Water is everywhere...we have a creek that borders 2 sides of our property and we have a hill out back that goes down to the creek...I can see the creek from my door. It should be going down now. Haven't been out to look at the garden yet.

I made a quilt for a great-niece and it is ready to bind. Then I will sandwich and quilt the next quilt...which is for another great-niece.

Have a wonderful day! Prayers and hugs
                  Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                  I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

• Bubby
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jun 2011

Hi Everyone...

We've had a rollicking good morning with Scotties running and flying through the house. Dottie is a masterful jumper...she will run and jump and bank off a piece of furniture to change her direction in mid air! This is a new one for me from a Scottie. She shows us a new aspect of her personality every day! The last thing my DD said to me was, "Mom, you haven't even seen how Dottie can jump yet...." All I can say is Wow! If I can get it on video I'll post it on YouTube (it's that amazing!).

Blondie, your cobbler sounds divine! I made a blackberry cobbler last week from berries picked in our woods. Jean, Marion berries are fabulous...just like boysenberries...my favorite berry. You need to buy a lot and freeze them to bring back home. Be sure to drop a bag off to me on your way home!!!!

I have hopes of sitting to sew for a while today. I tried for a while yesterday, but two dogs and a quilt on my lap at the same time was just too much. I tried shutting the girls out of my sewing room but they stuck their noses under the door and cried the most broken-hearted tune you ever heard. Maybe today....

I'm off to see the Wizard.....Hugs All Around
                    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Renate
                      Missouri Star
                      • Oct 2012

I am with Jean, just now short after noontime and a very quick saussage from the grill, my mouth is watering from the desrcribtion of Cobbler.
                      Today evening we are invited by our neighbors Werni and Elsi owning a small boats house at the Lake Constance and as I know Elsi, supper will be a wonder.
                      Whats next? I decided not to worry about UPS (they lost 2 parcels within goods for our Company) and it feels great.UPS is not the Boss about how I feel. I called them and what should I say, the help desk is situated in Littauen, what means next to Russia. Can you imagine? You call from Switzerland to ask where your parcels are and somebody from nearly Russia, hardly speaking German, answers and says "I don`t know nothing". I see it as a joke. As I wrote to LisaPC yesterday: we can fly to the moon and much farer, but we cannot send a parcel from France to Switzerland in a useful time. Really a joke.

But let us look forward into the comming Weekend: we will go to France for Golfing (ok, I could pick up my parcel there hahahaha), a great Weekend with a competition from our supplier. Sunday evening my DH will go home, but I will stay and have a Meeting with an eyewear designer to talk about the next spring collection.

Whats on my sewing machine actual:
                      1 Baby quilt, for doing the binding, should be ready latest tomorrow
                      1 Wallhanging quilt with sailboat pattern, each single sailboat an own design and paper pieced
                      1 Wallhanging quilt with the Sujets out of Pam Hollands book "The adventure of the amazing Alphabet", each block is painted first with fabric colour and than handquilted.

Besides the Baby quilt all are longer Projects, therefor no pics today.

wish you a great day

Comment

• mom4him
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2013

Oh, Blondie, my youngest son would really like to come live with you. We went to Safeway on Monday and he didn't ask for any snack except a small container of fresh blackberries. By Tues morning they were gone! My dh asked what happened and Tobias opened his mouth with the last one in it.LOL

Today I am off to town with my oldest son for a Dr. appointment. I am sure we are going to have to do a transfer and staples on the front will come out. I don't think they will remove the stitches on the back as that incision has some healing to do yet. We are hoping she will let the wound care nurse that comes 3 times a week right now take them out instead of having to go back. It is so hard on him to have to do the travel plus his van isn't being very happy in this heat. It is a scary thing to be stalled along interstate, in this heat with a quad whose body doesn't adjust to heat. I'm thinking we are going to go this morning and get everything done that we can and hopefully be able to come back home as soon as the appointment is over. Maybe we will miss some of the hottest time.

Have a great day, all.
                        Be blessed,
                        Sandy

God has a plan and it is a good plan.

Comment

• Miss Sheri
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jan 2013

Good Morning friends!

Blondie, I am so there with you and that mixed berry crisp! I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and berry picking was a part of every summer. Now, in Utah, I grow Blackberries, Raspberries, and Strawberries. I tried growing some Blueberries this year but did not have much success. A full month with no rain and they just didn't stand the heat very well, even with the hand watering. I make raspberry jam, blackberry syrup and jelly, and numerous things with the strawberries.

It is a beautiful morning here today. It will be too hot again, but its summer in the desert so it is expected.
                          I did finish one crib quilt yesterday and got a lot of progress on a dresden lap quilt for my mother. Hoping to finish that top today so I can begin quilting it. Her birthday is coming up in a few weeks.

Have a happy day friends! Hugs, Prayers and Best Wishes to one and all.
                          sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

• CrazyMtnLady
                            Missouri Star
                            • Dec 2011

Good morning all...just checking in. Been up for a while now. I just got my upright freezer emptied and turned off so it can defrost..boy did it ever need it. Hopefully it won't take too long to defrost. Since it is in our outdoor kitchen, with the heat we are having it shouldn't take long at all to defrost. Also got my dishes done and have started cleaning the kitchen.

I am taking some time for myself to sew now and then. Got to get my Christmas box filled you know.

Blondie, your cobbler sounds delicious. I did see a few blackberries the other day and am waiting for them to ripen.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.
                            Hugs and prayers to all.
                            Donna
                            MSQC: Where Strangers become Friends and Friends become Family!

"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears."native American wisdom

sigpic

Comment

• Sandy Navas
                              Missouri Star
                              • Dec 2010

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, raspberry cobbler and coffee!

Blondie: DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT - all your efforts to contact the new mall owner. Judge Judy is waiting to hear your case.

No baby as yet. DD and DSIL spent all evening and half the night in the hospital under observation. At two this morning they sent her back home. She is plumb miserable with capital letters.

Hoping to finish a SSS project today . . . who knows what else will happen. Yesterday I got disgusted and got ONE of the girls to help me clean the living room, dining room, and kitchen. Oh, the debris that follows little kids around . . . walk about Pigpen . . . crayons, snips of paper, dropped grapes, dirty socks, and the ever growing pile of hair elastics and ribbons (they multiply like wire clothes hangers).

Al has had a difficult yet improving time while visiting with his Mom. Hurtful at first because she didn't know who he was. He took in a photo album and yesterday they spent time going through pictures and she 'woke up'. Even talked to her older sister on the phone and was so excited that her Alberto was visiting her. On a sorrier note, Al got a phone call from his niece in Israel and Al's only sister just had lap band surgery and wasn't breathing following surgery - so she's hooked up to a respirator. Only 52 but she has had such health issues, of course her weight, but she has multiple sclerosis and diabetes and residual effects from continued prednisone use.

You know, the best laid plans . . . I'll just have to see what the day unfolds for me. Meanwhile, I do send special prayers to those facing difficult health issues!!!!! Hugs and all that warm fuzzy stuff all the way around!!
                              Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                              it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Working...
                              X