PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it interesting?

Sew Perfect
July 10th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Isn't it interesting how people will say they have no interest in quilting whatsoever like it's the plague, but want one made for them? This just bewilders me so much. Does anyone else have friends like this?

SandyWhite
July 10th, 2013, 10:14 PM
:icon_neutral:Not anymore.

bhaggerty
July 10th, 2013, 10:53 PM
Lol! Agree with Sandy!

New York Sue
July 10th, 2013, 11:08 PM
I CRINGE every time I think of this story, but it just came to mind, after reading your post. There was a member here that made a baby quilt for a coworker, I believe. She stopped in one day, without notice, only to find her quilt under him while he changed the oil in his car....
UH, NO. NADA. NEVER....

Nidan_07
July 10th, 2013, 11:35 PM
I think that non-quilters or sewers may be unaware of the cost of the things that we make, as well as the time and effort that goes into them. I have only ever made for my family or very best friends who have had babies, and am going to make some for charity this year, too. I think that once some people hear how much the materials cost alone they completely lose interest, if they are expected to pay for them. Quilting is my therapy and relaxtion time away from working. I feel that making quilts on consignment (I think that is the correct term) would stress me too much and take the enjoyment out of it. Just sayin'......
I am sure there are lots of non quilters out there who appreciate the whole cost and process of what we make.. but there those that don't.

Sew Perfect
July 10th, 2013, 11:52 PM
I saw on Craislist tonight that a man was advertising heirloom quilts for $300. It was his Grandmother who made them. It's like my husband said, "You can't put a price on those".

Mchelem
July 11th, 2013, 02:29 AM
I have friends who love quilts, and know the value and time that goes into one, they just aren't interested in quilting themselves.

HdWench
July 11th, 2013, 06:26 AM
How sad the man on Craig's list selling a treasure for little value!! Not 1 person in that family to gift what must have been a loved memory?

Nidan I learned how to quilt in November so I could make QuiltsForKids - then Quilting took my life over (and I LOVE IT)... But it is my "fun" time like yours. I have gifted the ones I want in my family and a couple friends but the rest... I make a new or interesting pattern for a child, not someone who will pressure me on time or the costs!

My DH made the observation that it costs him about 1K in fabric since November so I could cut up 3 tubs of "Scraps" for a scrap quilt hehehhe Well....isn't that called FREE fabric now?

I so this for the pure love of sewing! But you are right SewPerfect - the "few" friends that have not received a quilt from me have inquired about making one - NO I'm much too busy is my answer. I often say things to those people like --- oh that quilt? That took me 2 + months to make and I work 6-8 hours a DAY on my sewing/cutting quilting!

You could also send them a link to MQS saying get a Gift Card to help me purchase fabric for the Kids Quilts. I know once they see the prices and how many Jelly Rolls, or charms or yardage of fabric it takes and all the time to get it done - Once their eyes glaze over, just say some wild number like it cost about $500 for a BABY size

Some how just because we learned how to sew, they forget every needle and pin used, every tool COST us money to begin, heck our sewing machines can be thousands of dollars, and they want to pay McD's wages for us to use them to make them What???!!

LOL oh NO NYSue!! I would have ripped that quilt out from under the oil changing man!!! god!

Monique
July 11th, 2013, 06:38 AM
I quilt for the pure pleasure and my projects go to family and friends. Someone commented on a purse I made. You should make a bunch and sell those. I am not interested in making 20 of those. If asked to make another, I will but not 20.

Momofmonsters5
July 11th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Lol I think I'm a selfish quilter! I've only gifted quilts to children and family. A few close friends want a quilt and one I will make because she helped me when I went through my divorce years ago and I stayed with her rent free. I like all my fabric I get tired of some and make a quilt for a special child once in a while. The only thing I've sold are girl clothes, I have them buy all the materials though and then pay for my time. I only charge $5 an hour because I enjoy sewing. My response when people want me to make them a quilt is that ill teach them to quilt. They can start out by using my tools, but once they have to actually buy fabric they tend to bail. Like somehow I get fabric cheaper .....

Iris Girl
July 11th, 2013, 08:54 AM
I quilt for the pure pleasure and my projects go to family and friends. Someone commented on a purse I made. You should make a bunch and sell those. I am not interested in making 20 of those. If asked to make another, I will but not 20.

I so agree, This is my pleasure not out for profit. someone commented on my lunch set and said sell them on etsy. My reply no way, this is my fun, people don't want to pay for your time and effort . Thats why I teach sewing , much funner to give someone the skills to do their own then do it for them.

buckeyequilter
July 11th, 2013, 10:40 AM
I only make quilts for family and friends (that are considered family). I have a neighbor that asks why I don't sell them...I tell him I have a job and don't want another one. If someone wants to buy something I've made...we'll talk...but I don't do custom. Fabric is too expensive and time is too precious for people to change their mind once something is made.