PDA

View Full Version : My Chicken Quest

CottonPickinFabrics
July 10th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Over 4 years ago, I moved from the city to the country (actually I live in a very picturesque small rural town) I have had a dream since I was a wee girl to own some egg laying chickens. This year, I am making the plunge and before the summer is through I will be the proud owners of a couple of chickens. I ordered a coop from the local country hardware store the other day and within the next few weeks I will be building the fencing for my chicken yard.I'll post pictures as progress is being made.

I know that one of my chicken's name will be Henrietta.

I have gone Clucking crazy........:icon_crazy:

Monique
July 10th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Good for you, living your dream.

RFREE
July 10th, 2013, 08:31 PM
I have always loved raising chickens.Especially silkys. Not big eggs but they are so cool. I recently sold my last chicken as we were down to 2 and something killed one of them last week so we sold the lone survivor.It is extremely hard to have them with all the coyotes and stray dogs around. Make sure you fix your fencing to keep out predators. Skunks,racoons,dogs and coyotes. Oh yea chicken hawks too. Good luck. You will love them.

ldnanny3
July 10th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Oh I love my chickens, we moved to a rural part of AR a few years ago and its beautiful here, plus I can have chickens.

alliek
July 10th, 2013, 09:10 PM
when I was a sweet young thing about 10 (many decades ago) my grandmother lived in upstate NY near Binghamton (sp?) and she had chickens and geese. I loved it. It was always an adventure as to what was going on in the chicken world. (who was picking on who, which chicken was the dominant one, etc.) Is a favorite memory. Good Luck or cluck (couldn't resist,sorry)

Kelly F
July 10th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Hi there! I am new here...
You caught my attention with ..chickens! We bought chickens over a year ago. We have red stars and they are so much fun and great pets!

MayinJerset
July 11th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Funny you mentioning getting chickens. One DGD and her DH here in Jersey bought some chickens and had them in a pen but something came along and ate them. Another DGD and her finance live in a town in CA where chickens roam free and they are building a coop for the ones they have been feeding.

Sandy Navas
July 11th, 2013, 11:04 AM
You need to meet up with Ryan (BTW where is HE??????)

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/general-chit-chat/21891-poultry-farming.html

mom4him
July 11th, 2013, 12:08 PM
I love country eggs! I get mine from a good friend. Haven't purchased an egg from the store in.....Can't remember the last time.
I wish we could have chickens where we live but can't. Enjoy you hens!

Kelly F
July 11th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Yes, farm fresh eggs are great for baking!!

Bubby
July 12th, 2013, 03:02 AM
Good luck with your chickens. They are fun to keep and to get to know. Some have cute personalities and others not so much.

rebeccas-sewing
July 12th, 2013, 07:37 AM
What fun! I hope someday to be a country gal again! I miss it.

Patrice
July 12th, 2013, 08:15 AM
The Hazards of Backyard Hens | REALfarmacy.com | Healthy News and Information (http://www.realfarmacy.com/the-hazards-of-backyard-hens-2/). Good luck! We have them too

CottonPickinFabrics
July 12th, 2013, 10:43 AM
The Hazards of Backyard Hens | REALfarmacy.com | Healthy News and Information (http://www.realfarmacy.com/the-hazards-of-backyard-hens-2/). Good luck! We have them too

A co-worker sent me a link to that video. It is priceless!!!! She said that she thought of me the moment she saw it. A friend saw the video and then asked me when I was going to get that steer.

The country hardware store called me up last night to see if I had pick up the coop and then the caller realized that it still wasn't in stock in their store. Bummer.....

I will be going to my lumber store this weekend to pick up the materials to start the fenced in chicken yard where the coop will go in. Hopefully my son will have time to help me to build it.

shannonsaulter
July 12th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Awesome..I know quilting ryan also does chickens along with a few others..Hope to see pics real soon

CottonPickinFabrics
July 23rd, 2013, 08:13 AM

Finally, the store had my coop.I assembled it last night.

CottonPickinFabrics
July 23rd, 2013, 08:15 AM
The next step is to build the fence for the chicken yard.

bakermom
July 23rd, 2013, 12:23 PM
Nice! it is nice to get fresh eggs.
Having grown up on an egg farm, I'm not real enthused about large groups of chickens. however, a few chickens aren't bad. even after dad stopped farming he kept a few hens around for the eggs.

Lisapc
July 23rd, 2013, 12:56 PM

Finally, the store had my coop.I assembled it last night.

I love that coop. I would have chickens if we didn't have Fisher Cats. As a kid I went out to the coop my Dad had and found my chickens in pieces. I don't want to go through that or have my kids see that.

CottonPickinFabrics
July 23rd, 2013, 08:04 PM

I bought the wood and the cement for the chicken yard. Tried to dig one post hole for a post. Supposed to go down 3 feet to be below the frost line. Only got as far as 1 foot. What did I get myself into?

ilive2craft2
July 23rd, 2013, 08:08 PM
That is the cutest coop! I wish we could do them here - town voted it down recently. I wonder if my neighbors would notice it? We have a tall fence around our yard......

asta
July 23rd, 2013, 08:17 PM

That is so funny, I want chickens. We used to have ducks, their eggs were nice, my husband wants ducks again. I guess another move is in store for us.