PDA

View Full Version : Wild About Quilt Blocks Swap

pdjewelrylady
March 1st, 2011, 04:39 PM
Spring 2011 WILD ABOUT QUILT BLOCKS Swap is here!

This is going to be a fun and fast swap ladies! SIGN UP NOW and gather your favorite WILD ANIMAL PRINT fabrics to create your favorite block to swap!

Each player will create blocks using WILD ANIMAL PRINT focus fabrics in her favorite or new block pattern of her choice! :D No duplicates though so sign up early and let everyone know on the group discussion page what block you will be making :icon_cool:

Each player will create as many blocks as there are players joined by March 20, 2011...... so 15 players = 15 blocks...... :D Please remember by joining the group you are comitting to playing (making the required # of blocks and mailing to hostess by mailing date) Feel free to ask questions and get to know your fellow quilty lady friends!

Mailing date by June 25th 2011

janluna
March 1st, 2011, 04:52 PM
I'm thinking about it!!!! Just thinking right now. Not sure, but I will let you know. Hugs, Jan L
P.S. I sent you a message cause I was looking at the groups board. So I asked dumb questions that you already posted answers to. Sorry. I'll let you know.

janluna
March 1st, 2011, 05:03 PM
Suzi, how big are the blocks? 10x10 again? Jan L

janluna
March 1st, 2011, 05:12 PM
Suzi, I sent you a message and it came back that you had to make space and couldn't accept anymore PM until you do. Just thought I'd let you know. Hugs, Jan L

pdjewelrylady
March 1st, 2011, 06:00 PM
Suzi, how big are the blocks? 10x10 again? Jan L
You can make the blocks whatever size you would enjoy :icon_cool:

pdjewelrylady
March 1st, 2011, 06:46 PM
Suzi, I sent you a message and it came back that you had to make space and couldn't accept anymore PM until you do. Just thought I'd let you know. Hugs, Jan L
Thank you Jan for letting me know - yikes! all clear now :) lol

Ladies - JOIN the swap by clicking on the Groups tab above and then "join group" I have posted more details of the swap there. This will be WILD when all of our beautiful animal print focus fabric blocks are joined together in a WILD Safari!! :) YIPPPPEEEEEE!!!!!!

toggpine
March 1st, 2011, 07:06 PM
Hmmm. I think I may have some cow print. That is about as wild as it gets around here! I'll have to think about it too.
Cathy

crazycatpam
March 1st, 2011, 07:14 PM
Sign me up!! I L O V E wild animal print fabs! super dee duperdeeee fun!

not sure what block i will make yet - but will let you know when i decide

pdjewelrylady
March 1st, 2011, 07:20 PM
Ladies - JOIN the swap by clicking on the Groups tab above and then "join group" I have posted more details of the swap there. This will be WILD when all of our beautiful animal print focus fabric blocks are joined together in a WILD Safari!! :) YIPPPPEEEEEE!!!!!!
AFTER you click on the groups tab - click on the picture of the animal print fabrics then click where it says "groups tools" then "join group"....... :D

Onetiredmomma
March 1st, 2011, 08:03 PM
I have blue cow print, but nothing else. So wild. *roll eyes* Let's see, March 20th. That's so soon and since I don't have the fabric, I'm going to pass I think. I'm kinda bummed, because I had planned to do this swap.

pdjewelrylady
March 1st, 2011, 08:06 PM
sign up now and then the next time you are out and about get the fabrics - after you decide what block you want to make -they don't have to be mailed until end of June! :) come on - you know you want to play!!! :D

Onetiredmomma
March 1st, 2011, 08:08 PM
Wait! I just read it again. I have until June?! I'm game! Does the whole block have to be in animal print or can it be say animal dresdens on a solid-ish background?

llm161
March 1st, 2011, 08:12 PM
I'd like to do this but I have no idea what fabric or what block. I'll go to the fabric store this weekend and get inspired. Once I have the print, it will hit me I'm sure. :icon_wave::icon_wave:

pdjewelrylady
March 1st, 2011, 08:13 PM
:icon_happy: just the focus fabric is wild animal - you then can use any printed coordinated fabric. yay!! :icon_happy:

pdjewelrylady
March 1st, 2011, 08:15 PM
I'd like to do this but I have no idea what fabric or what block. I'll go to the fabric store this weekend and get inspired. Once I have the print, it will hit me I'm sure. :icon_wave::icon_wave:
yay!! great linda! be sure to join the group :)

patticakes
March 1st, 2011, 08:16 PM
Oooohhh this sounds exciting but I am going to have to sit this one out. :-(

pdjewelrylady
March 1st, 2011, 08:33 PM
THATS A BUMMER MS PATTI :( but i know you will be watching and cheering us on :) right?!?!? :D

pdjewelrylady
March 1st, 2011, 08:34 PM
Wait! I just read it again. I have until June?! I'm game! Does the whole block have to be in animal print or can it be say animal dresdens on a solid-ish background?
YAY! Lin!! :)

pdjewelrylady
March 1st, 2011, 08:35 PM
YAY! Sandy!! YAY! Pam!! I see y'all already in the group :icon_cool:

middlesis1966
March 1st, 2011, 09:08 PM
Count me in!!! I do misssed doing the last but Im not missing this one!!!! Let me know if the guide lines end up changing. On my way over to sign up!!!!

Sandy Navas
March 1st, 2011, 10:34 PM
YAY! Sandy!! YAY! Pam!! I see y'all already in the group :icon_cool:

The only problem I see is that there isn't a designated size - when I get my 7 inch, 8 inch, 12 inch, 5 inch blocks back I may have problems putting them all together . . . BUT, I do have some wonderful fabric to use for a background . . .

I am very anxious!!!

pdjewelrylady
March 1st, 2011, 11:07 PM
that is exactly how you will piece them together by adding strips and sashings. I think this swap will be the coolest one yet!! YIPPPPPPEEEEEE! Safari!!!!! :D

pdjewelrylady
March 1st, 2011, 11:14 PM
as a matter of fact i think one of you ladies has an incredibly beautiful varied block size sampler or swap quilt in her photo album on here......who is it??? ;)

pdjewelrylady
March 2nd, 2011, 01:33 AM
Count me in!!! I do misssed doing the last but Im not missing this one!!!! Let me know if the guide lines end up changing. On my way over to sign up!!!!
YAY! Paula! Glad to see you IN!! :)

rebeccas-sewing
March 2nd, 2011, 06:20 AM
Could I ask how many people typically join in? I'm thinking of doing this when I'm back in the states. I come home near the end of May and this will give me a project to work on while I'm visiting Mom and my sister in VA. I always take something to sew since my sister works full-time and I have no car when I'm there. It will keep me busy while I'm keeping my 90 year-old Mom company during the day. I really am afraid to commit. What if 50 people sign up?!? Please let me know. I think it would be fun to join in.

rebeccas-sewing
March 2nd, 2011, 06:21 AM
The only problem I see is that there isn't a designated size - when I get my 7 inch, 8 inch, 12 inch, 5 inch blocks back I may have problems putting them all together . . . BUT, I do have some wonderful fabric to use for a background . . .

I am very anxious!!!

I agree. I would prefer to have a quilt that has similar size blocks.

johnsonshouse4
March 2nd, 2011, 11:18 AM
I think different block sizes is a cool idea. Just think of all the different options and layouts we are going to have. Each quilt will be so unique.

sally
March 2nd, 2011, 12:27 PM
Sorry gang:( I am going to have to pass on this one. I have just too many unfinished projects from the previous swaps. I will be in the stands though cheering you on!:icon_wave:

patticakes
March 2nd, 2011, 12:33 PM
THATS A BUMMER MS PATTI :( but i know you will be watching and cheering us on :) right?!?!? :D

Of course I will! Just need to concentrate on a couple things I absolutely must get done in the next few months but I hope to be back for the next one! Swaps are so much fun!

pdjewelrylady
March 2nd, 2011, 02:05 PM
Could I ask how many people typically join in? I'm thinking of doing this when I'm back in the states. I come home near the end of May and this will give me a project to work on while I'm visiting Mom and my sister in VA. I always take something to sew since my sister works full-time and I have no car when I'm there. It will keep me busy while I'm keeping my 90 year-old Mom company during the day. I really am afraid to commit. What if 50 people sign up?!? Please let me know. I think it would be fun to join in.
Hi Rebecca :) LOVE to have you join us!!
we have had 12 ladies in the first swap and 18 ladies in the christmas swap and the b/w fan that are just finishing up had 23 players. Just the right number to be fun (and useful) when the blocks are swapped out and return home :)

pdjewelrylady
March 2nd, 2011, 02:09 PM
Sally - you are so silly! just think how COOL these will be pieced WITH the blocks from last summers swap! i can so see that! :icon_cool: but i do understand - i have a set from a couple of years ago on another group that are still to be pieced together...they are all blues and not as much fun as what we have created here! LOL

sally
March 2nd, 2011, 02:43 PM
Suzi...that is one quilt top I have done using last summers blocks. I still need to finish my Christmas blocks and then there will be the fan block quilt. Plus I am doing a barcello quilt and finishing the lap quilt I am currently working on. WOW reading this list I am feeling overwhelmed....lol! :lol::lol:

pdjewelrylady
March 2nd, 2011, 03:35 PM
HAHA - know what you mean my friend :)

Would love to see the pic of your summer swap quilt :) YAY i didn't know you ahve gotten it put together :)

rebeccas-sewing
March 2nd, 2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks, Suzie. I'm going to give it a go!

pdjewelrylady
March 3rd, 2011, 03:52 PM
WHOOOHOOOOOO looks like we are at 10 players and growing...come on ladies, join the group today and make your blocks a few at a time over the next 3 months. ...these are your choice of block pattern using a wild animal focus fabric and a pretty color coordinator..... so easy and fun and are going to be really WILD! :D

Blondie
March 3rd, 2011, 04:26 PM
Hi there
I will go ahead and sign up for this. I have a feeling this will be just what I need. Another block swap, LOL.

janluna
March 3rd, 2011, 11:29 PM
I'm going to have to bow out. Sorry. Maybe the next one. I'll be cheering for you! Jan

Blondie
March 4th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I have a question about the blocks. When will we officially start making the blocks? I mean, the no duplicate blocks could be a problem. You know me, Suzi. I am always early, so want to start on the blocks ASAP.

pdjewelrylady
March 5th, 2011, 02:03 PM
GO fo it Blondie! :) yippppeeeee!!

I was meaning by no duplicates that each player make her blocks all the same (so I will be making all the same Four Corner Puzzle blocks) but no 2 players are making the same. I will start a thread on the groups page for each player to let everyone know what block pattern they are making :) good idea. SIGN UP NOW LADIES and choose your blocks YAY!! (Keep It Super Simple! and have Fun with it) looking forward to the awesome blocks y'all will be creating! :)

novice quilter
March 5th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I have never done a block swap. I gather that each person makes the required number of blocks and then I am not sure what happens next. I gather you send the blocks somewhere, (to a hostess, what is a hostess?) Please someone explain the details to me.

novice quilter
March 5th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Another question, you make the required number of blocks, I understand. Are all the blocks that one person makes all the same?

pdjewelrylady
March 5th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Hi NQ :)
yes all the blocks you will be making will be the same block pattern of your choice. (15 players = 15 blocks for example - that actual number will be determined on March 20 when sign up for this swap closes)
After you have completed 1 block for each player in the swap including yourself you will then mail them to me - i am the hostess - my address for mailing will be posted in the group discussions - along with a stamped return addressed envelope.
Once I have recvd everyones blocks - around the end of June for this swap - i trade them around so you will get 1 from each other player (they will all be different - like in the summer block swap from last summer) and I mail them back to you in the envelope you provided.......
FUN and Easy! :) and a great way to make new quilty lady friends!!
I hope you will play :)

pdjewelrylady
March 5th, 2011, 06:12 PM
ALSO - for those of you "thinking about it" - please jump in!!
There are No Quilt Police in our groups so every level of quilter is WELCOME to play! :)
Swaps are a fun way to learn how to create a new block or just sharpen a skill and meet some new friends. We welcome stash busting!! great way to swap older fabrics that no one else will have! (LOVE THAT!!)
The resulting quilt will be one you will forever cherish and always talk about and say "I made that one with my Quilty Lady Friends on the Missouri Star Quilt Co forum" !
See YOU in the group :)

newbiequilter
March 5th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Not having much stash, I waited until I went to the quilt show in NJ yesterday to sign up. Found an animal print I'm happy with and now thinking about how to use it. Have a couple of ideas.

Anniethekiwi
March 5th, 2011, 07:33 PM
[QUOTE=pdjewelrylady;24759]Spring 2011 WILD ABOUT QUILT BLOCKS Swap is here!

This is going to be a fun and fast swap ladies! SIGN UP NOW and gather your favorite WILD ANIMAL PRINT fabrics to create your favorite block to swap!

May it be any wild animal print or only from MSQC fabric?

pdjewelrylady
March 5th, 2011, 07:54 PM
ANY WILD Animal print fabric - zebra, tiger, giraffee, cheeta (think Safari animals)

i did call msq and natalie says they ONLY have zebra print ..... :( but you may find awesome coordinator precut fab at the shop..... :)

toggpine
March 5th, 2011, 10:40 PM
OK, I'm in. I found some fabric today. I found some really cute stuff yesterday, but it wasn't "skin/hide/hair print". I just had wild animals all over it. Cute enough that I may go back and get some for me if I find some extra cash!

The other thing that can be done if these swaps get to big is to put a size limit per group, and then have multiple groups. You would have to be looking at over 25 swappers for that most likely.
Cathy

Mams1017
March 6th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I have never done a quilt block swap, sounds like fun! How do I sign up?
Missy

sally
March 6th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Go to the group site and join select join. I am not diung this exchange just don't have the time but I did the 3 before and they were great!

institches64
March 6th, 2011, 10:51 PM
HI-

I have never done a swap before! This could be very interesting.. Should the animal fabric be more adult themed or is anyone using kid type wild animal fabrics? I will have to go looking but wanted to know before I bought anything. Any particular size you prefer? I will get back and sign up within a few days. Thank you!

pdjewelrylady
March 6th, 2011, 11:31 PM
For this swap use Wild Animal (skin) prints like the pictured examples on the groups page, these blocks want to play nice together after they are swapped......so keep with the look of the safari type animals - zebra, tiger, lepoard, giraffe, cheeta etc..... not novelty prints featuring animals - we can do that with a different swap. :)

block pattern and size is your choice - be sure to join the group and let everyone know on the list thread - only one player per block pattern!!

YAY! Cathy - glad you are going to play with us :) should be really COOL! swap blocks when finished! :)

Lisaau
March 7th, 2011, 02:00 AM
Sigh!!! Darnit l went and spent $50 today on fabric for the swap and come home to find l didnt get the right things... I got the fabric pictured below

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd73/Lissau/safari.jpg

pdjewelrylady
March 7th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Lissa - well - it is not a novelty, cartoony print and since you are making the 9 patch block and as long as you can keep this fabric as the focus - it is good for the swap. We will let it RUN WILD!! :) love ya girl! :)

Texsam
March 7th, 2011, 11:23 PM
I won't be able to join this time. I did the first three and it's fun and neat to get the blocks from everybody. I still need to put the blocks together from the first two swaps. Sheesh!:icon_mooooh:

Lisaau
March 8th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Thanks Suzi you saved my bacon :icon_crazy::icon_mooooh: ...................and I love you as well:icon_kiss::icon_hug:

pdjewelrylady
March 9th, 2011, 01:49 PM
well OK! thats good to know lissa LOL

sheila we will miss you - work on getting those summer blocks put together girl - we want to see your pictures!! and get ready for this summer cuz its going to be fun tooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ladies lurking and watching - sign up for this swap WILD ANIMAL prints in your favorite (great chance to try something new) block in your favorite size! we now have 21 players - whooooooo hoooooooo that is super FUN! and WILD!!

pdjewelrylady
March 10th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Here is my test block for this swap :icon_cool: I have always wanted to piece the "Here Kitty" block and now - oh yeah, hundreds will be pieced in the next few weeks! so fun and WILD! :D3630

Leigh
March 10th, 2011, 05:22 PM
That is too cute Suzi! Love it.

kelandspence
March 10th, 2011, 06:04 PM
I love that Suzi.... how cute !!!!! Any clues on what the summer swap will be ???? I really want to do it but afraid I will be poor by the time it rolls around ! lol

Kelley

johnsonshouse4
March 10th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Ok so I added a picture of my block on the group page. Hopefully I did it right. You cant really tell my background color but it is a greenish blue jungle color.

johnsonshouse4
March 10th, 2011, 06:40 PM
When you add a picture what size do you add it as? I did 1280 by 960 and it is a little big.

Sandy Navas
March 10th, 2011, 08:40 PM
From the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) tab above:
Attachments and Images

How do I attach a file to a post?

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing before the URL and after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

johnsonshouse4
March 10th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Thank You Sandy.

pdjewelrylady
March 11th, 2011, 02:11 AM
WHOOOHOOOOO !!! so exciting to see the WILD Blocks starting to come together in the group pictures!! they are great!! ladies that are still undecided - - you have until sunday to sign up and until end of June to complete your blocks......and get them mailed, come on safari with us!! International players welcome too!! :)

kelandspence
March 11th, 2011, 02:35 PM
How many blocks do we have to make ? Still trying to decide !

Kelley

pdjewelrylady
March 11th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Spring 2011 WILD ABOUT QUILT BLOCKS Swap is here!

This is going to be a fun and fast swap ladies! Sign up now and gather your favorite WILD ANIMAL PRINT fabrics to create your favorite block to swap! Why not try a NEW block pattern - something fun and WILD! lol

Create blocks using WILD ANIMAL Print Focus Fabric with your choice of coordinator fabrics.
You will be making the equal number of blocks to players ...... 15 players = 15 blocks......and so on.
You may create blocks in any size between 6" square to 12" square...... all of your blocks will be them same! and after they are swapped the resulting quilt will be WILD!!

I will post my mailing address as the mailing date gets closer. you will be sending your blocks and a return, postage paid envelope.

:)

lhayes1976
March 12th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Ooh decisions, decisions! I so want to join this block swap--it would be my first ever! But I worry so much about my skill level--still a newbie--and all I mean all of my block always have a "design feature". What do you think fellow quilters? I guess there's always that first time diving into unknown waters.

johnsonshouse4
March 12th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I say go for it. Im fairly new also and this will be my 3rd swap. You learn so much doing these blocks. You get better with each block you do and learn what you need to change along the way. join and have fun.

Sandy Navas
March 12th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Ooh decisions, decisions! I so want to join this block swap--it would be my first ever! But I worry so much about my skill level--still a newbie--and all I mean all of my block always have a "design feature". What do you think fellow quilters? I guess there's always that first time diving into unknown waters.

I think everything you do should have that 'design feature' and would LOVE to have one of your blocks in my quilt. If I'm brave enough you are, too!! Come on, sign up!!!!!!

pdjewelrylady
March 12th, 2011, 01:56 PM
GO For It!! we are all beginners at something!! No Quilt Police in our swaps!

this is the first time I have made the kitty block....have been holding off for a long time but this gave me the reason and now i am going to make that cat quilt my sister has always wanted! so fun and WILD! YAY! :)

newbiequilter
March 12th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Sorry, I couldn't find animal skin prints so I got penguins. Really cute. Planning to make wonky log cabins if that is OK.

lhayes1976
March 12th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I did it,I did it!!--I'm so excited about my first swap. I have my fabric--now for the perfect block!!

Onetiredmomma
March 13th, 2011, 12:19 AM
I'm so going to have to get rolling. The blocks are looking great!

kelandspence
March 13th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Sorry Suzi, gonna have to pass on this one !!!! I'm looking forward to what you come up with for summer !

Kelley

newbiequilter
March 13th, 2011, 06:25 PM
What size blocks are everyone coming up with??

Leigh
March 13th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I think mine will be nines. But there are a lot of 12s people are doing.

johnsonshouse4
March 13th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Mine is 9"

Onetiredmomma
March 14th, 2011, 09:47 PM
I've still got to figure out size, butI got my fabric!!! Woohoo!

Leigh
March 15th, 2011, 10:36 AM
I'm going to start on making the real blocks instead of the mock-up today. I cleaned off my old art desk in the basement and shampooed the rugs yesterday so I can set my machine up in a permanent home and get cracking! (My b-day present to me, I get to quilt most of the day today.)

Being a clutter-bug married to a pack-rat this is more of an accomplishment then it sounds. LOL I'm so excited to get started on this, and to NOT be doing it at the kitchen table where I have to put it all away before hubby gets home.

pdjewelrylady
March 15th, 2011, 01:41 PM
YAY! that sounds like a wonderful birthday thing to do Leigh! LOL about clutter-bugging - that is me toooooooo.

pdjewelrylady
March 20th, 2011, 08:52 PM
TODAY is the day! last day to join the group and get in on swapping WILD ANIMAL Blocks in your favorite (or try something NEW) block in your favorite size !! TODAY is the day! :) SIGN UP now if you are wanting to play! and for those of you already signed up - WHOOOOHOOOOOO ---- the first of the blocks are looking GREAT!! this is going to be a really exciting swap!! :)

pdjewelrylady
March 20th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Sorry, I couldn't find animal skin prints so I got penguins. Really cute. Planning to make wonky log cabins if that is OK. lets see a pic of those penguins please :)

gypsylady5
March 20th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I have my block done and ready to show you. Where do I do this?

pdjewelrylady
March 20th, 2011, 09:06 PM
go to groups and click on add pictures... YAY!

rebeccas-sewing
March 21st, 2011, 03:58 PM
I want to add my "Wild About Quilt Blocks" block to the photos but am having trouble. When I go to import the photo the little arrow keeps circling and then nothing happens. I think I've reduced the picture to a small enough size. Figures Joe would be out-of-town. I may have to be patient and post upon his return later this week. ARRRRG!!!!! Patience is NOT my strong point!

Loonwatcher
March 21st, 2011, 06:23 PM
So how many "players" are you up to? Still trying to decide. As a beginner, my blocks would be quite simple; but I think the number required would be my deciding factor. Have never done this before.

pdjewelrylady
March 21st, 2011, 06:35 PM
Hi Nancy - we are at 26 players right now. that is just about right number of blocks for a lap size sofa quilt or a couple of table runners or something else fun and WILD :) join in!! - you will be glad you did! and we will love your "quite simple" blocks!! :)

Loonwatcher
March 21st, 2011, 07:37 PM
I'm so tempted but with so many things on my plate right now I think I better wait for the next swap - if its a simple one. Wouldn't want to default on the program and let you all down. Have fun ladies!

pdjewelrylady
March 22nd, 2011, 12:14 PM
understand - thinking about it already (just can't help myself!! LOL) .......will be loads of summer fun! :)

toggpine
March 25th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Anybody have a preference for size of block. I can make the "Claws" pattern in either 9 or 12 inch squares. I have a sample of the claws pattern in my album. That one is in turquoise and blue, but this one will be in Zebra print. I'll be making a mock up over the weekend and hope to post a pic here when done.
Thanks!
Cathy

Leigh
March 25th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Cathy, what a gorgeous block that claws pattern makes. Can't wait to see it Wild.

crazycatpam
March 25th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Put a picture of my block on the group page (and one here toooo just because!) finishes at 9" - Stack and Whack block with wild animals sleeping in the wild safari sunset - hope you like it! I does :D

MissieP
March 25th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I havnt done a stack and wack..is it easy? love the block

craftyladysam
March 25th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I does too! LOL The colors are nice together! I am so excited I found some camel print. Show pics later. :) Sam

sewsoft
March 25th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Camel print? I bet that looks awesome!

janluna
March 25th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Very pretty block. Great job! Hugs, Jan L

institches64
March 26th, 2011, 07:58 AM
That looks great! I am worried - I was only going to do a pinwheel with 2 fabrics (giraffe) but when I see what you ladies are doing, I think mine will be too plain. I wanted to do it because this is my first time with a block swap. Should I figure something else out?

pdjewelrylady
March 26th, 2011, 09:36 AM
stitches - yours will be wonderful whatever they are!! :) keep it simple with no stress. We will love love love what ever block you make and swap - that is what it is about - sharing and having FUN playing in our fabrics and creating a little something for our quilty lady friends.....

Sandy Navas
March 26th, 2011, 10:49 AM
That looks great! I am worried - I was only going to do a pinwheel with 2 fabrics (giraffe) but when I see what you ladies are doing, I think mine will be too plain. I wanted to do it because this is my first time with a block swap. Should I figure something else out?

I don't think your blocks will be plain at all. Don't try to rethink the 'box'. Go for it!!

craftyladysam
March 26th, 2011, 09:30 PM
That's what I love about our swaps ,nobody is competing. We just enjoy the process and learn so much from each other. Remember there are no quilt police on this site! Go with what you feel good about and enjoy the fun! Anything you do will be wonderful I'm sure! :) Sam

institches64
March 26th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Thank you ladies! I just wanted to make sure!

toggpine
March 27th, 2011, 04:23 AM
By all means, please do what you are comfortable with! I usually make a block that I have done at least once before, for this size of a swap.
There is no harm in playing with other block patterns, but don't commit yourself to making 26 of something that will make you crazy! How plain can they be anyway? They are made with animal prints!

rebeccas-sewing
March 27th, 2011, 08:16 AM
It's supposed to fun, gals! No stress.

Lisaau
March 27th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I hope to start on my 9 patch blocks in the next day or so ...thats if l havent broken my upper knuckle in my right index finger .. I jammed it in the left passenger door on my car on saturday night. But rest assured l'm determined to get this swap done. upper finger is purple and my nail is black. A trip to the dr is in order l think

Sandy Navas
March 27th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Lisa - I'm feeling pain for you! Sure hope you haven't broken your finger.

crazycatpam
March 27th, 2011, 05:29 PM
4059fixed my WILD block - sorrrrrryyyyyy - no more sewing in the dark on a stormy night! hahahahha :icon_heh: (me thinkers Suzi knows me betters than that!!)

ouch lissa! wrap it with a wooden stick and red/white fabrics and I hopes it will feel so much better (either way you get to enjoy the fudge bar first!!! yipppeee doooooo)

Loonwatcher
March 27th, 2011, 05:50 PM
OUCH Lisa! :0 Sure hope it's not broken. Take care!

llm161
March 27th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I saw penguin fabric at Joanne's. My 13 yr old grand daughter was with me and she fell in love in it. I told her that no, someone else was doing penguins. Then she saw the cow print and wanted a bathing suit made with that. Geez, she swings from one thing to the other it drives me crazy. LOL!

Lisaau
March 29th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Just wanted to let you know.....my finger isnt broken l got it xrayed yetserday... :)

rebeccas-sewing
March 30th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Glad to hear it, Lisa. Now, you just need to heel so you can get back to sewing! Thanks for the update.

mamaquilt
March 30th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Well good for you. Get well soon.

Leigh
March 30th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Glad to hear its not broken.

pdjewelrylady
March 31st, 2011, 02:32 AM
How are everyones WILD blocks progressing? mine are completed and ready to swap - YAY!! :) two a day is the easy way :)

rebeccas-sewing
March 31st, 2011, 05:08 AM
The block I'm using for the swap is in progress. I'm doing assembly-line sewing so it's going pretty fast. They should be completed in a day or so. I won't be back in the states until the end of April so you won't receive mine until then.

pdjewelrylady
March 31st, 2011, 10:16 AM
Good job rebecca - no worries - they are not due to mail till jube - wayyyyyy to long - what was i thinking! LOL!! :) did you go with the second block for the swap? and using the first one for your own quilt? look forward to seeing it :) yay! :)

johnsonshouse4
March 31st, 2011, 10:52 AM
My blocks are done also. Im going to sign the back and send sometime next week.

Sandy Navas
March 31st, 2011, 11:05 AM
If I don't have my blocks finished today, they definitely will be finished by tomorrow. I've made great progress on them. Even made a special trip to buy a 12.5x12.5 template to square them up before sending them off to you.

Maybe I need to consider more blocks . . . naw. On to another disappearing 9 patch I have in the works.

Lisaau
March 31st, 2011, 11:16 AM
Pokes suzi and says wash your mouth out it's not too long ...at least for us Newbies ....june isnt long enough ..l havent started yet....hopefully in the next few days l'll be able to start as this pain lessens in my finger.........please dont shorten the time

Sandy Navas
March 31st, 2011, 11:23 AM
Pokes suzi and says wash your mouth out it's not too long ...at least for us Newbies ....june isnt long enough ..l havent started yet....hopefully in the next few days l'll be able to start as this pain lessens in my finger.........please dont shorten the time

She's not going to shorten the time, Lisa . . . but my thinks your finger would heal faster if you hadn't poked Suzi . . .:lol::lol::lol:

Lisaau
March 31st, 2011, 11:27 AM
:D:D:icon_happy::lol::lol: Me finks she needs a good poking sometimes hehehehe:icon_heh::icon_heh::icon_heh:

pdjewelrylady
March 31st, 2011, 11:41 AM
HAHAHAHAHA you know i wouldn't do that to ya lisa - but do get going or i will need to be poking ya back! :) LOL

i just love the process and am ready to start a new one! geech! and LOLAMWSS! (laughing out loud at myself while sorting stash!)

Lisaau
March 31st, 2011, 11:56 AM
Hmmph !! There be no poking of the poker..ya know its really hard for us Aussies and all seeing we be spending our lives upside down ...down under typing wiff our toes and holding a needle in our mouths....Hmmph!!!!

rebeccas-sewing
March 31st, 2011, 12:14 PM
Good job rebecca - no worries - they are not due to mail till jube - wayyyyyy to long - what was i thinking! LOL!! :) did you go with the second block for the swap? and using the first one for your own quilt? look forward to seeing it :) yay! :)

Yep! Going with the second block. Excited about the little quilt I'm going to make with the first block.

lhayes1976
March 31st, 2011, 04:34 PM
You girls are making me nervous!! I haven't even started--I better put it in gear and "Git R Done". I'm on spring break next week, so maybe I can get a few completed, if the weather is bad--if it's pretty I'll be in the garden.

Leigh
April 1st, 2011, 11:54 AM
I've only got two made so far....but I do have some block sets made so I have another four on the way. The block with the two quarter square triangles and 1 half square is a real pita. Taking me way longer then I thought. I need to kick myself into gear and get more finished.

pdjewelrylady
April 1st, 2011, 01:37 PM
The best thing I have found with swapping blocks is to make up a couple at a time, when i think about it. :icon_cool: i find for me it is important to NOT put them toooo far off to any one side. Always have the fabrics or blocks or cut pieces in sight and within reach..... This helps to keep it stress free and they are completed and are ready ready to send off to the hostess right on time (or early - love it when that happens!) :D
*I learned this when my girls were in school - it always made me so crazy when they would say "mom, i have a project due tomorrow that i haven't started on yet"...... ugh! crazy kids!! LOL :lol:

toggpine
April 2nd, 2011, 01:27 AM
Lisa H,
Don't worry, I haven't started mine yet either. The fabric is sitting on the table, but I HAVE to finish a few things first. I can't get to cutting until I get the other blocks off the table. I'll be wrapping up a SIX year old UFO and completing a year long round robin swap with the two thinks on the table. Then I can do the Wild Thing guilt free, well, almost.
Cathy

Leigh
April 2nd, 2011, 09:27 AM
Thanks Suzi. That is what I am doing. I have a cloth basket on its side with the wild fabric in it. All other fabric is in a hope chest that I have to move things off of in order to get to it. (Well, except the pillowcase fabric I bought for my two girls.) But the pillowcases are going to be my prize for getting the next four or six wild blocks finished.

Speaking of kids homework projects - my 9yo finished her book report book two weeks ago. Now she needs to write the report. Gotta get her on that later today.

lhayes1976
April 2nd, 2011, 01:39 PM
Feeling better about the swap now--I completed four this morning. If I do four a day, I should get them all done before spring break is over. Still about 55 degrees here--when it hits 60, I'm heading out to do some spring planting.

Sandy Navas
April 2nd, 2011, 07:08 PM

If I could keep them, I would.

lhayes1976
April 3rd, 2011, 09:00 AM
Sandy==I love it. I've never given animal prints a second look, but swap blocks all look amazing.

rebeccas-sewing
April 3rd, 2011, 02:32 PM
Oh my gosh, Sandy!!!!! They're gorgeous! I don't know how you're going to part with them either. What a gorgeous quilt that makes. I just finished my blocks and somehow ended up with 31. Don't know how that happened. The method for piecing this block left me with a ton of small half square triangle pairs. I'm going to make mini-pinwheels with them. Maybe I can combine the four big blocks with the little pinwheels and make a small quilt. I just need to clean up the edges of the blocks and then put them away til I get back to the states end of this month. Do you have enough fabric left over to make yourself a D9P quilt with them. Even if it's a small quilt it would be sooooo pretty.

If I could keep them, I would.

JanJ
April 4th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I've never participated in a block swap, but am thinking of hosting one for a group I belong to. Can someone give me the down and dirty on the particulars involved in one. It's my turn to host, and never having done any of the group/guild type stuff before I'm at a loss. What are some of the other activities that groups/guilds do when members are spread out all over the country....we've recently finished a round robin and an ugly quilt challenge which were quite fun so I certainly don't want to repeat those.

UFOQUEEN
April 4th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I have done 2 mystery quilts with my guild. They seem to enjoy them.

Leigh
April 4th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Yipee. I figured out how to get my three triangle block using tube quilting. Things should start going a lot faster now. Did make two more blocks today.

Sandy Navas
April 5th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Yipee. I figured out how to get my three triangle block using tube quilting. Things should start going a lot faster now. Did make two more blocks today.

Isn't it a great feeling when you discover how things work - and get the result you need? Great going!

newbiequilter
April 5th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Wow, Sandy, those are fabulous!

Leigh
April 5th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Isn't it a great feeling when you discover how things work - and get the result you need? Great going!

I am just SO happy about it. I made a bunch more this morning.

crazycatpam
April 6th, 2011, 12:07 AM
I am finished with mine! whew weeeeeeeeeeeee :) You ladies are all so fun and friendly! the swaps are looking so good - can hardly wait to get them all back! thank you for letting me play! huggger wugggers!

Leigh
April 6th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Muhahaha. Just figured out that the amount of block units I just stripped together, once cut, resown and cut, will give me all the units of the hard block I need to make my 27. I was starting to worry that I might not have enough of the fabrics. but I should.

Here is a question though, most of my blocks will end up around 9 inches. Some will be more like 12. It doesn't really matter does it? Since everyone is only getting one block.

newbiequilter
April 6th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Note to self, next time buy more fabric. I don't think I was planning on making 27 of the same block and I'm going to need to get more fabric. On the plus side, I counted 14 finished, more than half. Will load pictures if I can get them off my camera.

pdjewelrylady
April 6th, 2011, 12:41 PM
you ladies are rockin'!! I LOVE THAT!! Yipppppeeeeee!

Everyones blocks will be perfect whatever size they are - this quilt is going to be AWEsoME WILD!

toggpine
April 11th, 2011, 09:31 PM
OK, so let us see if I can load the photos of the Wild Things Zebra Claws blocks.

Well, maybe not. I can't find the URL thingie for the photos on my computer. Ugh. Technology!

I'll go try to load it to the other places on the forum.
Cathy

toggpine
April 12th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Still no luck posting photos here. You can check out the two blocks at http://toggpine.wordpress.com/2011/4/11/wild-things/

Let me know which one you prefer, so I can get started on them right away.

pdjewelrylady
April 12th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Cathy - did you try loading on the group home page (please)
:) the cute novelty print zebras are very cute but the solid zebra print works best for the swap :)

toggpine
April 12th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Yup. I tried everywhere. I haven't been able to upload a photo here since early fall.

So noted.

Lisaau
April 12th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Ok my 1st block is completed let me know what you think

Loonwatcher
April 12th, 2011, 05:59 AM
Lisa, that's a great block!

Lisaau
April 12th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Thanks Loon you think so ????...I wasn't sure so l thought l'd post to see what others thought

rebeccas-sewing
April 12th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Lisa,

That's really pretty. I love the purple and the two animal prints really blend well together. I would love to have all 27 blocks! I'm looking forward to receiving yours and all the other animal blocks as well. I'm a big fan of the 9 patch block. I like the way you laid it out.

Rebecca

Lisaau
April 12th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Thanks Rebecca............I'm glad you like it ....I thought the same thing when l'd completed it ..I was thinking l wouldn't mind a throw over the back of my couch. I might have to go to the quilting store tomorrow and see if l can get some more fabric

magx
April 12th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Lisa, love your block, very creative. love the lions print.

rebeccas-sewing
April 12th, 2011, 07:45 AM
I would if I were you. I'm actually getting 2 more quits out of the fabric I bought for the swap. Those first blocks I made (before I changed my block for the swap) will make one quilt and then I ended up with a bunch of little triangles that were left from my piecing for the actual swap block. I had so many that I was able to make a bunch of small pinwheels for another quilt. Then there's the third quilt from the swap blocks.

I've been meaning to ask you about your profile picture. Please explain the face makeup, etc. I love that photo!
Thanks Rebecca............I'm glad you like it ....I thought the same thing when l'd completed it ..I was thinking l wouldn't mind a throw over the back of my couch. I might have to go to the quilting store tomorrow and see if l can get some more fabric

Lisaau
April 12th, 2011, 08:09 AM
My pic is johnny depp as the "mad hatter" from his movie "Alice in Wonderland".........hehehe I love "JD".......l'll definately try and get more fabric.........thats alot of left over fabrics to make quilts

Sandy Navas
April 12th, 2011, 10:27 AM
My pic is johnny depp as the "mad hatter" from his movie "Alice in Wonderland".........hehehe I love "JD".......l'll definately try and get more fabric.........thats alot of left over fabrics to make quilts

Lisa, I laugh when I see your Avatar because one of my granddaughters does competitive ice skating and for an artistic performance last fall she did the Mad Hatter - I made her costume and it was fantastic. She won first place in her group, too. I had so much fun making the hat, the tie, the tails . . .

newbiequilter
April 12th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Cathy, I love the faces, I think the contrast with the plain strip points looks great. There are others of us with faces so your faces will be right at home.

craftyladysam
April 12th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Lisa, your block gets a wow from me! That is beautiful! I've decided to make my grandson a quilt with our swap blocks so now when I see one of our blocks I think of Tucker and I know he will love that one!!!!!!

Cathy, I'm having trouble putting up my pics too. I looked at your block on your site and I agree with Suzi, I love the one with all zebra print.Enjoyed looking at your site! You did good with that sewing room! Better put something at the window or fabrics will fade from the sun. :) Sam

rebeccas-sewing
April 13th, 2011, 06:00 AM
I'm so disappointed, Lisa! I was thinking, "Wow what a fantastic Halloween costume and make-up job!" Looks just like Johnny Depp! Hahahaha.

Lisaau
April 13th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I'm so disappointed, Lisa! I was thinking, "Wow what a fantastic Halloween costume and make-up job!" Looks just like Johnny Depp! Hahahaha.

Lol !!!! we dont really do halloween here in Australia ...althought l do decorate for myself and my husband and make scary food for th enight and watch horror movies

johnsonshouse4
April 13th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Lisa, I love your block and wouldn't change a thing. The colors work beautiful together.

Deb

rebeccas-sewing
April 13th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Over here in London, I saw Halloween items on the shelves in the grocery store near Halloween, but I sure didn't seen any signs of celebration when the big day actually arrived. It's a really big deal in America, as I'm sure you know. I've made a number of costumes over the years for my girls.
Lol !!!! we dont really do halloween here in Australia ...althought l do decorate for myself and my husband and make scary food for th enight and watch horror movies

Lisaau
April 13th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks deb ......think I like it aswelll......Rebecca I love hallo ween ......I like the really dark goth type of decorations..........

Lisaau
April 14th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Here is another pic ..the blocks are growing ...got 1 completed and 9 ......9 patches done ready for their borders and cornerstones :)...and another strip set done :) motoring along :D:D:icon_heh:

Loonwatcher
April 14th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Can't wait to see all the lovely quilts you ladies are going to make with these wild blocks. Looking great so far.

toggpine
April 14th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Rebecca, isn't it amazing how those little pieces add up to make a decent sized quilt? I had a crib sized pinwheel quilt done with all of the leftover HSTs from a wedding quilt. I almost tossed them, but decided to hang on to them for when I wanted some mindless sewing. Next time I'll square them all up first! It was a bit wonky at the finish.

Thanks for you comments on the blocks. Suzi said I can't use the fabric with the zebra faces for this swap. So I'll use that for a quilt for here. I have all of the green wedges cut out, now I am working on the black background fabric pieces, then on the zebra print. I forgot how many pieces it meant that I would have to cut out for 27 blocks when I decided on this pattern! I guess it is the finished project that matters!
Sam, thanks for you lovely comments. I have the blinds pulled unless I'm working in the sewing space. I also have a piece of decorative denim that I hang over the wire bins for added protection. Trying to avoid sun bleaching the fabric if at all possible!

rebeccas-sewing
April 16th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Go Lisa go! I know you're having lots of fun working with that gorgeous fabric!
Here is another pic ..the blocks are growing ...got 1 completed and 9 ......9 patches done ready for their borders and cornerstones :)...and another strip set done :) motoring along :D:D:icon_heh:

rebeccas-sewing
April 16th, 2011, 06:27 AM
I'll be careful not to throw away my scraps until I've really taken a look at what's left. Fabric seems to be getting more expensive. No point in wasting what can be used in another project. The big problem is figuring out what should be tossed. Some are pretty obvious and others I'm not so sure.
Rebecca, isn't it amazing how those little pieces add up to make a decent sized quilt? I had a crib sized pinwheel quilt done with all of the leftover HSTs from a wedding quilt. I almost tossed them, but decided to hang on to them for when I wanted some mindless sewing. Next time I'll square them all up first! It was a bit wonky at the finish.

Thanks for you comments on the blocks. Suzi said I can't use the fabric with the zebra faces for this swap. So I'll use that for a quilt for here. I have all of the green wedges cut out, now I am working on the black background fabric pieces, then on the zebra print. I forgot how many pieces it meant that I would have to cut out for 27 blocks when I decided on this pattern! I guess it is the finished project that matters!
Sam, thanks for you lovely comments. I have the blinds pulled unless I'm working in the sewing space. I also have a piece of decorative denim that I hang over the wire bins for added protection. Trying to avoid sun bleaching the fabric if at all possible!

lhayes1976
April 16th, 2011, 12:22 PM
12!!!! I'm slowly getting these babies done. WooHoo!!

pdjewelrylady
April 19th, 2011, 06:44 PM
WHOOOOHOOOOO awesomely WILD Lisa!! :) That is great... keep at them a couple a day and they will be done before you know it :D

rebeccas-sewing
April 20th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Getting close to that 1/2 way mark, Lisa!!! Rah, rah, rah sis boom bah!!!

pdjewelrylady
April 27th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Hey Sandy!! Your Beautiful Wild blocks are here!! YAY!!! :D

newbiequilter
April 28th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Could you repeat the instructions for signing our blocks? I seem to remember we should sign on the back, which will then be hidden by the batting and backing.

pdjewelrylady
April 29th, 2011, 02:33 AM
yes, sign on the back of the swap blocks for this swap - please check in the group discussions for details - you will also find my mailing address there :)

gypsylady5
April 29th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Only 4 more to go, Suzi. I'm so excited to see the end in sight. I like the blocks and am looking forward to making this a cute throw for my grandson. Good idea. What's next on the drawing board??????

:icon_wave::icon_wave::icon_wave:

pdjewelrylady
May 3rd, 2011, 02:26 PM
WILD blocks are starting to arrive !! LOVE IT!! these are going to be so cool when all swapped and sent and pieced together in WILD projects!! yipppppeeeeeee :)

Look for the new swap to start soon (hint: get your floral focus 2.5" strips ready!)

toggpine
May 4th, 2011, 02:27 AM
I've got the 3 patch strip sets done. Now to attach them into the 9 patch block. Some how I seem to have come up short one center. I'll assemble them and the see if I just can't count, or if I just can't count when I cut!

Whoo hoo! Getting closer to finished!

craftyladysam
May 7th, 2011, 02:28 AM
You guys are ahead of poor little(ha) me! I got about fourteen done, that's about half! Keep on doing, I think I can, I think I can, I know I can! Might need a alittle push! (ha,ha)

Sandy Navas
May 7th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Keep on doing, I think I can, I think I can, I know I can! Might need a alittle push! (ha,ha)

I'm here, pushing and pushing and pushing!!!!!

toggpine
May 7th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I put them in the mail on the 5th! Whoo Hoo! I did have all the pieces. One must have been stuck to the other.

Keep going ladies! You have over a month to get them done! You are doing fine!

pdjewelrylady
May 8th, 2011, 09:59 AM
YIPPPPEEEE! Missie & Cheryl your B E A U T I F U L Wild blocks are here!! :) Keep at them ladies a few at a time and we will be swapping before ya know it :) Love that!! :)

MissieP
May 8th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Fantastic.. that was super fast delivery!! and thank you! soo looking forward to the swap.

Leigh
May 11th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Nine down, nineteen to go.... I haven't been able to work at it for a couple of weeks - but I am back on the bandwagon now cranking out a couple each day.

pdjewelrylady
May 11th, 2011, 03:15 PM
that is wildly wonderful leigh! keep at them a couple at a time and they will be swap ready before too much longer :) YAY!!

pdjewelrylady
May 17th, 2011, 05:24 PM
WHOOOOHOOOO more WILD blocks arrived today!! Looking forward to a wild safari swappin' soon :) lol

craftyladysam
May 20th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Hey Suzi! Sorry I missed your call! I have done 18 blocks so far. Just felt down for a few days but have got the spirit back and hope to finish soon. Do we need to square these? Sam :)

Sandy Navas
May 20th, 2011, 09:10 PM
And I need to get my moola in the mail to Suzi!!! Never have the green stuff since all I use is plastic now days. Wake up, Sandy!!

rebeccas-sewing
May 22nd, 2011, 05:57 PM
I'm prepared for mailing. Just need to get to the post office this week.

rebeccas-sewing
May 22nd, 2011, 06:00 PM
Hey, I just looked at my avatar thingy and it says I'm "The Guild President." That's a joke, right? Otherwise, I'm gonna have to duke it out with Suzi since hers says she's "The Guild President."

Sandy Navas
May 22nd, 2011, 08:29 PM
No duking it out over titles - but you can duke it out over quilting scraps or fat quarters!!!

toggpine
May 23rd, 2011, 09:47 AM
There are a bunch of us with the title of guild president. It's like being the king of your own castle. I think the queen is the only one who can make you a duke, or in your case, a dutchess. :D

rebeccas-sewing
May 24th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Here I thought I was special! LOL. My blocks are in the mail as of today! Yippee! Geez Louise postage has gotten outrageous!

newbiequilter
May 25th, 2011, 07:01 PM
AARG! Finally signed all my blocks, and I'm one short. Have to drag out the leftover material and cut some more pieces. Darn!

toggpine
May 26th, 2011, 04:52 AM
I thought I was going to be short too! Some must have gotten stuck together or the "Momma, Momma, Momma" chant threw me off. Apparently I counted accurately when I cut, so I didn't have to drag it all out for one more, but the fear was there. Thankfully you have some material leftover! THAT would be worse.

You can do it! You are almost done!

pdjewelrylady1
May 26th, 2011, 12:17 PM
haha no thanks - happy to be a princess! :)

SO EXCITED to see the WILD blocks arriving - they are all so wonderful and fun fun fun!! YAY!!

institches64
May 27th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Sent mine out a few days ago. Hope you get them soon.

lhayes1976
May 27th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Just checking into let you know I still chugging along slowly. School's out next week--so hopefully I can really start cranking the rest of them out. I'm getting nervous about making the deadline.

pdjewelrylady1
May 28th, 2011, 12:03 PM
hi Lisa - good to hear from you!! a couple a day and they will be ready to swap in time for the :) mailing date June 25 :) keep it going..... Thanks for the update!! :)

pdjewelrylady
May 28th, 2011, 05:28 PM
institches..... they are here... they are here.... they are here (think Horton heard that?? LOL) YAY!!!! :D

institches64
May 28th, 2011, 09:41 PM
:D Thank you for letting me know! I can't wait to get my bunch!

gypsylady5
May 29th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Gave mine to Suzi yesterday. She said she likes them. Geez, Suzi, I forgot to sign them again. Can you do it for me? :lol:

Leigh
June 7th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I'm moving along slowly. I am determined to make the deadline. Cranked out another 5 today. I'm over halfway done....but for some reason I thought we were 22 not 27. But...27 it is. Away I go back down to the sewing table.

pdjewelrylady
June 10th, 2011, 10:48 AM
YIPPPPEEEEE!!!! Craftylady sam your WILDlyWILD blocks are here!! :)

pdjewelrylady
June 13th, 2011, 11:07 PM
oh ladies!! I was playing with the swap blocks today!! :lol: they are all so FUN FUN FUN and WILD!!
You are going to love love love them!!! only a few more to make their way here and swap day will be here! Yipppppppeeeeeeee!!!! :D

institches64
June 14th, 2011, 08:00 AM
I am so thrilled for my first swap! What does everyone do with theirs? Make it and give away, keep for yourself? I was thinking of maybe being able to make 2 smaller quilts and give to quilts for kids. Will have to see them first and figure it out! Thanks ladies!:D

llm161
June 14th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Mine was originally supposed to be for my granddaughter who is going to be 13 in the fall. She is animal crazy. But she is more into snakes, spiders and other little critters. We'll see. I'll figure it out. I probably won't want to give it up. LOL! I can't wait to see the blocks all together though. Think we can have a peak?

pdjewelrylady1
June 14th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Mine will be in my sewing room - yes, i have a plan!! YAY!!
Linda - you are a group member so you can view all of the photos in the group album..........after the swap is complete it will be open to everyone :) they are all wonderfully WILD!! :)

lhayes1976
June 15th, 2011, 10:35 AM
It's been rainy here for two days, so I finally got a chance to get in the sewng room. I now have 17 complete--determined to be finished by Saturday--whoo hoo!!!!

Loonwatcher
June 15th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I've been jealously reading all your posts. Can't wait to see what you all do with your blocks. Enjoy!

toggpine
June 16th, 2011, 02:54 AM
With this one, I'll have 6 swap quilts to deal with. #6 is the Wild Thing swap. #5 is the Christmas version of the Around the World Quilting Bee, and still on it's way to me. #4 needs two more Disappearing 9 Patch blocks to make it a usable size (haven't made those up yet). I have #3 ready as a completed top for my Mom. #2 is my Halloween quilt like Mom's but is still in blocks. Finally#1 is my first Around the World Quilting Bee set of blocks.
I will eventually complete all of them. Two of them are seasonal and I'll probably rotate them. The Halloween quilts were doubled up on purpose as Mom LOVES to decorate for the holidays and I thought it would be fun for her bed. The scrappy D9P will probably be used as a practice quilt for some free motion quilting and end up as a quilt for either the car or the barn. My ATWQB blocks will be made into a keeper quilt for sure. I made some good friends with that group of ladies. It will be nice to have as a couch quilt for myself.
I have learned a lot since I started swapping. I don't join unless I have a feel for the swappers anymore. That D9P was a real disappointment. Some of the blocks looked like anything that could be sewn together was. I certainly don't expect $10/yd fabric, but I think some of this is questionable as 100% cotton. It will make a fine quilt for keeping in the car or a barn quilt for those late nights/early mornings waiting for babies to be born.
I have found I prefer to attach a person to the block instead of just getting a pile of blocks in the mail. I like the connection to the maker. The Wild Thing quilt will most likely be made to take with me on our girl trip in January. It can get a little chilly on the coast at that time of year. Even if I am still quilting it, I can snuggle under it while I stitch!
I can hardly wait to get them back so I can start playing with how to lay them out! I haven't made a quilt with all different sized blocks before. I like the look of them, but haven't tried one until now!

lhayes1976
June 19th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I DID IT! I DID IT! I finished all 27 blocks. WOW! I can't believe I did it. Talk about slow and steady wins the race. I've been working on these off and on since the swap started. All I need to do now is sign them (need to find the right pen) and get them in the mail.

Sandy Navas
June 19th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I DID IT! I DID IT! I finished all 27 blocks.

I'm so excited!!! Slow and steady wins the game. Did you post a picture under the Group?

lhayes1976
June 19th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I do have a pic of my block in the group pics. Any suggestions on where to get a pen that won't bleed through? What brand?

Sandy Navas
June 19th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I do have a pic of my block in the group pics. Any suggestions on where to get a pen that won't bleed through? What brand?

Lisa, I got the pen I used from JoAnnes. However, I was extremely disappointed in it. I had done a previous block that asked for the signatures to be in brown ink. The only brown JoAnnes had was in a package with other colors. Unbeknownst to me, they were extremely fine and may have even been old and drying out. I had a most difficult time with them. If they hadn't been so expensive I would have thrown them in the trash.

Do you have a Hobby Lobby or Michaels around? Or an art supply shop.

Here's Suzi's instructions on signing the blocks: Thank you for the reminder about signing the blocks sandy (you must be getting ready to send off? LOL)

FOR THIS SWAP we will sign the blocks on the BACKSIDE OF THE BLOCKS ....... there is already so much going on with these that i feel it would be disruptive to the beautiful patterns to sign on the front. IF someone after receiving wants to copy the info to the front - that is up to her Please be sure to use a pigma (or similar) pen so it will not bleed through. also, You are welcome to attach a small note to your block for swapping but please use a small safety pin not a straight pin to attach it

Mimis-quilts
June 19th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I'm waiting for pictures of the completed quilts...seen some neat blocks!

toggpine
June 19th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Lisa, I use either a Micron Pigma or a Millennium by Zig pen. Either have worked well for me. You can find them in the scrapbooking section. They are usually sold individually there. (If I can't buy the pens singly and check the freshness of the pen, I take the packet to the sales clerk and ask that they watch while I open it and test to make sure they aren't all dried up.) I wouldn't buy anything smaller than .05 for writing on quilts. I have an .08 that makes broader lines, but can be harder to fit into small spaces. I'd practice first to get the hang of writing on fabric. Hold your fabric down tight with your finger tips. Sometimes it is easier to break up the the letters into segments to work with the grain of the fabric for a good signature. If you are still having problems, you can iron a piece of freezer paper to the fabric for stiffness. The freezer paper trick works better when you are signing on the front of the quilt block though.
For this block, I wrote on the seam allowances. That way the ink would not bleed through the fabric thicknesses.
Congrats on completing the blocks!
Cathy

lhayes1976
June 20th, 2011, 08:20 AM
They are signed and ready to go. Off to the post office I go. This is my first swap, so I want to make sure they arrive in nice condition--do I just use one of the envelopes the PO sells? What do you guys do?

Sandy Navas
June 20th, 2011, 10:09 AM
They are signed and ready to go. Off to the post office I go. This is my first swap, so I want to make sure they arrive in nice condition--do I just use one of the envelopes the PO sells? What do you guys do?

Lisa, I used an envelope that I bought from a local business supply office. I think the PO envelopes would be great, too. Don't forget a self-addressed stamped one to return (I did and had to send Suzi another . . . duh).

toggpine
June 21st, 2011, 12:14 AM
I use the heavier envelopes the P.O. sells. Not he padded job, but the one that is a bit stiff.
so far, I've had good luck with them holding up in the mail. The Tyvek ones will do a good job too. (Tyvek is the papery plastic material.) The P.O. usually only has those for the priority mail though. Business supply/office supply might have a wider selection.

pdjewelrylady
June 21st, 2011, 12:26 AM
:) the priority mail tyvek envelopes for the swap blocks are perfect and they are free at the post office :) remember to include the return stamped envelope :) getting close :) YAY!!!!

gypsylady5
June 21st, 2011, 10:17 PM
Guess what, Suzi. I forgot to sign the blocks. Can you take care of it for me? Please? Pretty Please? :0

meemeecyn
June 21st, 2011, 10:26 PM
You guys are awesome! I hope I have the courage to do a block swap sometime. They sound like a lot of fun.

pdjewelrylady
June 23rd, 2011, 09:37 PM
YIPPPPEEEEE!!!! Another set of awesome WILD blocks arrived today .... we are getting close ladies.......:icon_woohoo:

pdjewelrylady
July 7th, 2011, 01:38 PM
On the watch for the last 4 sets of blocks to make their way here.... will it be today??..... i will let y'all know!!

yipppppeeeeeee (do they say that on safari?? LOL)

Leigh
July 8th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Mine go in the mail today Suzi. I'm so excited.

pdjewelrylady
July 9th, 2011, 01:31 PM
YAY!!!!! Kims Wildly Wild blocks are here!! and they are a perfect addition to the zoo!! LOL

3 sets to go and swap day ready!! :) I can hardly wait!! YAY!!! :)

pdjewelrylady
July 11th, 2011, 08:42 PM
YAY!!!! Leigh your awesome ly WILD blocks are here - 2 more sets to go and we are ready for swap day!! YIOPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ;)

pdjewelrylady
July 26th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Good Morning - FRIDAY is the day - Swaps will be Swapped!! If yours are not here (and you know who you are) get them here by friday please!! Love playing in the swap blocks and looking forward to friday - yippppppeeeeeeeee!! these are awesome blocks !! you ladies ALL did a great job!! :)

pdjewelrylady
July 29th, 2011, 11:54 AM
WILD Swap blocks are laid out to be swapped today!! YIppppppeeeeeeeeee!!!! :D

we have a few ladies that did not complete the swap :( bummer - soooo in fairness I am asking for a majority vote. PLEASE ONLY VOTE IF YOU PLAYED (sent swaps to me for swapping) !!

Would you rather
1. receive back your same blocks

2. receive back random other players blocks

(either way this creates a duplication of blocks)

click on the poll to vote please and thanks :icon_cool:
again PLEASE ONLY VOTE IF YOU PLAYED!!

llm161
July 29th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Looks like we're 4 for 4 so far. LOL!

UFOQUEEN
July 29th, 2011, 10:09 PM
As far as the poll, whether to keep my blocks or get someone elses, it doesn't matter to me either way.

craftyladysam
July 30th, 2011, 11:19 AM
More work for poor Suzi! Sorry sweetie, would love to have other ladies work I can have mine all the time and on the finished work will be mine. Gotta finish the other ones I have! Lol Am I running on? Having said that I shut up!

toggpine
July 31st, 2011, 07:19 PM
Apparently I can't vote because the poll is closed. I am good with whatever really. They are probably already in the mail, winging their way here!

pdjewelrylady
August 6th, 2011, 12:33 AM
YAY!!! All of the blocks have been swapped and were taken to the post office by mr jewelrylady today!! yipppppppeeeeeeee they are so wonderful and WILD!! Thank you ladies for playing!! :)

MissieP
August 6th, 2011, 03:27 PM
yaaa.. cant wait to get them!! thanks for all your hard work! im so excited

llm161
August 6th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Thank you so much for doing this swap. I can't wait to get my package in the mail.

craftyladysam
August 6th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Suzi, you are the best! Thanks for all you do for our swaps! They have been so much fun. It's like Christmas when they come in the mail!
I just made some mini snuglets for GSS. Soooo easey peasey! Cut holes for sleeves insert sleeves and you got it! Sam