PDA

View Full Version : Vacation pics and some Swedish trivia!

Wwena
July 8th, 2013, 05:18 AM
So I promised pictures! Here we are, a few of the very many taken (don't you just love having a camera phone - you never forget to bring your camera!).

Last friday I left work (for good! new one in August!) and we drove down to my aunt who live in the house she, my father and their four other siblings grew up in, outside Varberg on the Swedish west coast. My parents were there too and the next day we went to a family reunion hosted by my cousin, on the beach Apelviken in Varberg. It's a famous and really good camp site. My cousin and her husband both drive motorcycles so they have this great big bus that used to be a tour bus, that they can put the bikes in. That's where our family reunion was at! Or rather, outside in the adjoining tent. The weather wasn't too great so the tent really came in handy. ;) It easily fitted more than 20 ppl for a sit down meal (bbq!).

We all made a trip to an old gas station turned into a museum. Many at the party had fond memories about lots of the stuff in there, for sure. :) My kids outside the gas station:

When we got back the rain had stopped so we went for a beautiful walk along the coast. I took this picture of the Varberg fortress (fästning) which is HUGE but we were a really long way off. Varberg has belonged to both Denmark and Sweden alternately throughout history so this fortress has served both sides more than once. It now houses a museum with "Bockstensmannen", a really old (and very dead) man found in a swamp close to my fathers home and is dated to have lived and died sometime around 1300.

We then proceeded back home to the trailor where my sister and her family joined the party.

The day after my mom and I went to Ullared, which is the site of a famous Swedish shop called Gekås. DH took my father and the kids to Grimeton radio station where they were celebrating Ernst Alexanderson who was a pioneer in radio back in the day and actually was the first one to send spoken radion (not only Morse code) on Christmas Eve of 1906 on the east coast of the US. There were som really surpriced people on ships outisde the coast then, let me tell you! Anyway, they had a face painter there, which Alice really enjoyed:

A couple of days later we went to Liseberg, Sweden's biggest amusement park. This year they had opened a whole new sectaion called "Rabbit land" (their maskot is a big, green rabbit) that were for kids. We had a hard time leaving that area of the park lol. Here are my kids in the first ride of the day "Grampa's cars":

The day after we left that part of the country to go to Småland and High Chaparal, which is an amusement park themed around the wild west. The kids had a blast, there were several shows to watch were very skilled stuntmen performed funny and (for the kids anyway) scary tricks. One of the shows featured Zorro:

And Alice (David too) FINALLY got to ride a horse, something she had been promised for a while but that had been cancelled due to bad weather.

There was a tivoli next to the park and the kids obviously had not gotten enough of rides after Liseberg!

We stayed in a hotel in the neraby town of Värnamo and they day after we went to visit my DHs family in Elmeshult, which is the place that gave us our surname (Elmsjö which means elm lake). His uncle Nicke used to run the farm there but has given over the reigns to his son many years ago. He still helps out lots though and still live on the farm, with his partner Ulla. His other son lives on the farm too, in a house close to the main one. Such great people, no wonder they want to all stay close. :) Here is Nicke showing a working record player (grammofon) to my kids, who danced to the old music.

Ulla gave me som fabric she had bought at an auction (!!) and wouldn't use, so I was a very happy camper. She then told us about a small fabric store in the closest town Eksjö, that had a clearance sale before closeing down, everything was 40% off. Of course we had to go there on our way to the family cottage!!

Eksjö is such a beautiful little town, really old and old style.

Then we went to spend a couple of days in the cottage (belongs to my parents). The weather was lovely, we almost didn't go home. :)

The last two pics won't upload, I think I hit a limit hehe. Putting them in another thread (sneaky!).

Jean Sewing Machine
July 8th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Wow, Anna, what a great trip for you and your family! Loved the pictures and the commentary!

I have a question--what is a tivoli? Amusement park? We have an old theatre in St. Louis with that name, but I never thought about where the name came from.

Swedish leo
July 8th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Wow, Anna, what a great trip for you and your family! Loved the pictures and the commentary!

I have a question--what is a tivoli? Amusement park? We have an old theatre in St. Louis with that name, but I never thought about where the name came from.

Tivoli is like a carnival/amusement park. You have a lot of carusels and lottery and stuff. Often they are traveling carnevals.

Swedish leo
July 8th, 2013, 07:45 AM
It sounds and look like you guys had a wonderful vacation!!

Welcome home again!

Monique
July 8th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Wow what amazing photos. Sounds like an absolutely wonderful trip.

Jean Sewing Machine
July 8th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Tivoli is like a carnival/amusement park. You have a lot of carusels and lottery and stuff. Often they are traveling carnevals.

Thanks, Annika, that's what I thought, just didn't know where the word came from.

Blondie
July 8th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Oh Anna! Thank YOU for sharing your vacation with us. It certainly looks as if your family enjoyed their time together. Your children's expressions are priceless.

quiltingtrish
July 8th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Wow - thank you for sharing with us. I was hoping for photos of the beautiful places you went to. And your kids! They are so beautiful.

Hugs,

nyscpa2be
July 8th, 2013, 09:05 AM
I think Sweden is now added to my European to-go list! It looks like fun!
My God - Alice's eyes are beautiful! So blue!

laf512
July 8th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Great pictures! Sounds like an absolutely wonderful trip! Thanks for sharing!

MayinJerset
July 8th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Wow, you and your family really packed a ton of activities in your vacation. Your cute kids really enjoyed all the amusement park rides and get to meet so much of your extended family. Enjoy the rest of your vacation and Good Luck with the new job.

Wwena
July 8th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Thank you for the nice comments!! I can wholeheartedly recommend Sweden as a place to experience. :)

Tack Annika - tivoli is a carnival, yes!

SallyO'Sews
July 8th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Thanks so much for this, Anna; so glad you and your family had such a wonderful trip!
I love seeing the photos (your children are adorable, btw!) of Sweden; my MIL was born in Goteborg and spent her early childhood in Mariestad. My husband has never been to Europe, but one day I would love for us to be able to visit there. Hope you enjoy the little space you have "between" jobs, and that you enjoy your new work.
Blessings, ~ Sally \0/

Renate
July 8th, 2013, 12:55 PM
It Looks a lot of fun Anna, I hope you enjoy as much as I can see on the pics!

shannonsaulter
July 8th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Looks like it was an amazing time and the pics are great!