PDA

View Full Version : HOT Sunday

quiltingtrish
July 7th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Another humid day here in Central PA. Happy Sunday everyone!

Been busy reading the posts and trying to jump start the day. Usually on a Sunday morning I am at church by 8:45 AM but today starts the summer schedule. It will begin at 8:45 so I have a few minutes yet to head on down there. It's nice it is only a block away.

I've been working on the 2 heart girls quilts and have finished both of them, even labels and washed. DH keeps saying that we need to keep one (cause he knows one is going to my cousin) and I kept reminding him that I made 2 of them at the same time.

Now on to the next projects that have been started but not finished for too long. A chennile quilt started many moons ago and a red/white quilt which the top is done. A neighbor wanted the red/white one and I thought to myself - no way. I've been wanting to make one of these ever since I saw Blondie's red/white one. Well, then I thought I will just order another layer cake and jelly roll and make her one. They are not to be found anywhere - not here, not on ebay, nowhere. Then when I was in Lancaster last week, I saw the line it came from and thought that it wasn't the same thing and they didn't have all the fabrics to make it the same. I came home and it IS the same thing! I literally tossed and turned last night dreaming about the quilt and what I should do. I could go back to Lancaster (an hour and a half away) tomorrow when they are open again. When I woke up fully, I realized how silly and piggish I am to want to keep it and what will I do with it? It will sit on the pile of finished quilts for me to walk by and admire. So, I have decided that after church today, I will head downstairs to the stash and see if there are any scraps left. I wanted a small size anyway like Blondie did - mine are a lot larger since I used the 10" squares and 2 1/2" strips. And if I don't find any scraps left to make my little one that I can hang on a wall and enjoy so much more, I decided to take off the bottom row of the finished top and turn that into a table runner for us! My neighbor will get the rest and will never know I took the bottom row off. Win-Win for both of us!

Well, you all have a great Sunday and as Blondie would say - SMILE and pass it around!

Hugs,

Monique
July 7th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Good morning Trish. What dilemmas we face, huh? I am still sitting on the fence about the binding on my dresden plate. I may just stick with white. OYE! Yes another hot one again today. At least the sun is shining. I have no idea what hubby wants to do today, but he wants to do something. Maybe a flea market?

Have a great day everyone.

Ginny B
July 7th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Good morning all. Yes, another hot, humid day here. We kept the a/c on all night last night in our bedroom and dh slept great - me, not so much. I really prefer having the window open with maybe a fan going but I knew it would be too hot for him. So I am moving a bit sluggishly this morning but got lots to do so I need to get my self in gear. Need to bake some brownies to bring to a cousins get-together this afternoon and I also desperately need to get some yardwork done (weeds, weeds, weeds!). We went out to dinner last night instead of cooking and when we came back, I actually went out in the yard and weeded a couple of our raised beds. It was still pretty warm out but at least the sun wasn't beating down on me. Then it started to get too dark to work. So I am heading out there now and will just limit my time so that I don't overdo it.

I hope everyone has a great day. Keep cool.

Ginny B

Jean Sewing Machine
July 7th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Happy Sunday, Trish! You sound like me, dreaming of my next project. And you'll probably be surprised what you find in your stash!

I spent a lot of time this holiday with my grandkids in my custody. We managed to take in two of the newly released moies, Monsters University and Despicable Me2. Both were hilarious and we all enjoyed them. Some movies made for kids make me take a nap, but not these two. Monsters University had more in it for adults than the kids understood, see it for laughs if you ever went to a big university with an active Greek life-- every stereotype character returns in monster form! Then I saw the musical 1776, just to get people in the mood for the Independence Day holiday. It was so well done, and in very simple way, showed the procedure of how independence was decided upon by the 2nd Continental Congress. And we thought there was gridlock in Congress today, it all started a long time ago.

Need to get to the sewing room for costumes, the progress is slow, and needs to rev up big time! No quilts for a while!

cyndiofthevortex
July 7th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Good morning, all! Another hot one here today! I managed to sew for a few hours yesterday in spite of the heat and finished the top of my batik star wallhanging plus a pastel baby quilt. Basting them is the order of the day so that they can get quilted this week when this heat wave breaks. Cooler temps on the way for this week with some nice rain to help those weeds to grow again after we've finally got them (mostly) under control! Thankfully DH and I love to get our hands in the soil. That and quilting are therapy for the soul for me. Hope everyone has a wonderful end to their weekend.

Learner quilter
July 7th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Happy Sunday everyone, from a SUNNY Glasgow Scotland. Sitting in the garden watching Wimbledon . Go go go Andy.

bakermom
July 7th, 2013, 11:27 AM
I know what you mean trish. If I had time i would tell you about the overalls from h***. Oh well it all works out in the end.
It's cooled off quite a bit here today after the rains that came thru last night. good thing, too. After church I'll be working in a couple small rooms getting set up for 4H judgings next week. If i get home in time i'll work on the DWR quilt I hope to enter in the fair too. I'm soooo close but hand quilting is hard on my hands(carpel tunnel).

MayinJerset
July 7th, 2013, 11:51 AM
It's hot and humid here also. Like Ginny I prefer open windows and fans going but not in this weather. Just finished straightening the deck and watering the big potted plants on it. Don't know why I fixed the deck as has been too hot to use it even with the awning down. Wanted to have lunch out there but no dice today so DH wants to go somewhere and I said YES!, I'll even treat him to lunch. Got to check out my restaurant coupons first.

Trish, While you are deciding on projects remember we have a quilt or top due for Howdy's HoeDown's in mid September. This year's challenge is Stars and for once I'm ahead of the game as I found a Star UFO that I'm going to complete, soon I hope.

rebeccas-sewing
July 7th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Lo and behold, today is supposedly the hottest day we've had so far in London since summer has arrived. It's around 80 degrees F. I'm moving kinda slow. I am quilting my younger daughter's quilt. This one is mostly being done with the walking foot. I am definitely not a fan of this type of quilting, but this quilt doesn't lend itself to an all-over pattern. I had to abandon my usual method of using the embroidery function on my machine. Shoving a quilt around is no fun in my opinion. I'd much rather let the machine do the work.

The flat is almost back to normal since our guests departed for Italy on Friday. Lordy, the little washing machine/dryer combo really makes the job of doing the laundry a challenge. I'm finally at the tail end of the bed linens, towels, etc. I'm so glad we brought over some decent air mattresses for when we have an overflow of company. There were 7 of us. It was quite snug but we managed just fine.

Joe finally scheduled my flights to the U.S. First I fly into Atlanta and drive four hours to my mother-in-law's house. Sounds like there will be lots of family there for the birthday/reunion. Next stop will be Richmond to visit sis for a month and then on to California to spend time with my girls and my friends. I'll be returning to Europe and will be living in The Netherlands rather than returning to London. I'm going to be very sad to leave this amazing city. I have to keep reminding myself that there is very little in my life that's forever. I'll be experiencing a totally different lifestyle upon my return to Europe. I need to focus on what's to come and not be blue about what I'm leaving behind.

I hope you all are enjoying your Sunday. It's getting close to dinner time for us. Joe bought all of the "Castle" series so we've been enjoying an episode or two in the late part of our evenings. We'll have Tortellini for dinner and then watch some TV before hitting the hay. When our company was here we watched "Ghostbusters!" I'd forgotten how funny that movie is.

toggpine
July 7th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Good morning!

After I finish my coffee I'm off to re-stock my sewing machine needle supply.

The main body of the hand-dye quilt top is done. Now to decide on border(s) so I can get it sandwiched and start the quilting. I do have to say that I am very pleased with the thread I bought from Connecting Threads. I just wish they had a way to ID the color after you pull the wrapper off.

Make it a fabulous day and I'll catchup with you all later!
Hugs, Cathy

Mpyles
July 7th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Good morning everyone! I still have 42 minutes if it left here in Missouri! :). Last night I went to bed around 7:30 as all day long I did not feel well. And if you know me, I am rarely in bed before 11pm much less on an evening before a day off, so you will know I really did not feel well. Some kind of stomach issue...miserable. Anyway I woke up early and got up played with the dog, fed him, did our jaunt around the yard. Came in and thought I would work on some quilting on a top I had finished. Started in, got about one line done, and had a light in my eye...visual aura warning for a migraine....ugh so off I went for the ice pack and back to bed to rid myself of it. I woke up around 10 am...all seems to be well now. I think all of this is hormonal....having loads of hot flashes the last few days...but who knows!! DH and DD were taking off to Bennett springs, a Missouri trout park with the dog. So here I am, reading the forum and thinking of going in and quilting some more.

Rebecca, sounds like you have a very eventful life. I think of what stresses me out and think oh my goodness I would be a basket case with all that change. I admire your adaptability!!

Sounds like everyone is in for a hot one, weather here is really quilt mild for Missouri in July! I can't imagine what August will bring!!

I have been watching the show and tell thread, and lots seem to be completing some beautiful quilts! Loved all the mug rugs everyone made and received!

Everyone have a great day!!

Iris Girl
July 7th, 2013, 03:29 PM
hot and humid here also. we don't have ac, well the kids do for their rooms, one put his in the other no. we like the fresh air and breezes so try and tough it out. I do have a window ac I can put in my sewing room if it gets too bad, but trying to tough it out. Really hate when can't get fresh air makes me nuts. Too hot for much sewing, finished my work set, done some laundry and hung it out. Its been thundering the last 45 mins but sun is still out. if the humidity level would drop we would have it made! Hugs and well wishes to all that need and want them.

janluna
July 7th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Hi everyone! It is hot, hot, hot here. It has been raining off and on for days! It just makes for more humid, thick, hot air. LOL Thanks to our loving Son, Joe, we now have an entirely A/C'd house. Thank Goodness! This kind of weather hits me as bad as real cold weather does. It just takes my breath away.
Mary, I totally understand where you are coming from. Hot flashes are horrible things. It doesn't matter if you have a/c or not. I can be sitting in cold air and still sweat! lol Migraines are also not nice. I'll say a prayer for you to have some relief. :icon_bigsmile:
Rebecca, so glad you are coming home for the summer. It will be nice for your kids and family to be with you. I would love to see the places you have been to.
Iris, last night our humidity was 98%. Ugh! Today is not much better.
I spent time with the kids yesterday as it was Laura's birthday party. I just love my DGD's.
Laura was so funny. This year she got to pick out all her own presents. However, she insisted we all wrap them up so she could open them. We had so much fun. I took her to Joann's and let her pick out fabric for a Bow Tuck purse. She was thrilled with it and I added a wallet out of the scrapes. Then I found a book for her to read. It is so cute. She read the back cover of the book out loud and giggled so hard she cracked us all up. I told her I want to read it when she is done with it. She was so excited because she got her first pair of high heels. Heather took her to the shoe store and the first pair she saw were 5" stilettos. Those were the ones she wanted. Heather said, "Go ahead and try them on." Laura said "I settled for the 1" heels, the other ones hurt my toes." Of course she couldn't even walk in them. Heather is a very wise Mom. Laura is such a girly girl. Emily, is the biggest "tomboy", and Heather can't get her in a dress very often. Sarah, hasn't made up her mind which way she will be yet. She is rough and tumble like Em, but she loves bling too. I told Heather and Joe she will be the girl playing Soccer with the diamonds in her ears and a chunky neckless. I had such a good time last night.
Trish, you are so kind to give your quilt to your neighbor. She will be thrilled. Love you Sweetie!
Guess I'd best go make dinner, before my DH turns into grumpy bear. Love, Hugs, and Prayers, Jan L.

toggpine
July 7th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Jan,
I am so thrilled to hear the happy report on your family. It is about time for some glad news on that front!

It must be the day for headaches. Mine showed up about noon, is sitting behind my right eye and making me queasy. I did make it to J's for the notion sale, and now have a new (sharp) seam ripper and a nice stock of sewing machine needles.
I think I may try the ice pack on the eye thing, since the Alieve doesn't seem to be touching it.

I really wanted to get the borders on that quilt today. Dang. Maybe later.

Hugs, Cath

HdWench
July 7th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Morning (well almost 6pm here so Evening!)!!!

oh my gosh we've had rain every afternoon or evening and the air is so thick it takes my breath away! I remember why we "home" base in Arizona! Hot humid so I'm staying in our 5th wheel mostly determined to do a better job of keeping it tidy?

Laughing WITH you on those hot flashes!!! When it's cold I never seem to get them (and hopefully at the end of them?) but now that's it is hot and sticky my hair even drips *yuck*!!!!

Rebecca - Traveling in the military with my father, then myself I too had to learn to enjoy the place we had been at, but try to look forward to another "new" destination! The Netherlands sound lovely, and I hope you get to stock up on fabric during your family visit home

Jan! Great to hear about your family gathering. hehehe little girls laughter just makes us all giggle! They are so cute and your description of playing rough and tumble soccer wearing earrings hehehe Glad to hear you had a good time!

Like Jean, I should be knee deep in costumes *sigh* Bodices were on my cut schedule for March - that month I slept 18 hours a day, so my stock is so low!!! I've about 8 cut out and in the works, then a quilt I've been wanting to make forever hit me -- While visiting Robin in Effingham, I found cute fat quarters with camping and fishing (and also cowboy boots and horse theme)... The 98 strips sets are made, and all 97 6" square are cut, but now I am second guessing myself about combining the fishing, camping theme with the Cowboy ones :-( And of course, despite a bazillion yards squeezed in every nook and cranny - there are not any to toss into this mix!!!

Bodices or finish this quilt.......... oh my

Oh Jean I heard such good reviews of the kids movies from my gf (who is more like 70!) and went for the fun of it!! Good to hear it was fun for adults and kids. I really look forward to seeing some of your costumes if you post them :-) I'd love it!

Ok 6 pm now and I better get steaks marinating so DH can get us fed, then try and make ANY decision that doesn't involve buying more fabric hehehehe

(((Hugs))) and prayers to all the quilty friends

Deb

Leokadia
July 10th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Sunday is my favorite day, I like to spend this day with my family outside. Mostly we spend our Sunday at beach side. My grand pa feel good during our outside tour.