PDA

View Full Version : Spent the day in urgent care

nyscpa2be
July 5th, 2013, 05:49 PM
My plans of quilting today have yet to be fulfilled. I woke up at 6:30, had a cup of coffee and a few pieces of toast, checked FB, and then vacuumed the house. After, I got what felt like heartburn. I took a couple of tums - no relief. I waited 30 minutes, and then took a prevacid. Again, no relief. By now it was more pain than burning, so I took a few puffs of albuterol, thinking it might be asthma with the humidity we have. Still, no relief. By the time my dad got back from his errands, I was wheezing and gasping for breath. He took me to Urgent Care, where I was brought right in, because my left arm was also hurting. I truly thought I was having a heart attack, as did some of the other patients in the waiting area.

I got a nebulizer treatment, and then they tried twice to get an IV in and draw 6 vials. Then the PA came in, and she touches my chest right above my heart and I wince in pain. She isn't sure what it is, so she sends me for a set of chest xrays, and orders 6 more vials of blood (the original set sat for too long). Finally, the PA comes back with the doctor. All my tests, and I mean ALL of them, were 100% fine - she said they ran for blood clots, heart attack, thyroid, CBC, and even some that they only run on elderly patients normally. And my chest xray was clear - no clots in my lungs or infection. The PA pushes on my chest again, I yelp in pain again, and the Dr, who is British, says "Ah, the lady has pleurisy." Seriously - I thought that was something that didn't happen anymore - I only remember reading about it in history books, but for some reason, I didn't think you could still get it. Turns out its a chest wall inflammation, and I need to take Aleve for the pain, and try to sleep on my left side.

Anyways, I'm still in pain, but hopefully it will go away. Maybe I can finish this baby quilt sometime this century???

HdWench
July 5th, 2013, 05:52 PM
oh honey, I'm SO sorry to hear :-( Yes, I thought that went out with the turn of the Century!!! Glad you had a smart doc who looked back in time for the clue, gosh maybe a younger doc would not have known about this!!!

Get well soon so you can finish that baby quilt!!! :-)

GuitarGramma
July 5th, 2013, 06:04 PM
You poor thing. I thought that pleurisy was just an old fashioned name for pneumonia! Here's hoping you are back to 100% quickly. I'll pray for you.

MRoy
July 5th, 2013, 06:10 PM
I've never had pleurisy but I've heard that it can be quite painful. Hope you're better really soon!

pcbatiks
July 5th, 2013, 06:14 PM
I remember having that when I was a kid........ It wasn't fun. it hurt to breath deep or laugh . Hope you fill better soon!

lilmouse
July 5th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Been there and done that except that I always get mine in the back of my shoulders....at least that is where the pain is and it is very uncomfortable.....I usually just take some anti inflammation meds.....but it sure is painful....so far I am doing okay but have had it in the past and know immediately when it strikes!

nyscpa2be
July 5th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Thanks everyone from your kind words. :)

What I didn't know until my mom got home was that I have had this before - several years ago, if not longer, I had a very similar attack, but that was in the middle of winter, and I always get bronchitis in winter. So now I know that I'm susceptible to this, which isn't a big surprise, since my father has bad lung problems to. And neither of us has ever smoked.

Monique
July 5th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Feel better soon.

GinnyKNC
July 5th, 2013, 10:19 PM
I hope you are feeling better soon! I didn't know you could still get that either.

mom4him
July 5th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Sounds like a not fun at all day! I am sorry! Praying you heal quickly.

phoots
July 6th, 2013, 12:14 AM
I sure hope you're feeling better soon!

Pam in Vegas

Ginny B
July 6th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Oh my goodness Amy. So sorry. I haven't heard the term pleurisy in ages. It sounds very painful. I hope the Aleve helps.

Get well soon.

Ginny B

shannonsaulter
July 6th, 2013, 12:49 AM
I get that from time to time and it is no fun! Take care and relax a bit..(((HUGS)))

bubba
July 6th, 2013, 01:54 AM
I have had that and when I did, I thought I was having a heart attack too! You sure get taken in for treatment in a hurry! I was hooked up to monitors before the ink was dry on the check in papers! They told me you can get it after you have had a bad cold, and once you have it, more than likely you will get it again. Thankfully, I have had it only a few times, and never as bad as the first time. And Aleve is exactly what they gave me too!

It does feel a lot like pneumonia, but instead of in the back, it's in the front...very painful. I hope you get better!!!

rebeccas-sewing
July 6th, 2013, 05:18 AM
Hope you get to feeling better very soon. I can imagine you were pretty scared not knowing what was going on. What a relief, though, to know you weren't having a heart attack.

nyscpa2be
July 6th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Thanks again everyone! Bubba, you're right - it felt just what I think a heart attack would feel like, and I was put at the front of the line of patients waiting. I was very scared, and praying more than I had ever prayed before - thank God it wasn't what I thought it was!
I took some Aleve at dinner, and then my regular night time meds, and slept ok, taking it easy today. Quilting is non-strenuous, right???

cyndiofthevortex
July 6th, 2013, 10:18 AM
My family sent me to the ER in an ambulance with pleuresy! It does feel like you're having a heart attack! I'm so sorry to hear that you had to go through this. Thankfully it is something that is easily taken care of. I've never had it again so far and it's been over 15 years.

MayinJerset
July 6th, 2013, 10:23 AM
What an adventure in ruling out all the bad aliments you could have had to find out it is something non life threatening and very treatable. Play with your quilting today and relax.

BellasQuilts
July 6th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Have you ever been to a chiropractor? I go especially when I have a chest cold, etc. Really helps to clear the lungs and get the juices flowing in the right direction.

SallyO'Sews
July 6th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Oh, my, Amy, that sounds so scary! I'll be praying for you to heal quickly.
Blessings, ~ Sally \0/

HandsOffItsMine
July 6th, 2013, 06:20 PM
(((Amy))), glad to hear that you're on the mends. I've also had that and yes, it's painful and scary. Had that about three years ago and have had about four more times, milder cases TG - I can tell the signs now.

Sure gets you excellent service at the ER, they don't mess around.

alliek
July 6th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Inflamation of the pleural cavity around the lung. Can be quite painful. Rest, Aleve, and more rest. My grandmother used to get this frequently. It is a few steps from pneumonia so be careful! Feel better soon.

ilive2craft2
July 6th, 2013, 09:13 PM
So glad that the Aleve and rest is helping already. I have had this too and it is not fun at all!! Usually comes on after not taking care of my annual bout of bronchitis properly...

MartinaG
July 6th, 2013, 09:24 PM
I remember getting it once and it was sooo painful. Hope you feel better soon.

Lisapc
July 7th, 2013, 03:59 AM
I just got over Pluerisy. It is horrible. Luckily my body wanted to sleep through it but when I was awake I wanted to whine. I have had it a few times over the past few years but that happens with Lupus so it is no surprise to me. What is a surprise is that sometimes the pain is in the back, between the shoulder blades or is chest pain only. Weird infection, for me anyway.

I hope you feel better soon.

Mazzer
July 7th, 2013, 08:36 AM
You have my sympathy. I had 3 years on the trot with this complaint. Very painful even to breathe. Hope you feel better soon.
Mazzer

nyscpa2be
July 7th, 2013, 01:39 PM
My body wants sleep? Yep, thats whats happening now. LOL. I took my pain meds last night, along with my sleeping pill. And I woke up at 12:15. My pastor is going to think that I have forgotten about church - but seriously, I haven't! I swear - I slept in by mistake!

Over40momma
July 7th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Awww Amy, so sorry to hear you suffering through this. Rest as much as possible as that helps the body fight off the infection. Will keep you in my prayers sweetie. My mom used to get it and the doctor explained it "as like pneumonia but on the outside of the lungs instead of on the inside".

FYI, women do not present heart attack symptoms like men do.......we are more likely to feel flu-like symptoms rather than the chest crushing pain.

Leokadia
July 10th, 2013, 03:19 PM
May God bless you. my grand mom live in aged care home. where she can avail many facilities 24/7. She say she is feeling better in age care home because she nursing facility available to hare all the time and luxury living slandered available to her.