PDA

View Full Version : Friday Greetings

Blondie
July 5th, 2013, 06:54 AM
(Sometimes when I post a quote or funny I don't always really get it until I re read it. I don't think I would have understood the above until I am the age I am now. )

Hello folksies!

It is Friday! It's a holiday weekend for most of you! Huzzah! I have to work. Today and tomorrow. Still uncertain of the changes where I am at. It is not a good feeling to have a lease folder shoved under the door and no one to speak with. I ain't signing nuttin honey until I get to a face to face. I've already heard all the rumors in town, and you know how rumors go. Generally about 50/50 and you can pick which percentage you want to hear and believe. I reserve the right to hold my peace until I have had a chat.

It has rained each and every day this week. This is not a complaint. It is not even a commentary. It is just a fact, Jack. It did clear off long enough for the fireworks last night. Since the kiddos are grown and gone I am not wild about driving around to see the show. When they were young I would plan out mega stuff. Single moms do that kind of thing I think. Now they are all 3 firework freakazoids, loving light shows. Actually, they are all 3 holiday freaks in general. I am a success! Speaking of holidays, I am short on the fruits and veggies right now, so get ready to hurl stuff at me after the next word. Christmas. Wait! I need more fruit. Here goes. Christmas is officially less than 6 months away. Okay, now I can go make fruit salad.

Have a wonderful weekend folksies. Party on and find something to laugh at. At least smile!

Hugs, prayers and big smiles to each of you.

rebeccas-sewing
July 5th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Good morning, Ms. Blondie! I haven't been on that much lately due to company. Reading your morning message has me a bit unsure. I'd like a little fill-in on the folder slipped under the door. What's been going on? I'm glad to hear you've instilled a great sense of celebration in your children. I, too, understand about your lack of get-up-and-go when it comes to joining the masses. As I grow older I have less and less desire to be among the crowds. It is, however, one of the things one must do to really feel a sense of excitement over certain celebrations. When I was a child we would drive the 45 minutes or so to visit my grandparents on the Fourth. It was always enjoyable sitting on the floor in their living room listening to the adults talk. We'd go down the street to the Fourth of July celebration in their park where we'd enjoy various activities. I can't really remember what those activities included but I'm sure my big sis could fill me in. It was a very happy time for her as well. I know one thing for sure, the food was always something I looked forward to and the fireworks of course. I mentioned in another post that I could see fireworks outside the window in our living room last night. I would like to have climbed up to the roof to see them but alas I couldn't seem to get my fanny in gear. I'm assuming it was a bunch of Americans in charge of the light show. Even the waiter at the restaurant last night wished us a Happy 4th.

I'm moving slowly today. Our dear friends who are currently living in Alabama came over to pay us a 5-day visit. We had six of us in this flat so it was a bit tight. Last night their oldest joined us so we were a total of seven. Talk about a pj party!!! Good thing we came to London with air mattresses and lots of extra beds. The guest room has two day beds in it plus an extra mattress under one of them. We can sleep an additional six people and possibly seven if someone's game for the sofa!

While they were out touring yesterday, I spent the day doing their laundry so they wouldn't go off to Germany with a bunch of dirty clothes. How nice am I???? Hahaha! They were good about going out on their own to tour so I was relieved I didn't have to walk miles every day. Their first day here I toured them around London. Joe and I went with them to Oxford for the day. The rest of the visit they were on their own.

Henry is currently working a month in Nigeria on a project and then home for three weeks. It's very dangerous working there so they are paying him exceedingly well. He has three very smart children and they will have their education paid for with all the extra dough. Nice but I sure wouldn't want Joe to be doing that. Too worrisome. Not worth the extra money in my opinion.

I am taking it slow today. Beginning the laundering of all the bed linens and towels and trying to get things back in order around here. I need to get back to the sewing. I'm working on a fan quilt for my younger daughter, a tote bag for sis-in-law and a few other small projects. I having a feeling my suitcase will have more gifts in it than clothes for the return trip to the U.S.

Happy day to you!

Monique
July 5th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Good morning Blondie and Rebecca. I feel the same way about our Canada Day as you do about your Independence Day.

It is going to be another hot and muggy day. At lunchtime yesterday I managed to go pick more strawberries. This heat is not good for them and they may be done before long. MMMMMM so good.

I will be glad when this week is over. Only two more to go after this. I will need a break by then. We are planning a trip up to the camp at the end of the month.

Have a great day all. Stay safe.

nyscpa2be
July 5th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Good morning all,

I can't believe I'm up this early. I took 6mg of melatonin to sleep last night, and I didn't sleep worth crap all night long. Time to find a new med, methinks. Unfortunately, I can't sleep without something to get me to sleep.

Since I'm up this early, I have some chores (ick) to do, like hauling the dogs cage outside for cleaning, and vacuuming up the small dog worth of hair thats all over the floor - we have a black lab, and he is shedding like crazy in this heat!

After that, though, since I don't have any homework (YEAH!!!) I just need to pay a few bills, and will probably spend the day with my sewing machine. No problem there :)

Iris Girl
July 5th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Good Morning all. Another HHH day here. Yesterday it was 95 with 84% humidity , the same for today. that weather makes me want to do NOTHING!. work was slow yesterday, hope today is busier hate slow days makes my day go sllloooowww. I did draw up a pattern yesterday for a small totebag to bring my essentials to work in. It will have a divider for my drink bottle a pocket and a loop to hook my keys on. other then that small. Making it with the wonderful fat quarter pack Karen sent me. got the handles done and the outside cut out before work today just need to quilt it and do the lining. well wishes and hugs to those that need them . have a great day.

Mpyles
July 5th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Good morning everyone!

Up an at em for another fantastic day in the restaurant industry!! Lol, at least I am trying to be excited about it. Gonna head off to my home location for a bit this morning, then venture up to my red headed stepchild location for the Friday noon hour. Then back to mine so I can speak with my night manager whom I haven't talked to since being back from vacation. Then it's BOM at my LQS then home for some sewing. Somewhere in there I would like to go by a LQS in another town who is having a 7.79 a yard sale.....that might have to wait until Saturday....

Not a lot going on here...everyone that is off work for the long holiday weekend have fun and be safe!!

pcbatiks
July 5th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Good morning everyone! Hope you all had a safe 4th of July. Ours was quiet........slept late since DH didn't have to work. Then DH played golf with a coworker after lunch. Last night we went out and ate at the restaurant our son works at...........and I sat down and sewed while DH was golfing. A quiet relaxing day with no cooking involved! Now I need to go mow the yard before it gets too hot. Have a good day everybody!

MayinJerset
July 5th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Good Morning, We didn't do the fireworks thing this year but maybe will see tonight's display by my town. There are weekly fireworks all summer long at different Jersey Shore towns so we can catch up whenever we like.

Went though some UFO's yesterday and have 2 dolly sized tops ready to quilt. My Guild donates about 50 of them to a local Senior group who pairs them with a dolly or teddy as Christmas gifts for the Head Start kids in their town. It is a good way for me to use up leftover blocks and fabrics. Also found a black and white top that I made awhile ago. Just the thing to take with me LQS that has a new chapter of the Modern Quilt Guild meeting there tomorrow afternoon. I'm interested in making some modern quilts but don't know if I want to join the guild with its monthly meetings and projects.

Have a Cousins Luncheon this afternoon, so I'll be catching up with my cousins Alice, Ann and Toni while enjoying a great meal. This month it will be just the 4 of us but a times we invite guests. My turn next month and I'm thinking of inviting my sisters to join us and maybe a friend or two as I haven't had a girls luncheon in awhile. DH plans to install the new cellular cordless blinds for me while I'm gone. Think I better check them out again as I think their color maybe a bit darker than I care for. There weren't any blinds on display at Loews so I ordered them online where it said they were linen color, I expected a tan blind but these are a bit darker than that. Really want to take down the short curtains I've tacked over the 2 windows but if the color is wrong the blinds go back.

Haven't see Donna (Crazy Mountain Lady) around lately. Anyone hear from her recently?

Smile everyone and enjoy the rest of the long weekend. May

Bubby
July 5th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

I've rejoined the masses after a long week of dental misery. The pain has improved about 50% so I will be calling the dentist next week when he gets back from vacation.

We had a nice but quiet 4th. The dogs are terrified of the big fireworks booms, so we stayed home and watched them on TV. DD and I are going to head out for a beauty day at the spa in Rolla. I got a facial yesterday (DD is an aesthetician) but today is her day to get one. DH will be babysitting the 'girls'.

I will try to check in later....Hugs, Barb

MRoy
July 5th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Good Morning ! I took the day off work to spend time with DS and the grandkids. I'll only be working 15 more days so they may as well get used to filling in until my replacement is appointed...hee,hee! Can you tell I'm looking forward to Aug 1? I think it's going to rain again today...it was an all-day thing yesterday. Happy Friday everyone!

CrazyMtnLady
July 5th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Good Morning everyone...Yes...it is ME.... I have just been so darn busy by the time I take a break I am too poop to do anything but lay down. It took me 2 days but I got the swimming pool cleaned out. It is an above ground pool but we don't take it down in the winter just drain it down a bunch. So before Daniel took off for Michigan he opened the drain so it would drain as far down as it would go. But there was still a lot of water in the middle because he had made a large sloped hole so that the middle of the pool would be deeper than the edges. So after what seemed like 300 buckets of water I had to toss out and all the leaves. I got it scrubbed and filled and the filter is hooked up and running. Boy am I good. But my back is not happy. I still haven't refilled the hot tub after draining and scrubbing it though. I have been cleaning up a lot around the place too. I am sure Daniel will be pleased.

I even took some time out of cleaning and even did some sewing for my SSS. :)

Today I HAVE to get what little lawn I have mowed. Everywhere I look it is starting to look like a jungle.

Hope everyone had a wonderful 4th. And have a great weekend.

Hugs and prayers to all.

Over40momma
July 5th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Top of the morning to you all.

Ahhh, another fine hot and humid day here, but we do have some fine rain falling. Hopefully that will cool off some of that humidity. Heat is fine, but humidity just turns everyone into wilted lettuce leaves. :(

Like Blondie, my thoughts have turned to the fast approaching Christmas holidays. (Why is it when you get older, the calendar sprouts wings?) I ordered some fabrics last night, thinking to make a friendship quilt as a Christmas present for a good friend. She loves blues, so I opted for Indigo Crossing jelly roll along with a neutral one. Ordered the binding tools too from M* so I can use the mini one as a template shown in one of Jenny's tutorials. Now I am thinking about all the neat things I could make for my nieces, nephews, cousins, or anyone else with a pulse.

Didn't get much done in the organization department yesterday....just got too dang lazy. Fell asleep on the couch after lunch and my kids were to willing to leave the sleep dragon be. :lol: So yesterday's chores have become today's.

Prayers and good thoughts being sent to all who need them. Most of all, be thankful for this day, for it is a gift we should appreciate with all the passion in our soul. :icon_hug:

cyndiofthevortex
July 5th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Good day to you all! I just returned from a trip in an air conditioned car to an air conditioned Ben Franklin's and then home again in said car. And I still feel wilted from the heat! It is supposed to be in the mid nineties today. I found everything I needed a BF's and at 40% off I am happy. Now I have enough fabric to finish my two latest quilts. I'm hoping I have the batting for them but a trip to Joann's might be in my future. Tonight I'll be enjoying the fireworks from the shore of York Beach, Maine along with lots of family. Perhaps there are some more fried clams in my future? Where better to get them than along the coast?

jet4361
July 5th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Good morning all. I slept in this morning after getting home around 11:30 last night from our friends 4th of July celebration. When I checked my tablet this morning one of the first things I saw was the email from MSQ saying that I had won the weekly giveaway. I could not believe it! I am one of those folks who could count on one hand how many times I have won something like this. It was a great way to wake up. I dont have big plans for the day, grocery shopping and a few other errands. As a newbie I know that there will be many firsts and lessons learned, but this weeks was READ THE FINE PRINT ON PELLON! For more info see general forum. Lol Have a great weekend!

Lindagie
July 5th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Had a great 4th of July get together here with the kids/grandkids; except for DD and her husband, who volunteered at Fair St. Louis yesterday. We will go to their party tomorrow though with everyone else! I'm so glad my kids are great cooks/grillmasters. We had the best porksteaks and fixings; yum! Had an ice cream cake to celebrate and early bd for DGS and a late bd for DS. We has leftovers and pies; just what we need; then more food tomorrow> Diet will have to go full throttle Monday!
Hope you all had a great celebration and are all doing well!

Sandy Navas
July 5th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Just for Blondie:

http://www.plognark.com/Art/Sketches/Blogsketches/2010/double_daily_sketches/d18s1_600.jpg (http://www.plognark.com/node/10833)

KathieB
July 5th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Hello everyone! It's too hot to be in the garden today-95 in the shade and that nice breeze helps only a wee bit. It was a quiet 4th with all the kids doing their own thing. I really miss those family get-togethers. I checked all the plants to make sure they had enough water; took Ruby, our Golden, down to the brook to cool off; fed MIL lunch and now I think I'll sit by the air conditioner and sew something, even if it's just mending. Enjoy the rest of your day!

bakermom
July 5th, 2013, 03:36 PM
I had a simple day of sewing planned. I had found some nice lightweight plaid fabric that I thought would make cute overalls for GSs. found a nice pattern(bought2 so i wouldn't have to trace anything off, 5for5@ joanns). Yeah right. Plaids don't scare me, in fact i like them but this was not a co-operative fabric. fortunately i was able to pull it so the plaid was straight but it did put a damper on my enthusiasm. Both are now cut out and marked but i need a break from the aggravation. On a more positive note, the dresses I made for GD are a perfect fit.

GinnyKNC
July 5th, 2013, 10:56 PM
I have so missed these morning greetings! These 80 hour work weeks are killing me :( I miss all of you and the smiles you give me. I hope everyone is well and for those that need them {{{HUGS}}} and Prayers.

Blondie I've had enough rain already. We have streets shut down due to the ground under them washing away. My tomatoes are loving it, but I need a break. Where is my NC sunshine! I want it back. And I'm going to slap the first weather person who says we are in a drought this year! UGH

Well I know it's almost time for the Saturday morning greeting lol, but I just had to say hello to everyone and let you know how much each of you are missed. Have a wonderful weekend and God Bless.