PDA

View Full Version : Dirndl and Jewelry

Meli
July 5th, 2013, 01:44 AM
When I was 10, way back in 1974, my family went to Germany for three weeks. It was fantastic! Towards the end of our trip, my mom bought me a dirndl, a traditional German dress. I loved it! Didn't have much chance to wear it before I outgrew it. But it's been one of my prized possessions all these years nonetheless. I was fairly small, despite my height. I remember I wore a 6X for 3 or 4 years. This was me:

My brother and his adorable 5 1/2 year old daughter, Juniper, are visiting for the holiday. I gave her my dirndl. She entertained us with a fashion show. She modeled the whole thing, then without the apron. Then without the apron and the blouse. Then the whole thing again but without shoes. She played croquet in it, wrestled with her dad, and broke it in with a grass stain on the apron. She hasn't noticed the grass stain yet, but really likes the dress, and plans to wear it to school when she starts kindergarten in a few weeks. I'm having trouble getting the pic of Juni to load. Hopefully this link to the pic on facebook will work. (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151677267148886&set=pb.563013885.-2207520000.1372999141.&type=3&theater)

And while you're on facebook, check out the jewelry album (https://www.facebook.com/dragonfoote/media_set?set=a.10151675047898886.1073741829.56301 3885&type=3). I inadvertantly left my cellphone at work Wednesday and was going through withdrawals. I compensated by beading. The plan to make one necklace turned into three necklaces, two bracelets, and an anklet.

shannonsaulter
July 5th, 2013, 02:02 AM
thats awesome will check the fb pic when I get home..cant fb at work...

Renate
July 5th, 2013, 02:33 AM
Hi Meli,

grown up in Bavaria, you can imagine, I had to wear a Dirndl each day. It was our regular Dress to go to School with. And what should I say: I hated it. I would have prefered to wear a Lederhose like my brother. Until today, I own a Bavarian Lederhose, but no Dirndl ....

Evilynn
July 5th, 2013, 02:42 AM
I hated to wear my Dirndl, too! We didn't have to wear it to our school, thankfully, but I still had to wear it often enough to not really like it. Did you know they are awefully expensive? A Dirndl can cost several hundred Euro! Never understood that. I still don't like them. My mothers boyfriend joked about me having to wear a Dirndl to my wedding (which is completely normal in Bavaria...) but for me it would be a nightmare! ;D