PDA

View Full Version : Missing family this 4 th of July

Mpyles
July 4th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Growing up this was such a huge holiday in our family. We always celebrated as it was my brothers birthday too. It seems as the years pass, we do less and less until this year there is no organized family get together...makes me incredibly sad, now that this day is here.. I guess I should have organized something....thought for next year. Why is it that families grow apart? After my father died my mother tried very hard to keep everyone getting together. Then after my sister died it seems that has fallen off as well. I dunno I guess I am just in a sad funk...today it is dd, DH and I. Even DS has gone off with gf. I have never been a fireworks fan, but always attended or hosted the picnic/BBQ anyway just to see family.

Okay...enough if my whine.

PeggyM
July 4th, 2013, 09:25 PM
So sorry for your sadness. I feel somewhat the same...we drift apart. I miss the watemelon and iced tea.

Sharyn J
July 4th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Cheer up Mary. I know how you feel. Things change when family members pass away and the kids grow up and have their own activities and children. I'm not a big fireworks person but I will take a wine cooler in the back yard and join a few neighbors to watch the fireworks that the city does from the park district about a block away. It will be a little company for awhile. We've had a beautiful day here in Illinois. The Park District has a lot of activities all day and it's fun to watch all the kids running down the street with their parents to get to the park and join the activities. It makes me smile.

Ok, enough. Time for Grandma's after dinner toddy. Happy 4th.

shannonsaulter
July 4th, 2013, 09:39 PM
I would much rather be at home then at work so feel ya!

Sew Perfect
July 4th, 2013, 10:05 PM
I know how you feel as well. This year is just so different. DH worked all night, slept today, and will work tonight. DD has moved out and is working today, and DS also worked today. He came home and asked why we aren't doing anything. I said, I feel like it's just another day since It's been just me all day. Maybe I will plan something next year as well.

shermur
July 4th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Was so hoping to here from my Navy daughter today with a phone call...nothing yet. Kind of bummed myself!

Lonna
July 4th, 2013, 10:57 PM
I know how you all feel. For us it seems as if all the holidays anymore are just another day. I gave up trying to do anything anymore as everyone is to busy to just sit and visit anymore. Everyone is in a big hurry to go go go. I do know that this past year we didn't even do anything for Christmas. Wayne says if he lives to Chirstmas this year he wants an old fashion Christmas so we will go all out this year even if it is just Wayne and myself. Tried to get him to go to Ponchatoula City park last night as they did there fireworks then but he just was not interested.

kensington
July 4th, 2013, 11:14 PM
I know how you feel. I have a large family and only a handful were here today. It was a big holiday for me to growing up and raising my kids. We are actually having another swim tomorrow for those who missed today. Hang in there. Come on up and swim with me Mary... it's not too long of a drive! You are more than welcome!

phoots
July 5th, 2013, 12:18 AM
Mary, I totally understand. Since my Mom passed away last fall, I've been trying to spend as much time with my Dad as I can. But when I started school, that all changed. This would've been a good weekend to go down, but my car wouldn't make so I have to rent a car, which come out of Dad's pocket. He paid for my sister to spend two weeks with my new grand daughter, so money is tight. I do plan to go down in the next few months.

Pam in Vegas

Mpyles
July 5th, 2013, 12:58 AM
Was so hoping to here from my Navy daughter today with a phone call...nothing yet. Kind of bummed myself!

Aww, this is way more important than my pity party! I hope if she can't call today you hear from her soon!

Mpyles
July 5th, 2013, 01:00 AM
I know how you feel. I have a large family and only a handful were here today. It was a big holiday for me to growing up and raising my kids. We are actually having another swim tomorrow for those who missed today. Hang in there. Come on up and swim with me Mary... it's not too long of a drive! You are more than welcome!

Aww thanks! I wish I could, I love to swim! Sun doesn't like me, but I love the water!

SallyO'Sews
July 5th, 2013, 01:12 AM
Oh, Mary, I'm so sorry... I hope you will get a good night's sleep and that things look brighter tomorrow. It seems we have to be pro-active about scheduling time with our families, especially once we all live in different homes. My DS#1 and his family try to make a trip to see us in the summer "just because"; otherwise we would only see them when there is some sort of "event" (wedding, funeral, graduation, Christmas, you name it), and there is so much going on we hardly get the chance to speak to each other! So hang in there, and if your family isn't around, hang out here!! Hugs (((Mary))) and blessings, ~ Sally \0/

dwil23
July 5th, 2013, 02:58 AM
I understand. When I was growing up we always got together with my cousins at Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. That doesn't happen anymore and it makes me sad. I was thinking earlier today that when my kids were growing up, we always went to our best friend's house for a picnic on the fourth. The local parade went down their street so we had from row seats to it and the boys were always in it with their Little League team. Bob and Donna both died in 2000 - she from cancer and he from a stroke later that year leaving their four teenage children. Yesterday, they became grandparents for the first time when their youngest daughter gave birth to her son. Bittersweet memories.

rebeccas-sewing
July 5th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Yep! Times have definitely changed. I noticed my sister always talks about the past and really misses simpler times. I always agree with her. We're a prime example of not being connected. Talk about no celebration! I'm in London on the 4th! I was actually surprised to see some fireworks outside our window last night. Wondering who was shooting them off. The young waiter at the restaurant last night actually wished our table a Happy 4th of July!

We are such a transient society today. We are not socially connected as in the past. I blame that on texting and our world of computers. In times past we had to connect with others regularly. Nowadays, you can do almost anything without having to speak to a single person. There are definitely pros and cons to the world as we know it today. Perfect example - we're here in London and our girls are in California. We see them so rarely now because we have relocated. My husband doesn't seem to care that we're so far from them which I find so odd. I wasn't sure I wanted children. He really wanted them so that helped me decide. How ironic that I miss them more than he seems to. Don't get me wrong. Living in London is an experience most will never have and I feel very lucky. There's definitely a trade-off though. I just wonder when we will move back to the states. This is wonderful but I don't want to be here forever. I'll cry to leave London but I'll get over it quickly. I'm really looking forward to my trip home, time with my girls, friends and family. I'll be home end of this month and won't return to Europe until after the new year. It will be strange returning to a totally new place. I imagine we'll get lots of company in The Netherlands. I hope so.

MayinJerset
July 5th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Quiet 4th here but we never celebrated it really big, sometimes we had a BBQ. For years DH used to work the swing shift so he worked many holidays and weekends also so it was difficult to plan activities. Since our sons married I usually had Holidays, Father's Day, 4th July and/or Labor Day BBQ's but now that I'm older I can't do all that work. Tried to arrange with DILs taking turns for get togethers but one must have all holidays with her family so that plan died. Other DIL does stuff with us but usually we meet for lunch or dinner. Now that granddaughters are getting married or living on their own it is even more difficult. DGD Catherine is so special she does Christmas and Mother's Day for he parents and DH and I.