PDA

View Full Version : Present for a 90-year old????

MartinaG
July 3rd, 2013, 04:19 PM
Hi all,

we are invited to the birthday party for a 90-year old lady. She is the mother of a dear friend. Now the invite says that presents are not necessary but you know that I have to ignore that statement. Do you have any ideas what to get as a present? She likes to read but gets her books at the library or exchanges with friends. I am at my wits end - at that age she probably has everything she needs. She isn't into chachkies (sp?) and I already made her a quilt. I am counting on you to give me some ideas.

slamb13
July 3rd, 2013, 04:21 PM
Does she use a walker? I saw a pattern online somewhere for a little pocket style of bag that buttons over the front bar of a walker to keep little things in to have with you on the go, like tissues or mints or whatever.

Susan

nyscpa2be
July 3rd, 2013, 04:24 PM
Does she have kids and grandkids? How about a gift certificate to a photo studio - one thing we never got done before my grandparents passed was an all-family photo, and now we wish we had.

ilive2craft2
July 3rd, 2013, 04:38 PM
If she uses a walker - a tote bag that will work on the front of her walker would be a hit. I did them for my MIL and mom. I made them convertible - one side of each strap had some button holes on it and then there are buttons on the tote. That way, they could take it on and off of the walker easily and adjust it where it hung or could button it as straps for the tote to carry it. :)

Hulamoon
July 3rd, 2013, 04:58 PM
Both my grandmothers lived until late 80's, early 90's. For that age group they used to wear a lot of brooches. I would buy something that will make her feel pretty and not old. You want to make her smile :)

K. McEuen
July 3rd, 2013, 05:31 PM
I go play canasta with my friend and her mom. Both are old enough to be my mother, but Gertrude is 90 and she was thrilled to get flowers for her birthday. Like you said there wasn't much she needed, but she sure did enjoy the flowers.

kelliedi
July 3rd, 2013, 05:35 PM
a gift cert. to her favorite eatery..... or where she gets her hair"done"....

Hulamoon
July 3rd, 2013, 05:39 PM
I go play canasta with my friend and her mom. Both are old enough to be my mother, but Gertrude is 90 and she was thrilled to get flowers for her birthday. Like you said there wasn't much she needed, but she sure did enjoy the flowers.

I love getting flowers! But I had a bad experience with them. I was taking care of my aunt in her home and when her friends found out she was under Hospice they all sent her flowers and stuffed animals. She told me to get rid of it all. It made her feel like she was in a funeral home. She was a cranky lady though because of the chemo.

MartinaG
July 3rd, 2013, 08:57 PM
Great ideas.

This gal is as spry as the day is long. She went with us to the County Fair the other day and stayed until almost midnight. No walker - just her cane.

slamb13
July 3rd, 2013, 09:23 PM
I hope when I am 90, people will describe me as spry! That's great!

Hulamoon
July 3rd, 2013, 09:31 PM
Great ideas.

This gal is as spry as the day is long. She went with us to the County Fair the other day and stayed until almost midnight. No walker - just her cane.

You might of just gave yourself an answer. Not to expensive and fun!

Ladies Canes - Women's Canes - Walking Canes for Women | FashionableCanes.com (http://www.fashionablecanes.com/Ladies_Womens_Walking_Canes.html)

bakermom
July 3rd, 2013, 09:49 PM
since she is able to get out and about I would go with a gift card to her favorite restaurant. maybe include an IOU for a day out with you and your friend.

SallyO'Sews
July 3rd, 2013, 09:51 PM
I agree with Bakermom; since she's able to get out and about, give her a gift card and offer to drive.

lilmouse
July 3rd, 2013, 09:58 PM
I would make her some bookmarks since she is a reader...just a suggestion though!

rebeccas-sewing
July 4th, 2013, 06:15 AM
How about making a couple of pretty pillowcases for her bed to go with the quilt you made her? Some wonderful suggestions being posted. Let us know what you end up doing.

dwil23
July 4th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Lots of good ideas - I especially like the family portrait, gift certificates to dinner and the pillowcases. Guess it all depends on your budget.

Or - check with the hosts on this one - maybe a scrapbook for everyone to sign and add pictures of the event to later?

Iris Girl
July 4th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Pillowcases are nice and gift card to her favorite place to shop or eat.

Monique
July 4th, 2013, 07:46 AM
An IOU to spend time with her. Priceless.