PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday is always a good day to smile

Blondie
July 2nd, 2013, 08:12 AM

Happy Tuesday folksies! It is always a good day to smile. I don't know why but it's true. Of course, I likes to smile on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday's as well. Yesterday was no exception. I have decided to make the most of the time I have with the big man this week. I had him drive with Mom and I to the city for the dr. When I know whatever is really going on with Mom, I will let you know. At this point, it is back to square one, she is always a medical mystery. It is a good thing we are peeps of faith. And a good sense of humor. I actually have heard first hand one doctor tell my Mom he would not accept any more money from her. That is because she is not only a medical mystery, she is a medical marvel. I tell you, takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. I have the dyed grey hair to show it.

After the dr visit, we had just a few minutes to visit with number 2 son. He lives in "da hood". It is one of those transitional neighborhoods where they are one street over from being really bad. His street is nice, neighbors are all various ages, yards kept tidy. While we were there we kept hearing sirens. And a few shouts of obscenities. It was the street behind him. This did nothing to lighten my heart. He has joked about it but it is the first time I have witnessed it. On the drive back home I suddenly remembered my first apt was in a dicey area I could afford and when my folks came to visit I directed them in the "long" way. My Daddy's response? Everyone lives in a dump once in their life.

On the way home from da hood, I got some bobbins for my new White. Jean, it is not the aqua one. I wish. This is a white White. I cleaned and oiled it up last evening and sewed some HST's together. I think it will do just fine as a back up machine. I don't even need my entire foot on the pedal; just my big fat toe. That machine has some power.
It does a nice straight stitch. Not tried anything else and probably won't. It was most certainly worth the ten bucks.
Hubs has found some money he stashed for a rainy day fund and we will most likely get the old singer today. I really don't need it. But I really want it. I am grooving on the cabinet. Like I said, it looks like all it needs is a cleaning and a belt. I am not sure where I will put it either. Stop laughing at me Sandy and Sue. I am an ardent admirer of these machines. Thankfully so is Luscious. I never said one other word to him since we left the other day. He actually called this lady and told her to please hold it, we would come back on Tuesday. Me? I was biding my time, thinking of how I could scrap together 30 bucks and then talk him into going back together. I knew she would hold onto it for a while, I was optimistic in my future ownership - but boy howdy! What a fella I have. I know most all of you do as well. They really need to form their own club. They could call it QHA (quilt hubbies anonymous) or something catchy.

Okies, folksies. I am off to try a find a place to put the new singer when we get her today. Oy. That means I may have to clean. hmmm, perhaps there is some madness in my husband's thinking . . . .

SMILE, Y'all!

ps - didn't know this was a novella of a post

Monique
July 2nd, 2013, 08:13 AM
Good morning Blondie, I was waiting for you.

What a Canada Day it was. Breakfast with the boys, parade with family, spectacular fireworks.

Well I certainly did have a busy weekend with all the kids here. It was great to see Jersey too. Greg and Jersey went home yesterday morning after breakfast. Phil and crew will leave today. I will come home at lunch time to say goodbye to them. Then things will get back to normal around here. Yes, another work week for me. My quilt is ALMOST done, so that is what I will be working on again this week.

My niece's dogs have NOT been found yet.

Have a wonderful week friends. I need to get ready for work.

dizzyLiz
July 2nd, 2013, 09:14 AM
The first week of the month is murder in a pharmacy......sigh. Our technician hours are always cut in the summer, so I am the only tec. Makes for a very busy job. Shugg is still with us, but have no idea how long as she is slowing down. i need to learn from her, she is so stoic. My grand daughter is here for the summer, I so cherish this time with her. We have done lots of swimming, picnics, snuggles and giggles. Hard to love her up a years worth in 2 months.

Love to all,
Liz

pcbatiks
July 2nd, 2013, 09:18 AM
Blondie, I love the cartoon this morning! Have fun with your new toys. So Monique, was your buddy Jersey happy to see you?! :D

I hope to get back on track with my sewing today.........now that I have my fabric and sewing stuff organized!

The temps have been nice and cool the last 2 mornings.......wish it could be like this everyday! Wishing everyone a good day today!

Jean Sewing Machine
July 2nd, 2013, 09:31 AM
Hi everyone! Liz, my daughter is a pharmacy tech also. Worked for 15 years in a large chain retail pharmacy, and for the last 15 months in a hospital pharmacy. She needed a break from the retail gig, it was driving her nuts, and they cut tech hours so the ones who were working couldn't even go potty when they needed to. She likes this better.

Got my guest room fixed up for the daughter and hubs and dog/dogs. Whew, we're all in for a ride in this one! Hope to get costumes made today.

And I'll be smiling all day long, Blondie!

RFREE
July 2nd, 2013, 10:02 AM
Good morning everybody. After a not so good rest last night I am planning on fixing the hubs lunch getting him off to work and going over again and getting my neighbor for a few hours. She enjoyed herself so much Sunday she asked to do it again today so that is what I will be doing this afternoon. Went fishing last night. Didn't have much luck.Just tiny ones. I guess the impending storms scared them off. It was good to spend time with my little brother though.
Enjoy your day.
Rhonda

MayinJerset
July 2nd, 2013, 10:17 AM
Good Morning Ladies. Another funny day that seems to be going back and forth from sunshine and rain, just like the past few days. One good thing is that we haven't had to water our lawn and garden is quite some time.. Seems pharmacists are being talked about a lot the past few days. DS#1 is a pharmacists and he is busy all month long. He doesn't work for a chain but the shop carries lots of gifts and groceries with free delivery and they do a big business. Could be because the shop are right in the middle of several adult living centers. People will order their meds and add milk, bread and ice cream to their orders. Young nephew whose grad party we attended on Sunday will be attending pharmacy school in the fall, think his girlfriend will be also.

One more top border and DGD's quilt will be done. It is so big that handling it is becoming a chore so I am glad I'll be sending this one to a long arm quilter. Side borders went on fine but the top one needs adjusting as the corners don't meet squarely. Think that is what the LA quilter calls 'lettuce'. When it is done I'll pack it for mailing along with several other little quilty gifts for some friends.

Small quilt/book group meeting this evening, have to go over my notes of this month's book as I read it a month ago. Called a group member who lives near me as we sometimes share the ride to these meetings. Group keeps in touch by emails regarding reminders about meetings, etc. but this gal doesn't use a computer any longer and it seems to my job to keep her informed. I don't mind it but she is very forgetful and I think between meetings she doesn't remember who I am. I left her a message after the last meeting about date, time and book for this month's meeting. Called her again yesterday and she 'forgot' about it, hasn't read the book and wasn't sure if she will go. Told her to call me today if she plans to go. A few years ago we were in a different small group together and it was the same thing. It's really her turn to drive but she is so forgetful I'm leary of driving with her, especially to tonight's meeting as it is in an out of the way location with lots of turns. No more complaining I better get hopping and get some work done today.

aliaslaceygreen
July 2nd, 2013, 10:19 AM
Good morning! Quiet house, Laylabug has gone home...Have to put the place back together before work... Looks overcast...
Have Wednesday and Thursday off... DD wants to go outlet shopping tomorrow, so we will be heading to Williamsburg...and then a BBQ on Thurs....Gonna carry yo-yos with me to make for the quilt I am working on, I suppose!

Take care all!

Sandy Navas
July 2nd, 2013, 10:19 AM
Oh, the things that happen that are shared here. Just wait. I am laughing about Blondie's dicey neighborhood - at one time in a previous life, I lived in a 12 foot square little house. There was a huge kitchen sink, a potty tucked in a corner, a small stove and room for a bed. That's it . . . I've come a long way, Baby.

So, I got up this morning . . . SMILING . . . wonder how long that will last. Al caught a little varmit in his have-a-heart last night. Guess he's gonna be making a trek to the riverside later. My BIL says the raccoon can beat Al home any time and will avoid the trap tonight.

Do you ever have a commitment that you absolutely D R E A D?? I've mentioned DD's start-up of a food co-op. She asked me to be her back up and it has turned into more than this old lady wants to deal with. There have been trips to Iowa for training, telephone conference calls, specific tasks during the food pick-up days (like keeping track of what comes off the delivery truck), and then helping carry flats of veggies into the distribution center. Wears me out just thinking of it. Anyway, today is supposedly my last training call and I am dreading it big time. I have missed this call twice in the past (wishful thinking?) and need to get this out of the way. DDs delivery of her babe is due any time in the next several days and we have food delivery this Saturday (guess who will probably be 'in charge'?). I sure hope the holiday and hot weather kept many people from contributing for their allotments this week . . .BOO ME!

Just wasn't up to attending quilt guild last night. Got a call late from my Sis who wondered if I was up and kicking. I've truly had the blahs lately and need a mood elevator. DD says my mood will be better starting Friday as Al leaves to head to CA to visit his family and to pick up his Google Glass . . . don't ask. It is amazing the things you can learn about a spouse after retirement . . . just sayin'.

Okay, now that I've rambled on with all this nonsense, what you say I leave here with pleasant thoughts for all my on-line buds, prayers for those in need (even though I don't mention you by name here, know that I have you on my list). Oh, and Blondie offers very good advice - SMILE.

Madeforyouinma11
July 2nd, 2013, 10:22 AM
Good morning! I'm going to try and keep smiling today, but I am going for a CT scan in a little bit. I will go for the cystoscope on the 19th and that's when I will find out if all is well or not. After that, probably just some cleaning, or maybe some painting, we'll see. Hoping everyone has a wonderful day? Blondie, enjoy your new machine. Prayers and hugs to all who need/want them.

cyndiofthevortex
July 2nd, 2013, 10:44 AM
You know how much I love those little DGSs that live next door, right? Oh, yes I do. But after a night of tossing and turning, when I've finally gotten to sleep, they come in bright and early to ask if they can stay and play Legos at my house if they promise to be very nice and quiet. What's a grammie to do? Today I have more blue and white HSTs in my future. I had a great day making them yesterday and want to make enough for a king-sized quilt. We'll see about that, but they are fun to make. I have a friend coming over to sit on my porch with me and talk today. That's all the planning I have gotten to so far. Porch rocking with wonderful company and sewing with lovely blue and white fabrics. Not too shabby a plan for a hot, muggy day if I do say so myself! And I will smile, though I am dearly in need of a good night's sleep.

LynneLeavell
July 2nd, 2013, 11:04 AM
I'm smiling this week because it is a short week at work. Only 3 days. Sometimes it's great having a boss that is the same age as your daughter and you have vacation time built up and the Holiday just happens to fall just right. Just saying. Myself and my office manager both seem to make him see things our way.

Anyway suppose to rain all week here, more so on Thursday and Friday and I think the weekend as well. So there goes my fourth. Hopefully I can at least go to the parade. If it does rain like it is suppose to then I don't feel as bad being couped up inside, I have some major sewing to do. Almost finished putting together the blocks for one of two quilt tops that I'm doing for the guy that does my quilting for me. He wanted back by the end of June (I've only had since the middle of April). He might get them by the weekend. The only good thing is, is that I don't have to cut anything. They are the block of the months from JoAnn's and actually going together pretty good.

Found out over the weekend I need to have two quilts (at least lap size) done and ready to give by the 21st of September. I'm hoping that she will approve of one of the two I already have done (except for the binding) for the guy's quilt and then all I have to do is the one for the lady and I can have it done by the end of July. I'm beginning to find that I love working with deadlines, it gets me going.

Oh well everyone have a nice fourth. Stay dry, safe and cool. Prayers going out to those who need it and to those who don't.

Renate
July 2nd, 2013, 11:08 AM
Today I was driving to a client situated next to the mountain Gotthard. The sun was shining and the scene on my way was like driving through a model railway landscape. Cows on the medows, little Swiss wood houses, along the Lake Lucerne ... really like in a fairy tale. I smiled the complete way and thought it would be so nice if you all could see through my eyes for that moments.

Sandy Navas
July 2nd, 2013, 11:27 AM
http://alltraveldiaries.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/St.-Gotthard-Pass.jpg (http://alltraveldiaries.com/page/5/)

Mpyles
July 2nd, 2013, 01:01 PM
Good morning everyone!

I am up and at them late this morning. Because the end of the month fell on Sunday and I worked, I am off today. I decided to sleep in. While I was on vacation I got up early everyday, cause I just wanted to make sure I packed as much in as I could. So today no alarm clock....that would have been great except for the phone call at 6:50 am....I ended up going back to sleep and got up at 9.

I have been trying to contact "the lofts" that my daughter will be staying in during school this year, need to turn in her deposit and secure her room. They don't seem to be answering the phone...so I sent off an email.

Last night after work DH and I went to the family center and swam. It was very nice, a bit chlorine-y, but nice. Gonna meet him there after work before dinner and do another round. It's great exercise for us!

Today....a whole lot of nothing I am thinking. Gonna wash the bed clothes, pet the dog and work on a quilt for dd.

Everyone have a great day!!

toggpine
July 2nd, 2013, 01:08 PM
Good Morning!

Whoo Hoo! The 'marine layer' showed up and it's so much cooler this morning! I know, it's summer, but my functional temperature range tops out at the low 80's. Beyond that, and my primary function becomes how to stay cool!

Hubby brought home fried chicken for supper last night as it was too hot to cook, therefore I had no dinner dishes! As it began cooling off, I started to kick a few sewing projects off "The Stack". It's the pile of things that get started and kicked to the corner when something else becomes a priority. Once Miss Em wakes up, I'll measure her waist and do the elastic for a pair of PJ pants. I finished two of those pre-gathered skirt/sundress thingies. With some great ideas from the thread Sally O started I may have the perfect answer for the straps on the shorter one and turn it into a top.
I uncovered a nearly completed D9P top for a baby size. I'll sew the last of the rows together after a cup of coffee. I also made a little progress on the hand-dye quilt. I have all of the base blocks pressed and ready for the final layout before assembly. I may have to take one of those blocks a part, as it looks like someone was sleep-sewing when they made that seam! Yikes!
We'll make a grocery run today since we didn't get there yesterday and the fridge is looking a bit empty in the produce department. I think we need a small watermelon and a bag of lemons for fresh Honey Lemonade! OK, toast & coffee here I come to get this day started!
Hugs to you all and don't forget to be the reason someone smiles today!
Cathy

Lindagie
July 2nd, 2013, 01:17 PM
Wow, yesterday was a beautiful day and this morning feels like Fall with a little drizzle to boot! I had to put on a little jacket to take the pup outside. Wonder how long it will last before the 90's show up again. I will enjoy it while I can with a nice cup of java on my new mug rug.
Kids and grandkids coming in tomorrow, so want to go shopping for an early BD gift for DGS, run some errands, and do some grocery shopping as well. I'm taking a break from sewing, but trying to get some fabrics lined up for the mystery quilt project. I'll resume things after the weekend! Anyone else doing the mystery quilt?
Oh my, I better get going! For those who have issues in their lives, whatever they may be, I will be saying a prayer and thinking of you today. And I love the cartoon today; so appropriate!

Precious1
July 2nd, 2013, 01:29 PM
Good day everyone and Happy Tuesday!! Blondie, as a child my motto was always" Smile, it makes people wonder you're up to". When I grew up I realized, a smile was the best gift you can give anyone, sometimes it's the only gift. So now my motto is " Smile, you woke up this morning" . I just want to wish everyone today a very happy day, even in you pain, there is joy. I pray a blessing over you.

auntiemern
July 2nd, 2013, 01:38 PM
Good day all. Not sure what is on the list today. I'm just gonna play it by ear. Thinking a manicure is in order though. Had the youngin's for a while last evening. My oh my, can my little Bubby man make me laugh. DH went to doc yesterday for routing physical, and the spent more time discussing me that him. So my personal doc wants to see me Wed. (he loves me. He has been my doc since he first started with his private practice) I am his favorite PITA. His words, not mine. He wasn't very happy that I haven't heard anything from anyone concerning my PET scan, and assured DH he would have the results Wed. So I guess I will know something or another Wed. Hugs and blessings to all, Prayers for those in need.
Cil, praying for a good outcome on your tests.

Madeforyouinma11
July 2nd, 2013, 03:27 PM
Thank you, and praying for good results on yours. I won't know anything until the 19th after the cystoscope, then I'll get results from everything. Going to be a long 17 days.
Good day all. Not sure what is on the list today. I'm just gonna play it by ear. Thinking a manicure is in order though. Had the youngin's for a while last evening. My oh my, can my little Bubby man make me laugh. DH went to doc yesterday for routing physical, and the spent more time discussing me that him. So my personal doc wants to see me Wed. (he loves me. He has been my doc since he first started with his private practice) I am his favorite PITA. His words, not mine. He wasn't very happy that I haven't heard anything from anyone concerning my PET scan, and assured DH he would have the results Wed. So I guess I will know something or another Wed. Hugs and blessings to all, Prayers for those in need.
Cil, praying for a good outcome on your tests.

Blondie
July 2nd, 2013, 04:38 PM
Hey folks
Cil and Marilyn, you both know you are being covered with lots of prayer here on The Hill.

I haven't been able to get the vintage singer because it has been too rainy. I don't want to mess that lovely cabinet up!

So I have been piecing together some table runners out of orphan blocks - I have so many of those because I never have enough of any fabrics to make a complete "all together co ordinated" anything. LOL. Works for me. I have an order for a few candle mats, a handbag and a set of place mats. I normally don't take orders because it leaves you wide open for the "I don't like this one" thing. The gal who ordered them is an old friend and she said just make them, I will love them. I know she will. Thank you Ruby for your encouragement.
Off to get some tomatoes cut up - tonite we are having fresh green beans, squash, fried green tomatoes, cornbread and some catfish one of my cousins caught and filleted up for us. Yum.

Nidan_07
July 2nd, 2013, 09:52 PM
Hi All,
Another sunny and cool day here in Brisbane...just beautiful weather driving over the bridge this morning to work. Still school hols here. My 8 yr old had her first sewing lesson yesterday, and came home with a lovely cushion with her initial appliqued on the front. The top stitching looks like it has been done by a chicken, but it so just so cute and adds to the character (all in the learning). She was adamant that she do it heself, whereas the others in the class had the teacher do theirs for them. She's as proud as can be, and is off for another lesson on Friday (a drawstring bag).
We are all healthy and happy here, so am counting our blessings.
Blondie, If our DH's become a group called QHA, I think my DH is also going to have to join SHA (Shoe husbands anon) & HHA (handbag husbands anon)...just sayin'.
Positive thoughts and hugs to all who need them.

toggpine
July 3rd, 2013, 02:06 AM
Hi All,
My 8 yr old had her first sewing lesson yesterday, and came home with a lovely cushion with her initial appliqued on the front. The top stitching looks like it has been done by a chicken, but it so just so cute and adds to the character (all in the learning).

I LOVE IT! I'm sure my first efforts in sewing reminded my grandmother of the same thing! It's great that your daughter wanted to do it all on her own.

Dang it Bondie! Now I'm hankering for catfish, hush puppies, green tomato relish with sides of fried green tomatoes or okra, black eyed peas, and freshly sliced garden ripe tomatoes.
I really miss those kinds of meals. We used to have them in the summers when I'd visit my grandparents in Oklahoma. Most of the produce was straight out of the garden too.