PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected Blessings

Meli
July 2nd, 2013, 03:05 AM
My nephew, Adam, is a great young man (19) who has had a questionable upbringing. He has been estranged from both his parents for a few years now. His mother has made it plain she wants nothing to do with him. His stepmother and father are open to reestablishing ties, but, due to the history, have been waiting for Adam to make the first move. This past week I have learned that most of what I was told about his life (by his mother) was a lie. He hasn't told me the truth because he thought I knew. It's been an epiphany for both of us. (Adam's dad is my ex-husband's brother, so I haven't had much to do with anyone other than Adam since 2001)

He has been living with a friend and the friend's mom, but she made it clear that today was the day he needed to find someplace new to live. He found a place that is fairly inexpensive, but is still half of his take home pay. He had almost enough for the deposit and first month's rent, and asked for my advice. I suggested he call his dad and ask for help. Surprisingly, he did. And a couple hours later, I found myself sitting at my kitchen table with Adam, his girlfriend, and his stepmom, whom I haven't seen in 12 years, talking about his options.

I was able to watch as this young man realized he has more family than he thought, as he learned that his stepmom considers him HER son, learned that his dad still loves him. He was overwhelmed and moved and is looking forward to rebuilding bridges he burned 3 years ago.

We talked for hours, and the end result is tomorrow afternoon, this young man whom I have loved from the day he was born -- and before -- is moving into my basement for at least two weeks, possibly longer, while he saves his pennies until he can find a better place to live. He has recently started referring to me as his surrogate mom, and tonight he called me Mom, which brought me to tears.

I told him that his coming to stay with us will be a blessing for me in a few weeks when I have surgery on my foot, and have to spend a week in bed or on the sofa. He'll be here during the day while Jim's at work (kid works 2 - 3 graves at a grocery store). We have a few logistics to work out, but it'll be ok.

After his stepmom had left, I told him I can't shake the feeling that while things didn't work out the way they had hoped, everything in his life has coalesced to bring him to the point where he had to reach out to his dad, and where the foundations are being laid to rebuild three important relationships.

Hulamoon
July 2nd, 2013, 03:28 AM
That is so awesome Meli. I loved that it happened so quickly (well the last little part) and that he will mend and have a family again, and you too for helping and gaining that back for everyone :)

mom4him
July 2nd, 2013, 08:20 AM
This is so beautiful! We use that word a lot when we look at quilts but when we see the remnants of a young mans life being 'pieced' together we see the real example of beautiful. The awesome things is you are going to have the blessing of helping hand quilt this young mans life in place to make it a strong, long lasting, warm road. Just like in making a quilt, there are sometimes things that need to be taken apart and redone, I am sure Adam will have things that will need to be discovered and looked at differently giving the quilt of his life a beautiful new pattern.
Praying for you, him and all family that is involved.

dwil23
July 2nd, 2013, 09:12 AM
This is so beautiful! We use that word a lot when we look at quilts but when we see the remnants of a young mans life being 'pieced' together we see the real example of beautiful. The awesome things is you are going to have the blessing of helping hand quilt this young mans life in place to make it a strong, long lasting, warm road. Just like in making a quilt, there are sometimes things that need to be taken apart and redone, I am sure Adam will have things that will need to be discovered and looked at differently giving the quilt of his life a beautiful new pattern.
Praying for you, him and all family that is involved.

What a beautiful way to think of it!

asta
July 2nd, 2013, 09:44 AM
What a positive change you have made for this young man. Blessings to you and all involved, hope and pray things work out well for all of you.

GrammaBabs
July 2nd, 2013, 09:52 AM
Troubled people always need a chance... Bless you for being there for him... keep your eyes open, stick to your word and plan and enjoy the good that may come from it...I learned with my son.. NEVER stop trying... sometimes it just clicks, and when it does...it's so worth it!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll pray for you.....be strong,,, this is after all how we give back

MayinJerset
July 2nd, 2013, 09:52 AM
Blessings indeed that a young man has gained his family back and also a great Aunt like you.

SallyO'Sews
July 2nd, 2013, 10:52 AM
Well done, Auntie/Mom!! Praying for healing all around.
Blessings, ~ Sally \0/

auntiemern
July 2nd, 2013, 01:42 PM
Such a great story Meli. So very happy, that he has managed to find his way back to the people that love him. It is a good thing you are doing, and you will surely be blessed by having him in your life once again.

MartinaG
July 2nd, 2013, 02:40 PM
What a nice story. It warms my heart. I wish you continued growth as a family AND success with the surgery.

Miss Sheri
July 3rd, 2013, 12:05 AM
Thanks so much for sharing this beautiful experience with us. My heart was lightened while reading of the miracles of love and understanding that took place. And Meli, I'll be praying for you for your surgery too. The Lord's timing is amazing, that Adam will be there during this time period and can be a blessing to you as much as you are to him.

ilive2craft2
July 3rd, 2013, 12:13 AM
Oh Meli, this brought tears to my eyes. Glad that you are able to be there for him. Praying that your surgery goes well and you have a quick recovery.

Musical_Starling
July 4th, 2013, 05:14 AM
Meli, you truly are awesome :) And what a help he will be while you're recovering! Just don't let Jim teach him how to sew or else he'll want to stay forever :icon_giggle: